Blockbuster to close remaining stores

xzero4812

Blockbuster LLC stated that they plan to shut down their remaining 300 stores by jan 2014.While it is by no means good news to hear of so many people losing employment or to lose a big staple of our culture for those who grew up in the 80s and 90s, but those who have any open stores in the area may be able to pick up some good deals on movies and games.

tumblr_mcfkatpBKa1rnf5opo1_500.gif

http://www.movieweb.com/news/blockbuster-closes-all-remaining-stores-and-ends-dvd-by-mail-service

Did you know Blockbuster actually had the opportunity to buy Netflix when it just started out. They should've went digital...

It's terrible it had to come to this, and I think they didn't want to go digital because it would put a lot of people out of a job. They hung in there... they just couldn't compete with Netflix or Red Box.

Did you know Blockbuster actually had the opportunity to buy Netflix when it just started out. They should've went digital...

It's terrible it had to come to this, and I think they didn't want to go digital because it would put a lot of people out of a job. They hung in there... they just couldn't compete with Netflix or Red Box.

ya and by the time they decided to go digital it was just too late

I actually met my wife at a Blockbuster. I was working and some woman came up and wanted to rent Herbie: Fully Loaded. Once she asked for that movie I knew we were meant to be together.

sarcasm is very hard to detect on the interweb so im going to say that is a very touching story of meeting your mate :wub:  :yay:

Blockbuster was always my favorite because of the Gameboy and anime sections but I'm honestly surprised they lasted this long, the one in my town closed a long time ago,I think family video will be next because every time I see that place it's like a ghost town, South Park really nailed it on that episode.

I used to be a Store Manager for Blockbuster in the early 90s. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the company, it was a great place to work for the most part. Upper management was short-sighted and sucked hard but I loved the business model. It really is a shame they were so resistant to change.

I thought blockbuster closed down years ago, I'm surprise there was still some stores open. :S

The one we had closed like...7 or more years ago.

Sorry to hear all the people that will loose their jobs, I remember the times we would rent movies in the weekends sometime and games. It also helped me catch up on WWF/WWE events I never saw in the 90's to early 2000's. :lol:

Good times.