Is Sony giving up on Japan?

Sendai-Horatio

12 hours ago, Nelson_Otaku said:

Sad times we live in, hope Karma does show a thing to Jim Ryan.

I guess Jim would also call GOG a bunch of morons for re-releasing "Good Old Games" on the PC. GOG has enjoyed success selling those alongside the newer releases. News flash Jim... there's room for more than the latest triple A titles.

Is Jim trying to turn Sony into another Sega? I don't want the PS5 to become Sony's Dreamcast. Dreamcast was a wonderful system, but was Sega known for the greatest marketing decisions? Surely not. PS2 may have been more powerful, but it didn't kill Dreamcast. Nintendo has survived in certain generations with weaker hardware (take original Wii vs PS3/360, Switch vs. PS4/X1). Nintendo is definitely doing things right.

I wish Sony and Nintendo didn't break up their original partnership. They'd probably have been a great team.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

I guess Jim would also call GOG a bunch of morons for re-releasing "Good Old Games" on the PC. GOG has enjoyed success selling those alongside the newer releases. News flash Jim... there's room for more than the latest triple A titles.

That would take a special level of idiocy considering that backwards compatibility is the most requested feature every gen and has been the case since before the Playstation even existed.  Older games may not sell millions, but they definitely are a stable stream of income.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

That would take a special level of idiocy considering that backwards compatibility is the most requested feature every gen and has been the case since before the Playstation even existed.  Older games may not sell millions, but they definitely are a stable stream of income.

True. Sony needs to get that clown out of there. Fire him! If I could play Ridge Racer 7 on PS5, I definitely would. It'd be nice to have PS3 games with options to raise rendering resolution. On PC quite a lot of these older games still look good, especially when you're running them at 1440p or higher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

True. Sony needs to get that clown out of there. Fire him! If I could play Ridge Racer 7 on PS5, I definitely would. It'd be nice to have PS3 games with options to raise rendering resolution. On PC quite a lot of these older games still look good, especially when you're running them at 1440p or higher.

I doubt they will fire Jim Ryan, just saying.

18 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Is Jim trying to turn Sony into another Sega? I don't want the PS5 to become Sony's Dreamcast. Dreamcast was a wonderful system, but was Sega known for the greatest marketing decisions? Surely not. PS2 may have been more powerful, but it didn't kill Dreamcast. Nintendo has survived in certain generations with weaker hardware (take original Wii vs PS3/360, Switch vs. PS4/X1). Nintendo is definitely doing things right.

I wish Sony and Nintendo didn't break up their original partnership. They'd probably have been a great team.

The people behind the Sega Dreamcast who mishandled it was the nail in the coffin. I think Yakuza is the only relevant franchise Sega has going for it. I've heard nothing but mixed feelings and opinions on Sonic the Hedgehog, but in all honesty he was the best competitor against Mario.

Shemnue which premiered on Dreamcast is readily available, and for a cheap price too so I'll definitely check those games out in the future.

My only real criticism for Nintendo right now is there is no achievement system, but I would argue that would break the immersion and atmosphere of the games. Legend of Zelda has been going strong for 30 - 35 years, and I've heard much positive acclaim from the latest title on the Switch.

Sad to see Sony being mostly 'western centric' now.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Sad indeed. If I wanted a western centric system, I'd be planning on going with the Xbox Series X instead of PS5. I like a balanced mix of Japanese and western titles. SIE moving its PS HQ to the USA is a grave mistake. Jim Ryan is attempting to say Sony still cares about Japan, but their actions don't prove it. Sony's turning their back on Japan is likely to bite them in the butt over the next few years.

Atari Flashback series shows how great Atari was before they went under. They did a lot despite the limited graphics power of older systems, especially their arcade games. Atari Flashback Vol 2's Major Havoc is an earlier game that Mark Cerny helped with, and my favorite in the compilation. Even with greatness like this, Atari still failed later thanks to bad decisions they made.

I think Sony are getting a little smug... they better wake up soon, or Nintendo could start snatching people away from them. What if the PS5 tanks and Sony then decides to kill the PlayStation brand after this generation? It would be Sony's own fault of course. I'm against censorship... people should just skip games that offend them. Let the customer decide. Don't make everything family friendly. John Kodera started this BS. Now Jim Ryan continues it, and add to that his asinine stance on backward compatibility. I'd rather have Mark Cerny or Shuhei Yoshida as president/CEO of SIE.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Sad indeed. If I wanted a western centric system, I'd be planning on going with the Xbox Series X instead of PS5. I like a balanced mix of Japanese and western titles. SIE moving its PS HQ to the USA is a grave mistake. Jim Ryan is attempting to say Sony still cares about Japan, but their actions don't prove it. Sony's turning their back on Japan is likely to bite them in the butt over the next few years.

Atari Flashback series shows how great Atari was before they went under. They did a lot despite the limited graphics power of older systems, especially their arcade games. Atari Flashback Vol 2's Major Havoc is an earlier game that Mark Cerny helped with, and my favorite in the compilation. Even with greatness like this, Atari still failed later thanks to bad decisions they made.

I think Sony are getting a little smug... they better wake up soon, or Nintendo could start snatching people away from them. What if the PS5 tanks and Sony then decides to kill the PlayStation brand after this generation? It would be Sony's own fault of course. I'm against censorship... people should just skip games that offend them. Let the customer decide. Don't make everything family friendly. John Kodera started this BS. Now Jim Ryan continues it, and add to that his asinine stance on backward compatibility. I'd rather have Mark Cerny or Shuhei Yoshida as president/CEO of SIE.

The reason my last games on PS4 will be bought only on sale now, so far only have Atelier Ryza 2 and Ys 9 (EU) to wait for cheaper price this year and that's it.

Shovelware since start of late 2020 started being a Sony thing too.

Edited by Nelson_Otaku

On 1/25/2021 at 9:50 PM, RadiantFlamberge said:

I didn't like the Xbox One because of how Microsoft handled the whole thing. They had some great franchises with Halo, Gears of War and a couple others. They're all dead now save for Forza, but I'm not a huge racing fan so that series is rather meh. Phil Spencer basically stated they were focused on online as opposed to story driven single player, but their poor sales all throughout the PS4/Xbox One generation proved many people were fed up with Xbox.

Sony as a whole is still based in Japan when you look beyond the gaming spectrum. I have noticed Sony putting a lot more focus on games with themes that appeal easily to the West. Ghost of Tsushima, a game based in Feudal Japan, is really a western style open world game since it shares many values with other Sony exclusives such as Days Gone.

I was never huge on Japan but I enjoyed the variety. I think with the moves they made in recent years, Sony is becoming more like Microsoft. Xbox never did well in Japan, but putting a focus on mostly western titles while ignoring everything else is a poor move.

On 1/25/2021 at 9:50 PM, RadiantFlamberge said:

I think it's too early to tell regarding the PlayStation 5 console since it's only been two months since its release. There is absolutely nothing exclusive to the PS5 that catches my attention. I guess I have to wait for the new God of War game to see if there is any variety, which I kind of doubt given the direction AAA gaming has been going over the past few years.

Edited by Spaz

This shift of Sony from Japanese support makes me wonder to also shift from PS brand after all the issues with Playstation cause of censoring games to satisfy purists who will never touch those kind of games tbw. Nintendo Switch seems the best choice right now for those who really love japanese games.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 8:35 PM, Spaz said:

The people behind the Sega Dreamcast who mishandled it was the nail in the coffin. I think Yakuza is the only relevant franchise Sega has going for it. I've heard nothing but mixed feelings and opinions on Sonic the Hedgehog, but in all honesty he was the best competitor against Mario.

Shemnue which premiered on Dreamcast is readily available, and for a cheap price too so I'll definitely check those games out in the future.

My only real criticism for Nintendo right now is there is no achievement system, but I would argue that would break the immersion and atmosphere of the games. Legend of Zelda has been going strong for 30 - 35 years, and I've heard much positive acclaim from the latest title on the Switch.

It really started with the boneheaded decision to create addons for the genesis then drop them after only a few months. Couple that with bernie stolar saying that the saturn wasn't the future, it made people not trust sega at all. Sega japan has been mismanaged for decades too

1 minute ago, Sigma999 said:

I have those consoles. 

I thought when you said "makes me wonder to also shift from PS brand" you meant you would sell all your PS consoles and get a Switch instead. But all you're talking about is getting a Switch instead of a PS5 and staying with the PS brand. I think not getting a PS5 right now and going with a Switch is a good choice and you'll still have your PS4 (and other consoles) which I think will still get all the new PS titles for a while.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I thought when you said "makes me wonder to also shift from PS brand" you meant you would sell all your PS consoles and get a Switch instead. But all you're talking about is getting a Switch instead of a PS5 and staying with the PS brand. I think not getting a PS5 right now and going with a Switch is a good choice and you'll still have your PS4 (and other consoles) which I think will still get all the new PS titles for a while.

Yeah, plus, I doubt Sony has given up on Japan. We still have some Japanese games coming out to the PS4 and soon, the PS5. So it's too soon to say that Sony has given up on Japan.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I'm keeping all my consoles , just not gonna get a PS5 and invest on Switch instead. Not gonna drop all my games and systems cause i still like to play on them, just don't approve this new policies of Sony starting this late time of last gen and going on on next-gen so far. Sorry if i didn't explained that well at first. 

8 minutes ago, Alantor32 said:

Yeah, plus, I doubt Sony has given up on Japan. We still have some Japanese games coming out to the PS4 and soon, the PS5. So it's too soon to say that Sony has given up on Japan.

That is PS4 cause the player base in Japan still is big but PS5 is failing miserably in sales even compared to the 2DS on Japan. If the sales don't have a huge boost, the JP devs gonna work with Nintendo almost all the time only ( and Steam too), you can see some JP games too on PS5 even with that situation happening however since Sony is going all Western foward , Playstation is turning into another Xbox , imo.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sigma999 said:

That is PS4 cause the player base in Japan still is big but PS5 is failing miserably in sales even compared to the 2DS on Japan. If the sales don't have a huge boost, the JP devs gonna work with Nintendo almost all the time only ( and Steam too), you can see some JP games too on PS5 even with that situation happening however since Sony is going all Western foward , Playstation is turning into another Xbox , imo.

Actually most Japanese devs want to target the western market since it's far larger and more profitable if Capcom's recent numbers are true. The smaller devs will always follow the bigger devs of the same genre due to them going after the same audience.

So really if the PS5 does well in America that grantees that it's going to have priority for series like Ys, Trails, Tales of, Monster Hunter World, Final Fantasy, Nier, Persona and others.

On 27/01/2021 at 4:27 PM, Sendai-Horatio said:

Actually most Japanese devs want to target the western market since it's far larger and more profitable if Capcom's recent numbers are true. The smaller devs will always follow the bigger devs of the same genre due to them going after the same audience.

So really if the PS5 does well in America that grantees that it's going to have priority for series like Ys, Trails, Tales of, Monster Hunter World, Final Fantasy, Nier, Persona and others.

Those games you mentioned are not niche titles , excluding maybe Ys and Trails i think. The big devs are going to keep making games for PS5 but most likely the small ones can't afford producing or porting their niche games to a console that fails on sales in Japan. Xbox is the best example in pratice for all these years.

Edited by Sigma999

18 hours ago, Spaz said:

I think it's too early to tell regarding the PlayStation 5 console since it's only been two months since its release. There is absolutely nothing exclusive to the PS5 that catches my attention. I guess I have to wait for the new God of War game to see if there is any variety, which I kind of doubt given the direction AAA gaming has been going over the past few years.

Too early indeed... hopefully things change. I'm still wanting a PS5 when one becomes readily obtainable.

I am concerned about developers like Falcom (Ys and Trails). If the PS5 market becomes a problem, maybe Falcom should return to becoming a PC first developer, while continuing to license their games out to teams like NISA and Clouded Leopard for other platforms. In that case, NISA could get Falcom's PC games ported to PS5 and Clouded Leopard (Trails of Cold Steel I & II for Switch) could continue to take care of Nintendo.

18 hours ago, Sigma999 said:

Those games you mentioned are not niche titles , excluding maybe Ys and Trails i think. The big devs are keep making game for PS5 but most likely the small ones can't afford producing or porting their niche games to a console that fails on sales in Japan. Xbox is the best example in pratice for all these years.

You're going to need to define what you consider a nitche title then. Because going by the newly uploaded trophy lists from the last month or so, it seems all the smaller devs are still making games for the playstation and Disgaea 6 showed up.

VNs are still being made by the buttloads

Shmups are still being made

Rhythm games are still being made

You're not getting stuff like Mr. Mosquito or Power Shovel because devs who usually made those games died out when mobile phone games became a thing.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

You're going to need to define what you consider a nitche title then. Because going by the newly uploaded trophy lists from the last month or so, it seems all the smaller devs are still making games for the playstation and Disgaea 6 showed up.

VNs are still being made by the buttloads

Shmups are still being made

Rhythm games are still being made

You're not getting stuff like Mr. Mosquito or Power Shovel because devs who usually made those games died out when mobile phone games became a thing.

Your point is valid if it's for PS4 but for PS5 will it happen ? I'm guessing it will suffer on PS5.