How many of you got the Battlefield 3 Beta?

ille1234

I got the beta and am really disappointed with it. The guns have large recoil which isn't a huge problem. The spawn system is prob the worst problem. Why did they add some motion blur when you spawn on a teammate. Every time I spawned I died instantly due to that and also because there's no 5 second invisibility. I like the maneuvering, simple and fluid. IDK if it was a glitch/bug but I encountered an enemy that had his red light on his gun and it flashes on you so you can't see anything. Kinda like that one scene in the film Kick-Ass. All in all, not buying this.

After a few more hours of playing i really feel like DICE dropped the ball graphically on the ps3 version of the game. I mean, look at the pc version, the ps3 version looks like crap compared to that, it really shouldn't be like that considering all the sacrifices they made (Not HD, smaller maps, fewer players etc.).

Just look at Killzone 3 or Uncharted 3, those are proof of what the ps3 can do. It should at least be a bit better graphicaly imo.

Don't get me wrong though, i absolutely adore the game i just feel like the most graphically hyped game of the year isn't what it was set out to be.

Other then that though, the game is perfect in every single way :D

I got the beta and am really disappointed with it. The guns have large recoil which isn't a huge problem. The spawn system is prob the worst problem. Why did they add some motion blur when you spawn on a teammate. Every time I spawned I died instantly due to that and also because there's no 5 second invisibility. I like the maneuvering, simple and fluid. IDK if it was a glitch/bug but I encountered an enemy that had his red light on his gun and it flashes on you so you can't see anything. Kinda like that one scene in the film Kick-Ass. All in all, not buying this.

The red is supposed to be there, to blind you ;)

After a few more hours of playing i really feel like DICE dropped the ball graphically on the ps3 version of the game. I mean, look at the pc version, the ps3 version looks like crap compared to that, it really shouldn't be like that considering all the sacrifices they made (Not HD, smaller maps, fewer players etc.).

Just look at Killzone 3 or Uncharted 3, those are proof of what the ps3 can do. It should at least be a bit better graphicaly imo.

Don't get me wrong though, i absolutely adore the game i just feel like the most graphically hyped game of the year isn't what it was set out to be.

Doesn't shock me for a second. They came right out on many occasions and said the consoles will pale in comparison to the PC version, both in terms of features and graphics. I think many will be disappointed when they see the game they spent $60 on isn't half as pretty to look at as the trailers/gameplay footage they've been watching on GameTrailers for months.

Hopefully the gameplay is so good they can look past it. Or hopefully it isn't... I don't care. BF3 and MW3 are pretty far off my radar at this point lol.

Doesn't shock me for a second. They came right out on many occasions and said the consoles will pale in comparison to the PC version, both in terms of features and graphics. I think many will be disappointed when they see the game they spent $60 on

isn't half as pretty to look at as the trailers/gameplay footage they've been watching on GameTrailers for months.

Hopefully the gameplay is so good they can look past it. Or hopefully it isn't... I don't care. BF3 and MW3 are pretty far off my radar at this point lol.

I knew that it wouldn't be as good as on the pc but come on, they can do way better than this...

Lucky for me though, the gameplay is fantastic. Can't wait to try out the jets and whatnot :D

I just finished playing the BF3 BETA for a couple of hours, and I have to say......I was somewhat disappointed.

Yes, I realize it is a BETA, but here are some things I have noticed:

1. Graphics - Very sub-par compared to the game trailers they have been releasing. With the game out in about a month, the texture mapping should have already been completed. Now the graphics may improve with the physical disk, but from what was presented on the BETA, I am very underwhelmed.

2. Weapons - Very unbalanced. It seems as if any weapon can be used as a sniper weapon and pick off players from across the map.

3. Sniping/camping - It is already very prevalent, almost sadly so. The addition of the new "prone" position only encourages those so lacking in skill that they have to camp or snipe constantly to be even more inclined to do so.

As a HUGE Battlefield fan, I have to say I may be rethinking my "Day 1" purchase of this game based on what was presented in the BETA.

I would like to note that I have been involved with many BETA's before, and although certain "oddities" and refinements are to be expected with any BETA, from what I have seen, I am wondering if there still isn't much work to be done on this title. I am hoping that (as is too common anymore), gamers aren't going to end up paying for a BETA with patches released after the monies are collected.

I just finished playing the BF3 BETA for a couple of hours, and I have to say......I was somewhat disappointed.

Yes, I realize it is a BETA, but here are some things I have noticed:

1. Graphics - Very sub-par compared to the game trailers they have been releasing. With the game out in about a month, the texture mapping should have already been completed. Now the graphics may improve with the physical disk, but from what was presented on the BETA, I am very underwhelmed.

2. Weapons - Very unbalanced. It seems as if any weapon can be used as a sniper weapon and pick off players from across the map.

3. Sniping/camping - It is already very prevalent, almost sadly so. The addition of the new "prone" position only encourages those so lacking in skill that they have to camp or snipe constantly to be even more inclined to do so.

As a HUGE Battlefield fan, I have to say I may be rethinking my "Day 1" purchase of this game based on what was presented in the BETA.

I would like to note that I have been involved with many BETA's before, and although certain "oddities" and refinements are to be expected with any BETA, from what I have seen, I am wondering if there still isn't much work to be done on this title. I am hoping that (as is too common anymore), gamers aren't going to end up paying for a BETA with patches released after the monies are collected.

1. Agreed, i'm VERY pissed about the graphics...

2. Imo this was the case on BC2 as well, luckily there's a lot more recoil so that makes it harder to snipe with an smg :)

3. Yupp, camping in this game is way to common. The fact that there's prone doesn't make it better. However i think that the prone is way more usefull than it is annoying. Knifing a comping sniper in this game is soooo satisfying :D

I've also participated in quite a few betas and this is the most buggy one i've ever laid eyes upon. Imo, the should push back the release if they have to in order to fix the PS3 version of the game since it feels like there's way to many bugs for them to fix in but a month...

Are there any vehicles in the beta? If the consoles are getting a smaller number of players per game and smaller maps, will there still be jets and aircrafts and whatnot?

There are no vehicles in the beta, however there will be in the full game. Jets, aircrafts and tanks will be available :)

I got it, played about an hour of it. It certainly doesn't look amazing, just okay. The sound is incredible though and some of the extra effects are nice. Once thing I noticed was how much they overused the lighting in the game. Sometimes, it's just way too much when you have all of the sun in your face, and in some areas, it's unrealistic and just put me off completely.

There are other things I could point out but they are quite obvious.

I'm going to be very smug and say "I told you so" to anyone that expected even half of the graphical prowess of the trailers/PC version. They said right from the get-go that console gamers were getting the shaft.

Having been a PC gamer for many years, I am well aware (as other should be as well), that consoles can't touch PC's in regards to their graphics prowess. None-the-less, BF3 is touting the improved graphics in general, and from what I have seen this is certainly not the case based by what was presented to us in the BETA.

For those who are familiar with BETA's, especially on the PC, the BF3 BETA reminds me of a "Prestigious Closed BETA" as they used to have on the PC...basically a storyboard version where the physics are being tested and put through their paces; a version of a game that is still 6 months or more before an Open BETA is considered.

I think they may have shot themselves in the foot releasing this Open BETA, as from what was presented and offered to the masses is not reminiscent of a game undergoing a few glitches and tweaks (Open BETA), but more so of a very unrefined and massive work in progress (Closed BETA).

As I have stated as well, I am a HUGE Battlefield fan, and I approached this BETA with a somewhat "I'll overlook a few things because it IS Battlefield" mentality...but even being a huge fan, one can not overlook glaring, problematic and apparently very unfinished aspects of a game with an Open BETA that is less than a month from release.

In most circumstances, a Open BETA is like a game-trialer: It offers those involved in the BETA a "WOW" factor while allowing the programmers and gamers a chance to find problems that may arise within the game after in-house and Closed BETA's have run their course. The only "WOW" I got from this BETA was: "Wow....this game is still in its infancy and has a long way to go before release."

I have no doubt that (again, as is far too common with developers anymore), this title will release with a "Day 1" patch that is massive. That folks is not a game by any means, that is a BETA that they will be charging you $60+ for.

• Like 1

I'm pretty dissappointed in the new Frostbite2 engine. I agree with many of you that lighting is too bright, the foliage sucks, camping is everywhere, the spawn points, etc. I'm too old and slow to play COD so this series always appealed to me. Many people blamed Activision for milking their cash cow every year, but EA has rushed this plain and simple. The game will go gold in a week or two and many of the issues will not be resolved. Wade_VC is correct in saying it feels like a closed beta and needs 6 months minimum to reach many of our expectations.

I agree with most this game needs to be delayed in order to fix the bugs but to be honest I don't think they care cause the sooner they get it out the more cash they get.

And the way the developers see it is if there is a problem we can fix it in updates now.

I dont think one game I have played has had no problems developers seem to think they can get away with it by just using the update feature imo.

Sadly yes, that is the truth....and the gamers will get the shaft because of it.

true both call of duty and battlefield fans will because obviously cod is pushing for a quick release also and from past experience we all know what problems their games have lol.

It seems I'm not as picky as the rest of you. :mellow:

I've had a really good time with the Beta so far. I never expected the console graphics to come even close to what has been shown in their promotional videos, so I was pleasantly surprised when I launched the game on my PS3, I think it looks great. That being said, I'm not a graphics whore, I think gameplay is king and Battlefield 3 is miles ahead of Bad Company 2 in that regard. Sure I've ran into a few bugs so far but nothing that has me really worried and this Beta has just made me more excited for the launch. I wish MW3 would have a Beta as well, but I'll be buying both games regardless.

Parker

It's a Beta.

There are supposed to be problems with it.

People who complain about the graphics, need to go read and do research before doing so.

EA's "Sport" textures are garbage and we knew that..

Everything else is fine, and or has been acknowledged, and will be correct in the FR.

I'm buying 10 copy's... :P

I'm pretty dissappointed in the new Frostbite2 engine. I agree with many of you that lighting is too bright, the foliage sucks, camping is everywhere, the spawn points, etc. I'm too old and slow to play COD so this series always appealed to me. Many people blamed Activision for milking their cash cow every year, but EA has rushed this plain and simple. The game will go gold in a week or two and many of the issues will not be resolved. Wade_VC is correct in saying it feels like a closed beta and needs 6 months minimum to reach many of our expectations.

That pretty much sums eveything up.

I wouldn't mind waiting another six months for the game if that means that it'l be twice as good but sadly, that's not going to happen knowing EA and their urge to beat CoD to the ground. They shouldn't give a damn about numbers, just the quality of the product on all playable systems.

It's a Beta.

There are supposed to be problems with it.

Yes, that is true, but there are also different types of BETA's. Anyone who is not familiar with or knows the difference between a Closed BETA and an Open BETA will naturally respond with the atypical "It's a BETA, it's supposed t have issues."

When a game reaches the point of offering a Open BETA to the masses, the developers are looking for glitches and abnormalities in gameplay or in todays era, online gaming issues, all other aspects with Open BETA's are (usually) well refined and ready to go, such as the texture mapping/graphics, sound, ect.

Especially when any Open BETA offers a limited map or level, it is very typical for said Open BETA to put its best foot forward in regards to the graphics, sound and the aesthetics of the game. A good 90% of those who participate in Open BETA's never take the time to reply to the developers or report problems, but view the Open BETA as a "free chance to play a game", and many developers are aware of this, which is also why when a game offers a Open BETA, it is, for the most part, ready to go, minus a glitch or two that can only be exploited and discovered with numbers en-mass online.

As I have said, I am a HUGE fan of Battlefield, and think it is one of the best FPS's available on the PS3. However, there is also a difference between being an honest fan and a "Fanboy", the latter many times being so blinded by a game or franchise that they will purposely overlook glaring issues with a game.

I hope beyond all hope that BF3 pulls in the reins and delivers to its fans what they have been promising for almost 2 1/2 years. But after having participated in well over 160 BETA's in 10 years (mainly PC and a dozen or so on the PS3); I have to say, from first hand experience, this Open BETA looks frighteningly too rough for being less than a month from it's release date.

Will BF3 ultimately pull off what they have promised?

I am sure they will, but I just don't see it delivering on that promise in less than a month.

... naturally I would LOVE to be proven wrong, and I truly hope I am, but one can not deny facts out of sheer hope and crossed fingers.

"Day 1" patch will be massive, with a few more following after that.

• Like 1

My impression was like this "This is shittier than Crysis 2 beta", and I didn't even like crysis 2. I've tried 3 open betas this year (Killzone 3, Crysis 2, and BF3). None of them was any good. I had no intention of buying Crysis 2 before the beta, but for Killzone 3 and BF3 I canceled my pre-order after trying their betas. I guess I'll just stick with CS: Source until next year.

Edit: just as the guy above me said, you will get the game as exactly as the open beta. Years of playing betas mmo has taught me this.