Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One announced for PS5 & PS4

New game by Frogwares, developers of The Sinking City, Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter, and Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments. This game seems to follow more in the style of the Devil's Daughter, with a younger, more attractive Holmes, and seems like it could be promising; Frogwares makes good investigative games. Coming this year, exact date yet to be announced.

https://www.psu.com/news/sherlock-holmes-chapter-one-gameplay-trailer/

I do wish they'd go back to the more book-accurate style of Crimes & Punishments, but I suppose the balding, middle aged man with eagle-like features is hardly a selling protagonist these days. Looks to be an exciting game either way; I'm happy with anything that's not an utter bastardization like the BBC Sherlock show was.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I do wish they'd go back to the more book-accurate style of Crimes & Punishments, but I suppose the balding, middle aged man with eagle-like features is hardly a selling protagonist these days. Looks to be an exciting game either way; I'm happy with anything that's not an utter bastardization like the BBC Sherlock show was.

I wish so too, maybe they'll do in the next game. The game looks great, though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

I wondered when another one of these was going to come along. Suppose I'm up for some more janky detective work.

As an aside, Jeremy Brett's portrayal of the character is still my favorite.

That was the Holmes in the old ass Sherlock series, right? I never watched all of them, but they seemed like faithful adaptations. Jeremy Brett in particular looks very similar in his portrayal to the original illustrations. I watched a movie about an old Sherlock with dementia (or alzheimers? I forget) that was pretty good; besides that Crimes & Punishments would be my runner up for best adaptation. Not quite as hawk-like as I prefer, but there's an edge to its Holmes.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled upon this article on the Frogwares site that sheds some light on the game, thought it might be handy. 

https://frogwares.com/sherlock-holmes-chapter-one-your-questions-answered-pt-1/

Estimated 12-15 hours to beat the main story, 40-50 (this seems a bit high) to experience everything. Watson is not in the game. Customizable mansion that you can decorate with furniture. Open world game with a lot of sidequests; possibly follows The Sinking City's structure as fighting is also involved. Multiple outcomes for main quests, including failing cases by accusing the wrong people, and multiple endings for the game. Side quests are more linear, like in The Sinking City. You unlock new disguises as you play that you can use to blend in with certain groups of people and change how they react to you. Main quest centers around the death of Sherlock's mother.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

Wasn’t a fan of The Devil’s Daughter. Both Sherlock and Watson looked much too young. They were portrayed very well in Crimes & Punishments. Sherlock was a keen middle aged man with an eye for detail. Watson was the dependable assistant. 

I always enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes character but Frogwares is being rather inconsistent, since the three Sherlock Holmes games I’ve played were all rather different. I definitely enjoy the crime solving and being detective.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Wasn’t a fan of The Devil’s Daughter. Both Sherlock and Watson looked much too young. They were portrayed very well in Crimes & Punishments. Sherlock was a keen middle aged man with an eye for detail. Watson was the dependable assistant. 

I always enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes character but Frogwares is being rather inconsistent, since the three Sherlock Holmes games I’ve played were all rather different. I definitely enjoy the crime solving and being detective.

Agreed, the Devil's Daughter was a vast downgrade compared to Crimes & Punishments, imo. It's a shame they're going even younger with this game. I suppose they like to do a different spin on the character with every game?

30 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

The AA Game industry has been super quiet on Playstation for ages, and Frogware is one of the last major studios in that vein. The thought of an open-world I fear may be more than Frogware can manage, but I haven't yet played Sinking City, so I hope I'm wrong 

Their open world abilities are... not the best, at least from what I've played of the Sinking City, but passable. The atmosphere in that game is really good and the investigations are solid, but traversing can be a bit boring and it's difficult to figure out directions sometimes. Hopefully they hone their open world formula a bit more; the Sinking City is definitely very clunky and sometimes outright obtuse - I am enjoying it so far, though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

The AA Game industry has been super quiet on Playstation for ages, and Frogware is one of the last major studios in that vein. The thought of an open-world I fear may be more than Frogware can manage, but I haven't yet played Sinking City, so I hope I'm wrong 

Going to have to agree completely on this. The sheer lack of AA titles is appalling.

2 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Agreed, the Devil's Daughter was a vast downgrade compared to Crimes & Punishments, imo. It's a shame they're going even younger with this game. I suppose they like to do a different spin on the character with every game?

Sherlock looks like he could pass for his early - late 20s. Sherlock in Crimes & Punishments was a guy in his late 40s, early 50s, but no older than that. It was the ideal age for him since Sherlock is supposed to be a middle aged man with a lot of experience in crime solving and using proper evidence to pinpoint the suspects.

I could accept The Devil's Daughter because Sherlock was supposedly in his 30s. But here? He doesn't look any older than his late 20s. Most versions of Sherlock Holmes portray him as much older.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

I could accept The Devil's Daughter because Sherlock was supposedly in his 30s. But here? He doesn't look any older than his late 20s. Most versions of Sherlock Holmes portray him as much older.

Yeah, I mean this is supposed to be a young Sherlock, so I guess a prequel series - as said, Watson doesn't appear in it and it has to do with his mother's death, and also takes place before he was an established detective.

28 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Yeah, I mean this is supposed to be a young Sherlock, so I guess a prequel series - as said, Watson doesn't appear in it and it has to do with his mother's death, and also takes place before he was an established detective.

The graphics are very solid. So maybe this won't be a bad game, but I'm just used to seeing an older Sherlock Holmes, since the books I've read and the other mediums of entertainment (television, movie) portray him as an older man.

The BBC Sherlock show was lame to say the least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I feel like I have to defend Devil's Daughter for a second, bare in mind that I have only played DD and C&P, perhaps it's just because I like my games to throw tangible consequences in my face, (Unashamed Telltale type game fan here), but DD actually had some callbacks to the cases I cracked tagged on in the ending which I loved trying to justify.

6 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

The graphics are very solid. So maybe this won't be a bad game, but I'm just used to seeing an older Sherlock Holmes, since the books I've read and the other mediums of entertainment (television, movie) portray him as an older man.

Trust me when I say that frequently visiting Baker Street Station when I live London makes you know just how many portrayals there are, there's an anime dog Sherlock, there's gnome Sherlock, there's a sexy Henry Cavil Sherlock and even a crap Will Ferrell one. These days I'm just happy when the stories are good. Really liked the BBC Sherlock too...  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Agreed on BBC, have you watched the Granada series? That's the most faithful adaptation I've seen yet.

1 hour ago, breakingthegreen said:

I feel like I have to defend Devil's Daughter for a second, bare in mind that I have only played DD and C&P, perhaps it's just because I like my games to throw tangible consequences in my face, (Unashamed Telltale type game fan here), but DD actually had some callbacks to the cases I cracked tagged on in the ending which I loved trying to justify.

Trust me when I say that frequently visiting Baker Street Station when I live London makes you know just how many portrayals there are, there's an anime dog Sherlock, there's gnome Sherlock, there's a sexy Henry Cavil Sherlock and even a crap Will Ferrell one. These days I'm just happy when the stories are good. Really liked the BBC Sherlock too...  

I thoroughly enjoyed Devil's Daughter, I just didn't like its representation of Holmes nearly as much; seemed much more superstitious a game as well.

BBC Sherlock is better if you're not a fan of the books, I think. It misses the essence of a lot of the original elements that it adapts which is why people who prefer more book accurate representations dislike it.

25 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

Having recently started listening to the Sherlock Holmes books on YouTube, I am excited to see a new game based on the character. 

I'd recommend looking into the Granada Sherlock series if you don't mind old TV, they're very faithful adaptations of the books.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

New cinematic trailer dropped yesterday.

Also, someone at IGN got their hands on it: https://www.ign.com/articles/sherlock-holmes-chapter-one-preview-it-doesnt-care-if-you-cant-cut-it-as-a-detective

Not much we don't know already, but confirms the game gives the player a lot of agency - "If I missed some critical pieces of evidence and accused the wrong person? Oh, well! An innocent man goes to prison and I get to walk around thinking I’ve delivered justice. If I found someone committed murder but decided to let them go free anyway? That was totally my prerogative."

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello!

I've just posted my preview of the game (on PC) here: https://www.gamepitt.co.uk/sherlock-holmes-chapter-one-preview-pc/

In short, the game is basically The Sinking City but with a Sherlock narrative, enhanced gameplay and mechanics which we've used in Frogwares' previous games, and a lot of disguises to play with.

I've really enjoyed the portion of the game I've been able to play, we just need to wait until the 16th of November now for the full game to release on PS5, Xbox Series and PC.

If you have any questions, I'll answer as much as I'm allowed - I can't get into detail with the main story or anything to do with Jon, but I can talk about mechanics and gameplay :)