For context, I know almost nothing about the Lord of the Rings universe, though I have nothing against it.

I got the Repaid in Blood trophies in both versions of the game at the last minute (I even did the vanilla version the day after the servers were supposed to close), but I haven't quite got the hang of this game. I hear this game is very good, though it didn't stick with me in the first hour. I have other games to work on for now, but I'd like to ask: Should I come back to this game at some point? I'm not going to judge this game since I only spent an hour on it and I was rushing through the story to get the Vendetta trophies. I'm assuming this game gets better as it progresses like most games do.

By the way, I'm asking about the PS4 versions. I have no interest in the PS3 version.

Rush through to the second area, the gameplay opens up once you can turn ulrics or w/e into your allies. Let’s you tackle forts in different ways and helps avoid being overrun. More upgrades help too. The pacing kind of sucks in the game. It didn’t fully click until I had done the first area 100% (which was tedious) and then a few missions into the second area. Had I known it got better with story related upgrades I would have done those first instead of spending all that time on the first area. 

the plat can be a bit tedious by the end of it, but overall the game is fun but not without its problems. 

• Like 1

Never wanted to play it so bad, when i heard servers was going down i just pop for 3 hours to get vendettas and leave it. Later heard dlc trophies might be affected, so after few weeks decided im diving in. At the begining its hard to get used to it character start running slowly so you need to avoid mashing x becouse youll fell like running in a bog. Combat is assasin creed stylish and later on very enjoyable, "parkour stuff" really janky so theres might be wall you might think im gonna climb easly but game wont let you. But when you get used to it and level up a bit for me it was a blast especially after skill that let you do execution after 5hit combo instead of 8hit. And even later you`re butcher. Story is legit Lord of the Rings nothing lazy. Glad servers going down without it wouldnt start it and miss a great game. And trials are brutal and fun. 

I got platinum just yesterday. I'm a fan of RPGs, and after I saw that plat will become unobtainable I interrupted my Dark Souls 2 playthrough to play this game.

I feel a bit deceived, because at best it has some RPG elements.

I would say it's an OK game for when you want some button mashing relaxation. Story is not too bad once you get into it. Ratbag character gave me a few chuckles. Gameplay gets repetitive after a while, and I found it similar to many other games - Far Cry series comes to mind first. You unlock some tower, pick collectibles in the area, do side-quests (there's like 5 different ones that come up endlessly).

Gameplay-wise, the only element I haven't seen before and found interesting is Nemesis system. But mind you, I haven't played many games, so I don't know how original this game mechanics really is.

Like you, I'm not LoTR fan, and I feel I wouldn't have missed much if I never played this game.

It's actually a pretty fun game. It's a much more chilled out batman arkham game. I'm not a fan of LOTR but the story is a very simple good vs evil plot so it's easy to follow. Also the game has a lore section where it explains bits and pieces of the universe. Had it not been for the server shutdown I wouldn't have picked this game up but now I'm glad I did. I'm looking forward to buying Shadow of War once I clean up my backlog a bit.

On 1/1/2021 at 10:15 PM, ElevExplorer64 said:

For context, I know almost nothing about the Lord of the Rings universe, though I have nothing against it.

I got the Repaid in Blood trophies in both versions of the game at the last minute (I even did the vanilla version the day after the servers were supposed to close), but I haven't quite got the hang of this game. I hear this game is very good, though it didn't stick with me in the first hour. I have other games to work on for now, but I'd like to ask: Should I come back to this game at some point? I'm not going to judge this game since I only spent an hour on it and I was rushing through the story to get the Vendetta trophies. I'm assuming this game gets better as it progresses like most games do.

By the way, I'm asking about the PS4 versions. I have no interest in the PS3 version.

I also have no knowledge or active interest in LOTR whatsoever (movies, books, entire middle-agey fantasy settings i.e. Dragon Age, Skyrim...)

Friend that's a fan recommended it to me as a 'good game' regardless of the setting and he was right.

It's a fun romp, good combat, the story is ok and overall a pleasant experience to 100% and platinum. Stick to it a little longer and it gets much more fun and open once you level up a bit and can play with the nemesis mechanics. It's more Mad Max well done, fun open world game to me than say any recent grey-ish Ubisoft open world like AC, WD or others such as Just Cause 4.

• Like 1

Bought it 5 years ago. Struggled getting into it. Thought it was pretty hard but then thought i would try it again (few weeks before i heard of the server shutdown) and plated it, loved it and bought the dlcs.

This game does things different from other games which is a refreshing change. 

The warchief and captain chants are brilliant. 

The graphics are showing its age now but really fun gameplay

I didn't like it. I know some stuff about TLOR but I mostly wanted to play it because I've heard good things and the combat looked fun.

In the end that part was okay, but my biggest disappointment came from the nemesis system. If you don't die the whole system doesn't matter. I was about 3/4 done with the game when I realized I haven't seen said system, only to realize it was the screen with the captains and warchiefs.

The ending left such a bad taste that I couldn't even bring myself to 100% it. I got the platinum and dipped out.

I remember really liking this game when it came out.  Haven't played since, so I'm not sure how well it's aged.

The combat was fun. It felt like a mix of Assassin's Creed and Arkham games.  I don't know much about LOTR outside of the three main movies, but found the story pretty easy to follow.  Not super great, but not bad either.  Typical action/RPG game type story.

There were two DLC trophies that were really annoying and I still haven't gone back to get.  I remember not liking either of the DLCs at all really.  Plus the last boss of the game is such a let down.  Other than that I think it's a solid 7 or 8/10.

I hate it! It's one of those games that I really wish I hadn't started as I now feel compelled to come back to it to finish it but honestly, the thought of playing it again makes me feel a bit sick. I just find it incredibly stressful to play! The constant flooding with dozens of enemies - it just feels tense and stressful! I hated the Batman games too and this is very similar. If there was some sort of crowd control to give yourself some breathing space, it might be OK but....yes, as I said...Stressful!

• Like 1

I was excited to finally start this game but I have to say I’m disappointed. It’s been a slog to get to the point where I feel like I’m finally powerful enough to do real damage (5 missions from the end). They picked probably the worst location you can for a LOTR game (who wants to run around in dull, drab Mordor for hours?) and the story is meh at best. The shadow realm is poorly executed, can’t see more than 5 ft in front of you. Overall, it’s a pretty ugly game, even for 2014. Blocky and muddy come to mind when I think about this game. It’s not a terrible game, but not great either and the LOTR license feels wasted to me. I don’t how this got GOTY recognition, 2014 must have been a weak year for games. That being said, I will likely play it until I plat it, but will probably skip the DLC and shadow of war.