Why Killzone Shadow Fall is almost 40GB (it used to be 290GB...)

xVolloxx

Why Killzone Shadow Fall is almost 40GB (it used to be 290GB...)

At an event at Guerrilla's Amsterdam offices this week, the developer confirmed that the final version of PlayStation 4 launch title Killzone Shadow Fall clocks in at 39.7GB (in Europe, anyway: some localised versions of the game, needing fewer audio tracks in different languages, are closer to 37GB). Using Sony's PlayGo system, which allows a game to be played while it's still streaming data off the servers, Shadow Fall will be playable after a 7.5GB download.

There's been some consternation about the file size of next-gen games since Sony's UK boss told Eurogamer that Killzone was "cracking on for 50GB" and Nividia suggested that the PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts required 50GB of hard drive space. (Infinity Ward has now reduced that to 40GB.) With the new consoles moving towards digital delivery andservers struggling to distribute titles like GTA5, how would our poor internets and hard drives cope with all that data? And why is Killzone so big in the first place?

Read on here : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-24-why-killzone-shadow-fall-is-almost-40gb-it-used-to-be-290

Edited by TheBolloxx
  • Like 1

Times are changing... We used to have 8-bit games and now look where we are! All of those GBs....

You do know Bits and Bytes are 2 different things right?

No loading screens sounds good to me. I get anoid with long loading screen.

annoyed * Aside from Naughty Dogs games I can't really think of a game this console gen with long loading screens :|

Pop in disc and you are at the start menu right away? That is cool. I hope that trend continues.

This " trend " isn't anything new.....

And yet we've got to settle for 500gb launch configurations  :rolleyes:

I think you're on to something :rolleyes:

funny how i thought the ps4 games will use 50 or 70GB since there's these 120GB or something bluray discs that never been used yet, in ps3 some games took around 40,8 or 40,1GB and Uncharted series didn't have loading screens at all once it fully loaded, ps3 is really more advanced for a 7th generation console and now the ps4 will be even more than that for an 8th gen.  

Yep, so I think this just confirms that I should install a 1TB HDD in my PS4 before I even boot the sucker up. I'll also be buying physical copies for all games that offer them but I imagine even then they'll have fairly large install data. 

Parker

• Like 1

funny how i thought the ps4 games will use 50 or 70GB since there's these 120GB or something bluray discs that never been used yet, in ps3 some games took around 40,8 or 40,1GB and Uncharted series didn't have loading screens at all once it fully loaded, ps3 is really more advanced for a 7th generation console and now the ps4 will be even more than that for an 8th gen.  

Size of those PS3 games that were near 50GB were like that because of:

- low compression of video and audio assets, that were left like that because there was space,

- redundant data to lower seek time on disc - also, because there was space.

If Uncharted 3 was made like a multiplatform game, it wouldn't take more than 10GB, would probably fit on 1 DVD.

This " trend " isn't anything new.....

I don't think you fully get what they mean by nothing - they mean nothing AT ALL. No developer logo, no epilepsy info, no splash screens, no THX, nothing. You pretty much start game and are loaded straight into it. There were never any game in history, that would do that, as far as I'm aware.

annoyed * Aside from Naughty Dogs games I can't really think of a game this console gen with long loading screens :|

Are you kidding? There were hardly any games in last 2 years that had acceptable loading times = ~10 seconds tops. 30sec+ loading is not acceptable, it's bullshit. I won't even say anything about initial loading of GTAV. Wow. I had to check something in-game quickly some 2 days ago and I was just sitting there, instead of leaving and doing something else in the meantime. Nothing to measure it with at the time, but I swear it took it like 3-5 minutes to load straight into multiplayer. Using quicksave is not that bad, but still - it's somewhere in the range of 30-90 seconds, which is waaay more, than should be acceptable.

Loadings are one of the reasons Diablo III made such a huge impression on me on PS3, especially after playing GTA - I think something like 10 seconds is longest this game ever load anything. And usually is no more than 5. That is THE SHIT. No wait. You enter dungeon and start hacking and slashing straight away. Makes such a huge difference in how you feel the game.

• Like 1

Size of those PS3 games that were near 50GB were like that because of:

- low compression of video and audio assets, that were left like that because there was space,

- redundant data to lower seek time on disc - also, because there was space.

If Uncharted 3 was made like a multiplatform game, it wouldn't take more than 10GB, would probably fit on 1 DVD.

i think Uncharted 3 might fit in to one DVD if.

1- putt all in-game cut scene as a video file and compress it.

2- cut the game in half ( story mode on disc / multiplayer as a stand alone downloadable ) since the multiplayer alone is a 6GB size.

3- i don't know if this might had an actual effect but slightly lowering the polygon counts to 95 or 90%.

4- downgrade or remove the DTS and dolby digital or compress the the audios and remove the stereoscopic 3D features.

5- the game already required at least 1GB installing so i think it might takes more extra installing data, also allow the game to had some loading times from screen to another.

though not really sure about this, i am not really that good when it comes to these technicals stuff but i think this'll do.

You're forgetting that internet speeds have improved since then.  It could take a couple minutes to load 32KB on a modem from that era.  That's what I was saying in my last post, file sizes, hard drive sizes, and internet speeds tend to advance in tandem.

Think of it this way.  When the PS3 launched there were 2 models, one with 40GB and one with 60GB.  I just checked the earliest PS3 shooter I own, and Haze takes up 5GB of space.  So going from a 50GB (on average) hard drive with a 5GB file size to a 500GB hard drive with a 50GB file size is fine with me.  I don't know how big of a file the downloadable version of Haze is, if there is one at all.

File sizes will continuously grow in the future.  I don't know how old everyone is here but I've had an internet connection since the 90's.  This is perfectly normal, I promise!