Xbox Series X

fbdbh

1 hour ago, iriihutoR84 said:

I definitely understand why people who didn't main Xbox last gen are absolutely loving it though and I was there myself a few years ago.

That's also a reason why you aren't overwhelmed by greatness on PS+ Extra, you are used to the PS ecosystem and have played its best games. 

That’s a very good point. Indeed, Extra is much better than I anticipated, but yeah I had already bought & played most of the best games on my PS4, so there’s just a few that were added that hold any value for me (I loved Stray!). I still think Game Pass is much better though.

I can imagine wanting to play a game that is leaving soon and you haven’t gotten around to it, it sucks to be ‘forced’ to play it immediately then instead of something from your backlog. But why would you play games on GP you don’t even like though? MS Points?

Edited by Sifferino

7 minutes ago, Sifferino said:

I can imagine wanting to play a game that is leaving soon and you haven’t gotten around to it, it sucks to be ‘forced’ to play it immediately then instead of something from your backlog. But why would you play games on GP you don’t even like though? MS Points?

Do you know what you will like in advance? I like PS2-era stylish action games so I gave Gungrave GORE a chance. It got repetitive pretty fast. I like many narrative adventure games so I gave As Dusk Falls a chance since it had a strong reception. It was all right but skippable in the grand scheme of things. I loved Trover so I gave High on Life from the same studio a spin. The recycled humor wore thin fast and the game itself wasn't very good. 

It's not that I seek out bad games, it's that I'm willing to try out games I think "I should like this" about if they are free. If I buy games myself then I'm more selective. Sure, it's my fault but if you have something free that you think you will probably like then it's tempting to try it out considering it won't be free forever. For me, at this point, Game Pass is reducing the average quality of the games I play. Kind of my fault but still.

And 6 or 7/10 isn't bad. It's just that I own better games.

5 hours ago, iriihutoR84 said:

Do you know what you will like in advance? I like PS2-era stylish action games so I gave Gungrave GORE a chance. It got repetitive pretty fast. I like many narrative adventure games so I gave As Dusk Falls a chance since it had a strong reception. It was all right but skippable in the grand scheme of things. I loved Trover so I gave High on Life from the same studio a spin. The recycled humor wore thin fast and the game itself wasn't very good. 

It's not that I seek out bad games, it's that I'm willing to try out games I think "I should like this" about if they are free. If I buy games myself then I'm more selective. Sure, it's my fault but if you have something free that you think you will probably like then it's tempting to try it out considering it won't be free forever. For me, at this point, Game Pass is reducing the average quality of the games I play. Kind of my fault but still.

Do you care about completion on Xbox? Out of curiosity. Coming from PS I thought I might "get 100%" in games that I really like but I ended up just not caring about it at all. Dropped Gungrave GORE pretty quickly, because it felt like a walking simulator of action games - walk forward and press a button to shoot. Loved Signalis, tried it on inpulse and it was amazing. I wanted to like Scorn for the atmosphere and visual design but it's just not a game for me. So I too play mediocre (or mediocre to me) games but not feeling compelled to finish them makes all the difference. 

i may play MH Rise, and P3 and P4 on series x since they all run better and arent overpriced to shit (ie: they're on gamepass).

Downside, Atomic heart ill play on PS5 and Wo Long but both also are free on Gamepass 

Gamepass still kicking Sonys ass tbh

add my XBL if yall want.

xInfectedElite 

Edited by Infected Elite

On 23/03/2021 at 7:41 PM, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

I'm probably going to have the XSX be my main console this coming gen, I don't see myself buying quite a many games anyway. First time I'll ever have Xbox as my primary, never had an original Xbox, got a 360 super late and have barely touched my launch XB1 after the first 3-4 years of owning it. It's mostly just because I feel kinda done with Sony at this point, I'll still get a PS5 eventually for exclusives but there's so many things about the PS5 I don't like: The UI, how you access your saves, the very limited storage capacity and you can't even upgrade it atm, the Dualsense, backwards compatible games having issues that people had to discover for themselves, the lack of front USB ports, and the design (yes, I do actually prefer how the XSX looks, minor thing, but still). I'll likely wait for a revision on the PS5, hopefully one that comes with a 1.5 or 2TB SSD, the current capacity is far too low for games nowadays, and at least the Xbox has had expansion drives since launch.

large.jpg

Dear God, did I actually post that? Fuck me, lol. I'd like to know what on Earth I was drinking back in 2021.

Fast forward to now and... The XSX is most certainly not my main console, and I'm still buying shit tons of games. I will still concede that there's plenty of things I still don't like about the PS5's UI, or other weird choices they made with it (e.g. I can check my trophy level on my PS3, PS4 and Vita but not my PS5...? Why Sony?), but I've bought something like 30-40 physical games for PS5 already, whereas for my Xbox I've bought... None. Like, literally none, I don't even have a single game that's XSX exclusive. Microsoft in general doesn't seem too supportive of physical games which is definitely a big no no for my physical media loving reptilian brain. Which also means Gamepass is a big no no, all the more in my case because with the snail speed I take to get around to games, I definitely don't want to feel rushed by games going away at some point on a subscription service.

Right now, I'm currently (slowly) playing Blue Dragon on my Series X, a game I bought back in like 2007. And the majority of my backlog for it is what I had on the Xbox One as well, that is to say, mostly original Xbox and 360 games I kept putting off because reasons, then they added backwards compatibility for those games and that made me put them off all the more. Buying the Series X just felt like I upgraded my Xbone, rather than it being a brand new console like the PS5 - it even imported all my settings including my home screen background. Which on one hand, I like, I don't have to get used to a new UI or anything, but on the other hand... It's getting just as much use as my Xbone was in the later years of its life, which is to say, I play maybe 5-6 games on it per year on average, sometimes less than 3. A big reason for that is honestly because it legitimately doesn't have any games - this is the first time I can say in my history with gaming that a console legit "has no games". I do hope it DOES get some exclusives eventually, which I'm sure it will, but I don't regret my purchase either way, I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought it so it's hard to be disappointed or anything.

Edited by Raidou Kuzunoha XIV
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, iriihutoR84 said:

Sure, yeah. Sometimes I feel it is also personal circumstances. Sometimes I'm just not in an appreciative mood or whatever. I did like As Dusk Falls and High on Life, incidentally. Oh well, 2023 looks good for GP, so maybe you'll find a few new ones you will love.

9 hours ago, the1andonly654 said:

Do you care about completion on Xbox? Out of curiosity. Coming from PS I thought I might "get 100%" in games that I really like but I ended up just not caring about it at all. Dropped Gungrave GORE pretty quickly, because it felt like a walking simulator of action games - walk forward and press a button to shoot. Loved Signalis, tried it on inpulse and it was amazing. I wanted to like Scorn for the atmosphere and visual design but it's just not a game for me. So I too play mediocre (or mediocre to me) games but not feeling compelled to finish them makes all the difference. 

It's funny, I actually prefer Achievements now. Don't get me wrong, the actual system is worse. But for some reason, on PlayStation I think "I really need to get the platinum", while on Xbox I think "oh, 60-70% of the base game, that'll do". It's healthier for me.

6 hours ago, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

Fast forward to now and... The XSX is most certainly not my main console, and I'm still buying shit tons of games. I will still concede that there's plenty of things I still don't like about the PS5's UI, or other weird choices they made with it (e.g. I can check my trophy level on my PS3, PS4 and Vita but not my PS5...? Why Sony?), but I've bought something like 30-40 physical games for PS5 already, whereas for my Xbox I've bought... None. Like, literally none, I don't even have a single game that's XSX exclusive. Microsoft in general doesn't seem too supportive of physical games which is definitely a big no no for my physical media loving reptilian brain. Which also means Gamepass is a big no no, all the more in my case because with the snail speed I take to get around to games, I definitely don't want to feel rushed by games going away at some point on a subscription service.

Right now, I'm currently (slowly) playing Blue Dragon on my Series X, a game I bought back in like 2007. And the majority of my backlog for it is what I had on the Xbox One as well, that is to say, mostly original Xbox and 360 games I kept putting off because reasons, then they added backwards compatibility for those games and that made me put them off all the more. Buying the Series X just felt like I upgraded my Xbone, rather than it being a brand new console like the PS5 - it even imported all my settings including my home screen background. Which on one hand, I like, I don't have to get used to a new UI or anything, but on the other hand... It's getting just as much use as my Xbone was in the later years of its life, which is to say, I play maybe 5-6 games on it per year on average, sometimes less than 3. A big reason for that is honestly because it legitimately doesn't have any games - this is the first time I can say in my history with gaming that a console legit "has no games". I do hope it DOES get some exclusives eventually, which I'm sure it will, but I don't regret my purchase either way, I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought it so it's hard to be disappointed or anything.

Oh well. I love not having to choose. Sure, my XSX is my main console, but it is such a luxury that I don't have to say "Ratchet & Clank? That's too bad, I'll never be able to play it". I've learnt my lesson, just like the Xbox 360/PS3 generation, I'll buy both consoles from now on every generation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sifferino said:

Oh well. I love not having to choose. Sure, my XSX is my main console, but it is such a luxury that I don't have to say "Ratchet & Clank? That's too bad, I'll never be able to play it". I've learnt my lesson, just like the Xbox 360/PS3 generation, I'll buy both consoles from now on every generation.

I usually buy all consoles every generation as well, for the exclusives. So far the XSX has had none for me aside from what the Xbox One and older already had, but I know it will eventually with the Elder Scrolls, Starfield, Outer Worlds 2, and some others.

Watched the recent Developer Direct.

Xbox either doesn't really get the "direct" format or rejects it and does something different on purpose. 40 minutes on 5 games is a much slower pace than what Sony and Nintendo have been doing, and spending time showing developers is kinda meaningless. I won't remember any names from that Minecraft team, for example, and that segment itself was a bit chaotic because of the constant switching between studio footage and gameplay. Thankfully, other games were shown better, and you can skip to the next segment easily on Youtube. So, I think overall it was a success.

Hi Fi Rush. Finally, Xbox has a video game. Looks more fun than anything Sony first party has put out in the last 5 years. Did not expect a shadow drop.

Forza looks amazing, but they're selling it so hard as if it's a new iPhone: "It has better physics than last 3 games combined" or something. What's missing is a release date or a release window. I think everyone expected it after it was promised for the first half of 2023.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1

Hi Fi Rush kinda bugs me but I know it's just the cynical asshole in me that has a hard time enjoying nice things anymore lol.  I'm not really a big fan of DMC-esque combo mashing games, and the overwhelming positivity around it on sites like Steam seem less like it's really an amazing game and more to spite "the standard" (ie. games like Last of Us, God of War, etc) because it's different and above average/actually doesn't suck.  Kind of like the review bombings The Last of Us Part II got on release, except going the other way.  Loving or hating something to make a point moreso than really, honestly assessing a game.

That being said, it's free on Game Pass and I'm tempted to give it a try.  It does seem... fun. xD

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

overwhelming positivity around it on sites like Steam seem less like it's really an amazing game and more to spite "the standard"

Yeah, the scores will inevitably go down once people actually play and finish it. It's only been two days. The shadow drop surprise factor is going to wear off too.

Edited by Slava

I think that their showcase showed that they are starting to move in the right direction in terms of first party output. The newly acquired studios have been making more exclusives for Sony than Microsoft before now but that's changing. The first half of the year is also loaded with what IMO looks like legit top tier games and not just "I'll play it because it's free" on Game Pass.

- Hi-Fi Rush is really good

- Atomic Heart looks incredibly promising

- Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is from a proven developer behind some excellent action games and looks great

- Ghostwire Tokyo should drop on Game Pass in late March since one year will have passed since its PS5 release

- Forza 8 is looking like a proper next gen racing game although GT7 VR will be a true next-gen experience tbh

- Arkane always delivers so Redfall should be solid

- Minecraft Legends which isn't for me personally but a seemingly well made game in a massive franchise

Add to that the normal slew of new and old, indie and AAA and I can see myself using my Xbox a lot during the first half of the year while having a great time doing so.

• Like 1

Curious about Atomic Hearts, waiting for Forza Motorsport because I wanna race for a bit now and then but Horizon is just so tiring with its vibe and overall aesthetics. 

Very happy with Hi Fi Rush - downloaded it after reading how good it is and while it has its flaws (platforming is kinda bad imo), it's good so far. I'm literally tapping my foot to the beat as I play and try to be on point with the timing not because I wanna get a better score but because it's just more fun than mashing. 

Redfall seems like kind of a love it or hate it game for me, as all Arkane games have been for me so far. 

Looks like a pretty good year to me. Just hoping they're not gonna fuck up Starfield - if it ends up being Skyrim in space I'll still probably like it but I will be disappointed. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 8:35 AM, Dreakon13 said:

Hi Fi Rush kinda bugs me but I know it's just the cynical asshole in me that has a hard time enjoying nice things anymore lol.  I'm not really a big fan of DMC-esque combo mashing games, and the overwhelming positivity around it on sites like Steam seem less like it's really an amazing game and more to spite "the standard"

As a big fan of DMC-esque combo mashing games the combat in HiFi Rush is quite good. It's not just hype, there is pedigree with the game. I mean obviously Shinji Mikami is the executive producer on it which is cool but the lead game designer on the game is a dude who was heavily involved with DMC1, Viewtiful Joe 2, Bayonetta, and Vanquish among many other high profile games like RE2 and Okami. It really shows as well, I play a lot of low/mid-budget action games as I love them (can just look through my trophy profile lol) and the combat in HiFi is so much better than any of those despite probably having a similar budget. There is a lot to chew on in the game and despite being at the end I feel like I have barely scratched the surface with the combat.

That said I agree with the idea the score and hype will probably come down over time as more people beat the game. I love it, but entirely because the combat. I kinda honestly hate every aspect of the game other than that and the music I guess. The platforming especially is pretty dang bad imo which might sound like a weird complaint for an action game but you honestly do as much, if not more, platforming than you do actually fighting bad guys. Most the levels are also needlessly long for some reason when compared to most other action games. So I don't think it's perfect or anything, but it's the most interesting and unique action game I've played in quite a while and that is exciting.

• Like 3

So I'm trying to pawn off some 1-month Xbox Game Pass Ultimate voucher keys I accidentally bought thinking they'd stack on my sub.  The catch, of course, is that it's only for new/inactive Game Pass subscriptions.  If anyone that isn't currently subbed to Game Pass would be interested in a free month, let me know.  Ultimate includes PC Game Pass I believe.

Edited by Dreakon13

So this is a weird one. Xbox sent out a message earlier today that mentioned a bunch of 360 games are being delisted from specifically the Xbox 360 marketplace on Feb 7th. The catch is though that while most of these games are backwards compatible and can be bought on the new marketplace MS uses (the one you see on your actual Xbox One/Series console) some of these games are not available to buy there and can only be bought on the 360 marketplace. Someone on reddit made a list of the effected games.

I think all of the games either have physical versions or can be bought on PSN/Steam so nothing here is completely vanishing (emphasis on I think) but it's worth mentioning for people that want them on their Xbox. MS hasn't said anything about these games actually becoming purchasable on the new storefront yet so seems like they might just be toast come next week?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ZenaxPure said:

So this is a weird one. Xbox sent out a message earlier today that mentioned a bunch of 360 games are being delisted from specifically the Xbox 360 marketplace on Feb 7th. The catch is though that while most of these games are backwards compatible and can be bought on the new marketplace MS uses (the one you see on your actual Xbox One/Series console) some of these games are not available to buy there and can only be bought on the 360 marketplace. Someone on reddit made a list of the effected games.

I think all of the games either have physical versions or can be bought on PSN/Steam so nothing here is completely vanishing (emphasis on I think) but it's worth mentioning for people that want them on their Xbox. MS hasn't said anything about these games actually becoming purchasable on the new storefront yet so seems like they might just be toast come next week?

The BC is the highlight for me though I still own a huge 360 library so I should be ok.

I say allot of mean shit when I shouldn't but the XBSX can be a good option for games that are hard to find for the ps4/5. I do have allot of rpg's/jrpgs on the xbsx that either cost allot less or where the only hard copies I could find, I don't know what MS's demographics play but I'm guessing not rpg's. It really is a capable machine and I do prefer to play online competitive gaming over the Playstation network.

• 4 months later...

The latest showcase was similar to PlayStation's in a few aspects. Some big 1st party titles lacked gameplay. Decent lineup otherwise. And considering how low the bar for Xbox is as of late, they deserve some praise. But not too much ?.

Fable - visually impressive, but the jokes fell flat for me, also no real gameplay other than a few animations.

South of Midnight - cool visuals that almost look like stop-motion, strong southern vibes, but no gameplay.

Atlus announcements - unfortunately, both Persona trailers leaked. Persona 3 Remake could've been one of my favourite parts if not for that. I played it this year, and it's one of my top-20 games now. But you can say that Atlus held an ace in the sleeve and showed their long awaited project, now called Metaphor: ReFantazio. The trailer is a little hard to follow, the frames left the chat a couple of times, but the game looks awesome. Definitely reminds of Persona in some aspects, especially the sick menus. The logo is great too. 

Avowed - looked a bit... mid. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Hellblade 2 - nice cutscene, where is core gameplay? I'm starting to think this game is an interactive movie. Also, I had thought there was a possibility of it coming this holiday. Evidently, it's not ready yet.

Like a Dragon 8 - so glad to see some developers allow themseves to just have fun and make a trailer about a Yakuza member waking up on an American beach butt-naked. Great stuff, great ass, Ichiban.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - freaking cool. Graphically, one of the most impressive games out there. Not sure what looks cooler: he environments, or the planes and helicopters. It's also full of interesting missions to do.

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess - you know, I have expressed the opinion that a lot of sword-fighting action-adventure games in Japanese/asian settings blend together nowadays. Not this one. The style and deisgns stood out and carried the trailer for me. Some details even reminded me of Okami.

Jusant - cool. A climbing game with platforming elements in an interesting looking world. Death Standing and Breath of the Wild came to mind as closest points of comparison in terms of mechanics.

Clockwork Revolution - not to downplay the amount of work that must've been put into this project by Inxile, but I lost interest as soon as they mentioned time travel. 

___

There were more interesting looking games, I just have nothing to say about them.

Favourite trailers from the list: Metaphor, Like a Dragon 8, and MS Flight Sim 24.

Edited by Slava

On 12/06/2023 at 11:29 AM, Slava said:

The latest showcase was similar to PlayStation's in a few aspects. Some big 1st party titles lacked gameplay. Decent lineup otherwise. And considering how low the bar for Xbox is as of late, they deserve some praise. But not too much 1f601.png.

I don’t understand your take on this. Similar? PlayStation’s was completely meh, I don’t think it got many people excited. The Xbox’s showcase however… very, very exciting. And that’s not just my opinion. I’m not sure it’s visible in cold, hard facts in terms of sales figures yet, but the consensus seems to be that Xbox sales will pick up quite a bit with Starfield looming. 

I am optimistic that the demise of Xbox is finally turning around. I am very excited myself. I saw a number of promising titles announced, Starfield *and* the indies. All on Game Pass. Even some third party stuff got me excited, i.e. Star Wars: Outlaws. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sifferino said:

I don’t understand your take on this. Similar? PlayStation’s was completely meh, I don’t think it got many people excited. The Xbox’s showcase however… very, very exciting. And that’s not just my opinion. I’m not sure it’s visible in cold, hard facts in terms of sales figures yet, but the consensus seems to be that Xbox sales will pick up quite a bit with Starfield looming. 

I am optimistic that the demise of Xbox is finally turning around. I am very excited myself. I saw a number of promising titles announced, Starfield *and* the indies. All on Game Pass. Even some third party stuff got me excited, i.e. Star Wars: Outlaws. 

I think I explained it well. By "few aspects" I mean lack of first party gameplay footage, and decent line ups for third party.

PlayStation: Fairgames, Concord, Marathon - no gameplay.

Xbox: Fable, South of Midnight, Hellblade 2 - no gameplay (except for a few seconds of in-engine animations for Fable). 

Both had one big game at the end.

That's where the similarities end. I understand that Microsoft wins as it had more to show: + Avowed and Flight Simulator. Overall, Microsoft was better. 

Edited by Slava

Xbox showed what their fans wanted. Game Pass is a massive focus for them and 21/27 games shown are coming to Game Pass, including popular third party games like Persona and a new IP from Capcom. The show was a smash hit for Game Pass users.

They also showed a wealth of 13 first party games, gameplay being present in most of them. Something their fans have been screaming for and they delivered that. 

Then there was Starfield which outside hardcore PlayStation communities was more or less unanimously viewed as the game of the show during E3/Summer Games Fest/whatever.

Sony's showcase didn't even bring a release date for the one first party games their fans actually want: Spider-Man 2. The rest of the show was not-even-gameplay from live service games no one asked for and third party games which aren't even specific to the platform or their Game Pass rival, PS+. Xbox Gamers practically had as much reason to watch their showcase as PS gamers did. It was a pointless waste of time.