Miles Morale (Marvel's Spider-Man) outsells The Last of Us: Part II

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

I don't think we can be friends anymore.

?

I'll let myself out...

Hey - on the bright side - I still bought it - so I'm still defacto-supporting the studio for ya!

I just didn't like that it attempted to brick my system and that it felt like The Witcher dude just moved whenever he felt like it - it was like holding a controller up in real life and trying to control my cat with it ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

I remember this video popping up in my recommendations.

CJudshk.png

Wonder how the guy is coping. ?

Hahaha these wannabe The Quarterings are punching the air right about now 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

MGS2 is the only other example I can recall of similar smoke-and-mirrors being used in pre-release materials to disguise the final games big plot twist reveals, but as a non-Metal Gear guy, I don't really have a sense of whether the fanbase was happy with that move at the time, or not?

I can answer! I was too young to see the launch in 2001, but I read a book about the game so I know everytning ? MGS2 was praised by critics, but amongst the fans it was divisive, to say the least. Half of the fanbase was furious. They hated the fact that they were deceived by the trailers and promos, they hated Raiden, they hated the meta-commentary. The rest of the fanbase was basically like "This game is a masterpiece, Kojima is god". The online war between these two groups of fans lasted for years.

• Like 3

Just now, Alderriz said:

I can answer! I was too young to see the launch in 2001, but I read a book about the game so I know everytning 1f604.png MGS2 was praised by critics, but amongst the fans it was divisive, to say the least. Half of the fanbase was furious. They hated the fact that they were deceived by the trailers and promos, they hated Raiden, they hated the meta-commentary. The rest of the fanbase was basically like "This game is a masterpiece, Kojima is god". The online war between these two groups of fans lasted for years.

? Cheers Alderriz.

Well... at least we know that gamers, if nothing else, are consistent ?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at these two games I can't say I'm too surprised. Miles Morales is easier to get into, is a bit more likable, and of course Spider-Man is the most popular Marvel superhero. Game is rated Teen instead of Mature, so it's more appropriate for teens. Also, there was no big controversy over this game unlike The Last of Us Part II, which I can still imagine there are people who still won't buy it because of its themes.

I find both the fanboys and the haters for The Last of Us to be equally as disgusting.

both games are really good but to say miles morales is in the same class of game as Last of Us 2 is out of the realm of possible.  I get people didn't  like the way the story went but Last of Us is more along the lines of work of art where as Miles Morales was a 2-1/2 year production that could have been dlc for the 1st game.  the game is far too easy and short to even be considered a real game.  It's really tbh a interactive movie.  people need to realize the difference between a game and a movie production.   Miles Morales is the open world formula of a game with a few boss fights mixed in and a lot of cinematic elements.  It's way better quality than a lot of open world titles sure.  MM was beautiful and well polished and close to bug free and that is great.  It was a great ps5 release to introduce us to the next generation of gaming, intentionally so.  It was perfect for that.  Why does hollywood only invest these days in big budget Super hero themed movies?  Because it's the only thing guaranteed to make a lot of money.  They are kid friendly the whole family can engage and relate.  They are considered a sure bet.  Miles morels may have proved the same for gaming. So it sold more copies it's kid friendly 100% and that goes along way.   But to say it's of the overall same quality of Last of us 2 in a gaming sense is dead wrong! 

People will say well Last of us 2 has a lot of cinematic too.  Sure but the difficulty settings in TLOU2 can provide  goo stiff challenge.  Retry city, fingers sore at the end of the session.  You won't get that on any difficulty setting in miles Morales and that is why I say it's a interactive movie with a participation award anyone can beat the game.  If you don't like the story of TLOU2 than I say you should probably turn the difficulty up and play it for the game it's suppose to be and quit trying to watch your game like a movie.  Play that shit. skip the cutscenes!

Edited by steel6burgh

On 4/19/2021 at 9:00 AM, Ptirle said:

Don't know if we can compare the two but in TLOU2 trailer, there was Joel with Ellie who said  ''You think I will let you do this on your own" and then in the game we got another character that says exactly that in the same scene. What the hell is that? They could have left that scene and put another one. Some think it is because the story was different and they've changed it or something but I don't think so. But swapping characters in some major cutscenes... that's a red flag to me. Again, if MGS2 did that, boo to them too.

That other character is Jesse. It's deceitful, manipulative, and false advertising, is what it is. Anyone who says that is simply delusional, but you don't need to think about the why, because there's already a legitimate answer to why they did it. Short answer: it was purposely done because, as one person I've heard effectively put it, Naughty Dog's goal was to build a maximum strength railgun of shock-value tragedy and use that to bludgeon the audience into feeling some kind of emotional rollercoaster. The number of aggressive actions taken by the developer and publisher pre-release further contextualizes that.

On 4/19/2021 at 8:27 AM, Ptirle said:

And there were a lot of returned copies of TLOU2 as I remember? But yeah, since false advertising was present in trailers, it's no wonder people returned the copies.

Not sure about "returned copies", but logically that'd make sense considering the divisiveness. Unsold copies, though? That there was a lot of that, hence the plethora of reports and pictures online of stores with shelves full of sealed copies. The false advertisement existed beyond just the trailers. There was various claims that Naughty Dog outright lied about to the press/in interviews, like being able to go through the whole game without killing a single dog, Ellie being the only playable character nonsense, which in turn is also denied Abby's playability, ensured online multiplayer/faction's return, etc, as well as things from trailers, like the swapped models as you mentioned, completely absent characters in scenes, etc. They were dishonest as hell, which is part of the reasoning behind why the leaks pre-release were rightfully made into such a big deal. . . Someone else here mentioned the sales plummeting shortly after release, and that is also true. That's why TLOU2 stopped getting sales updates a couple of months after launch and was absent in top spots in the monthly sale charts, while GoT was consistently in them.

2020 monthly sales lists (Mile's Morale included)

Spoiler

July

1. Ghost of Tsushima (launch month, so this one makes sense, even though TLOU2 released under a month ago)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
3. Paper Mario: The Origami King (digital sales for the Nintendo Switch not included)
4. The Last of Us Part 2
5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (digital sales for the Nintendo Switch not included)
6. Ring Fit Adventure
7. Mortal Kombat 11
8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (digital sales for the Nintendo Switch not included)
9. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (digital sales for the Nintendo Switch not included)
10. Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris

July PlayStation Downloads

1 Ghost of Tsushima  
2 Minecraft  
3 Grand Theft Auto V  
4 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare  
5 The Last of Us Part II  
6 Far Cry 3 Classic Edition  
7 Far Cry 5  
8 Marvel’s Spider-Man  
9 The Forest  
10  Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege

August

1. Madden NFL 21
2. EA Sports UFC 4
3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
4. Ghost of Tsushima
5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (digital sales not included)
6. Ring Fit Adventure
7. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (digital sales not included)
8. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (digital sales not included)
9. Paper Mario: The Origami King (digital sales not included)
10. Mortal Kombat 11

11. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

12. The Last of Us 2

Last month TLOU2 is in top 20.

August PlayStation Downloads

1. Madden NFL 21  
3. Ghost of Tsushima    
4. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout    
5. UFC 4    
6. PGA TOUR 2K21    
7. Minecraft    
8. Grand Theft Auto V    
9. NBA 2K20    
10. Cuphead  

September 

1. Marvel’s Avengers
2. Super Mario 3D All-Stars (digital sales not included)
3. Madden NFL 21
4. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2
5. NBA 2K21 (digital sales not included)
6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
7. Crusader Kings 3
8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (digital sales not included)
9. Star Wars: Squadrons
10. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (digital sales not included)
11. Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time
12. Ghost of Tsushima

September PlayStation Downloads

1. NBA 2K21  

2. Marvel’s Avengers

3. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

4. Madden NFL 21

5. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

7. Grand Theft Auto V

8. Minecraft

9. EA Sports FIFA 20

10. Marvel Spider-Man

11. Red Dead Redemption II

12. Ghost of Tsushima

October

1. Fifa 21

2. Madden NFL 21

3. Watch Dogs: Legion

4. NHL 21

5. Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit

6. Super Mario 3D: All-Stars*

7. Animal Crossing New Horizons*

8. Stars Wars: Squadrons

9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 

10. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time

11. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe

12. Ghost of Tsushima

October PlayStation Downloads

1. Fifa 21

2. Star Wars: Squadron

3. NHL 21

4. Madden NFL 21

5. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time

6. Ghost of Tsushima

7. Watch Dogs: Legions

8. Minecraft

9. NBA 2k21

10. Grand Theft Auto V

November

1. Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War

2. Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla

3. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales

4. Madden NFL 21

5. NBA 2K21*

6. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity*

7. Watch Dogs: Legion

8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

9. FIFA 21

10. Demon’s Souls

11. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe*

12. Super Mario 3D All-Stars*

13. Just Dance 2021

14. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*

15. Luigi’s Mansion 3*

16. Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit

17. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*

18. Marvel’s Avengers

19. Mortal Kombat 11

20. Ghost of Tsushima

November PlayStation Downloads

*PS5 launch month*

1. Call of Duty: Blacks Ops - Cold War
2. Assassin's Creed Valhalla
3. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morale (no. 1 for PS5)
4. Madden NFL
5. Fifa 21
6. NBA 2k21
7.Grand Theft Auto V
8. The Last of Us 2 (dramatically jumps back up randomly due to Black Friday deal and being $10 cheaper during it than GoT)
9. Ghost of Tsushima
10. Minecraft

December

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War
2. Cyberpunk 2077*
3. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
4. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morale
5. Madden NFL 21
6. Animal Cross: New Horizons*
7. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe*
8. NBA 2k21*
9. Immortals: Fenyx's Rising
10. Super Mario 3D All-Stars*

GoT finally drops out Top 20. 

December PlayStation - PHYSICAL AND DIGITAL

1.Call of Duty: Black Op - Cold War
2. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morale
3.Cyberpunk 2077*
4. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
5. Madden NFL 21
6. NBA 2k21*
7. Ghost of Tsushima 
8. Fifa 21
9. Immortal Fenyx Rising
10. Demon's Souls

Apparently, there is no December Downloads(?). However, Ghost of Tsushima was confirmed as the most downloaded/digitally purchased PlayStation 4 Exclusive of 2020.

People wanted to be hush-hush about Ghost of Tsushima's overwhelmingly tremendous success last year. In doing so, besides the people who have known but choose to ignore it, that seems to be the reason why so many people are uninformed about this.

Highlighted Miles Morales too, since it becomes relevant later on in the months.

* = what's in the parentheses. 

Sources: NPD, Sony, PlayStation Blog.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

Ever since they changed Peter's face, my investment from the series went from 'I'm mildly engaged' to 'Pick up at discount bin' for the sequels. If I ever do buy it anyway, with the onslaught of backlog and other interesting games coming out (which is why I haven't bought MM). That aside, I'm pleased for Insomniac.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

That other character is Jesse. It's deceitful, manipulative, and false advertising, is what it is. Anyone who says that is simply delusional, but you don't need to think about the why, because there's already a true answer to why they did it. Short answer: it was purposely done because, as someone else effectively put it, Naughty Dog's goal was to build a maximum strength railgun of shockvalue tragedy and use that to bludgeon the audience into feeling some kind of emotional rollercoaster. The number of aggressive actions taken by the developer and publisher pre-release further contextualizes that.

Not sure about "returned copies", but logically of course there was some of that. A lot of unsold copies, though? Yes, there was, hence the plethora of reports and pictures online of stores with shelves full of sealed copies. The false advertisement existed beyond just the trailers. There was various claims that Naughty Dog outright lied about, like being able to go through the whole game without killing a single dog, Ellie being the only playable character nonsense, ensured online multiplayer/faction's return, Abby's existence itself, etc, as well as things from trailers, like the swapped models as you mentioned. They were dishonest as hell, which is part of the story behind why the leaks pre-release were rightfully made into such a big deal. . . Someone else here mentioned the sales plummeting shortly after release, and that is also true. That's why TLOU2 stopped getting sales updates a couple of months after launch and was absent in top spots in the monthly sale charts, while GoT was consistently above TLOU2 (save November) in them. 

Hide contents

July

1. Ghost of Tsushima (launch month, so this one makes sense, even though TLOU2 released under a month ago)
3. Paper Mario: The Origami King (digital sales for the Nintendo Switch not included)
4. The Last of Us Part 2
5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (digital sales for the Nintendo Switch not included)
6. Ring Fit Adventure
7. Mortal Kombat 11
8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (digital sales for the Nintendo Switch not included)
9. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (digital sales for the Nintendo Switch not included)
10. Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris

July PlayStation Downloads

1 Ghost of Tsushima  
2 Minecraft  
3 Grand Theft Auto V  
4 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare  
5 The Last of Us Part II  
6 Far Cry 3 Classic Edition  
7 Far Cry 5  
8 Marvel’s Spider-Man  
9 The Forest  
10  Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege

August

1. Madden NFL 21
2. EA Sports UFC 4
3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
4. Ghost of Tsushima
5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (digital sales not included)
6. Ring Fit Adventure
7. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (digital sales not included)
8. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (digital sales not included)
9. Paper Mario: The Origami King (digital sales not included)
10. Mortal Kombat 11

11. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

12. The Last of Us 2

Last month TLOU2 is in top 20.

August PlayStation Downloads

1. Madden NFL 21  
3. Ghost of Tsushima    
4. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout    
5. UFC 4    
6. PGA TOUR 2K21    
7. Minecraft    
8. Grand Theft Auto V    
9. NBA 2K20    
10. Cuphead  

September 

1. Marvel’s Avengers
2. Super Mario 3D All-Stars (digital sales not included)
3. Madden NFL 21
4. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2
5. NBA 2K21 (digital sales not included)
7. Crusader Kings 3
8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (digital sales not included)
9. Star Wars: Squadrons
10. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (digital sales not included)
11. Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time
12. Ghost of Tsushima

September PlayStation Downloads

1. NBA 2K21  

2. Marvel’s Avengers

3. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

4. Madden NFL 21

5. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

7. Grand Theft Auto V

8. Minecraft

9. EA Sports FIFA 20

10. Marvel Spider-Man

11. Red Dead Redemption II

12. Ghost of Tsushima

October

1. Fifa 21

2. Madden NFL 21

3. Watch Dogs: Legion

4. NHL 21

5. Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit

6. Super Mario 3D: All-Stars*

7. Animal Crossing New Horizons*

8. Stars Wars: Squadrons

9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 

10. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time

11. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe

12. Ghost of Tsushima

October PlayStation Downloads

1. Fifa 21

2. Star Wars: Squadron

3. NHL 21

4. Madden NFL 21

5. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time

6. Ghost of Tsushima

7. Watch Dogs: Legions

8. Minecraft

9. NBA 2k21

10. Grand Theft Auto V

November

1. Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War

2. Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla

3. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales

4. Madden NFL 21

5. NBA 2K21*

6. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity*

7. Watch Dogs: Legion

8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

9. FIFA 21

10. Demon’s Souls

11. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe*

12. Super Mario 3D All-Stars*

13. Just Dance 2021

14. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*

15. Luigi’s Mansion 3*

16. Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit

17. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*

18. Marvel’s Avengers

19. Mortal Kombat 11

20. Ghost of Tsushima

November PlayStation Downloads

*PS5 launch month*

1. Call of Duty: Blacks Ops - Cold War
2. Assassin's Creed Valhalla
3. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morale (no. 1 for PS5)
4. Madden NFL
5. Fifa 21
6. NBA 2k21
7.Grand Theft Auto V
8. The Last of Us 2 (somehow returns to top 10 — likely due to some kind of promotion, but if anyone has the answer to this that'd be cool)
9. Ghost of Tsushima
10. Minecraft

December

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War
2. Cyberpunk 2077*
3. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
4. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morale
5. Madden NFL 21
6. Animal Cross: New Horizons*
7. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe*
8. NBA 2k21*
9. Immortals: Fenyx's Rising
10. Super Mario 3D All-Stars*

GoT finally drops out Top 20. 

December PlayStation - PHYSICAL AND DIGITAL

1.Call of Duty: Black Op - Cold War
2. Marvel Spider-Man: Miles Morale
3.Cyberpunk 2077*
4. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
5. Madden NFL 21
6. NBA 2k21*
7. Ghost of Tsushima 
8. Fifa 21
9. Immortal Fenyx Rising
10. Demon's Souls

Apparently, there is no December Downloads(?). However, Ghost of Tsushima was confirmed as the most downloaded/digitally purchased PlayStation 4 Exclusive of 2020.

People wanted to be hush-hush about Ghost of Tsushima's ridiculously tremendous success last year. In doing so, besides the people who have known but choose to ignore it, that seems to be the reason why many people don't seem to be informed about this.

Included and highlighted Miles Morales too, since it becomes relevant later on in the months.

* = what's in the parentheses. 

Sources: NPD, PlayStation.

Tlou2 is targeted toward really small percentage of certain people so it's no biggie. 

No wonder majority of devs left Naughty Dog. 

On 10/05/2021 at 9:38 AM, Ptirle said:

Tlou2 is targeted toward really small percentage of certain people so it's no biggie. 

No wonder majority of devs left Naughty Dog. 

Do you have a number on that? I also heard they lost a good portion of the experienced animator crop because of the harsh crunching but could never tell if that number was in the realm of a dozen or 50+.