Is this plat still doable?

TemplePilot

In my opinion Dead Cells has ALWAYS been hard! ? I have seen a marked increase in difficulty with the new updates so perhaps you should play without the updates BUT you will miss out on cool new items, skills and a new Boss so maybe you shouldn't if you want the best out of the game ??

Your choice  ?

Edited by zorba-da-greek

Very do-able, you can back out of the game at any moment and copy your save file and then jump back in making the plat a 4/10, if it didn't have this option I would put it up at 8.5/10.  You don't even need to use the cloud the game lets you copy your saves in the game app.  This is the first roguelike/lite that I know of that lets you save and come back mid run.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 10:51 AM, Eternal21 said:

Just platted it last week.

My #1 tip is to not unlock new weapons.  Just unlock the persistent improvements, and if you need a certain number of unlocks, keep unlocking outfits instead.  This way when you're ready to handle harder difficulties, you'll be able to unlock only the weapons you want and come across them much more often.  I ended up beating everything with the Electric Whip. I don't even think you need to unlock it.  It's the best weapon as it auto-targets enemies, so you don't need to worry about fliers.  It also works with both melee and tactic upgrades.  I just went full tactics, which also is great for most bows.

The best way to grind for cell forge items is by replaying the game on easiest difficulty.  You need 10,000 to unlock the rarest items.  You can get 300-500 cells per run.  Cells carry over from one run to another, so once you get enough on easiest difficulty you can switch to higher one and spend them right after the Black Bridge fight.

You can abuse the crap out of the in-game saves.  There are 7 slots.  I beat the Nightmare difficulty final boss by simply saving every 5 seconds onto a new slot.  The moment I would get hit, I would just re-load previous save.  Tedious but makes the game extremely easy.

Thanks!

I've already unlocked a fair amount of weapons - but can't I just load up custom mode to avoid this problem?

2 hours ago, TemplePilot said:

Thanks!

I've already unlocked a fair amount of weapons - but can't I just load up custom mode to avoid this problem?

Sort of.

It's been a while since I've played, but I believe custom mode locks the ability to pop trophies if you blacklist too many weapons. I think you need at least 20 weapons open to drop to keep trophies active. At least I'm pretty sure that was the requirement when I last looked.

So yeah, if you've gone on a weapon unlocking spree you can decently mitigate the effects of that, but not to the point of forcing the game to drop exactly what you want and nothing else.

Edited by Kitsuna101
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2020 at 10:51 AM, Eternal21 said:

My #1 tip is to not unlock new weapons.  Just unlock the persistent improvements, and if you need a certain number of unlocks, keep unlocking outfits instead.  This way when you're ready to handle harder difficulties, you'll be able to unlock only the weapons you want and come across them much more often.  I ended up beating everything with the Electric Whip. I don't even think you need to unlock it.  It's the best weapon as it auto-targets enemies, so you don't need to worry about fliers.  It also works with both melee and tactic upgrades.  I just went full tactics, which also is great for most bows.

You can abuse the crap out of the in-game saves.  There are 7 slots.  I beat the Nightmare difficulty final boss by simply saving every 5 seconds onto a new slot.  The moment I would get hit, I would just re-load previous save.  Tedious but makes the game extremely easy.

Pretty much everything here. I deleted the part about grinding cells for the forge, because it’s completely unnecessary (I have 60% drop for ++ weapons, which has been more than enough through three runs).

The main thing is using your in-game saves. Make sure you keep one to revert to, just in case you save at a bad point in the final boss fight. But other that, you will be gold if you follow these tips.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 7:51 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Pretty much everything here. I deleted the part about grinding cells for the forge, because it’s completely unnecessary (I have 60% drop for ++ weapons, which has been more than enough through three runs).

The main thing is using your in-game saves. Make sure you keep one to revert to, just in case you save at a bad point in the final boss fight. But other that, you will be gold if you follow these tips.

Thanks!  Mind elaborating on the saving?  I tried and I make progress on the boss, save and quit out and reload to keep going.  But if I get hit - once I quit out doesn't it just overwrite the save?  I keep losing progress.  Have to be overlooking something.

3 hours ago, TemplePilot said:

Thanks!  Mind elaborating on the saving?  I tried and I make progress on the boss, save and quit out and reload to keep going.  But if I get hit - once I quit out doesn't it just overwrite the save?  I keep losing progress.  Have to be overlooking something.

This confused me, too.

If you look at the main menu, you’ll see a save tab, telling you which save is active. Open it, and you’d actually have multiple save slots. Further, you can copy one save to the other slots.

Thus, for your boss, you can save and quit. The copy your savage over to other slots. Now, go back to the boss. If you die/get hit/whatever, quit again. You’ll lose the progress on your active save, but you can copy your old save from the other files you made before,  and you’re back where you started.

You can also change your active save, but I never did that.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

This confused me, too.

If you look at the main menu, you’ll see a save tab, telling you which save is active. Open it, and you’d actually have multiple save slots. Further, you can copy one save to the other slots.

Thus, for your boss, you can save and quit. The copy your savage over to other slots. Now, go back to the boss. If you die/get hit/whatever, quit again. You’ll lose the progress on your active save, but you can copy your old save from the other files you made before,  and you’re back where you started.

You can also change your active save, but I never did that.

Thanks for all your help!  

Here's hoping it isn't another 2 years til I get this plat lol.  First trophy has a 2018 time stamp on it.

4 minutes ago, TemplePilot said:

Thanks for all your help!  

Here's hoping it isn't another 2 years til I get this plat lol.  First trophy has a 2018 time stamp on it.

You've got this.

Just remember to always keep one save from prior to starting a boss fight. That way, if you happen to save at a bad point in the battle (e.g. you think you haven't been hit, but you have, or you haven't been hit, but will definitely be hit when you re-load), you're still good to go.

Also, the game crashes a lot at in-battle saves, because of all the shit on the screen. Be prepared for that.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 10:25 AM, starcrunch061 said:

You've got this.

Just remember to always keep one save from prior to starting a boss fight. That way, if you happen to save at a bad point in the battle (e.g. you think you haven't been hit, but you have, or you haven't been hit, but will definitely be hit when you re-load), you're still good to go.

Also, the game crashes a lot at in-battle saves, because of all the shit on the screen. Be prepared for that.

I've noticed the crashing.  Also I could have sworn something felt a little "off."  Like the game was stuttering.  Apparently I wasn't going crazy and the last update kinda screwed it up a bit.  They said it would be taken care of in update 20, end of next month.  Bummed because I was really into it again!

11 hours ago, TemplePilot said:

I've noticed the crashing.  Also I could have sworn something felt a little "off."  Like the game was stuttering.  Apparently I wasn't going crazy and the last update kinda screwed it up a bit.  They said it would be taken care of in update 20, end of next month.  Bummed because I was really into it again!

You can still overcome it. I know, because I was no great gaming genius on my 4 BSC run. ?

But if they're going to fix it, and you've waited this long, might as well wait longer. Hopefully, they don't do anything crappy like, say, changing the save system.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The plat right now is VERY doable once you have the knowledge needed. I never played the game before this patch so I can't speak to prior experiences but I think right now is the best time to get into and plat the game. If an idiot like me can get away doing some of these builds then so can the average trophy hunter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...