Sony Sending Email To Register For When PS5 Pre Orders Are Available

Aranea Highwind

7 hours ago, igs63 said:

No doubt they improve consoles over the generation, and release new models- just look at the slim and the pro- but a friend of mine has had a day 1 launch PS4 all the way up until now and had no issues with it.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that it's impossible to get a fully functional console day one, but history tells us that in most cases they end up having issues, so I rather play it safe and wait. 

9 minutes ago, djb5f said:

I am not concerned about the hardware at launch but the launch titles aren’t overly enticing which might lead me to waiting. 

For sure and all the titles are on ps4 pretty much for the 1st 6 months or so anyway some longer than that.  I'm in no hurry.  I'd like to have one in about 6 month from release.  Don't get me wrong I'll take one day one if I can find it without a lot of hassle but its not necessary to have it then.  

17 hours ago, igs63 said:

Having worked in a game store for a few years (I only resigned just recently), I can say whole-heartedly I definitely believe in preordering. It really depends on the game/ the edition/ the item however, and of course the store itself. But speaking from experience, a console launch like this, especially when we know that there is a more limited first shipment, you will most likely not be able to walk into a store on launch and just buy one. There will be shipments, and people will have to place an order to be part of it. As for games, collectors editions can and will sell out. You need to preorder those. Even standard edition games if they're not a super big launch (think big AAA titles like Call of Duty, etc), I have seen sell out on the first day. I worked the launch of Ghost of Tsushima and we even sold out day 1. Anyone who didn't preorder missed out. A bunch of walk-ins for the next week didn't get a copy until we got our next lot of stock. This happens a lot for smaller titles, especially lately. Of course this can depend on how much stock is allocated to a particular store. Bigger stores might get more stock. And of course at the end of the day if you change your mind on a preorder, we happily refund the price. (We also only ask a minimum deposit of $10-50, depending on the price of the game, so it's not a lot out of your pocket until you pick up the game).

I'm not asking you to believe in preordering, or to do it yourself. You may be able to be lucky enough to walk in to a store every time and get what you want, when you want it. However I don't think you should call it BS.

I also worked at a game store (EB Games) previously. I concur with everything you said here. And cue the people yelling at poor minimum wage folk for not being able to pull stock out of their bums. That's what a pre-order is for! It's literally *just* to make sure you get what you want when it's ready. Not sure why people think it's some big scam. Except when the idiots at the Walmart I worked at oversold their preorders for the WiiU. Then I can see why people would think that way. 

• Like 1

I honestly get why they're doing this. Mass production was delayed by 4 months. While the factories were closed in China. Even now the factories are working at lower capacity. Additionally international shipping times are up to 1 month between some countries. 

So with a much more limited stock for the first wave of consoles they want to make sure the people who get them a big Sony players. That's why the sign up uses your PSN ID not just an email. They'll be looking at time played, how much money you spend on the PSN store, do you have PS plus.

Because their revenue is going to be much lower than expected due to covid. Getting the biggest 'fish' access to the console over the guy that just only buys FIFA each year is going to help them in the long run.

I think many of us who have enjoyed the PS4 immensely, have already put aside $1000 for the PS5. (The console, extra controller, games, etc)

Another benefit of this whole selective pre order is scalping can't happen while stocks are limited.