Question for those who buy limited print physical releases of games...

Dreakon13

Limited Print Games (Limited Run, Super Rare, Special Reserve, etc)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you open limited print/collectors editions of games?

• Yes. I open all of them. I see no reason to keep them sealed, I want to play/use them.
    • No. I keep them all sealed. They are collectors items and I'd prefer they retain their value.
    • Depends. Some games are more important to me than others, I just keep those sealed and open the rest.

This is a poll/question mostly aimed at people who follow Limited Run Games, Special Reserve Games, Super Rare Games and other limited print publishers that have been springing up lately.  As their names suggest, these publishers make limited print releases of (usually) download-only titles that otherwise wouldn't have gotten physical representation.  Oftentimes, given their shorter ordering periods or smaller print runs... this makes these releases somewhat more rare or valuable than your typical retail release, and kinda collectors items in their own right.

Kindly refrain from answering if you don't buy physical copies of games and don't participate in these limited print releases.  I'm not talking walking into Gamestop, buying Uncharted 4 and deciding whether or not to open it.  I'm talking about these releases that are only available for 5 minutes as all 2000 copies sell out in that time, or have an ordering window of two weeks before you can never buy it again (scalpers aside), etc.

Personally, I probably have a few dozen games across all of these groups between the PS4 and the Switch and I haven't opened a single one yet... even going as far as to get some cheaper additional plastic protective cases for a number of them.  Opting to find other cheaper or free ways to play the games and compliment my sealed collection.  Kinda thinking I may change my own rules though and start opening/playing them, and maybe just keep a few of my absolute favorites or the truly rare/most valuable ones sealed and protected.

So I'm a little curious how other people approach it, for anyone who would like to share.  I understand that some people will probably look at this like I'm crazy (why spend the money on these games to not open/play them)... but just chill. xD

EDIT: If anyone wants to grandstand about investment portfolios out of nowhere instead of talking about whether or not you open limited print/collectible games, feel free to PM me or better yet, just start a new thread.  Can't believe I have to clarify that.

Edited by Dreakon13

I just bought a "collector" version of Night Trap. I did it not because of the game but because of the box, so I keep it sealed (for now at least).

But I also bought a physical release of Hyper Light Dirfter (the one with the map) and I opened it because I want to play the game.

I think it depends on the object itself... If it's a special box I might keep it sealed, if not, I don't care about the value of the object and open it :)

I don't buy limited runs of games from the companies you've mentioned, but I do buy quite a few collectors/limited editions of games when I see ones that either have a lot of extra "goodies" or are for game series that I really like.... probably have a collection of about 20 different collectors/limited editions. All of them have been opened for two different reasons:
1) If I'm buying that specific edition for the extra items, I want to be able to take out the additional things to play around with them or put them on display.
2) I'm not going to buy a second copy of the game when I have access to a perfectly good copy contained inside the collectors' box (whether that second copy be a "standard" physical edition or a digital version).

I guess the way I see it is that I handle most of my stuff with care so everything remains in pretty much mint condition even if I've opened it. Having a thin layer of plastic only does a few things for me-- it protects it from dust, and it allows the item to retain value. Considering that I'm not planning on buying these editions to profit from them eventually, I don't care if the value is retained... and dust is pretty easy to clean off without damaging anything. 

I only buy games from LRG/Special Reserve/other limited release vendors if theyre games i'm interested in, and if i'm interested in them i open them up and keep them. Selling games is too much of a hassle for me and i hate scalpers as it is. I couldn't ever be one.

I feel like I should clarify that re-selling isn't the *only* reason to keep a game sealed.

Like I said... these are collector's items, by design, due to their brief availability periods and small print batches.  Being one of the few people to have the game is one thing, but one of the even fewer to still have a sealed copy is enticing to someone with a collector's mentality.  The more valuable something is, the better condition you want to keep it in and the more cache/weight you feel it gives the collection.

Edited by Dreakon13

I read this topic and immediately thought about "Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath" that was released as a hard retail copy very recently (it was manufactured and open to preorder a while ago, but has been finally released and delivered a few days ago).

I don't own the game, but It has caught my eye; and if I did own it, I would keep it sealed, since it's a collector's item for me at least.

I do own the Street Fighter's 25th Anniversary Edition and the Devs Team Edition of Dead Space 3, both of them limited print, and I opened both of them for showcasing purposes only, but all the inbox content is still sealed on both editions.

8 hours ago, Arctic Cress said:

I buy the games to play them. I simply prefer to have a physical copy over a digital one if possible, so these limited releases are something I do purchase pretty often.

This.  Absolutely.

I'm all about the physical games.  Fortunately for less-limited releases, I live in an area where there are something like 612 GameStops around if I'm willing to drive a little bit.  So I can always poke onto their website and see where a physical copy of a particular game is and make the trip.  Preferably new, but I'll take used over digital.

Honestly it depends on the game. If it seems like the type of series that I really enjoy then I'd like to have it still wrapped.  I'd play the digital ver. Limited copies mean they will only go up in value and they look super nice as collector's items.

If I REALLY care about having both pleasures then at times I invest in two copies (one for playing and the other for showcase)

I open them, there's no point otherwise. I have a few limited edition and collector's edition of games and never kept any sealed as I know I would never sell them anyway, and am happy to display them with the seal removed. The only reason i can find for keeping them sealed is if you plan to sell them at a later point when its worth much more.