400 gb of external drive space gone after fomatting

maniek515

I've had enough of my 500gb drive in ps4 so I grabbed 4tb external one (Seagate Backup Plus). Console did recognise it with no issues however diaplayed space before formatting was 4,08tb and 3,68tb after. 

Is it normal that so much space was taken just to makenit compatible with console's files? 

Yeah, my external 2TB has 1.84TB available. I've never seen a drive before that actually has the correct amount of storage on it though (you can look at this if you want the specifics): https://www.howtogeek.com/123268/windows-hard-drive-wrong-capacity/

It's funny though, because I was just taking with someone else about this very subject. xD

• Like 2

@maniek515 A 4TB drive will probably hold around 70+ games (& that's assuming they're all 50GB), so that should keep you going for a while. xD I wouldn't call it overkill though, especially when I've seen patchs that are around 100GB now. <_<

@skateak Wait, I thought they did advertise it as a 825GB SSD? That's at least what I've heard a couple weeks ago (I know Xbox said theirs was going to be 1TB though). :hmm:Nevermind, that's what you were saying, I read your post wrong. :P But I'm wondering if they are taking the difference into account, or it's actually going to be like 700GB or something when it comes out?

Edited by Masamune

• 3 weeks later...

To clarify you dont just lose 400GB on a 4TB drive.

The reason for the "loss" is the fact that harddrive manufacturers use 1000KB=1MB but most OSes use 1024KB=1MB

When formatting a 12TB drive on windows it shows 10,9TB usable.

Would be useful if harddrive manufacturers would at least put the 2 bases on the drive 4TB@1000KB/3,6TB@1024KB

Seen a lot of these discussions pas by in the years people get frustrated by the misleading information from manufacturers.