Death Stranding Director's Cut (September 24, 2021) (PS5)

12 hours ago, StrangeGuy_3000 said:

Surely if an upgrade/remaster of a game you have already played is announced you just ignore it and wait for the company's next release? You aren't forced to buy the new version and its not like your missing much bar perhaps a 4-5 hour dlc. It also means those that haven't got round to playing a game yet can play it with its best possible resolution/framerate. Though overall I do agree with the sentiment that purchasing games day 1 is far inferior to waiting thanks to sales, dlc bundles, patches and potential re-releases. At least in a year or two they'll be done with remastering ps4 games for ps5... I think 1f914.png

I don't care much for PS5 ports when the only upgrades are visual/performance based. But it is disappointing seeing games like this and Ghost of Tsushima getting extra content when I bought the games back at launch. Normally this wouldn't bother me, games get DLC all the time after all, but in the case of Death Stranding (and FF7 Remake), it's locked on PS5.

I don't think games being released on more systems is ever a bad thing, because it allows more people to play those games, but it is a baffling decision when the PS5 can already play these games through backwards compatibility anyway.

12 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Only 4 new PS5 exclusives in 8 months after launch coming out of a pandemic?  It's a travesty.

If only it were like the Switch and came out... *checks watch* ... over 4 years ago.  Maybe it'd have more games.

I actually did some counting and there's already been over 30 PS4 ports to PS5, in less than a year. That's not including online only/focused games or games that released on both PS4 and PS5 at the same time.

Obviously the PS5 is still new and the lack of exclusives is to be expected, that happens with every generation. I think you kind of missed the point either of us made with our posts. The system is already backwards compatible, why does it need all these ports? As previously stated, it's not something that generally bothers me personally, but locking content behind the PS5 version does.

13 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I actually did some counting and there's already been over 30 PS4 ports to PS5, in less than a year. That's not including online only/focused games or games that released on both PS4 and PS5 at the same time.

Obviously the PS5 is still new and the lack of exclusives is to be expected, that happens with every generation. I think you kind of missed the point either of us made with our posts. The system is already backwards compatible, why does it need all these ports? As previously stated, it's not something that generally bothers me personally, but locking content behind the PS5 version does.

There's a certain degree of publishers/developers taking advantage of the new hardware to revitalize even recently released games and make some extra money.  It's cheap, it's easy and it's reasonably effective.  Why shouldn't they?

EDIT: The system being backwards compatible is a reason you don't have to buy it again, not a reason they shouldn't pursue ways to make some money.

Edited by Dreakon13

27 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I don't care much for PS5 ports when the only upgrades are visual/performance based. But it is disappointing seeing games like this and Ghost of Tsushima getting extra content when I bought the games back at launch. Normally this wouldn't bother me, games get DLC all the time after all, but in the case of Death Stranding (and FF7 Remake), it's locked on PS5.

I'm confused. Is the Death Stranding Director's Cut content only coming to PS5?! Didn't appreciate that - think I'm getting myself mixed up between this and Ghost of Tsushima's Director's Cut, as that is getting it on both I believe.

(II haven't gone through the whole thread).

Also I don't realise Intergrade was PS5 only!

Edited by PhantomFear94

16 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

There's a certain degree of publishers/developers taking advantage of the new hardware to revitalize even recently released games and make some extra money.  It's cheap, it's easy and it's reasonably effective.  Why shouldn't they?

EDIT: The system being backwards compatible is a reason you don't have to buy it again, not a reason they shouldn't pursue ways to make some money.

That's understandable, I'm not blaming devs/publishers for wanting to cash in more on their releases, but... As a consumer, it would be nice to just see the original releases get enhancements on PS5 via the original PS4 versions instead of them releasing the exact same game again for full price. Granted, many PS5 ports do have free upgrades for PS4 owners at least. I guess I was kind of hoping there'd be less ports and remasters this gen given the system is backwards compatible, and it seems to be quite the contrary so far, more ports in the first year than I can remember any other previous system having. Which isn't an issue in and of itself, I just don't like seeing new content locked behind the PS5 versions.

I'm not rebuying anything on PS5 unless it has new content, which isn't really something I want to have to do for 1-2 year old games, but thankfully there isn't a ton currently (3 for me atm), and I'll get them eventually when they're cheaper.

Just now, PhantomFear94 said:

I'm confused. Is the Death Stranding Director's Cut content only coming to PS5?! Didn't appreciate that - think I'm getting myself mixed up between this and Ghost of Tsushima's Director's Cut, as that is getting it on both I believe.

Also I don't realise Intergrade was PS5 only!

Yeah, Ghost of Tsushima is getting the director's cut on PS4 as well, BUT it still has some content locked behind the PS5 version, such as the Japanese audio lip sync. Death Stranding Director's Cut is PS5 only.

Yes, the Yuffie DLC is on PS5 only unfortunately.

Just now, SuperSmexy500 said:

Yeah, Ghost of Tsushima is getting the director's cut on PS4 as well, BUT it still has some content locked behind the PS5 version, such as the Japanese audio lip sync. Death Stranding Director's Cut is PS5 only.

Yes, the Yuffie DLC is on PS5 only unfortunately.

Thanks! Sorry, it's probably very obvious but I haven't had a chance to read the whole forum, and I missed the State of Play yesterday!

Speaking selfishly (as a PS5 owner and trophy completionist) this is great news for me - I don't have to worry about my PS4 100%, nor doing the same DLC twice, and if there is auto-popping attached to the PS4 > PS5 save transfer (I'd be very surprised if there wasn't) then it'll be like Spider-man Remastered, where you can just mop up the PS5-exclusive stuff (hopefully there is quite a bit to do). Obviously not great for PS4 players who won't get this content.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xsedavlasx said:

Hello! I just don't understand what they did. If I have the PS4 version and if I want to play the PS5 one should I buy this Director's cut for full price?

If you already have the ps4 version you could buy just the upgrade for the ps5, if you have the console as well. 

9 minutes ago, xsedavlasx said:

Ok, I guess it's the $10 upgrade. But I can't see it in my store. Has it been already listed or not yet in your region?

It's the same for me, I insert the disc and go to the store and can only find the full price version. 

I think the $10 upgrade is already up since the store tells me some of the people on my friends list have pre ordered it

Dunno how it is for the rest of the world, but pre-orders for the physical version of this have gone up here (UK) now, and it seems to be around £40 everywhere.

Compared to Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut, which is £60+ everywhere for the PS5 version and £50+ for the PS4 version, this price isn't too bad. Makes it a lot more appealing both to those that haven't played the game yet, and those that have (I'll probably pick it up for this price).

If anything, this just makes me more pissed about Tsushima's fairly hefty asking price for the Director's Cut all the more, regardless of whether you're buying it physically or upgrading it digitally. I know there's gonna be people saying it's because Death Stranding is older, but it's only older by 8 months, and both games seem to have a good chunk of new content, yet Death Stranding DC is launching for cheaper than it did on PS4.

• 1 month later...

Haven’t played the DS yet but on my list to. Curious to know the trophy breakdown and if save transfer and auto pop will be a thing. Will be picking this up physically and adding it to my collection. Plan on nabbing all the Directors Cut edition of games if PS continues with the branding. Bloodborne next please. 

• Like 1

On 09/07/2021 at 11:23 PM, maiathewinners said:

It's the same for me, I insert the disc and go to the store and can only find the full price version. 

I think the $10 upgrade is already up since the store tells me some of the people on my friends list have pre ordered it

Late, but I have this issue too. I know with Tsushima after it released, it showed in a section of the store where it highlighted games I could upgrade, so it'll probably do that for DS close to or upon release. 

• Like 1

Bought this on PS4 awhile back and never played it, even though this was one of those 2020 games I was really looking forward to. Since I got it on sale anyways, I'll probably just pay the $10 for the PS5 upgrade instead and just play that version. 

• 2 weeks later...