DQ XI S : Trophy Thoughts

Dragon Quest XI is quite possibly my favorite game of all time. I was worried it would be a disappointment because I was so hyped over how amazing DQVIII was many years ago but this game exceeded all of my expectations. Did a 110 hour Platinum run and I'm excited to jump back into the game. I just wish I were playing this on a PS5 instead of a OG PS4 so I think no 60fps.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sn1per666999 said:

Dragon Quest XI is quite possibly my favorite game of all time. I was worried it would be a disappointment because I was so hyped over how amazing DQVIII was many years ago but this game exceeded all of my expectations. Did a 110 hour Platinum run and I'm excited to jump back into the game. I just wish I were playing this on a PS5 instead of a OG PS4 so I think no 60fps.

I wish we were playing the PS4 graphics with the new content instead of the downgraded Switch port's graphics ported to other consoles/pc. Square's management and just general way of doing things is so grossly incompetent and backwards.

How hard is it to just a) release the DLC content for consoles/PC as DLC which it is, THEN port the game switch? I hope they don't do something stupid to the new TWEWY.

On 11/26/2020 at 10:45 PM, sepheroithisgod said:

Kinda lame this isn't just a DLC pack. There's really no reason to rerelease an existing game on the same platform with new features in 2020. I know its common with Japanese games (Persona 5 Royal comes to mind), but I'm not a fan of these types of moves.

I don't mind it at all. Gives me the excuse to get the game finally. Was holding it off until this version was being released on the PS4. Gives the people who haven't owned or held off on these games to finally buy a better version of it. 

• Like 1

The amount of content for the port doesn't equal a small DLC pack. It also wouldn't account for removed content, like the crossbow minigame, which iirc was replaced with something else. This argument and the willful ignorance are truly getting old.

Anyway, the costume trophy may very well be the hardest because there are costumes for clearing Tickington and defeating the new superboss. Otherwise it seems similar to the original PS4 list.

I won't be buying this game myself right now but I did include it in a Christmas wishlist.  If I get it, great!  If not, happy to pick it up down the road at a later time.

I do wonder how fast the loading will be on PS5 as well as the load times were a bit long in some spots as I recall.

On 11/26/2020 at 9:45 PM, sepheroithisgod said:

Kinda lame this isn't just a DLC pack. There's really no reason to rerelease an existing game on the same platform with new features in 2020. I know its common with Japanese games (Persona 5 Royal comes to mind), but I'm not a fan of these types of moves.

In principle I agree, but in the end, this will actually be better for me (or, it will if there's a physical edition). Squeenix is AWFUL about discounting its digital games, and if they added a DLC, it would just sit and rot at $30+ forever.

With this, I can pick up a physical copy down the line for cheap, and get the bonus of extra trophies as well. In fact, I've done just that recently for Persona 5 Royal, picking it up for $20, which would be reasonable for the new material available.

On 11/27/2020 at 5:01 PM, Metal Slime King said:

I think the weirdest part of this decision, to port a Switch title to PS4 where there was already a PS4 version, is the lack of PSN ports for other SE Switch titles like the Collections of Mana or the Final Fantasy Legends / SaGa Collection.

That one particularly makes me sad, because I would much rather have the old version of Secret of Mana than the new one.

As far as the Final Fantasy Legends pack, I wouldn't wish those games on my worst enemy (particularly the 2nd one), and I like a few Saga games. FFL3 was pretty decent, though.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

In principle I agree, but in the end, this will actually be better for me (or, it will if there's a physical edition). Squeenix is AWFUL about discounting its digital games, and if they added a DLC, it would just sit and rot at $30+ forever.

With this, I can pick up a physical copy down the line for cheap, and get the bonus of extra trophies as well. In fact, I've done just that recently for Persona 5 Royal, picking it up for $20, which would be reasonable for the new material available.

That one particularly makes me sad, because I would much rather have the old version of Secret of Mana than the new one.

As far as the Final Fantasy Legends pack, I wouldn't wish those games on my worst enemy (particularly the 2nd one), and I like a few Saga games. FFL3 was pretty decent, though.

I actually never thought of it like that. It's true DLC packs almost never go down in price, but eventually, this game will be in a $20 dollar bin or less.. That's a really good point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LordBilbanes said:

Why does the Japanese version have an extra trophy?  Why were the other territories slighted?  This almost makes me want to never get the game.

In fact, the game has three sets of trophies:US/EU ver,ASIA ver,JAP ver.If you're not a fan of the series, just finish one stack enough.

On 27/11/2020 at 3:45 AM, sepheroithisgod said:

On the surface it does seem strange they couldn't make it DLC, but when making the Switch port they transferred the game to a newer version of Unreal with no plans for a PS4/Xbox version.  So there is a good reason for re-releasing it.

Edited by Xelis

On 12/6/2020 at 0:56 AM, Xelis said:

On the surface it does seem strange they couldn't make it DLC, but when making the Switch port they transferred the game to a newer version of Unreal with no plans for a PS4/Xbox version.  So there is a good reason for re-releasing it.

IN addition, I think the music was re-recorded, which is probably the most exciting part for me.