This story makes no sense?? [SPOILERS]

ErikNus

So, spoilers.....

But this story makes absolutely no sense to me? I finished it three times and watched the other endings.

Who killed your father?

Was Greene just in your head?

If so, who messes up your apartment while you're in the hospital?

Or did she indeed fake her own death? Even though there are pictures of her corpse?

Does Greene just carry the body of the night manager to her house?

What is with the code in the chief's black book?

Is Blake in on the whole thing?

The game constantly teases you with questions, but doesn't provide any answers whatsoever. Big disappointment for me.

Edited by ErikNus

1 hour ago, ErikNus said:

So, spoilers.....

But this story makes absolutely no sense to me? I finished it three times and watched the other endings.

Reveal hidden contents

Who killed your father?

Or did she indeed fake her own death? Even though there are pictures of her corpse?

The game constantly teases you with questions, but doesn't provide any answers whatsoever. Big disappointment for me.

I guess it's up to interpretation depending on what path you take. Having approached it from all perspectives, here is my take on it:

Who killed your father?

-Definitely Greene.

-I'd say no, but maybe it's just your special butterfly powers at work?

-I'm thinking one of the Delphi cult searching for evidence/Delphic Epsilon seals or something. Or maybe Greene, but I don't know what she was looking for (maybe throwing the police off the path).

Edit: Actually, since Erica's journal is torn up and her mother's photo is missing, we know it's Greene because we find the photo at the altar. Or maybe one of the cult people placed it there for their ritual (I'm still unclear about that).

-It seems like she's very much real at the end. As far as the pictures of her being dead, it's possible she just inhaled some of that perfume and it put her into a near-death state (similar to Tobi at the end). Blake mentions at some point that there's a "body" buried in her grave, but it's not confirmed whether it's hers.

-I think we just go with it. Lots of movies/shows have improbable logic like this. Maybe she seduced him (it seemed like he was killed/skinned at the apartment).

-This, I have no idea. Blake has the same thing stashed in his car's sun visor. There are also codes when you do the rubbing on the notepad (in the office) and search the body for the scrap of paper (in the apartment). I'm wondering if it's an ARG code for players to solve in real life? I would be curious if anyone could decode what it says.

-Yes, you can spy on him underground, and he also attacks you if you side with Greene (you can choose to confront him about it).

I'd be interested in reading other people's takes on the story. For me, I'm curious as to how her mother can still be "alive" after all this time. I'm thinking the whole Butterfly mask ending is Erica embracing the madness/cult and falling victim to the mind-control/hallucinogenic properties of the oleander perfume. To me, it seems the best ending is burning down Delphi House with both Kirstie and Tobi escaping. In the interstitial titles, it says "her mother is set free and Erica has escaped." So it seems that Greene was right about the corruption and the whole thing was about shutting down the cult/hospital.

Edited by bud-arc
  • Like 4

I think the story is a bit silly, but good overall.  One thing I do like about the game is that it's a modern take on an FMV game.  I bought it largely because it's so cheap, but I found myself enjoying the game.  I think the format has promise; especially if more interactivity can be introduced in future games.  In many ways, this type of game is essentially a live action visual novel.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, bud-arc said:

I guess it's up to interpretation depending on what path you take. Having approached it from all perspectives, here is my take on it:

Reveal hidden contents

Who killed your father?

-Definitely Greene.

-I'm thinking one of the Delphi cult searching for evidence/Delphic Epsilon seals or something. Or maybe Greene, but I don't know what she was looking for (maybe throwing the police off the path).

Edit: Actually, since Erica's journal is torn up and her mother's photo is missing, we know it's Greene because we find the photo at the altar. Or maybe one of the cult people placed it there for their ritual (I'm still unclear about that).

-It seems like she's very much real at the end. As far as the pictures of her being dead, it's possible she just inhaled some of that perfume and it put her into a near-death state (similar to Tobi at the end). Blake mentions at some point that there's a "body" buried in her grave, but it's not confirmed whether it's hers.

-I think we just go with it. Lots of movies/shows have improbable logic like this. Maybe she seduced him (it seemed like he was killed/skinned at the apartment).

-This, I have no idea. Blake has the same thing stashed in his car's sun visor. There are also codes when you do the rubbing on the notepad (in the office) and search the body for the scrap of paper (in the apartment). I'm wondering if it's an ARG code for players to solve in real life? I would be curious if anyone could decode what it says.

-Yes, you can spy on him underground, and he also attacks you if you side with Greene (you can choose to confront him about it).

I'd be interested in reading other people's takes on the story. For me, I'm curious as to how her mother can still be "alive" after all this time. I'm thinking the whole Butterfly mask ending is Erica embracing the madness/cult and falling victim to the mind-control/hallucinogenic properties of the oleander perfume. To me, it seems the best ending is burning down Delphi House with both Kirstie and Tobi escaping. In the interstitial titles, it says "her mother is set free and Erica has escaped." So it seems that Greene was right about the corruption and the whole thing was about shutting down the cult/hospital.

My interpretation is the same as yours and I think:

Spoiler

The butterfly ending is the ending where the oleander perfume gets to her head and she starts to get nuts. I think that's what happened to Greene as well at some point. Erica was definitely hallucinating at the end because when you stand there and decide not to take the mask, she throws it to the ground and at the same time you see her throwing the candle thing (or what that was) and burning the whole thing to the ground. So I think the mask she sees was in her head.

And the best ending is definitely escaping with both Kirstie and Tobi and burning the whole thing to the ground. I'm not sure about killing Ballard but after what she did to all the girls I don't have a good feeling of just letting her go. But that's just my preference. I wonder how many girls they've already used and killed and for how long this was going on, since both Ballard and Lucien are old and have this facility for a long time. 

• Like 1

I've platinumed it twice now, and I feel like I've inhaled the oleander perfume myself now.

As all games like this one go, after a few playthroughs the story starts making no sense, and some mistakes start to show (like the door between the catacombs and the garden on one side having the seal, but on the other side a regular lock). So you just have to pick the thread you like the most and keep it as your main story.

In regards to your questions, I think it goes like this:

Who killed your father?

Greene

No, she was real and she stood with you the whole time after killing your father.

Greene, while killing Steinbeck.

Faked it with, somehow managed to change her body to be buried.

Yes.

Maybe an easter egg to solve.

Yes.

I might add, after going through this post, maybe they wanted to tell a story of split personalities. If so, it is not well developed.

• Like 1

I've played through it four times.

TWO things that doesn't make sense or didn't get explained.

Spoiler

After her first night at the hospital, Erica whinces when she was getting up. If you examine the mirror, it's revealed that she had a serious large bruise on her stomach. No explanation was given for this.

Spoiler

When Erica escapes from the basement, the door was locked by a simple bolt. But when Erica returns to the door from the outside with Greene, the medallion doesn't work and it's "sealed" from the inside. Why would anyone install a bolt on that door if you need a special key to open it?

9 minutes ago, KHDelBoy said:

After her first night at the hospital, Erica whinces when she was getting up. If you examine the mirror, it's revealed that she had a serious large bruise on her stomach. No explanation was given for this.

I've always wondered about this. Did she get punched in the stomach or suffer an accident or something? Maybe something that got cut early out of the game?

While we're at it, how come when Hannah or Lucien delivers the oleander humidifier thing, and you choose to bin it, you still wind up face up in a field? Who or what put me out there and for what purpose (what is that string tied to a branch and why is there a petal between her toe?)? I friggin' binned it!!

Maybe it breaks in the garbage, and that does the job some? Maybe it leaks, or some jackass comes back and plugs it back in when you're asleep. xD Kirstie said it man, sometimes they come in the night. :)

Spoiler

So one thing I'm on about...If Mia is not real, or is indeed dead. (would have been quite a while ago, too) Who exactly lives in the flat next door to Erica? If Greene is real and lived there, it makes sense to find Steinbeck there, but if it's all in Erica's head then...we can say Erica went out at night to kill Steinbeck and drag him there (maybe that's how she got the bruise, the guy was defending himself maybe) but that's a lot of work for one night. Not to mantion painting all the signs and hanging that crap everywhere.

Still. If Mia is not real, who was living in there? I mean what, they went off on vacation? And when the police found all that out, wouldn't they contact the landlord about this, to find out who rented this place? And if they looked like our supposed killer, and what her name and everything is? Makes no damn sense. Still, Blake isn't very orthodox here, not calling for backup when he sees Erica's appartement all busted up and just waltzing in there all like, yo sorry man some dude just up and busted this dump up. Pretty sloppy police work.

Place wasn't abandoned, that's for sure. Either way someone was living there. Medical stuff in the fridge points to...what? Must be Greene who placed it there, I don’t see how Erica would have murdered the guy, set the place up AND steal all the pink stuff in just one night. But maybe she did. Thing is, Erica being a giant murderer doesn't really add up to what Delphi House is doing to its patients. That's the last thing they want.

On the other hand, nobody ever seems to see Greene anywhere, not even when she's dying. Only people to see her are Erica, Blake and the caretaker, (in game as seen by player) both of the last two who die, possibly at Erica's hand? The game's conclusion is pretty nonexistent, except for when Erica decides to stay with Lucian amd keep the secret. More conclusive endings would have helped. Not that I mind, leaving with my best buds cheers me up, yo.

But what Itruly wish to know is about the paranormal side of this. If it's not all science and drugs, then what's all this about rituals and seeing the future? It obviously works, seeing the future. Otherwise Delphi staff wouldn't bother. But nothing is explained about the paranormal aspect that may be. Does anyone know anything about Greek mythology? Like Apollo or Delphi temple? What did all that crap do? Are there any Xena episodes about this?

Edited by TerminusCross

On 28-8-2019 at 3:43 AM, TerminusCross said:

Maybe it breaks in the garbage, and that does the job some? Maybe it leaks, or some jackass comes back and plugs it back in when you're asleep. xD Kirstie said it man, sometimes they come in the night. :)

Reveal hidden contents

So one thing I'm on about...If Mia is not real, or is indeed dead. (would have been quite a while ago, too) Who exactly lives in the flat next door to Erica? If Greene is real and lived there, it makes sense to find Steinbeck there, but if it's all in Erica's head then...we can say Erica went out at night to kill Steinbeck and drag him there (maybe that's how she got the bruise, the guy was defending himself maybe) but that's a lot of work for one night. Not to mantion painting all the signs and hanging that crap everywhere.

Still. If Mia is not real, who was living in there? I mean what, they went off on vacation? And when the police found all that out, wouldn't they contact the landlord about this, to find out who rented this place? And if they looked like our supposed killer, and what her name and everything is? Makes no damn sense. Still, Blake isn't very orthodox here, not calling for backup when he sees Erica's appartement all busted up and just waltzing in there all like, yo sorry man some dude just up and busted this dump up. Pretty sloppy police work.

Place wasn't abandoned, that's for sure. Either way someone was living there. Medical stuff in the fridge points to...what? Must be Greene who placed it there, I don’t see how Erica would have murdered the guy, set the place up AND steal all the pink stuff in just one night. But maybe she did. Thing is, Erica being a giant murderer doesn't really add up to what Delphi House is doing to its patients. That's the last thing they want.

On the other hand, nobody ever seems to see Greene anywhere, not even when she's dying. Only people to see her are Erica, Blake and the caretaker, (in game as seen by player) both of the last two who die, possibly at Erica's hand? The game's conclusion is pretty nonexistent, except for when Erica decides to stay with Lucian amd keep the secret. More conclusive endings would have helped. Not that I mind, leaving with my best buds cheers me up, yo.

But what Itruly wish to know is about the paranormal side of this. If it's not all science and drugs, then what's all this about rituals and seeing the future? It obviously works, seeing the future. Otherwise Delphi staff wouldn't bother. But nothing is explained about the paranormal aspect that may be. Does anyone know anything about Greek mythology? Like Apollo or Delphi temple? What did all that crap do? Are there any Xena episodes about this?

Yes, that's also my problem. There are just so many inconsistencies.

What is going on with the supernatural stuff? Surely, someone is seeing the future, because they are going through a loooot of trouble with al these girls...

Why does Erica have a bruise waking up?

Why does she sometimes wake up outside, with a petal in her toe?

Why do others wake up with a hand full of petals? Where do they come from? Surely, the perfume is enough?

And Mia Greene is just impossible, I'm sorry. If she's really real, why does no one else see her? Even when dying in the hallway, unable to continue, Kirstie says she didn't see anyone. There are so many hints that she's in your head, Lucien even says so at the end.

And why does the father keep saying 'It's you, Erica, it's always been you'? in the flashback? I took that to mean that she actually killed him. 

But, Greene also can't be fake, because then who would rent the appartment nextdoor, etc.?

• 10 months later...
On 8/27/2019 at 7:23 PM, KHDelBoy said:

I've played through it four times.

TWO things that doesn't make sense or didn't get explained.

Hide contents

Hide contents

When Erica escapes from the basement, the door was locked by a simple bolt. But when Erica returns to the door from the outside with Greene, the medallion doesn't work and it's "sealed" from the inside. Why would anyone install a bolt on that door if you need a special key to open it?

First one it because she was home and the night manager was searching her apartment she got in a fight with him is what makes most sense to me.

Second remember there a camera that saw her exiting the passage that why they closed it off.

Edited by DragosteDeimon
Didnt finish typing

They should have given us flashbacks on how she killed everyone or am I missing something? I got the platinum and finished it 7 times, but the story still bothers me.

1 hour ago, DragosteDeimon said:

First one it because she was home and the night manager was searching her apartment she got in a fight with him is what makes most sense to me.

Second remember there a camera that saw her exiting the passage that why they closed it off.

You mean to say she went back to her flat? Was it near Delphi House that she was able to go there, send the gift to Delphi House, and come back the same night?

So they knew that she already found out about the door? When you come back with Greene, the scene shows like it was her first time seeing that door.

I am with you that Greene might have been part of her imagination, but the way they told the story really leaves us confused like with Blake, how was she able to shoot him. There are 2 scenes with you injuring Blake and the other one not, he gets shot in the end, scenes show him got shot in the front and the back, so that's really confusing.

Maybe Greene is a poltergeist or something?

On 7/10/2020 at 2:24 AM, WhiteTigerRen said:

They should have given us flashbacks on how she killed everyone or am I missing something? I got the platinum and finished it 7 times, but the story still bothers me.

You mean to say she went back to her flat? Was it near Delphi House that she was able to go there, send the gift to Delphi House, and come back the same night?

So they knew that she already found out about the door? When you come back with Greene, the scene shows like it was her first time seeing that door.

I am with you that Greene might have been part of her imagination, but the way they told the story really leaves us confused like with Blake, how was she able to shoot him. There are 2 scenes with you injuring Blake and the other one not, he gets shot in the end, scenes show him got shot in the front and the back, so that's really confusing.

Maybe Greene is a poltergeist or something?

I feel like this whole response is spoilers.

Spoiler

The gunshot could have been a through shot. I'm currently working with a bizarre theory - someone is and has been drugging Erica to get her to do their bidding. The apartment next door had those mind altering drug vials. It's suggested Erica's dad was drugging her with them from a young age to make her susceptible, and see how she'd react. She was probably at a stage where she was easily manipulated with them. It's possible they even altered her perception of reality. Think about it... she was repeatedly exposed to hallucinogenic drugs for years if we can believe some of the stuff about her dad.

The question is, who owned the apartment with the drugs in them? I think Erica has been drugged by the owner of that apartment on multiple occasions. Greene almost is guaranteed to be a hallucination. She disappears randomly, and appears on the wrong side of the room. She does not obey the laws of physics. The phone calls only ever occur when no one else is in the room - how would they know Erica is alone? The phone calls are in her head, a hallucination. There's also the line repeated by Greene and Erica's dream father "It's you Erica. It's always been you." It's also possible she gets these revelations in hallucinated phone call form because she has been drugged and taken instructions by phone call before... but I digress.

There's a few ways I can take the "It's you" hallucination comment. One way, is Erica has been continuing to take the drugs herself. Erica owns the apartment across the way. She's drugging up, and her subconscious is acting out murder fantasies, and she's coping by using the hallucination of Greene (who really was her father's killer). She's acting out her father's murder on those she deems responsible, aided by mind altering drugs. I don't believe anyone can actually see the future - but I believe there is a real cult and the cult really does think seeing the future is real.

Option 2. Someone knows about Erica's dad experimenting on her and has been using the drugs to use Erica to mop up their dirty work... but then who? Dr. Ballard is interesting... Blake asks her 'why she is here' referring to Delphi House. She seems obsessed with the regression machine. I'm not 100% sure Ballard is convinced the rituals work... I am sure she's drugging the girls in 'the name of science' for the regression therapy, I'm just not sure if she'd doing it specifically because of the rituals, or because she's curious about the effects of the machine and drugs as a scientist. She is in charge of all the girls being used in the rituals, so she's heavily involved. She will tell you that the dreams of masks and flower petals is a consequence of the regression therapy, which we assume is not because you have those dreams even if you refuse the therapy... but would you remember the therapy itself in all scenarios? However, I hesitate to say she's the one telling Erica to murder, because if you push her, Ballard will tell you truthfully how to save Tobi, and she'll attempt to grab Kirstie and beg her to run with her because you are dangerous. This does not strike me as murderous behavior. Blake seems to be a dirty cop, but while he's in the pocket some of his lines, like telling Erica "I thought you were a victim" when there are no witnesses seems to indicate he is not the mastermind.

Honestly, of all the characters, if one is drugging Erica I would suspect Lucien. He and Erica's dad were close. He knew about the doll. I've found his dialogue with Blake to be the most interesting, almost like he's probing to see how close Blake's gotten. But then what would his motive be? Why wipe out all of his co-conspirators in part using Erica? I'd argue it's because they actually... care. The last guy to die (the chief inspector?) will try to reveal the whole thing to Erica seemingly if Erica draws close to his daughter. He probably wanted out. Perhaps the others wanted out too... or maybe they just knew too much. Maybe Lucien wanted a fresh start, new cultists with less of a conscience. It would help if Erica had a willing accomplice. But, when Erica makes a deal with Greene (a figment of her own mind), that's when things got out of hand. Lucien is no longer in control. She's figuring it out. She's fighting the drug's influence.

So how would the "Lucien drugs Erica" theory work? Lucien, or someone in his employ, owns the apartment across the street from Erica. I'd argue Steinbeck is the most likely candidate. Hear me out. Someone was legitimately spying on Erica. They were absolutely obsessed with the cult symbol. Steinbeck has the tattoo. He's an ardent cultist. Steinbeck does not live at the apartment, but he visits there... and he spies. He can see into Erica's apartment. Perhaps he even drugs her on occasion. He proves she's ready. (This means Steinbeck can act.) Lucien needs Erica for his rituals. He's also facing pushback from people in his cult, who wish to stop, mainly Kirstie's father. So, Lucien orders Steinbeck to kill the first man, and send Erica the arm. Steinbeck, the overeager pawn, agrees. Lucien pays off Blake to suggest Erica move there for safety. Blake even admits in one route Lucien is paying him to hide evidence. Once Erica is in his domain, he drugs her the first night with the perfume... and gives her very detailed instructions. He drugs Steinbeck too... Steinbeck is the night manager, he would be there. He tells Steinbeck to trash his own apartment, and to go to the neighboring apartment to wait, and don't resist. He tells Erica to trash her own apartment, go across to the neighbor's, and kill Steinbeck. Steinbeck was a liability, he was too radical, he knew too much. Even drugged, he may push back a bit, so Erica got injured... or maybe Steinbeck wasn't drugged, just ordered to that neighboring apartment, and taken unawares, and his own apartment was trashed later. Then the third victim, Kirstie's father... he is the one with a conscience. Erica begins to bleed, she's out of the way. Lucien knows he's setting Erica up as a fall guy. He says he's going with Blake. He finds an excuse to delay Blake for one minute... or maybe he even sprays him with the drug to stun him. One minute is all it takes (stun the victim with the drug, remove suit jacket while cutting to avoid blood, put suit back on to cover any stains). Erica finds that man bleeding to death within minutes of the nosebleed. I think this third man is the only one Lucien killed personally, either drugging or otherwise manipulating Blake to not suspect him. This is why we can find Lucien pressing Blake about what Erica knows, if she's lying - he wants all suspicion off of himself, and he also wants to make sure Blake isn't looking at him. He also wants to persuade Blake that Erica is guilty of all the murders. And like that, all of his dangerous cohorts are taken care of and he has his new butterfly. Ballard is too eager to pursue her research to be a problem, she has too much blood on her hands from past patients. Lucien's plan would be to continue to drug Erica, make her appear insane, and when she eventually got accused of all the murders, she would remain a patient at his hospital, undergoing regression therapy, the police and prosecution paid off to make it happen, as he has a long history of doing this. The rest Lucien couldn't foresee... he did not know Erica was hallucinating Greene. Her actions, killing the guard, killing Blake, they were a mistake. And so it goes.

This is a ridiculously complicated theory, but I'm REALLY struggling to see how else any of this would work... because if Erica was drugging herself... who was supplying the drugs?

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 1:52 AM, DragosteDeimon said:

Okay she has split personality one of Greene and one of herself. That why no one ever saw Greene but her Blake never saw her when he was getting shot. The other apartment was hers too that where she was when she was always having her outbreaks as Greene which is why there was a picture of Greene in the background that they found in that apartment she was fixated on her to get rid of the guilt of killing her father. Why she denied her being dead so much and why she "sees" her for the first time before the gift with the hand. Which she did to make herself face the reality by having to go back to Delphi house. Lots of things show she killed her dad like the flash backs of her jumping back with blood on her as a kid the nose bleeds are from a mental breakdown of finding out more and more of the truth. The vision of her father saying it you. It always been you. Her father and those others were doing experiments on her and that's why with her argument with "Greene" when "Greene" says her father made her a monster that was really what she was thinking and the reason Greene was running out of time was because she was realizing the truth or rejecting it. Also she is addicted to the petals that's why she always finding them everywhere she using them in her subconscious to tell herself that this is what influencing her. Also the whole seeing the future has to do with the butterfly and Delphi who is a Oracle of Apollo. The butterfly represents the Butterfly Effect like when something small in the past changes the whole future so if they can see the future they can change it for themselves. They believe the butterfly on her and her mother was a symbol of Delphi a Oracle. So they should of had the ability like a Oracle to see the future. The reason she asked Greene to show her how to kill is because that when her subconscious and her start to get along together and the reason "Greene" finally disappears because at that point in time you either accept her completely of the path she chose or you reject it making that side of her subconscious completely unneeded. The people there in the end are the guilty ones not her. They made her into a monster by trying to control her but her mind didn't break down it made Greene to protect her like Greene tried protecting her mother but the real Greene died from losing her mother. If you have any questions about pieces that don't fit post on my comment I will tell you how it fits the whole story fits it just you have to see through the dreams, reality and most of all the unreal.

I like this theory too and deeply considered it... my own rambling theory about an evil Lucien above. My major problems with this theory... does Erica have the materials to make the perfume, and if not, who is supplying it for her? With your theory, Greene wouldn't have killed Erica's father, but how then would Erica have known about Greene? From observing interactions at Delphi House? I know she lived there for a time, but the question would be how much she would have known Greene to associate Greene with her father's death.

I think if I personally went down the "Erica is the murderer" route, I'd have to make things completely different... I'd have to make the cult completely, 100% fake. Totally fake. All of it fake. And that Erica was insane before she ever killed her father.

I call this the non supernatural ending! So, child Erica is born to people doctors at Delphi house. Being doctors they are super involved in their work. They are always busy and not around. Erica's social interaction comprises of a lot of time with other patients... who aren't mentally fit and aren't the best role models. She starts picking up their behaviors. The Petals are a soothing smell... that's literally all it is. Erica begins showing worrying personality traits... her father decides to try his life's work, regression therapy, on his own daughter. It's his misguided way of trying to help her. It incorporates images of the masked creatures and the butterfly... it impacts her subconscious. The masks were in the hallway. The petals and the fire and the ritual, are all what Dr. Ballard says they are - byproducts of the regression therapy. But having your memories edited is hardly healthy. Erica is struggling to remain stable. It's made all the worse when her mother dies. She blames Greene for this. She would have interacted with Greene... Greene hogged her mother's attention. Greene took her mother away and it was Greene's fault her mother died. She would also blame her father, who was the one who had her mother committed. Erica's father continues the regression therapy, trying to mute Erica's pain at her mother's death, trying to mute her hatred of Greene... Erica finally snaps and kills her own father, carving the symbol of his work into his chest. She's kept at the hospital, and regression therapy continues. She... forgets. At 18 she's declared fit and released. But she's not fit. She owns the apartment. She makes the perfume... not because it does anything, but because it simply is nostalgic. She obsesses over Greene, who she still blames for her mother's death, and she's transferred this blame to her father's death. Erica is the one obessesed with the culture of the gods and the meanings, because for Erica, it has to be real, in order for her to keep her sanity. She commits the murders. Greene's manifestation is her subconscious trying to make her realize what she's done. Erica hallucinates shadows, the girls in masks, even flickering lights... she is the epitome of the unreliable narrator.

Erica was the murderer. The regression therapy was at fault. There is no cult. Just girls without people to care for them being abused by corrupt scientists to test out a therapy technique. The hidden petal room is tiny, hardly a ritual chamber... it's a place to grow ingredients, nothing more.

...And the sheer number of possibilities either makes this story excellent or beyond frustrating. -_-

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

The code in the book is incredibly easy to break, it's just two number substitutions for letters (01=A, 02=B, 03=C, etc).

The codes all turn into something like this:
TARA HOPKINS - 28 YRS - 18 MNTHS INPTNT - SINGLE - NLR/I - VOLUNTARY - HGG

I find the last two words vary sometimes, but I haven't bothered to decode more than a few.

So we have a woman's name, her age, how long she's been a patient, her marital status, "NLR/I" - my gut said that meant No Living Relative, but not sure about the /I.  Voluntary, how she was admitted, HGG is a medical condition.  Why would a person who works in a mental hospital be keeping a detailed log of this kind of information in code?  I'm imagining some abuse was occurring between this guy and the patients.  Of course, he could (in theory) be tracking who is being used by the cult and what happens to them, but I don't believe any of that is real.  I think his death is more because of what he's done, maybe even to Erica.

The title of the game, the logo, is very clearly the word ERICA split in half, which drives home the split personality she has with Mia Greene, so it wouldn't surprise me if she was molested by that doctor and killed him.

I think the whole underground and "keys" are a fabrication of her mind.  Honestly, how else would Kirstie show up at the end?  She doesn't have a Delphi key.

There's a lot that doesn't add up if it's all in Erica's mind, but I think there is enough to say the cult isn't real (the rejection of the butterfly mask shows that that whole room was fake).  I think this is just a sick girl who maybe killed her father, but definitely killed other people.

After playing this through several times, I'm quite frustrated because there just isn't enough to go on in any direction and the story leaves me wanting more revealed while disappointed because it doesn't reveal anything.  I would enjoy more game experiences like this one, just hopefully with a better crafted story.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 10:52 PM, DragosteDeimon said:

Okay she has split personality one of Greene and one of herself. That why no one ever saw Greene but her Blake never saw her when he was getting shot. The other apartment was hers too that where she was when she was always having her outbreaks as Greene which is why there was a picture of Greene in the background that they found in that apartment she was fixated on her to get rid of the guilt of killing her father. Why she denied her being dead so much and why she "sees" her for the first time before the gift with the hand. Which she did to make herself face the reality by having to go back to Delphi house. Lots of things show she killed her dad like the flash backs of her jumping back with blood on her as a kid the nose bleeds are from a mental breakdown of finding out more and more of the truth. The vision of her father saying it you. It always been you. Her father and those others were doing experiments on her and that's why with her argument with "Greene" when "Greene" says her father made her a monster that was really what she was thinking and the reason Greene was running out of time was because she was realizing the truth or rejecting it. Also she is addicted to the petals that's why she always finding them everywhere she using them in her subconscious to tell herself that this is what influencing her. Also the whole seeing the future has to do with the butterfly and Delphi who is a Oracle of Apollo. The butterfly represents the Butterfly Effect like when something small in the past changes the whole future so if they can see the future they can change it for themselves. They believe the butterfly on her and her mother was a symbol of Delphi a Oracle. So they should of had the ability like a Oracle to see the future. The reason she asked Greene to show her how to kill is because that when her subconscious and her start to get along together and the reason "Greene" finally disappears because at that point in time you either accept her completely of the path she chose or you reject it making that side of her subconscious completely unneeded. The people there in the end are the guilty ones not her. They made her into a monster by trying to control her but her mind didn't break down it made Greene to protect her like Greene tried protecting her mother but the real Greene died from losing her mother. If you have any questions about pieces that don't fit post on my comment I will tell you how it fits the whole story fits it just you have to see through the dreams, reality and most of all the unreal.

Exactly, she's the one who killed her father, she's a hardcore split personality disorder. Probably from her inhaling the oleander at a young age, thinking she's seeing things, seeing others murder, even though she's doing it. It's kinda similar to the movie My Bloody Valentine 3D with Jensen Ackles, plus other movies I've seen that were similar like High Tension, where you see what they see during the movie, but then it shows what really happened. In Erica it hints with some flashbacks and isn't hard to figure out, plus with Greene she knew who she was and met at a young age, so it became her scape goat. I also don't deny that they were doing experiments on the patients and possibly some cult was going on, but most was in her head. That's what I got from it, I played 5 times, that's enough for me, not playing again to figure more out.

Edited by Nitemares-----
  • Like 1

I just finished the game for the first time, making a blind run. I got the Happy Family ending but honestly I am disappointed: the story was catchy at first, but as I kept playing I started to be confused, for some reason I started not to understand everything. I hope the next runs will make me change my mind, but I doubt that. Really a shame, I like story driven games like this and as said the story was catchy at first, but I don't know why it just bored me afterwards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 10:50 PM, stevenandloan said:

Hide contents

Who killed your father?

-Definitely Greene.

Blake only attacks if you kill the security guard before entering the underground with Greene because at that point he is convinced you are the murderer.

In your final dialogue options with him Erica says, "I thought you were a cop" and he says "And I thought you were a victim" or "I am. And you're a threat."

The underground spy spot is damning but it's still unclear how much he knows despite Mia insisting he is in on it.

I think it can safely be said that Mia is a figment of Erica's imagination, a stronger alter ego she fabricated to confront the responsibility borne from the trauma of her father's death. Because, let's face it, Erica is a wimp. Proof for this line of inquiry is that Mia, as a user previously mentioned, doesn't obey the laws of physics, vanishing at will and making herself manifest only when Erica is alone or needs help. Her being on screen at the same time with an extra character (who gets killed ie. Blake or the guard) I'll let it slide as poetic interpretation of split personality. Fight Club would have been shit otherwise. It is established multiple times that Erica is an unreliable narrator.

I would like to shift the attention towards the fox: as a symbol it is certainly connected to Mia (she's wearing a fox mask the first time we see her), and the foxes you meet in-game always appear in situations where Mia is involved or when Erica nurtures her delusion about the cult. Why deliberately create such a connection if ultimately it adds nothing to the plot? Is the fox the edgy, rebellious priestess, like Tobi? Nonsense.

Also, what is with the mural in the attic? The three beasts (fox, deer, rabbit) sit around a blazing house with the motto "Know thyself" in greek, shone on by the light of the butterfly above them. Where does the goat rising from the flames come into play I wonder.

It is certain that something shady is going on in the asylum: girls can't be dropping like flies for no reason. But how many girls do they have to cycle through? They all look like they won't last long after giving a wiff at the oleander extract. It really seems that the only cultist was Erica's father, and the other scientists went along with it. Lucien is the most rational of the lot, but he secretly desires his friend's story to be true, so he lets the human experiments go on. His pragmatic resolve is demonstrated by the removal of the delphic epsilon plaque placed at the entrance to the asylum after Erica's father's death. Bellard is a student of Erica's father, openly admitting he taught her everything he knew, so to carry on his dream was just natural. The Chief Inspector was there for the ride and got caught in. Blake reeks of untrustworthiness as soon as you hear him speak, but after exploring all the endings it really is plain incompetence.

Last but not least, the prisoner ending and generally the ending titles. The former tries to pull off a kind of Shutter Island stunt, stating that maybe all that happened was really in Erica's head, though maybe there really was something in the lighthou- I mean, basement. Also Mia is shown as a nurse, and if we take for granted she is real (thus discarding everything that happened story wise but not the untold events before the actual story) she is probably the mastermind of the entire game plot, brainwashing Erica for who knows which reason, using the same words we hear Erica's father speak at the beginning of the game. If she isn't real then Erica is trapped in a delusion and everything in game actually happened. Or it could even be Erica's subconscious slowly fighting back. Who knows.

The latter (the ending titles) always give some sort of summary for the consequences of the choices you made. They all ultimately trod around the same themes: sanity, your mother's fate, your fate and Mia's (she is referred to as "the mentor").

Ultimately every story is about a search for one's self, and really the motto "know thyself" couldn't be more appropriate for this game. Erica is mentally ill: will she fall prey to her madness, succumb to uncertainty and become nothing more than a mindless husk? Will she align herself with her mother's wishes or her father's dreams? Or will she fight back and carve out her own story, leaving the past behind?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Alright, my biggest question here after my first playthrough? Why is it that when you first get to the hospital and undergo the regression therapy, when they're trying to get you to determine the killer's face, does Erica draw her mother? On top of the confusing, "It's you, Erica. It was always you." from her father (alluding to Erica being the killer), you have the potential for Green to be the murderer. Yet Erica draws her mother when trying to picture her father's killer? I just can't make heads or tails with this game. Whenever you start following a lead, it steers you a different direction...

Edited by MistahMcCutcheon

• 2 weeks later...

@KhajiitWerewolf Solid interpretations! After finishing all endings I had a few theories in mind but after reading your posts I think the story is even more disappointing to me. However, I'd like to share my theories. After all I think this story is rather complicated and I don't completely get what they want to tell us.

Everything is just a vision. When the game starts, Erica's father tells her, her mother is always a part of her even though she's not there (because she's dead). This just might be a way to calm Erica so she can cope with her trauma. When looking into the fire Erica manifests her fears of loss, she doesn't want to lose her father too and be alone. The symbol on his chest just shows that Erica is connecting the Delphi House with her father, that's obvious because he founded it. In this theory it really is just a hospital/asylum. Psychologically speaking it's possible that people with severe fears of loss see their loved ones dead and slaughtered in nightmares. Everything from there on is just the imagination of young Erica living with the trauma and slowly going through the five stages of grief. But this theory would only make sense if you go for the Butterfly ending. Mia Greene, which is just the voice of denial in Erica's head, says her mother is still alive, the first stage of grief. So, after Erica went through the story and did everything to get to her mother you'll see one of the few times where Erica is genuinely smiling because "she saved her mother". In fact, it's the point where Erica accepts her mother is dead and finds peace. This is the only ending that fades to white before the credits roll and it's unsure what happens next. Is Erica still in the Delphi House or did she escape? These questions are irrelevant for this ending because everything just happened in her mind, going through all stages of grief with the fade to white being the last stage, Acceptance. Everything on screen, except the first scenes with Erica sitting in front of the chimney, never really happened. However, every other ending wouldn't fit this theory, or you could say, she's still in one of the stages of grief, but that wouldn't really be an ending to the story. But maybe the authors had this ending in mind and built all other endings around it? But I must admit, if this is true it would be quite a shallow story.

Mia Greene is Erica's split personality. The logo of the game is the word Erica split in half and slightly displaced. That would totally fit this theory. However, why would she kill her own father in that way he died or at all? I don't think it's physically possible for a very young person to actually do that to a person's chest. Also, who's living across the hallway? Why would she rent another flat and, especially, why doesn't the police know? It shouldn't be that hard to figure out that Erica actually rented two flats. If someone else killed her father why would she adapt that personality? Furthermore, why would she send herself the hand with the medallion? Why would she kill the night manager, drag him to her flat, skin him, send it to herself and additionally trash two flats? Even if we'd say she did that because she's crazy, how would it be possible to do all that in one night without anyone noticing? In this theory the Delphi House is again an actual hospital/asylum. How could a patient walk away that easily, kill someone and come back like nothing happened? Highly unlikely. However, it would explain why you can't ignore Mia. No matter what you do, she will always be part of the sequences towards the end. But I think the authors just wanted this theory to be the obvious explanation but it should just catch you to further dive down into the story, otherwise the complete story wouldn't need multiple endings.

Lucien Flowers became obsessed with "seeing the future" and built the cult. When Lucien and Erica's father founded the Delphi House they actually founded it as an asylum. When Erica's parents met, the story of the mother were nothing more than astrology. But Lucien got obsessed with it and persuaded Erica's parents to do some testing. During the studies the mother died (i.e. got killed by Lucien), but he kept that a secret, how she really died and nobody suspected him. At some point, Lucien decided to not take the risk of being caught and instructed Mia Greene, be it with drugs or she's just part of the cult, to kill Erica's father to keep the secret, or maybe Erica's father actually found out and Lucien panicked. Because he's still obsessed he continues his study with other girls in the asylum. Because, obviously, nothing worked in terms of seeing the future he assumes that it has something to do with the butterfly birthmark. He sends Erica the severed hand to lure her into the Delphi House so he can control her. When she arrives at the Delphi House he's trying to manipulate her. When in the garden where you can choose between the three girls he warns Erica that some of the girls can be quite manipulative, but only if Erica decides to not make perfume, because the perfume is what he needs to drug Erica. He tries to manipulate her so she essentially drugs herself. But even if you take the paths to ignore any drugs he always manages to drug her with that diffuser (I think this is the biggest evidence that he's the bad guy here). As the story progresses Lucien gets a new problem, Blake and the chief inspector. In the spy-sequence in the underground you can hear how Lucien tries to convince Blake Erica must've killed the chief inspector, when in fact he might have arranged the phone call to leave with Blake and make it look like Erica killed him. I think they've started to figure out all that messed up stuff that is going on in the asylum, so Lucien instructs Mia to kill them as well. That would also explain why the chief inspector hands Erica the "we need to talk" note because maybe he wanted to warn Erica and wanted to talk in private because he started to worry about his daughter Kirstie that she's not only treated in the asylum but used for messed up experiments. (Maybe even Blake is part of this cult and the chief inspector figured that out too, but why would they kill Blake if he's one of them?) When they drug Erica again in the barn they're trying to make Erica think she's the murderer ("It's you Erica, it's always been you"), as part of a drugged hypnosis. This theory would fit all endings and only Erica's willpower to resist the drugs and manipulative influence would decide which ending you're seeing. However, if this theory should be true it's very unsatisfying that there's no ending with Blake (and/or the chief inspector, depending on if Blake is one of them or not) and Erica revealing all that, put Lucien and the staff into prison and saving all patients in the Delphi House.

I think the story is kind of great and bad at the same time. There is a whole bunch of stuff you can interpret but in the end there are still too many unanswered questions. In my opinion the best ending is the one where you save Tobi and Kirstie but I'm still thinking the ending would be even better if you could combine it with the innocent trophy, you could with the additional ending of my last theory. I dislike that you only have the chance to escape if you kill Lucien. Let's face it, if you burn the Delphi House you might also kill the staff being trapped in the flames, not to mention you already became a murderer by killing Lucien. All endings are rather depressing. Overall, I think this story is very unsatisfying even though I enjoyed playing it, if that makes sense. To me, Erica was a very weird experience and I thought a lot about the plot after playing each run and it evoked a rather uncomfortable mood but I couldn't stop playing it and I don't know if that is a good or bad thing, to be honest. But, story aside, I really liked the gameplay in terms of interactivity and the quality of the filming and acting, especially Erica's actress did a great job in my opinion. I hope we will see more games with that style because it's a fresh way to tell an interactive story beyond just offering options.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

OK just finishing up the plat and I appreciate reading some ideas about the story.

I for one was hoping for more as I went through all my playthroughs but the choices didn't really change up the story enough and too much was left unsaid. I am not someone who needs a story handed to me on a plate but they could have gone into a little more detail.

Also I wish the endings were actual endings and not just a bit of text. I mean we went through the same story 5 times...give me a little more than 2 girls pointing a flashlight at me (for example).

It would have been neat if this was like Virtue's Last Reward and the story got more in depth the more you rewound time.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

The Story of Delphi House. 

Erica's father stumbles upon Delphi lore and mixes science to cause similar future-seeing effects. To do this, he approaches Lucien to make an asylum together where they will host female patients to play the fox, rabbit, and deer. Erica's mother becomes the first butterfly we know about and it is speculated that Mia Green might be one of the other three masks at this time. 

Mia grows concerned about what really goes down, as the father and Lucien drug all the female patients with the peddles parfum. With the parfum, they make each girl watch the hypnotic slide show to make them play their part. Mia ends up killing Erica's father, then fakes her death (If we believe she is still alive and not in Erica's head.) 

Lucien makes sure to keep Erica's mother in the hidden door while running the asylum for many years. 

Present day: Erica now lives alone, with a nabor across from her flat (Mia). She still has nightmares about her father's death and draws the Delphi symbol. One day she get a package with a medallion and a Delphi house guard's hand. Mia sent it for Erica to keep, but she reported it to the police. Blake knows it's Greek somehow, making it clear he is in on it. 
You are taken to the Delphi house for protection and figure out your mother worked there, then was admitted to the hospital. You also notice that the figures in the mask are girls. Every opportunity you have to tell about seeing the masked figures leads to you saying girls in masks.  From there, you get to your room, memories of the dol, and wake up the next day. 

Meet all the patients, some who say they see peddles falling. This improves on the theory that the rabbit, deer, and fox are the other patients, drugged up on the leaves. Hannah, Tobi, and the police daughter are clearly the other masked figures in your dreams. The police girl was the rabbit as she liked that one the most. 

Following therapy or not, you delve deeper into the secrets of the house and learn that the doctor is in on it, as she knows a lot of the Delphi flower lore. You also find one of several key holes in the walls. After another guard is dead, you return to your flat to find his body and listen to Mia on the phone. Going to the inspector's house, it seems he wishes to confess to you what is going on. Maybe out of guilt his daughter is also forced to play a role. But he dies before he can tell you, leaving you his medallion, a notepad, and a drawn map of the underground ritual room. 

Mia appears and gets you to enter the underground and to meet her later. After searching the underground, uncovering more of how they brainwash and dispose of bodies, you find the secret door that holds the masks and your mother. Meeting up with Mia again, she explains all the lore. There always had to be three (Deer, Fox, and Rabbit which was once her and two others, but now was Hannah, Tobi, and Police Girl). Either join her or not, but you will return to the mansion and either save Tobi, kill the doctor, or Lucien. Accept your faith as the butterfly or run away. 

The plot is straight forwards mostly straight. The girls are there to be experimented on, to see if they can make more butterflies like Erica. While also getting the girls to act as the three animals during the night, which is why all see falling petals in their dreams. Erica's mom being alive I'm unsure, seeing how when you accept the drugs and enter her secret cave, we don't get to see a body, just the mask. 

Spoiler

I'm super late to this, but there's something it seems people are leaving out.

And that is that oleander is highly toxic. And poison from it causes seizures, and hazy vision, and heart issues, and vomiting. Everyone there is being poisoned.

I think the Delphi house would have a lot more credibility if it was just a random flower, and we only thought it was oleander because of Erica. But everyone keeps mentioning what kind of flower it is. This stuff is not safe to even handle without gloves. Turning it into a perfume is very deadly.

That, coupled with the fact that they have secret tunnels, makes it really hard for me to take the side that the Delphi house is up to anything that isn't nefarious.