Horizon Zero Dawn Confirmed for PC release this summer.

snakebit10

20 hours ago, XXIIlII said:

Because Guerrilla Games boss is now Sony's boss. This guy will ruin Sony.

I'm well aware of that. I've been following him since he created the magnificent Horizon Zero Dawn. Don't think he'll ruin Sony, but he will inevitably make some mistakes—like this recent one—along the way like anyone else would. (No-one is perfect and makes the right decisions every single time.) Just wish the one he just made wasn't one of them.

Edited by EcoShifter

I don’t see how Horizon going to PC is going to kill the Playstation brand. When the PS4 was launched, did it have many exclusives? No it didn’t really other than Killzone and Infamous Second Son. And yet it sold really well. Exclusives really don’t mean everything and if they did then why doesn’t like Uncharted 4 have like 30-35 million units sold instead of the 16 million or so? And why has the Xbox One sold like nearly 50 million units even though every exclusive is available day 1 on PC and Gamespass? I would say about 75-80% (just a guess. Feel free to correct me) of PS4 fanbase is just casuals who most likely don’t have much knowledge of making a console killing Computer for about $500 and they don’t have the space or even more money to invest on a gaming PC. So these casuals will continue to buy the PS5 even if most of the exclusives continue to come to PC. And I guess Sony is seeing by putting Horizon on PC as to if they will be able to offset the money lost by losing the PS Plus subscriptions and other PS Store purchases due to the Hardcore gamers just using their PCs instead. I don’t think that Sony really cares that much about console units sold because there is a chance they might sell the PS5 at a loss. So a greater number of software units sold is probably more profitable in that case. As for me, I would probably buy a PS5 because I have absolutely no knowledge of the computer components to make a good PC and it takes time to research the parts needed which I don’t have. 

Edited by Noskillzpro407
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Noskillzpro407 said:

I don’t see how Horizon going to PC is going to kill the Playstation brand. When the PS4 was launched, did it have many exclusives? No it didn’t really other than Killzone and Infamous Second Son. And yet it sold really well. I would say about 75-80% (just a guess. Feel free to correct me) of PS4 fanbase is just casuals who most likely don’t have much knowledge of making a console killing Computer for about $500 and they don’t have the space or even more money to invest on a gaming PC. So these casuals will continue to buy the PS5 even if most of the exclusives continue to come to PC. And I guess Sony is seeing by putting Horizon on PC as to if they will be able to offset the money lost by losing the PS Plus subscriptions and other PS Store purchases due to the Hardcore gamers just using their PCs instead. I don’t think that Sony really cares that much about console units sold because there is a chance they might sell the PS5 at a loss. So a greater number of software units sold is probably more profitable in that case. As for me, I would probably buy a PS5 because I have absolutely no knowledge of the computer components to make a good PC and it takes time to research the parts needed which I don’t have. 

PS4's launch isn't related to putting games on PC native. Whatever you think about the launch titles for the PS4 doesn't bring about the same concerns of putting games on PC.

I can't correct you about that random percent of casuals but I would ask that you support that number yourself. That's fact you're making up. 
Also, why $500? Why "console killer gaming PC"?
If you want to makeup what casuals do then why can't casuals just go to Best Buy get a pre-built with a warranty and play PC games on med/high setting? Seems pretty easy. I mean, a bunch of companies have been making pre-built PCs with gaming specs for years, decades even...why must a casual be confined to building a PC for $500? That price point might be scary to console only gamers but consumers seem fine with buying phones, computers, TVs...and other consumer electronics at higher price points. 

Console sales = potential PSN sales. If you want to say software sales matter most you need to realize that Sony sold 1.5 billion pieces of software on PSN/PS4. With selling the console then that wouldn't have been possible. You people want to repeat the consoles aren't profitable...but if that is true then we have a term for that "loss leader". A loss leader is a product that losses money but is used to get consumers to buy more profitable goods. Without the loss leader(console) then  none of these consoles makers  would be able to get sales money from any video game, including 3rd party sales. 

I found this post on pushsquare and I think that it resumes everything that some PS users are feeling, people think that all this whining is because more people will play sony "exclusives" and that is far from it...

"Way to miss the point. Most people don't necessarily care that other people are getting to play the game. People care that consoles are essentially losing what makes them unique; Exclusives. I have seen many people harping on that Sony has done so well this generation due to one thing. Which is? Because, they, have, games! Exclusives are any console's ultimate selling point. Yes, this is just one game that was first party, but everything has a starting point. People are ultimately worried that this is another nail in consoles as we know them, combined with other factors such as an aggressive move to digital and cloud gaming.

And Sony have not said anything reassuring yet to suggest this is a one off. All they have said is that not all games will necessarily be on PC and not at date and time as PS4/5. This could be interpreted as Sony getting ready to put a leg into the pool of PC rather than a toe. They have been thinking about this for a while. Time will tell if this is truly a one off (would make sense, Death Stranding was originally coming to PC anyway from my understanding and uses the same engine as HZD), but for the time being, people are concerned, and I think they are right to be."

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/03/ex-guerrilla_producer_rips_butthurt_playstation_fans_over_horizon_pc_port#comment5482380

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of exclusive games going multiplatform, at least when it comes to games from first party studios. It's true that pretty much all value has been extracted from the game on PS4 at this point (it has been dirt cheap for ages), but I don't think that's a good reason to sell it on another platform. Exclusives give people a reason to buy a console and makes it more valuable to those who already own one, knowing they can't play these games anywhere else. Sony's #1 priority should be to make their own consoles as great as possible.

Having said all that, am I upset about this decision? No, not really. The game is 3 years old at this point and I still haven't gotten around to playing it myself which goes to show how much interest I have in the game. :P Still, I hope this doesn't become a trend with PlayStation. I wouldn't want to see them go the way of Xbox where their consoles are pretty much pointless to buy since pretty much all they have are multiplatform titles.

• Like 2

I'm not gonna lie, I don't really see the downside with Horizon going to PC. More people to appreciate the game, alongside more profit in Sony's bank (at least a cut), even if Sony's games end up going to PC alongside its console release I don't even see that as a problem, more options for people on where to buy the game and what not.
Personally I'd always end up nabbing the console release since that is my preference.

1 hour ago, RedRozeReaper said:

I'm not gonna lie, I don't really see the downside with Horizon going to PC. More people to appreciate the game, alongside more profit in Sony's bank (at least a cut), even if Sony's games end up going to PC alongside its console release I don't even see that as a problem, more options for people on where to buy the game and what not.
Personally I'd always end up nabbing the console release since that is my preference.

Sony sells a Sony game on PSN = 100% revenue goes to Sony

Sony sells a Sony game on Steam = 30% revenue goes to Steam

Buying Sony games also meant buying a console, maybe signing up to PS+, and maybe buying more games off PSN.

In the above situations there's no "only PC gamer" or "only 

Selling games on PC when you have your own hardware and storefront elsewhere is not a pure gain. 

That's the basic finical of it. "more people playing it" is silly rhetoric when you realize  anyone at anytime could have bought a console for any console exclusives. The people you are so happy about getting access always had access. 

They are a store front whose store only exists on their consoles. If they are just an app store on other platforms then you'd have a point. 

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 3

On 3/10/2020 at 10:31 AM, Mastersturm said:

I've also noticed that for most multi platform games, the communities for console dwarf that of PC (keyword most). It's crazy how some games can be dead on PC but still have a healthy player base on console.

I just don't see why people think exclusives are the only selling point of consoles for customers and why a single game going over to PC 3 years after its release should signal the end of console gaming as a whole.

I've found plenty of indie games on Steam that have a much bigger fanbase than that on PS4. I've noticed for a lot of indie games they have stuck around on Steam for a few years until they finally get ported over. Some indie gems I've played like Volgarr the Viking have a bigger playerbase on Steam whereas it's practically dead on the PS4 because very few people know about the game.

Super Meat Boy has had 10 years on Steam and it still generates plenty of players on that platform. PS4, not so much.

As for Horizon Zero Dawn, most of everyone who was interested in playing the game has already played it and finished it. It's dirt fucking cheap nowadays on Amazon.com and other online retail websites. If this is a sign of things to come, then we can expect Marvel's Spider-Man to be released on other platforms.... sooner or later.

On 3/10/2020 at 9:21 AM, Dreakon13 said:

It just seems like six of one, half dozen to me.  You're playing the same games, likely spending the same amount of money (or more), for a potentially worse experience if the games don't port well/aren't optimized/laden with DRM bloatware.  And instead of a guarantee of getting new, working games for the life of the console... you're banking that your PC hardware will hold up over that span.  And unless you're planning on pirating or playing exclusively indies in bundles a year after they come out, you're still paying full retail for new games or buying games on similarly priced sales as console.

Not to knock the idea, I'm sure people have their reasons.  Just trying to wrap my head around making the switch hard stop like that.  I've had terrible experiences with PC games on mid-range hardware so I may just not understand the appeal.

My thoughts exactly.

The problem is some of these games could be priced higher than what you got on console, for a more shitty experience.

Most stuff I play on Steam nowadays is basically old computer games from the 1990s - 2000s era to well developed indie titles that I can buy for dirt cheap. Anything from 2013 onwards that is a AAA game I pretty much play on my PS4 if it's something I'm interested in, because my computer cannot handle specs that games in the past five years require.

The only game I see myself playing on my PC or a potential custom PC gaming desktop is The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Love that game to death, but having already played it numerous times I just don't see the point.

On 3/10/2020 at 10:43 AM, Dreakon13 said:

I'm with you.  That's part of the reason why I went from all-in on PC to all-in on consoles.  As a software dev with my head buried in monitors all day, the thought of sitting at my desk at home doing the same thing makes me sick (even if I still end up doing that more nights than I'd like). xD

And tinkering with getting games to work, or getting them to work better, was fun... until it wasn't anymore.

I used to dabble in getting older computer strategy games to work on my PC. Did this a lot before I switched to PlayStation in 2015, even tinkering with MMOs like World of Warcraft and Runescape so they would look better on my monitor.

I don't have that kind of patience anymore. I like popping in a game and not having to worry about changing PC settings because something was off when you got to the main menu of a game. I can't imagine playing something like Assassins Creed Origins or Watch Dogs 2 on the PC while you have to change settings for a little more optimization. I got tired of that shit years ago.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:10 AM, Dreakon13 said:

I don't think console gamers don't have PC's... but with the advent of smartphones/tablets/etc, I do think that kind of gaming PC is becoming less and less common among people who don't use them for gaming (and even less so their patience and ability to troubleshoot and maintain one if they did).  If console gamers having mid-to-high end gaming PC's was ever really a "thing" in the first place?

And yes, I don't like social media outrage as much as anyone but being on the right side of it is advantageous (and disasterous if you're on the wrong side) for obvious reasons we've seen countless times now.

I very much think the mobile gaming industry is a cesspool that has fostered many of the malicious practices that we see today, microtransactions and lootboxes being among them. But that's another topic for another day.

I never saw console gamers ever really having high end gaming PCs. Having a good PC is still expensive when you have to consider everything that goes into it, buying the parts from Newegg.com and other online retailers. It's cheaper nowadays than it used to be 10 - 20 years ago, and there are a lot more sources and articles that give you good pointers on building a custom PC. But financially you save a lot more with consoles. Upgrading from PS4 to PS4 Pro is still a much cheaper option than building a custom PC from scratch.

I used to buy custom parts for PCs in the past, but got sick of it when games kept increasing the spec requirements. If you play the latest and greatest AAA games on a PC then you probably don't care for console gaming anyway, and you can afford the latest graphic cards that support the latest 3-D graphics.

Don't really care for social media outrage anymore. After Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Fallout 76 we can expect every AAA game out of a handful of them to generate some buzz from the media. It's what they like to see, then the masses bitch about the game until it's no longer relevant and something else that's big pops up.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I used to dabble in getting older computer strategy games to work on my PC. Did this a lot before I switched to PlayStation in 2015, even tinkering with MMOs like World of Warcraft and Runescape so they would look better on my monitor.

I don't have that kind of patience anymore. I like popping in a game and not having to worry about changing PC settings because something was off when you got to the main menu of a game. I can't imagine playing something like Assassins Creed Origins or Watch Dogs 2 on the PC while you have to change settings for a little more optimization. I got tired of that shit years ago.

I spent WEEKS trying to get my mid-range PC to play Dying Light correctly.  The screen tearing was horrible since my PC at the time couldn't maintain 60fps and Vsync in the game was broken.  Trying to force Vsync/Double Buffering in the graphic card settings outside of the game caused these framerates to literally jump from 60fps to 30fps every time it dipped under 60fps even a little, because that's how its designed to prevent the screen tearing.

The answer was eventually to get third party software like MSI Afterburner to hard cap it at 30fps and stop the dips.  Which is fine, but it took a long time to figure out the issue and that fix... and it just added another step (of many) to white/blacklist it in Afterburner and adjust accordingly for every game I played.

Like I said... tinkering is fun, until it isn't anymore.  There's something to be said about games just working.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

I'm gonna buy it again for PC. I enjoyed this game quite a bit and I'm definitely looking forward to a replay..

I also don't get how people get butthurt over this.
So what, it's coming to PC? What's the issue for you? You don't own the game, you don't lose money, you don't lose enjoyment... I don't get it. It's not your choice.

I also don't get the hate towards PC gamers :/ I mean there's definitely some idiots out there, I won't defend that, but not everybody is the same. I hate this whole stupid platform war bullshit. It's useless.

• Like 2

What's the issue for you?

I stated my issue. It means I am skeptical of "only on PlaySation" games and think that waiting for the PC releases makes more sense to me. Thus, will opt to buy and play more games on PC instead of a Sony console. To the point of no longer needing a Sony console. As enjoyment goes it is just a different box being used but from a business perspective it seems pretty dumb to be fine with losing my console sales, 1st party game sale,  3rd party games, and PS+ sub all to give Steam 30% of any game sold there.

This "platform war" you hate is just business competition to me. The same happened with Xbox and my money. Xbox undermined the need to own an Xbox console and stay in their retail store(s). This gen they didn't get any money from me for a console. I didn't buy any games from the Window store. From a PC gamer perspective it is pure win. From the perspective of a person that actually likes consoles or a company that is supposedly invested in making consoles it is an embarrassing move that put Xbox in last place in hardware/software sales and made the brand weak. 

I also dislike the messaging, it is trash. They call it an experiment, claim to be 100% committed to exclusives/hardware, and saying they don't necessarily have plans for day-and-date. The way I see experiments is that there are two outcomes; failure and success. Each outcome then has another path. Sony has defined what will be considered a failure or success in this case nor have they elaborated on what will happen if this experiment succeeds. This experiment and previous interviews about games going to PC does not look like a 100% commitment to hardware to me. The word "necessarily" is sneaky as hell and means everything is open despite the PR attempting to make it sound like this change is limited. 

I am not one to be fooled by words. Naughty Dog hired a few Nvidia programmers a couple months back. That action speaks volumes and tells me more than that softball interview. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WaxWeazle said:

I'm gonna buy it again for PC. I enjoyed this game quite a bit and I'm definitely looking forward to a replay..

I also don't get how people get butthurt over this.
So what, it's coming to PC? What's the issue for you? You don't own the game, you don't lose money, you don't lose enjoyment... I don't get it. It's not your choice.

I also don't get the hate towards PC gamers :/ I mean there's definitely some idiots out there, I won't defend that, but not everybody is the same. I hate this whole stupid platform war bullshit. It's useless.

The platform war has been going on for decades. It's nothing new.

As for PC gamers, my problem comes when they come out and brag how much better the PC is as a gaming platform over the consoles. I don't care for the Nintendo Switch apart from a few exclusives, and I think it is a rather weak console that sells more on it's gimmicks than it's substance. I've bitched about it in the past, but I know in the end it is peoples choice to get that console. I know people in real life who mostly play on the Switch, but I'm not going to breath my neck down on them and tell them to switch to PC or Sony.

When PC gamers come out and bitch how superior the PC is I just want to slap them across the face. There are plenty of guys who exclusively play on the PC who don't talk shit, I'm perfectly fine with that. But when they say I'm somehow missing out because I'm not playing a AAA game in glorious 4K definition and 60 FPS, that makes people feel they're being put behind by sticking with consoles.

I've done PC gaming for years and I'm not some kid who just stumbled upon a PC. I know where to buy good parts for custom desktops so I'm not completely in the dark if I decide to give up my PS4 and put all my resources into building a PC so I can play new AAA games on it.

Horizon Zero Dawn received monumental levels of success and is regarded as a must play for the PS4. The thing is, three years have passed, and just about everyone who wanted the game has already gone and played it. You can argue that this is moving towards timed exclusives, which is both good and bad.

Good, because an audience that plays on the PC only will get a chance to play it. Bad, because this loses a chunk of appeal that Sony had, bringing it closer to the Xbox One. Exclusives help sell a console, throwing them away will lose the identity that the console had.

11 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

I stated my issue. It means I am skeptical of "only on PlaySation" games and think that waiting for the PC releases makes more sense to me. Thus, will opt to buy and play more games on PC instead of a Sony console. To the point of no longer needing a Sony console. As enjoyment goes it is just a different box being used but from a business perspective it seems pretty dumb to be fine with losing my console sales, 1st party game sale,  3rd party games, and PS+ sub all to give Steam 30% of any game sold there.

This "platform war" you hate is just business competition to me. The same happened with Xbox and my money. Xbox undermined the need to own an Xbox console and stay in their retail store(s). This gen they didn't get any money from me for a console. I didn't buy any games from the Window store. From a PC gamer perspective it is pure win. From the perspective of a person that actually likes consoles or a company that is supposedly invested in making consoles it is an embarrassing move that put Xbox in last place in hardware/software sales and made the brand weak.

This is a serious issue and I have to agree with your statement.

I have my reasons for not liking the new Sony exclusives as much as the old ones, but they're still worthwhile investments that had thousands of people who worked hard on them.

Currently there is an issue going on with the Spider-Man license so I don't know how Marvel's Spider-Man will fare in the future. If the sequel turns out to be across all platforms, do we have the right to complain?

The real kicker for me will be the God of War series getting released on other platforms. This is without question, my favorite Sony exclusive franchise. I played most of the games close to release, I've stuck with the series ever since the original came out back in 2005. Having that series be released on other platforms will help signal the death of exclusives because we will know they were just "timed exclusives".

Xbox had Halo, Gears of War and Forza. Nowadays you can practically play their exclusives right on the PC, there's no need to play on the Xbox One. For God of War 2018 and Detroit: Become Human, you still have to play them on the PS4. I like to keep it that way. This move by Sony could mean the sequel to The Order 1886 will be on the PC as well.

PC gamers win, because they have the specs and the superior hardware. Console gamers lose, because the exclusives are no longer exclusives, and you're playing on inferior hardware. That is what irritates me about this move.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

It's so perplexing seeing how some people don't see even the slightest issue wrong with this, while others do without any kind of critical thinking whatsoever. Additionally, "the game being three years old" is among one of, if not, the worse argumentative points brought up here.

19 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Detroit: Become Human, you still have to play them on the PS4. I like to keep it that way.

Like Heavy Rain/Beyond: Two Souls (and NieR Automata even), Detroit Become Human is not a PlayStation exclusive.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

It's so perplexing seeing how some people don't see even the slightest issue wrong with this, while others do without any kind of critical thinking whatsoever. Additionally, "the game being three years old" is among one of, if not, the worse argumentative points brought up here.

Like Heavy Rain/Beyond: Two Souls (and NieR Automata even), Detroit Become Human is not a PlayStation exclusive.

Care to elaborate more on this?

Just now, Spaz said:

Care to elaborate more on this?

All of them can already be played on PC. 

(P.S. I just hope PC don't get exclusive legacy titles/series like Wipeout Collection, Shadow of the Colossus, etc. I'll be upset if Killzone Shadow Fall is brought over, but in short it won't be as big a deal. They can have The Order: 1886, though. *cry-laugh*)

Just now, EcoShifter said:

All of them can already be played on PC. 

(P.S. I just hope PC don't get exclusive legacy titles/series like Wipeout Collection, Shadow of the Colossus, etc. I'll be upset if Killzone Shadow Fall is brought over, but in short it won't be as big a deal. They can have The Order: 1886, though. *cry-laugh*)

All I'm trying to say is I don't like the crap Sony has pulled these past two years.

I can understand MLB the Show possibly fully moving towards PC because that is a sports franchise and having that available on Steam will surely get a lot more people playing the series. No harm no foul really, considering how few people care about those games.

Microsoft has been rather generous these past few years. Some of my friends have noticed the change of heart after the disastrous move to have every exclusive on the Xbox One available on the PC. So Microsoft coming into next generation may have something going for them.

Sony has been rather secretive in regards to just what is going to be featured on the PS5. Things like not having a name change option until last year, and the way they have handled themselves in their press releases. I don't think they really care much for their playerbase anymore.

Funny how back in May 2011 they were begging players to stick with them because their entire network was hacked which led them to issuing out free games to people. Now several years later they have basically outsold everyone else (except PC of course) with the massive success of the PS4.

So what will happen when the PS5 comes? Who knows, anything can happen. But right now I feel Sony is moving in the direction Microsoft was going towards back in 2013 before they completely killed off their own console, making it pointless to have for exclusives since virtually everything could be obtained on the PC.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11.3.2020 at 5:10 PM, TJ_Solo said:

Really how deceptive can you people be when making these comparisons? 

It's as if you think people reading your comments are 5 y/o and too dumb to see through the BS

Not a native speaker, so my definition of being deceptive might be wrong, but my point was that Nintendo also puts games on other platforms that aren't their own.

So if I'm getting you right, you'd rather have a Horizon endless runner on mobile than a high quality port of a very good game? Honest question, not implying anything or trying to decieve people.

edit: Ok, after reading a few more posts of you, I realise that you are heavily invested in the brand in some way or another, and either can't or don't want to see the benefits to reaching a broader audience.

Edited by soniq

Nice news that PS exclusive is going multiplatform especially to PC where we can see moders do a magical staff. personal i don't feel its wrong. I am a ps fan and I always will be using the PlayStation to play games, in fact, I am with multiplatform ideas. 

long live gamers 

• 3 weeks later...

There are a lot of ignorant ps4 fanboy douchebags not just in this thread but under many reddit threads/YouTube videos about this topic aswell. A game switching from exclusive to multi platform is NOT a bad thing. Why can't you just be glad that other people are going to experience this game now aswell?

Edited by xDerErnst
  • Like 1

I don't have a PC powerful enough to run games better than on my PS4 Pro, have no inclination to invest in such a device and it wouldn't be worthwhile to do so anyway since I travel between two locations regularly so I really couldn't care less

I don't mind seeing all exclusives go to PC eventually, but it completely destroys the purpose of me owning a Playstation. I'd rather just buy a PC at that point, so I can play PC, PS and Xbox games. Switch is the next console I'm buying, so I'm sure that will keep me pretty busy into next gen while I see how Sony handles their exclusives.

1 hour ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

I don't mind seeing all exclusives go to PC eventually, but it completely destroys the purpose of me owning a Playstation. I'd rather just buy a PC at that point, so I can play PC, PS and Xbox games. Switch is the next console I'm buying, so I'm sure that will keep me pretty busy into next gen while I see how Sony handles their exclusives.

There isn't really a reason to own an Xbox or a ps4 when you have enough money for a pc anyway. Pc gaming is just the overall better choice and experience. Anyone who disagrees never had the chance to play on a high end gaming pc. This is coming from someone whose main platform is the ps since the ps1. Free multiplayer, massive mod support, better performance + visuals, the list is long.

10 minutes ago, xDerErnst said:

There isn't really a reason to own an Xbox or a ps4 when you have enough money for a pc anyway. Pc gaming is just the overall better choice and experience. Anyone who disagrees never had the chance to play on a high end gaming pc. This is coming from someone whose main platform is the ps since the ps1. Free multiplayer, massive mod support, better performance + visuals, the list is long.

I can't play some of my favourite games this gen like God of War, Bloodborne and Persona 5 on PC. I purchased a PS4  for the exclusives, so that is my sole reason to own an PS4 over a PC even though I have enough money for a decent PC. If I was only playing multiplatform games then of course I would go with PC no contest.