A calmer view on 2.60 update and trophy 'hiding'

Memnoch

Ok, so after the general uproar, the nervousness and sweat inducing fear that ensued, here are general thoughts on how this could actually be a good thing.

I try out many games, but I have a vita, so I cannot create a secondary account to test, so hiding trophies indefinitely (ie if I didn't like the game) can pretty much only be a good thing. Should I have to endure going through a stupidly boring game because I want perfect completion on what I 'show' to others ? The answer to that should be no.

Implementing this to PS3 will only help me try out new things, so again not a bad thing.

These are things that in a perfect world should've been implemented from the start by Sony, not now.

The last thing that would be good is to delete completely any game I wish from my trophy list, many games are either now unplattable or even worse so bad that you need a group of people with multple playstations to actually finish the games off...

This isn't a thread for 'OMG people will have better completion rates then they deserve', there are already other threads for that and they are already being used perfectly.

However please don't hesitate to give your opinions and views on how this can be a good implementation and how you'd use it :)

I agree with everything your saying, Trophies are just online accomplishments to make yourself feel good or w/e. Games that I rented and abrely played or a friend brought over 1 time would be the 1st thing I delete/hide and probably the only thing. What others do with it be it hiding there cheated platinums or trophies make no difference to me. I don't even understand the point of those hacks are so... :rolleyes:

I couldn't care much about this feature or even about completion percentage. I just care about having fun. Each person has their preferences and this is mine. You could go through my profile and see so many games with 0%, rather leave them there since I will get to them eventually. It's a nice feature but it's one I won't use. Having 0% on games won't kill me, it just reminds me what I have left to complete.  :)

Edited by GetMitched
  • Like 3

I actually like this feature because all my games except FIFA 13 are from PS Plus. I dont want the games which i dont actually own on my trophy list. In case i unsubscribe to PS Plus in the future i can hide the plus games so im pretty happy Sony included this feature. But in my opinion Sony should have done what Sly has done and that is reduce the overall completion (PSN trophy level) if you hide a game.

I agree, I have a 90% completion average which I worked my ass off to get. I now have a 93.7% completion rate after hiding games that I will never fully complete, and the only reason they are on my list to begin with is because they are all games that I and others played on my account before I started trophy hunting. I would never let a game I know I'm not going to complete, or work at on my account nowadays because I actively am trying to earn trophies so it's nice to be able to hide old mistakes. Would I rather they where just deleted instead? Definitely, but until (if ever) Sony implement that, I can be content with my profile knowing it's a more true representation of my trophy hunting escapades. People don't seem to realise that this is a "Privacy" setting not a "hide trophies you don't like" setting. I think if we will ever be able to delete trophies it will be with the PS4 as it seems to be going the social route that the Vita kicked off.

Also, all I have ever seen on trophy websites is people complaining about not being able to delete or get rid of trophies, and now that we sort of can I see nothing but people complaining that they should never have done this! I can kind of understand the people that are in completionist leaderboards being nervous that it will skew their results, but in all honesty that is entirely selfish. Why should people be punished or looked down upon for hiding old games they played before they knew about trophy hunting, games they didn't like, people playing on their account or any other variety of reasons? Although I don't see the point in cheating trophies, if a cheater did mess around with one game, why should they be tainted forever if they are willing to get rid of it? 

Nice to see some other positive people talking about this, some of the crying I have seen over this is embarrassing. Anyway, I think Sly handled this amazingly, updated super quick and helped out people that run leaderboards. It's why I love this site! :D

Wow, truer words have never been spoken, great post man :yay:

yeah, this is a really good thing for me, I hid most of the games that have a low % or games that I havnt platted yet. there are games still on my list that I haven't platted, but I will be getting back to those at some point. But id rather have a option to delete my unwanted trophies though.

Edited by EternalChaos72

I don't get it, some people are saying that if Sony put it that when you hide the trophies, it should change the level on PSN, I get that part about it, but then they are saying they are mad at people that do this on psnprofiles.  Why?  They hide the trophies, and Sly put it so that it changes their level, problem solved.

Edited by drummerklg

It  hides them rather than deleting them so there still there "server side" I have also noticed it doesnt work on all trophy card sites and you cant select any and every game. Most if not all VITA trophies can be hidden but not all PS3 games. For example I can hide Big Sky Infinity for the PS3 & PSV but I cant hide DC Universe from my list. Its hit and miss or pot luck as to what games it works with.

Does it also remove them from this website?

Also does it only allow you to remove them if they are at 0%?

It's an interesting feature. Not sure if I need to use it on any of my games but good none the less.

It  hides them rather than deleting them so there still there "server side" I have also noticed it doesnt work on all trophy card sites and you cant select any and every game. Most if not all VITA trophies can be hidden but not all PS3 games. For example I can hide Big Sky Infinity for the PS3 & PSV but I cant hide DC Universe from my list. Its hit and miss or pot luck as to what games it works with.

You have to click on the game or the DLC to hide trophies with games that have DLC.

• Like 1

There aren't any real positives to this feature. If you base trying out/playing a game on whether or not it will be displayed on your profile, most people will tell you your priorities are strange. You certainly don't gain anything from it. There was nothing stopping you from trying any particular game other than yourself. If anyone wanted a perfect record so badly, they could research each game and ensure they only play the easiest of games. Or as it stands now, you can take a much more lazy approach to it and just hide any game that proves too difficult for you.

• Like 4

There aren't any real positives to this feature. If you base trying out/playing a game on whether or not it will be displayed on your profile, most people will tell you your priorities are strange. You certainly don't gain anything from it. There was nothing stopping you from trying any particular game other than yourself. If anyone wanted a perfect record so badly, they could research each game and ensure they only play the easiest of games. Or as it stands now, you can take a much more lazy approach to it and just hide any game that proves too difficult for you.

At least we can see the blue icon next to each profile and know who the real completionists are.

Edited by Aexuz
  • Like 2

Should I have to endure going through a stupidly boring game because I want perfect completion on what I 'show' to others ?

Thing is, this is largely why high completion ratio is desired/respected/revered - whatever word you wanna chose. Because it's hard and takes a lot of time and determination. That's how you get perfect completion. What you are showing is a false representation of that. I'm not "mad" about you doing it. Do you.  I'm just here to let you know, you aren't fooling me with that 100% on your trophy card :P

*edit*

Imagine if everyone did that. May as well throw rarity stats out the window since every single trophy is 100% now.

What if your friends wanted to ask you about some game you played, if you liked it or if you wanna boost together or whatever. Now they can't see that you had that game.

Edited by lporiginalg
  • Like 3

There is a reason its at that lvl only a few know why.

We had a very interesting discussion with eburk in reards to this during the day, and to cut a long story very short, dont see why this is any worse than choosing games for educated reasons on why 100% is feasable. There are also a lot of games where 100% is more how much you can afford rather than how a game is played.

The whole friend thing/boosting isnt for me, but I can see where ither people get a use out of the feature.

Anywho, as I said from the start, this is to discuss the postives, not the negatives, about the addition as there are enough threads for that already. Although as you pointed out views in such a polite manner lp, I couldn't sit here and not respond.

In my opinion this update was one of the better things to happen.

People that hacked their trophies or had their stuff accidentally platted by a friend (probably the only to have to have this happen to, lol), get a second chance.

People that bothered with games they might have resold later and never got to complete or just didn't care about those games can now hide them.

People that are ashamed with some of the trophies they've platted or just in general games they've played can hide that too, with the option to toggle them on anytime they want.

It's a use or don't use feature, intended equally for everyone to, again, use or not use.

It's perfect.

Well the one positive in my humble opinion is for people that want to hide their 0% games. Since the site never counted that towards completion ratio anyway, and it never bothered me that the site works this way I think that's nice for people who just want to hide the big ugly 'F' off of their profiles. Even better that hiding a 0% game won't show the 'flag' that you've hidden anything, as I consider this the one legitimate use I think it's good people can do that and not have the mark on their profile.

If I had chosen each game and only this games, only synching when I had 100%, would you consider that as bad? I removed several paltinumed games as they arent at 100%.

My psn level here only reflects the trophies I'm showing, so I really dont see what the difference would be. If I could have deleted most of the games, I would have done to :)

I agree, I have a 90% completion average which I worked my ass off to get. I now have a 93.7% completion rate after hiding games that I will never fully complete, and the only reason they are on my list to begin with is because they are all games that I and others played on my account before I started trophy hunting. I would never let a game I know I'm not going to complete, or work at on my account nowadays because I actively am trying to earn trophies so it's nice to be able to hide old mistakes. Would I rather they where just deleted instead? Definitely, but until (if ever) Sony implement that, I can be content with my profile knowing it's a more true representation of my trophy hunting escapades. People don't seem to realise that this is a "Privacy" setting not a "hide trophies you don't like" setting. I think if we will ever be able to delete trophies it will be with the PS4 as it seems to be going the social route that the Vita kicked off.

Also, all I have ever seen on trophy websites is people complaining about not being able to delete or get rid of trophies, and now that we sort of can I see nothing but people complaining that they should never have done this! I can kind of understand the people that are in completionist leaderboards being nervous that it will skew their results, but in all honesty that is entirely selfish. Why should people be punished or looked down upon for hiding old games they played before they knew about trophy hunting, games they didn't like, people playing on their account or any other variety of reasons? Although I don't see the point in cheating trophies, if a cheater did mess around with one game, why should they be tainted forever if they are willing to get rid of it? 

Nice to see some other positive people talking about this, some of the crying I have seen over this is embarrassing. Anyway, I think Sly handled this amazingly, updated super quick and helped out people that run leaderboards. It's why I love this site! :D

Wow, great post!! Words of wisdom =D