SIE will be removing Cyberpunk 2077 from PS Store

FreneticWave

18 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

That's speculation. Cant really say Sony and Microsoft knew, or it's possible they were promised a day 1 patch that would iron out the issues.  I doubt either of them would knowingly allow a game this big to have a fail this bad - it gives them negative PR too.  Perhaps with that many pre-orders, they should've been more on it?

I think they have more direct control & communication with their first-party studios to the point they wouldn't get released in this sorry of a state.  And yes, I'd bet if a first party studio failed launch created this big of an uproar, youd be seeing the same refund offer.  Nobody wants this kind of headache.

It was all about the money as usual. They wanted their third of the loot. Promises or no promises or whatever it's truly impossible they did not have seen this mess. If they didn't it's even more bloody dumb and incompetent as all third party games must go to quality assurance of either company before launch. If it was the case of being promised a patch would solve, they jumped on it too (had they only seen the PC version too ?...). Only someone really naive or dumb believes that a project this complex can be fixed in a few days or even a few months. If they can or will make it work properly in a year it's awesome work. Whatever the case neither Sony or Microsoft are saints on this mess.

The schedule also enabled MS and Sony to still have all the money on their side, as this would be much more troublesome if they had already given CDPR their share of the loot.

DriveClub was a absolute mess at launch, did they offer refunds? Or on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale? Not as hyped and expected as Cyberpunk, their luck.

15 hours ago, Sicho said:

Playing the devil's advocate here but I think the date is simply because they sent most of their staff on Christmas holidays, as they definitely deserve a break after months of crunch. I don't think there is any other ulterior motive behind the date.
Generally, lots of companies pretty much close up shop for the last two weeks of the year.
That's also why they said they would put out one of two updates now and then the next one would not come until January.
I can't imagine that they would be prepared to receive the backlash it woudl cause when they would force their employees to forgo their end of the year holidays...

This is not about Christmas holidays or not, yes everyone is entitled to them, specially these guys. The logic would be to give a month or even more for the refunds. One week was what surely led to Sony and Microsoft way of solving things. That's why I said they threw themselves under a bigger bus. You don't put a extremely limited schedule to solve a huge mess, you want to give enough time for most people to get out of it so that you can try to moderately save face.

Edited by cris3f
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cris3f said:

It was all about the money as usual. They wanted their third of the loot. Promises or no promises or whatever it's truly impossible they did not have seen this mess. If they didn't it's even more bloody dumb and incompetent as all third party games must go to quality assurance of either company before launch. If it was the case of being promised a patch would solve, they jumped on it too (had they only seen the PC version too 1f602.png...). Only someone really naive or dumb believes that a project this complex can be fixed in a few days or even a few months. If they can or will make it work properly in a year it's awesome work. Whatever the case neither Sony or Microsoft are saints on this mess.

The schedule also enabled MS and Sony to still have all the money on their side, as this would be much more troublesome if they had already given CDPR their share of the loot.

DriveClub was a absolute mess at launch, did they offer refunds? Or on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale? Not as hyped and expected as Cyberpunk, their luck.

Allow me to rephrase:

While we can only speculate, I agree - Sony and MS should have known if they didnt.  A game this hyped should have had them in a better quality control position.  If they did know, and let it go, shame on them.  To be honest though, it's hard for me to put any logic to that thought process because it's such a dick thing to purposely do. 

I would foolishly like to think better of these companies out of pure decency.

I cant speak on drive club or playstation all-stars, didnt pay much attention to them.

On 12/18/2020 at 0:52 PM, Crispy_Oglop said:

I'm wondering if the next thing we see is some kind of whistleblowing scenario around the working conditions of CDPR while everything has been in development. Similar to what we saw with stuff like Riot games and Bioware etc.

Back on topic though - I think the reason this is happening because one or more people in the CDPR executive team thought that:

1. It was a good idea to have a unified release date across two console generations and the PC
  2. It was a good idea to release the game on the PS4/Xbox One at all.

Thinking about it, this game should never have been a PS4 title. This whole thing would have gone down way way better if they released it on PC only for the 2020 holiday season and then the current gen consoles later in February or March.

I don't think this is happening because of the way the fans have reacted or might react, I can't really think of any examples where a giant company pushed a game out early because of a few mentally deranged manbabies who issued death threats to people. Also, death threats sadly happen quite frequently. There is this small yet vocal group of internet functional smooth-brains that seem to exist in the gaming space who are angry enough to feel it's okay to threaten the life of another human being.

U know what, i read an article a few wks ago from a former CD Project employee who said the game was in bad shape on consoles n he had no idea how they were gonna get it optimized in time for release. This was in november...if i can find the article i will update this post with the link.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/10/cyberpunk-2077-ps5-xbox-crunch-culture-former-dev/

This isn't the article I was talking about. The guy specifically stated how bad the game ran on consoles. This article is a good read non the less n highlights 1 of the many red ? that were there b4 release. Most ppl chose to ignore them but they were there.

Edited by MsVelvet

On 12/18/2020 at 1:04 AM, Sinthoras_96 said:

Didn't expect so many people in this community to be so braindead. 

Do you guys really not understand the difference between Cyberpunk and any other given game that runs like shit? 

The reason why Sony is doing this is because CD Project Red promised everyone and their grandma to get a refund for the game although there is no actual refund option on the PSN. 

So now thousands of people are expecting refunds from Sony although they normally don't do refunds because some third party company promised it their customers. 

This is probably the best option. Simply pulling the trigger on it. Everyone gets a refund and that's it. 

So please stop asking why you didn't get a refund for Orc Slayer, XIII Remake or whatever game. 

This is the same crowd that was bitching at Neil Druckmann for how The Last of Us Part II turned out in terms of story and character development. Somebody came out and leaked footage and then every other assclown on social media freaked out over it. It got so bad that Naughty Dog themselves felt it was necessary to outright remove YouTube videos that had people bitching about the game.

You ask these people today, they will have completely forgotten about the incident. Completely slipped their minds. Now every other person praises The Last of Us Part II.

I'll bet you money that a few months from now, all these people bitching and asking for refunds on Cyberpunk 2077 will have completely forgotten about the hiccups the game got at launch and then proclaim it is one of the greatest games mankind has ever given us.

The modern gaming culture and the preorder culture today are a joke. Unlike a lot of people, I actually wait for newly released games to be more 'complete', especially AAA productions. Nowadays, AAA games are more expensive than ever. Thousands of people involved with the game production along with endless work involved with marketing.

So for anyone turned off by the news regarding Cyberpunk 2077, let the storm pass and buy it when the hiccups are gone.

We're at the point where every self entitled gamer is able to make a bitching post on YouTube or Reddit regarding said AAA game because they expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter with all the fat and trimmings included.

People are sheep. Easily mislead, very naive, easily fooled and tricked into giving money and putting trust into a company that couldn't give a shit less what the vocal minority thinks.

On 12/18/2020 at 4:26 PM, Stan Lee said:

Morons on Twitter are actually calling this an anti-consumer move. Look, I know a lot of people literally only just learned the terms "pro-consumer" and "anti-consumer" late last generation because a bunch of YouTubers have been parroting them about, but regarding giving the option to hand over money for a demonstrably broken piece of shit "pro-consumer" is just a leap in logic I cannot fathom.

Of course. These are the same morons who were issuing threats to the people who 'remade' Peter Parker in Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered on the PS5 because he looks like a teenaged kid.

I've known "pro-consumer" and "anti-consumer" since the time Mass Effect 3 came out and everybody bitched about the ending being horrible.

Sadly, we live in an age where everybody and their grandma can easily jump on Reddit or Twitter, make a few death threats towards the developers and possibly others, then jump off just as quickly as they jumped on. It is absolutely sickening how trigger sensitive and 'snowflake' people are getting.

So many people feel they need to be SJW and feel they need a justified answer from the developers on why games like Cyberpunk 2077 have had issues at launch. I remember when a lot of gaming developers had active Twitter accounts, you could interact with them and they would respond accordingly. Now a lot of them hardly ever go to Twitter, and it's easy to see why.

On 12/18/2020 at 6:33 AM, DaivRules said:

Or the developer asked to remove the game from the store and issue refunds while they work on improving the game for Sony's platform.

Why do so many people not go for the most simple answer and make everything as dramatic as possible? Sony and CD Projekt Red aren't children hitting each other on the playground. They're run by adults who can control their emotions. Some of those adults made really poor decisions and now have to do what adults do: figure out the best way to rectify the mistake.

Yes that's true, but I feel that society has a whole still hasn't been able to handle social media all too well. But it's always the vocal minority that stands out. For every person who has made a complaint on this game, there are countless many who are silent.

The internet is a giant wasteland. The current US President still makes daily garbage on Twitter that I would compare to a whiny 12 year old kid who didn't get what he wanted for Christmas.

I don't think things have changed as much as there are far more people accessing the internet now. Making everything as dramatic as possible I think is a result of the times we live in. After all that has happened this year in 2020, it doesn't surprise me one bit to see so many angry people on social media. However, making threats and begging for money for something as insignificant as Cyberpunk 2077 as far as us living our daily lives is so childish and immature it really sickens me.

The real mature adults aren't the ones causing the drama, it's the whiny manchilds out there whom like the current US President, can't handle things going bad and then take out their anger on others. I'm sure CD Projekt Red put in a tremendous amount of hard work on Cyberpunk 2077 and after looking at the game on Twitch.tv, it looks awesome. But this attitude doesn't solve anything.

Let it pass. These people will forget about this drama just as fast as they forgot about The Last of Us Part II having that leak that got everybody up in arms.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

I have the PC version from GOG, and today GOG Galaxy downloaded the 1.06 hotfix. On the PC it works pretty darn good. The 1.06 patch also came to PS4/X1, and CDPR said this update gives console versions better memory management and greater stability. Surely this will improve on PS4, and I think the PS5-specific update will be amazing.

CDPR was good about giving post-launch updates on Witcher 3. That will probably happen again with Cyberpunk.

For future CDPR games, it may be better if PC is the lead platform and the console versions come later.

Rosen Law Firm has filed a class action lawsuit against CD Projekt

Rosen Law Firm, a global investor rights law firm, announced that it has filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of purchasers of the securities of CD Projekt between January 16th, 2020 and December 17th, 2020, inclusive. The lawsuit seeks to recover damages for CD Projekt investors under the federal securities laws.

According to the lawsuit, defendants throughout the Class Period made false and/or misleading statements and/or failed to disclose that:

• Cyberpunk 2077 was virtually unplayable on the current-generation Xbox or Playstation systems due to an enormous number of bugs
  • As a result, Sony would remove Cyberpunk 2077 from the Playstation store. Also, Sony, Microsoft and CD Projekt would be forced to offer full refunds for the game
  • Consequently, CD Projekt would suffer reputational and pecuniary harm
  • As a result, defendants’ statements about its business, operations, and prospects, were materially false and misleading and/or lacked a reasonable basis at all relevant times.

When the true details entered the market, the lawsuit claims that investors suffered damages.

It’s also worth noting that Wolf Haldenstein Adler Freeman & Herz LLP are also investigating a potential securities class action lawsuit against CD Projekt.

In short, things are about to get ugly. CD Projekt has basically shot itself in the foot by preventing reviewers from covering the old-gen console versions. I can guarantee you that this is exactly why this whole thing is happening. It’s all about the fact that CD Projekt has misled people. And no, this isn’t about the game’s actual performance. I mean, we’ve seen games running worse in PS3 and Xbox 360. Hell, GTA5 ran similar or worse than Cyberpunk 2077. So yeah, Cyberpunk 2077 wasn’t unplayable on PS4 or Xbox One. Not only that, but Bethesda’s games had the same number of bugs as CP2077 has.

Lastly, Opencritic has put up a PSA, warning people about disparity of performance between platforms.

It will be interesting to see how CD Projekt will respond to this. The team announced yesterday that the game has sold 13 million copies worldwide.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/rosen-law-firm-has-filed-a-class-action-lawsuit-against-cd-projekt/

Par for the course when “investors” don’t get the returns they wanted after a product release. These types of lawsuits rarely end up going through the court process and generally get dropped or settled, but get big notoriety for the law firm(s) that files them. 

Keep in mind, this lawsuit does not represent gamers, this is only shareholders. 

That being said, if you have access to the polish stock market, this would be a great time to pick up stock in CDPR. 

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Par for the course when “investors” don’t get the returns they wanted after a product release. These types of lawsuits rarely end up going through the court process and generally get dropped or settled, but get big notoriety for the law firm(s) that files them. 

It's not exactly that cut and dry.  It's more than just "released and didnt meet expectations".  CDPR did in fact purposely mislead their investors and (console) player base by withholding console reviews.  Regardless of their reasons, the resulting backlash caused by their actions lead to a massive drop in stock value.

They probably will try to settle though, just to have one less headache on their plate

Edited by AJ_-_808

1 hour ago, AJ_-_808 said:

It's not exactly that cut and dry.  It's more than just "released and didnt meet expectations".  CDPR did in fact purposely mislead their investors and (console) player base by withholding console reviews.  Regardless of their reasons, the resulting backlash caused by their actions lead to a massive drop in stock value.

They probably will try to settle though, just to have one less headache on their plate

Really, it is that cut and dry. The lawyers will have to make the case why their expectations were in line with what they believe the company led them to believe, and then they need to make the case about why the company’s actions contradicted what whatever the investors make the case they were led to believe. 

The reason a lot of these cases settle is stock price changes can change for anything under the sun and rarely has a law firm been able to prove the the exact amount suffered is directly measurable to a specific action a company makes. Many companies have the price of new products baked into the price months before a release and on release prices drop due to profit taking.

Regardless, this company isn’t going under and will be around for more releases. Picking up their stock now while it’s suppressed and while they work to improve Cyberpunk and still release a PS5 version will lead to pretty significant returns over the next year. 

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Really, it is that cut and dry. The lawyers will have to make the case why their expectations were in line with what they believe the company led them to believe, and then they need to make the case about why the company’s actions contradicted what whatever the investors make the case they were led to believe. 

Well yeah, I meant it should be a simple enough case for the investors, but it's not just that the investors didnt get back as much back as they wanted, but more about the vital information withheld by cdpr.

Anyways, are you confident they wont go under? Not sure if they have anything else in the pipeline or if they can rely on the new gen cyberpunk releases to try to recover from this mess.  At the very least, I think theyd have to downsize

52 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Anyways, are you confident they wont go under? Not sure if they have anything else in the pipeline or if they can rely on the new gen cyberpunk releases to try to recover from this mess.  At the very least, I think theyd have to downsize

I'm extremely confident they won't go under. They have enough existing revenue according to earnings reports for their IP outside Cyberpunk. The majority holders of the stock are the owners of the company, they suffered more "loss" than outside investors.

And I'm sure as soon as Cyberpunk went gold there was some downsizing that already happened, as is the case with most larger game developers. I don't think they run a very bloated ship from what I can tell. I think their focus is on patching existing releases to fix bugs on PC and make console versions more playable while refining their PS5 version. Once they've got a PS5 version released, the PS4 version should be relisted and they'll rebound. They took a sales loss with the PS4 refunds and delisting that they won't get back, but they'll make sure the PS5 version is solid and they'll see another sales bump from that.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:21 PM, DaivRules said:

Keep in mind, this lawsuit does not represent gamers, this is only shareholders. 

That being said, if you have access to the polish stock market, this would be a great time to pick up stock in CDPR. 

Well stock investors(what those people are) could have received a hefty return on their stock investment depending on the price that they bought and sold the stocks.

The current is a really low but isn't the lowest it has been this year. 

It isn't like these stock investors would get money from the sale of the game itself. However, they are looking to jeopardize the stock prices and their dividends(profit sharing from all revenue streams) over 1 single product. 

Sounds more like the lawyers are looking for publicity. I mean, I've seen shares and diviends for companies like Ford grow and shrink to almost nothing year after year.  Of all the consumer lead class action lawsuits(many from products that kill people and not just crash a PC or console multiple times) that company has had I can't find any investor looking to further drag down stock prices for "poor" performance or lost interest.  

Gaming news media sucks. So I guess gaming law and investment will be following that too.

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 1

Late to the party, but as an FYI, I would guess that most investors weren’t planning on selling CDPR stock on the heels of what was supposed to be their great triumph.

It’s December, and like every other investor holding stocks in consumer products, I am awaiting tasty dividend payments that will hit in the next 3-4 days. If CDPR misrepresented their position to investors in order to make them believe they would receive such a dividend payment, that is absolutely a legal issue.

And for people who are considering buying their stock, I would exercise caution. Remember that this is a company that saw its stock price plummet on the heels of one of the most anticipated releases of all time. 

• Like 1

On 25.12.2020 at 4:25 AM, AJ_-_808 said:

well, they sold 13 million units... that's with the refunds already factored in. The pre-orders alone were 8 million an apparently that was enough to break even. They then sold another 5 million units. So they are in a good position. Most problems are on last gen consoles... but according to them, almost 60% of all their sales were on PC. So the game is still a success, despite everything that happened.

Also, you probably know that they are the people behind gog.com? The revenue stream from GOG alone is quite big.
In 2019, CD Project had a revenue of 142 Million USD, with a net income of around 47 million.

1 hour ago, Sicho said:

well, they sold 13 million units... that's with the refunds already factored in. The pre-orders alone were 8 million an apparently that was enough to break even. They then sold another 5 million units. So they are in a good position. Most problems are on last gen consoles... but according to them, almost 60% of all their sales were on PC. So the game is still a success, despite everything that happened.

Also, you probably know that they are the people behind gog.com? The revenue stream from GOG alone is quite big.
In 2019, CD Project had a revenue of 142 Million USD, with a net income of around 47 million.

Maybe not go under entirely, but this was undeniably a big hit to their reputation among console gamers, the 2nd in recent history.  If they can even recover the damage to their reputation (look how quickly they went from highly praised to this), they may perhaps rethink developing for consoles or how they approach developing for consoles going forward.  

It doesn't matter how big or successful the company is, it only takes a couple of bad decisions to begin their downfall (even if that takes years). Time will tell I suppose.

On 12/26/2020 at 5:12 PM, starcrunch061 said:

Late to the party, but as an FYI, I would guess that most investors weren’t planning on selling CDPR stock on the heels of what was supposed to be their great triumph.

It’s December, and like every other investor holding stocks in consumer products, I am awaiting tasty dividend payments that will hit in the next 3-4 days. If CDPR misrepresented their position to investors in order to make them believe they would receive such a dividend payment, that is absolutely a legal issue.

And for people who are considering buying their stock, I would exercise caution. Remember that this is a company that saw its stock price plummet on the heels of one of the most anticipated releases of all time. 

Most investors weren't planning on selling their CDPR stock? If you're in the stock market and aren't planning or setting limits on when to sell or when to buy more stocks then you're doing it wrong. 

CDPR does yearly dividends payouts, yes? These payouts are primarily from the profits they earn from GOG and not the games they make. If the problem is the expected profit sharing then who cares about the stock price? Dividends are paid on number of stock own not the market price of the stock. The latter is a more of a concern of the investors that buy/sell stock more than waiting for dividend payouts. 

The way you people complain and the way the lawsuit is worded comes across as these special investors wanted guaranteed high stock prices and high dividend payouts. They didn't even give the latter a chance to happen. They could have sold when the stocks were around 30 bucks AND when the extra delay and concerns started.