People think this game is easy?

3 hours ago, DiamondAN-94 said:

In my case for the ps3 it was pretty easy but I also grew up playing the sly series and got to know everything about it. Overall the only bad part about sly 1 is the stupid races and protecting Murray missions. Now the vita is entirely different. That experience was awful 1f602.png

Yeah I've heard the Vita version makes everything 10x worse. Some of these challenges I was just thinking to myself I have no idea how they'd be on Vita, even the driving from the first game I hear has been completely changed mechanically. But yeah I've played harder games than Sly, I wasn't trying to say zomg hax wurst game evrar, with.

I thought playing something like Dark Souls on a Switch would make it a lot harder but I still managed to get through that game great! It was the first game I'd used the right analog stick for, felt weird, never had a handheld with two analog sticks. I don't play docked. 

I also don't think the series is really that much of a 'collect-a-thon' first game maybe but they phase it out by the third game which doesn't have anything besides the coins. 4th games seems to remedy this!

Damn I was gonna try and play this game next. I missed out on the whole franchise as a kid but always thought it looked cool, and had recently heard some of the games were incredibly easy too. Maybe I'll try and find some videos and see if it looks good for me. I'm so bad at platformers it's frustrating lol

Sly games are a (not so) old-school platform experience where funny characters and simple gameplay come together. With simple gameplay I mean simple mechanics, you don't need to think or choose anything: you just play.

I miss the series on Ps2 and played them for the first time on Ps3. I enjoyed the Sly Trilogy so much that I've preorder the 4th as soon as I've completed the third.

All Sly games are straightforward and difficulty-spikes are very few, there is nothing like "do this without die" etc.

I think that call Sly games easy is right in terms of platinum hunters because they do not offer particular challanges in post-games, but if you manage to complete the game (which is far from hard in the 90% of the time) then the plat is an actual 2/10 because you already pass the most difficult part and there is nothing weird to do neither during the regular run or the platinum run.

Sly games are just an old series with clunky features and outdated ideas, but with that magic touch that makes you love them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2020 at 2:44 PM, kindajustin said:

Damn I was gonna try and play this game next. I missed out on the whole franchise as a kid but always thought it looked cool, and had recently heard some of the games were incredibly easy too. Maybe I'll try and find some videos and see if it looks good for me. I'm so bad at platformers it's frustrating lol

If you don't care about having unfinished trophy lists in your log or if you've bought it already then certainly give it a go. I've plat all 3 of them now, actually plat the last one on the day these were commented haha. I know it's always common to look back on something you were complaining about and be like "well it wasn't that bad" but I still stand by what I said. The first game definitely has it the worst but if I had to choose my favorite it would probably be the first game. It has the most core gameplay stealth aspect to it and I think it has the best story but the minigames can be harsh and the Mz Ruby boss is honestly pretty brutal. Like I say, the trophy list is easy but the gameplay itself isn't what you expect a 2/10 would be. I didn't go into the series with that much of an expectation issue but I just assumed that a stealth game would stick to that concept. Maybe it's my fault for expecting a 'kids' game to be a pure stealth experience but that's what the series concept had me believe, it would seem like a perfect niche. By the third game I was certainly enjoying myself more; there's more minigames but it seems like I actually had an easier time than most. I did the final gauntlet run mission my first try. 

On 24/12/2020 at 3:28 PM, Konzel-Erre said:

Sly games are a (not so) old-school platform experience where funny characters and simple gameplay come together. With simple gameplay I mean simple mechanics, you don't need to think or choose anything: you just play.

I miss the series on Ps2 and played them for the first time on Ps3. I enjoyed the Sly Trilogy so much that I've preorder the 4th as soon as I've completed the third.

All Sly games are straightforward and difficulty-spikes are very few, there is nothing like "do this without die" etc.

I think that call Sly games easy is right in terms of platinum hunters because they do not offer particular challanges in post-games, but if you manage to complete the game (which is far from hard in the 90% of the time) then the plat is an actual 2/10 because you already pass the most difficult part and there is nothing weird to do neither during the regular run or the platinum run.

Sly games are just an old series with clunky features and outdated ideas, but with that magic touch that makes you love them.

Well I don't agree with that, all of the boss fights are basically a challenge of not getting hit once or having to do the entire thing again. Mz Ruby and Clockwerk spring to mind as ones that are particularly nerve-wracking, not to mention the 3rd game legit has challenges that start you with half health or require you to not even get hit. Again, a 2/10 implies very little effort on the user but you need to be switched on for it. Glad you enjoyed it that much though, I still have the 4th to play myself. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've always considered Sly 1 to be a spiritual successor to Crash 3. While Sucker Punch was shaping the game to be their own with personality and unique storytelling (Y'know, for platformers), It has the same level-based structure (Point A to point B), time trials (Master Trials), unlockable moves after beating a boss, hub worlds to enter levels, collectables, and fake gameplay variaty (i.e. the vehicles) like Crash 3. Now, if we look at Crash 3, that is also a simple platformer, but after the first level, is where the vehicles come into play, which is why the opinion on Crash 3 is divided in the community. So what has this to do with anything? Well, Sly 1, like Crash 3, is mostly a platformer, but I believe, that Sucker Punch thought the game was too easy and short, and therefor fell into the trap, like Insomniac and Naughty Dog before them, by adding gameplay variaty to increase length and difficulty, that doesn't fit in the platformer, people paid for.

I don't know if this makes sence, but here you go.

Edited by Thor-S-Jensen

I hadn't played the sly games before but really enjoyed the first game, excellent platformer, looked forward to the second game but there was such a change with navigating in the game i didn't enjoy it as much, found it more tedious to play, camera was more sturdy in the first game.

As for difficulty the first game was a cake walk compared to the second game and definitely the third due to having to 100% the game... some of the challenges i left for at least six months due to how annoying they were, that final gauntlet run for the platinum i literally punched the air after i finished it lol

• 4 months later...

First time playing Sly 1 and I very much agree with the random difficulty spikes. The mini games were the first instance; the bosses the second. Perhaps the most infuriating was the final gauntlet run. I had incredible difficulty even getting basic mechanics to work like spire jumps and latching on to the correct pole to climb. Replaying it on another account, I breezed through the game (partly because I knew what to expect, partly because I had Sly experience). Nonetheless, 2/10 is a generous difficulty rating for first-time players, which I presume a majority of gamers have previously played this on PS2.

I'll admit, the game had a steep learning curve when I first played it years ago on the PS2. Now, compared to some other games, it is actually easy enough. Yes, it is frustrating at times, but if you practice and learn what works for you, then it becomes easy. I assume the people that say "Git Gud" are either asshats or just don't realize how used they are to playing the game.

• 2 years later...

Here comes one of those weird threads 😅

You're good in Hatsune Miku and find hard the Ruby challenge?

I've played many kiddie games that shows 10+ in the box and I'm like, how is that possible??? This is not one of them.

And as everybody said before, the first one is the easiest of the whole trilogy. Good luck.

Outside of some dumb minigames (hell, even I have trouble with some of 'em to this day) Sly 1 is pretty basic and essentially a much easier Crash Bandicoot (namely Warped, as someone had already pointed out previously) with added light stealth elements. The trophy list also doesn't require any of the master thief sprints/time trials to be even so much as attempted, so overall there's nothing too particularly difficult about this game both in of itself and when it comes to hunting for its trophies.

All that said, difficulty and skill are ultimately and obviously a largely subjective thing, and even being good at something that's considered hard doesn't necessarily mean that one will be good at something generally agreed upon as being easy.

Edited by Zephrese

I had numerous issues with the rhythm section of the Mz Ruby boss battle, but chalked that up to potential internet/PS+ stream lag. I think I ran through that boss fight 10-15 times before I finally got the input to work (always happened in the third phase on the flying bug).

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't even realize that the Mz Ruby section was rhythm.. very desynced on my playthrough. Took a good few attempts go get through it. Played on PS3 in Sly Collection. I never played the Sly games as a kid, despite being active on the PS2. Sad, really. What a fun game. I would not call it challenging, punishing is a better word. Mistakes are punished! But practice makes perfect.