This Game is Underrated

I've noticed this game doesn't get much coverage, and most what little coverage I see is negative. I don't agree with this at all.

I'm almost 40 hours in and it's really good. If you ever played Persona, it's similar (Persona is better though). The action starts right away in this game, which is a welcome change in JRPGs IMO.

The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard in a game. Every dungeon has a song written specifically for the game that relates directly to the boss of that dungeon.

The main story is good. I don't want to say much because of spoilers, but it does a good job keeping you emotionally invested in the plot. It will make you question certain things about life too.

The characters seem very one-dimensional in the beginning, but their individual personalities show as the story progresses and as you learn about them in their character episodes (similar to Persona's social links). Most of them are very likeable.

The only bad thing I can say about the game is the graphics. The main characters look very generic, the NPCs all look the same (with minor variations), and the world lacks detail. You will also see NPCs walking through objects sometimes (it won't effect gameplay though). Graphics are the least important part of a game for me, and even I notice them constantly in this game.

I haven't clicked on any of the hidden trophies, and I don't plan to until I finish my first run of the game. But so far, the trohpies seem really straightforward. There's a walkthrough on Gamefaqs that I've been using, and I've been getting through the game smoothly. There are no difficulty-related trophies, but I would play on hard because the game is too easy on normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MandA60VISE said:

I remember a lot of the hate was the Vita version, which was the only one available for awhile, has (or had) a save deleting bug or something else severe. No clue if it ever got patched but why would you want to play it on Vita instead of an enhanced version on PS4?

I've seen a lot of hate for the PS4 version as well. I haven't experienced any glitches except for what I said about NPCs walking through objects, and it never hindered my gameplay.

I've never played the Vita version so I can't speak for it.

Edited by yuber1234

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/25/2021 at 2:55 PM, MandA60VISE said:

I remember a lot of the hate was the Vita version, which was the only one available for awhile, has (or had) a save deleting bug or something else severe. No clue if it ever got patched but why would you want to play it on Vita instead of an enhanced version on PS4?

I've played the Vita version, it's like a fun and chaotic mess. Getting a platinum there is almost impossible. The PS4 version has tons of improvements, new characters, a new side story, and improved battle system. It's pretty great.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WTrabex said:

I've played the Vita version, it's like a fun and chaotic mess. Getting a platinum there is almost impossible. The PS4 version has tons of improvements, new characters, a new side story, and improved battle system. It's pretty great.

the vita version also has this game breaking bug that has a chance to delete all your saves when saving at a save point lmao but yeah ps4 version is amazing also caligula 2 is legit peak fiction that game was so good 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 24/2/2023 at 7:44 AM, Eraezr said:

Was it this game or some other niche JRPG that got flack on gender/sexuality ideas? It's hard to keep track of the long list of outrages in gaming, up to today's date.

Anyway, game has been announced for PS5

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/02/the-caligula-effect-overdose-coming-to-ps5-in-2023

It may be? There's one character in here that is trans so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the outrageous detail.

Still, I'm looking forward to give it a shot again on ps5. Caligula Effect was one big surprise for me so any chance to replay it will be welcome

On 24/02/2023 at 3:44 AM, Eraezr said:

Was it this game or some other niche JRPG that got flack on gender/sexuality ideas? It's hard to keep track of the long list of outrages in gaming, up to today's date.

Anyway, game has been announced for PS5

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/02/the-caligula-effect-overdose-coming-to-ps5-in-2023

No, it was Monark.

If anybody's reading this, just play the sequel or wait for that to get a ps5 ver. The first one is hella mid

11 hours ago, DesmaBR said:

No, it was Monark.

If anybody's reading this, just play the sequel or wait for that to get a ps5 ver. The first one is hella mid

OK, that makes two JRPGs then. Cuz I remembered hearing about my half-remembered example back in 2017-2018.

I played both the caligula games and loved the second game more, yes there is a trans character in it. Caligula overdose on PS4 has terrible graphics and is basically a vita game blown up on PS4, it performs really badly with the frame rate and character movements etc. It felt really clunky. If they remake it to PS5 that would be good, as the PS4 game had an interesting story and characters imo. 

Monark seems to be on sale now, and it's by the same company Furyu. The only thing is the game dungeons seem like a pain from what the trophy guide describes, although apparent the music is really good. I would really recommend Caligula 2 though .

• 1 month later...

Midway of my NG+ play.

This game does have some very intriguing stories and twists, and touched quite a few sensitive mental issues in a good way.

But game play wise, the dungeon crawling is just too much. I have played my fair share of JRPGs but this mindless mazes make me cringe.

And for OD, the newly added musician branch is a good try but frankly doesn't fit well to the original game.