Horizon Zero Dawn Confirmed for PC release this summer.

snakebit10

Of all exclusives, why it has to be this one. This is terrible news. So much for being one of my "top favorite PlayStation exclusives". Now it's one of many of my favorite multi-plat games up there with Far Cry and Dishonored. I accepted Heavy Rain, another former legendary PS exclusive, going to PC but Horizon Zero Dawn of all PS exclusives sucks extremely hard. This is only going to stroke PC master race supporters' egos even more, too.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 2

If anything this just shows that the console (platform?) wars are still alive and well in some peoples hearts.  In all of their sad, somewhat desperate, glory.

6 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Of all exclusives, why it has to be this one. This is terrible news. So much for being one of my "top favorite PlayStation exclusives". Now it's one of many of my favorite multi-plat games up there with Far Cry and Dishonored. I accepted Heavy Rain, another former legendary PS exclusive, going to PC but Horizon Zero Dawn of all PS exclusives sucks extremely hard. This is only going to stroke PC master race supporters' egos even more, too.

How about it's just an awesome game that you were fortunate enough to play and enjoy?  And other people will get to now too?

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

One, "decent PC's" likely won't play proper PS5 releases/ports well.  I'm kinda doubting "decent PCs" are even playing proper PS4 releases/ports now.  At least, in any way that actually warrants it over the console itself.  If you bought or built a legit gaming PC that'll last you two console generations AND a PS4, by all means pick one and go with it, you silly goose.

Two, Microsoft has incentive to bring its catalog to PC because its one less Xbox bought but one more Windows PC used.  Connecting their two ecosystems makes sense.  Sony has no such incentive.  Whatever waters they're testing here will likely not change much down the road, and if it does it's because the response to it was positive (either sales, or good PR, or both).  If you want to wait 3, 5, 7, 10 years after a PS5 games release to see if any of them eventually come to PC so you can see if it runs on your "decent PC"... and you think that's to your advantage... well, bless your sweet little heart.

Three, you're kinda committed to the sky is falling approach here so I'm not going to waste my time explaining why giving more people the chance to play great games could lead to good PR.  The only nightmare right now is in your head.

What is this nonsense? My decent PC is maintained, updated, and upgraded enough to still run new MMOs. Having a PC for me has always been a thing since the SNES days. This is way I don't label myself as a "Console gamer". I am just a gamer and consumer. 

I don't buy consoles over other consoles or over PC. I bought every system I wanted and passed on systems I didn't want based on each system's merits. 
This gen PC+PS4+WiiU(and latter Switch) gave me access to just about every game I wanted. Next gen PC+Switch will be enough but I will need to wait for the Sony ports. Easy.

You can doubt whatever you feel like. I am merely speaking for myself and slightly for friends that I know in a similar boat. 
If I were you, I wouldn't treat me or my PC or my gaming history as a "one off" or abnormal case. Again, this happened to Xbox and many others repeat the same opinion that a decent PC makes owning an Xbox superfluous. Great, we can still buy MS software on PC but we aren't spending money on the console or buying games from the Xbox store. 

As far as Windows and PC goes, Microsoft doesn't get money from PC hardware sales and windows is a $20 OEM code away from Reddit. Microsoft doesn't get any money from any game made or sold on PC that isn't sold on the Windows store.(which PC gamers don't use)  Not much of an offset for losing out on a console sale and all the potential revenue from games sales on the Xbox store.

15 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

How about it's just an awesome game that you were fortunate enough to enjoy?  And other people will get to now too?

No. Because by that logic no game should be exclusive, which is thus less incentive to prioritize getting certain gaming platforms over the other. Not to mention PS is heavily defined by and supported because of their exclusives. Take that away and it loses some of its identity, and I shouldn't have to mention the harm to the playerbase that will ensure, since PS isn't known for its superior hardware over the other platforms that aren't Nintendo Switch. PlayStation needs its exclusives, and they're part of what makes it such an amazing console series to own. (Plenty of wonderful third parties series out there for other platforms if other people want an "awesome game" to play.)

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

What is this nonsense? My decent PC is maintained, updated, and upgraded enough to still run new MMOs. Having a PC for me has always been a thing since the SNES days. This is way I don't label myself as a "Console gamer". I am just a gamer and consumer. 

I don't buy consoles over other consoles or over PC. I bought every system I wanted and passed on systems I didn't want based on each system's merits. 
This gen PC+PS4+WiiU(and latter Switch) gave me access to just about every game I wanted. Next gen PC+Switch will be enough but I will need to wait for the Sony ports. Easy.

You can doubt whatever you feel like. I am merely speaking for myself and slightly for friends that I know in a similar boat. 
If I were you, I wouldn't treat me or my PC or my gaming history as a "one off" or abnormal case. Again, this happened to Xbox and many others repeat the same opinion that a decent PC makes owning an Xbox superfluous. Great, we can still buy MS software on PC but we aren't spending money on the console or buying games from the Xbox store. 

As far as Windows and PC goes, Microsoft doesn't get money from PC hardware sales and windows is a $20 OEM code away from Reddit. Microsoft doesn't get any money from any game made or sold on PC that isn't sold on the Windows store.(which PC gamers don't use)  Not much of an offset for losing out on a console sale and all the potential revenue from games sales on the Xbox store.

Microsoft has handled this generation as well as you could hope having fallen behind so early.  It's not about matching Sony in console sales anymore so Windows isn't there to make up money in OEM codes or Windows Store sales... the ground they've made up is in good will in making both of their PC and Xbox userbases very happy in the value Gamepass brings, making their PC userbase extremely happy by bending on the whole UWP thing and bringing the games to Steam, pushing hard for a fan favorite in cross-play, proper disc-based backwards compatibility with a growing number of games, etc.  Actually doing the things people ask for.  They've been very consumer oriented the back half of this generation and that shit matters these days.

Where Sony has been making a lot of missteps with the lead.  Being needlessly secretive about the PS5, fighting cross-play for years, giving backwards compatibility in the form of a subscription service, giving us a barely functional name change option after how long?  It's getting to the point where the only thing keeping people on board is the exclusives... as we can see here.

EDIT: In that light, I guess in a way I agree that giving up their exclusives is misguided... but only because they did everything else so wrong this generation.  I can't really blame people for wanting to take the first train out of town, but why be angry about it?

25 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

No. Because by that logic no game should be exclusive, which is thus less incentive to prioritize getting certain gaming consoles. Not to mention PS is heavily defined by and supported because of their exclusives. Take that away and it loses some of its identity, and I shouldn't have to mention the harm to the playerbase that will ensure, since PS isn't known for its superior hardware, U.I., graphics, etc over the other platforms that aren't Nintendo Switch. PlayStation needs its exclusives, and they're part of what makes it such an amazing system to own. (Plenty of wonderful third parties series out there.)

The only reason exclusives should exist is for whatever advantage it gives the developers to make the game they want to make.  If that's hardware specific functionality, the money/resources, etc.  Otherwise it's just blind fan loyalty, and the only people that lose there are the consumers.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

One, "decent PC's" likely won't play proper PS5 releases/ports well.  I'm kinda doubting "decent PCs" are even playing proper PS4 releases/ports now.  At least, in any way that actually warrants it over the console itself.  If you bought or built a legit gaming PC that'll last you two console generations AND the consoles, by all means pick one and go with it, you silly goose.

Two, Microsoft has incentive to bring its catalog to PC because its one less Xbox bought but one more Windows PC used.  Connecting their two ecosystems makes sense.  Sony has no such incentive.  Whatever waters they're testing here will likely not change much down the road, and if it does it's because the response to it was positive (either sales, or good PR, or both).  If you want to wait 3, 5, 7, 10 years after a PS5 games release to see if any of them eventually come to PC so you can see if it runs on your "decent PC"... and you think that's to your advantage... well, bless your sweet little heart.

Three, you're kinda committed to the sky is falling approach here so I'm not going to waste my time explaining why giving more people the chance to play great games could lead to good PR.  The only nightmare right now is in your head.

If "decent PCs" aren't playing PS4 releases now, then they aren't "proper" ports to begin with and are horribly optimized and don't get proper graphical settings that PC games should have.

Me buying MCC on Steam resulted in Microsoft making 30% less than they would have if I bought it digiitally on the Xbox store or Windows store. I'm glad they put it on Steam, because I wouldn't have bought it at all if they made me use that shit Windows Store. But, it's less money. Every person pushed off the Xbox Store and onto Steam, GOG, etc is 30% less for MS to sponge off of every third party game. This applies to Sony as well.

When GTA5 sells on PS4, Sony gets a piece of the action. When GTA5 sells on PC, Sony gets fuck all for it. So pushing their hardware is important to the bottom line. It goes beyond just increasing overall sales numbers of a singular title. The fewer overall sales made on Sony's platform, the less money they're making. They need hardware to be bought so they can sell games on it. Most important of those are third party games. Sony has probably made more off of Fortnite and GTA5 than most if not all their own games.

And there's no doubt in my mind Sony has had far better conversations than those who have their heads in the clouds and think that more platforms just means more money and success with zero negative impact anywhere else.

Plenty of PC gamers already bought PlayStation (and Nintendo) for the exclusives. Now they can just wait for Sony to cave and put more of their games on PC instead of bother with their comparatively useless hardware with shitty PS+ requirements, censorship, worse sales, etc.

Edited by Elvick_

14 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

The only reason exclusives should exist is for whatever advantage it gives the developers to make the game they want to make.  If that's hardware specific functionality, the money/resources, etc.  Otherwise it's just blind fan loyalty, and the only people that lose there are the consumers.

May'be—though that only applies in drastic cases, such as PlayStation Move and VR—but PlayStation still thrives off its exclusives and offers like the best overall library of them. This is something PlayStation has been known for and has utterly mastered for decades... There's no reason for them to stop. 

Edited by EcoShifter

5 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

May'be—though that only applies in drastic cases such as PlayStation Move and VR—but PlayStation still thrives off its exclusives and offers like the best overall library of them. This is something PlayStation has been known for and has utterly mastered for decades... There's no reason for them to stop. 

I'm turning around on it a bit.  Sony shouldn't stop... but only because they botched everything else this generation so bad that losing their exclusives, the one thing they got right, probably would hurt them more than it should.  Where Microsoft has gone all-in on the pro consumer stuff to make up ground for the next generation and Nintendo has just kinda watched from the sidelines.

Of course, one first party exclusive ported to PC doesn't mean all exclusives will be.  That's where you guys need to chill out.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Why not? What stop them? There is more moneyz...

Because hopefully they have enough sense to not give up the only thing Playstation has going for it at the moment.  They certainly don't have the loyalty of their fanbase, nor should they after fucking up so much this generation, if one 3 year old exclusive being ported has everyone jumping ship.

Edited by Dreakon13

14 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Of course, one first party exclusive ported to PC doesn't mean all exclusives will be.  That's where you guys need to chill out.

Well, there's also the potential for The Last of Us 2 to be coming to PC as well given certain news tied to its development. It's naive to believe Horizon Zero Dawn—and any other titles I may be forgetting—are the only titles to be ported to PC.. Clearly it won't end here. 

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Again, no. I just listed Heavy Rain as one other before Horizon Zero Dawn. There's also the potential for The Last of Us 2 to be coming to PC as well. It's naive to believe Horizon Zero Dawn—Heavy Rain and any other titles I may be forgetting—are the only titles to be ported to PC.. Clearly it won't end here. 

Quantic Dream isn't owned by Sony, so their games aren't first party.  Neither is Kojima Productions for example, hence Death Stranding not being in the conversation despite being slated for the PC release as well.

Guerrilla Games is first party, and as far as I know the first to go to PC.  There's no reason to think it'll continue unless Sony benefits from it.

Edited by Dreakon13

4 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Because hopefully they have enough sense to not give up the only thing Playstation has going for it at the moment.  They certainly don't have the loyalty of their fanbase, nor should they after fucking up so much this generation, if one 3 year old exclusive being ported has everyone jumping ship.

Today I learned something that people have been saying for months but I refused to believe. Sony stoped caring abouth their fanbase. I'm not jumping ship, I will surely buy PS5 someday, but not at first day as I wanted, and won't believe anymore in this false "exclusives"

4 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Again, no. I just listed Heavy Rain as one other before Horizon Zero Dawn. There's also the potential for The Last of Us 2 to be coming to PC as well. It's naive to believe Horizon Zero Dawn—Heavy Rain and any other titles I may be forgetting—are the only titles to be ported to PC.. Clearly it won't end here. 

If I'm not mistaken Quantic Dream wasn't a first party of Sony, Sony just published the game. In the case of HZD is Sony giving away his game voluntarily.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Today I learned something that people have been saying for months but I refused to believe. Sony stoped caring abouth their fanbase. I'm not jumping ship, I will surely buy PS5 someday, but not at first day as I wanted, and won't believe anymore in this false "exclusives"

If the bonds are so fragile, you may as well break them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Quantic Dream isn't owned by Sony, so their games aren't first party. 

Guerrilla Games is first party, and as far as I know the first to go to PC.  There's no reason to think it'll continue unless Sony benefits from it.

Yes, not first party, but it was still a PlayStation exclusive, though.

There's 100% reason to think it'll continue; Sony President confirmed last year they plan to bring PlayStation exclusives over to PC. They're not going to stop at a mere few, let alone one.

Edited by EcoShifter

7 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Was still a PlayStation exclusive, though.

Killzone Shadow Fall will probably be among the next. There's 100% reason to think it'll continue. Sony President confirmed last year they plan to bring playstation exlusives over to PC. They're not going to stop at a mere few, let alone one.

Whatever you say fella.

32 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

just wait for Sony to cave and put more of their games on PC instead of bother with their comparatively useless hardware

Sidenote, I'd argue PC hardware is more useless.  It has more raw power but its wasted in the sense that it's primarily playing games designed for a quarter of it on console.  It's a shame there aren't really PC exclusive games that take advantage of it.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

If I'm not mistaken Quantic Dream wasn't a first party of Sony, Sony just published the game. In the case of HZD is Sony giving away his game voluntarily.

Would you say Quantic Dreams games, MLB the Show, and HZD all going to PC in such a short time frame is a coincidence or just random?

Spiderman is a 1st party game but it is also a licensed property. If Disney pulls a MLB move and wants their game on everything then what stance can Sony take other than laying down?
HZD is an experiment. What happens if the experiment succeeds? What move will they make to react on the results of their experiment? 

5 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Would you say Quantic Dreams games, MLB the Show, and HZD all going to PC in such a short time frame is a coincidence or just random?

Spiderman is a 1st party game but it is also a licensed property. If Disney pulls a MLB move and wants their game on everything then what stance can Sony take other than laying down?
HZD is an experiment. What happens if the experiment succeeds? What move will they make to react on the results of their experiment? 

I would like to think that it was random.

Sony and Disney are walking on thin ice with the spiderman license thing, it took a lot for SM to go back to the MCU, I don't think Disney will be stupid enough to puit everything on jeopardy because of the game... Sony in the other hand...

I don't know, I just think that succeeds or not the result has already been decided...

• Like 1

This is fantastic news. Not sure why people are against a port of a 3 year old game to another platform. Nobody is taking anything away from the fans.

I don't remember this happening when Banjo and Kazooie appeared in Smash Ultimate, or Cuphead and Ori were announced for Switch.

Hopefully they'll port Bloodborne next. That game deserves a rock solid 60fps+ framerate.

Either way, just don't be like this guy:

People seem to argue that Nintendo doesn't put their games on PC, so why should Sony?

They are making mobile games though. Super Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and Pokemon are all on Mobile in one form or another.

Edited by soniq
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

Because Guerrilla Games boss is now Sony's boss. This guy will ruin Sony.

5 hours ago, soniq said:

This is People seem to argue that Nintendo doesn't put their games on PC, so why should Sony?

They are making mobile games though. Super Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and Pokemon are all on Mobile in one form or another.

Nintendo is making unique games on mobile. That is not the same as porting their console games to mobile. 
Them being a Japanese company when a lot of the consumers started favoring mobile games their stockholders started questioning why Nintendo was the only game company without any mobile games. So Nintendo made unique games for mobile.

Really how deceptive can you people be when making these comparisons? 

It's as if you think people reading your comments are 5 y/o and too dumb to see through the BS

• Like 3