rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

38 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I was not impressed at all by Black Mirror. It felt like the weirdness of Silent Hill with the clunky controls of an early RE game. 

Yeah, it is mediocre and has too many loading screens ?

...but the atmosphere of that game isn't bad. I consider the game a stress-reliever. ?

• Like 1

On 27/06/2022 at 0:07 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Lone Survivor is definitely one of those games where you either like it or you don’t. That is definitely reflected in the trophy stats. Most of the trophies are very rare despite the game being around a 3/10 in difficulty for most players. 

Not my cup of tea though. Horror in general I just never really got into, even though I ended up enjoying Resident Evil HD.

I agree actually. I could totally see it being quite the Marmite game.

I couldn't quite figure out why it was an ultra rare platinum either. I figured it was probably a PS+ thing, more than anything.

It's interesting you say that about Resident Evil HD, because I found Lone Survivor has that similar satisfaction Resident Evil HD does, where just the learning process alone is a fun one, as you get better and better at the game each successive time you play it.

On 27/06/2022 at 7:28 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

You know - there really needs to be some better descriptor for those games like this one that are Horror-adjacent, but not necessarily beholden to a strong predilection for horror in order to be enjoyed 1f914.png

I know what you mean about this - Lone Survivor is definitely Horror of a sort, but it's one of those ones I think non-horror fans, or even horror-adverse folks can easily get next to - like Bioshock, or Alice: The Madness Returns, or even something like Dark Souls - there's a horror root that is weaved all through it, and it's probably taking more inspiration from Horror cinema than any other brand of fiction, but still has enough of a foot outside that sphere, that non-horror folks can pretty much just tell themselves it isn't one!

Absolutely! I don't think it's quite horror in the truest sense, and interestingly yes I agree it shares more with horror cinema than video games. I need to post that Sidehow Bob stepping on a rake gif on myself now.... BUT, yeah the horror is definitely there, but it doesn't define it. I'd like to think those that steer away from horror might at least consider this one, because I thought it was an incredibly good time!

I was thinking about this - most of the time with non-voice acted games, I have a rough notion of what I think the characters would sound like... but Lone Survivor, I have no idea who could be the cast!

I can't tell if it would be super deadpan - like, Aubrey Plaza as Chie, and Stephen Wright as You... or maybe grim dark, with Troy Baker doing You, and Jennifer Hale as Chie... or if it would be sort of comic dissonance with Chie weirdly upbeat like Kristen Schall and You played by Office Space style Stephen Root! 1f602.png

They all kind of make sense to me in that strange world!

Oh man! That Aubrey Plaza as Chie thing is an inspired choice.... I love that! Especially as I saw Chie as a pretty indifferent kind of character from the way she speaks. Aubrey Plaza would nail that one,

Yes please for more Jennifer Hale in anything to be perfectly honest! So I would take that Chie too. I'd also be up for the Kristen Schall and Stephen Root versions too, Kristen Schall would be great for that weird change in tone Yellow ending version specifically.

You know what's weird though? In my head "You" was Japanese. So I kept thinking how good Mamoru Miyano (The actor that plays Okabe in Steins Gate, amongst other things) could have been as "You." He already showed in Steins Gate 0 how well he can play different facets of a characters mental wellbeing, and he could have brought something really special to some of the interactions with The Director for example. Like the one directly after you face "Mother."

I thought that monster sound was super cool - with headphones on it felt like the roaring rush you get when something terrible happens, and you feel your pulse in your eardrums, and the blood rushing through your head!

I haven't listened to that with earphones in. I really should, because that sounds even more intense than it already was! I loved that sound effect too, I kept trying to wrack my brains for a while to figure out exactly what went into actually making it ?

This is an awesome idea. 

Just sayin... and for all that it makes sense, I'm struggling to think of a narrative game like this what does the randomised rogue-like thing... I think you might be onto a genuine new genre here!

Really? I would have been sure something like that would have been done before already. I thought it would have been a great idea for either a DLC for the game, or just something a little different.

The thing is for it to work in another game, the area design would have to be as immaculately designed as they were in Lone Survivor, otherwise I think in execution it would likely fall flat on its arse, which would be a real shame! ?

Awesome write up as always m'dude!

Thanks man! Much appreciated as always.

I've got some of your own to sit down and read once I've gone and posted up some bits and bobs! Looking forward to it!

18 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I was not impressed at all by Black Mirror. It felt like the weirdness of Silent Hill with the clunky controls of an early RE game. 

A good Point and Click series that is more light hearted, Agatha Knife

Neither was I! In fact I just finished writing my review of it, which I'll post up after this.... and I pretty much massively shit on the game as a whole xD.... I particularly like point-and-clickers so when one fails as epicly as I thought this one did, I tend to get pretty worked up about it xD

I'll have a look at Agatha Knife in a bit, I'm not familiar with that one. Thanks!

17 hours ago, zizimonster said:

Yeah, it is mediocre and has too many loading screens ?

...but the atmosphere of that game isn't bad. I consider the game a stress-reliever. ?

Oh Zizi! I think that's hilarious.... only because I thought it would be too. xD I played it in between torturous boosting sessions on Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, and I was desperately hoping it would have been a stress reliever too. Instead it just frustrated me mostly ?

They sure do like their loading screens!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

I think I remember that cut scene. In all it was a forgettable experience. Speaking of the transition times, I remember times that the game would have you facing back towards the exit as you entered an area, so you will exit by accident, meaning another load screen, to turn around again to get back to where you were going, meaning another load screen. 

Agatha Knife is a funny game. You play as Agatha, who works in a butcher shop. You don't want the animals to fear you though, so you decide to make a new religion call Carnivorism, which teaches them not to fear death. 

• Like 1

I wondered where I heard the name Black Mirror before(not the show)...it was a weird 2003-2004 Point& Click that I played on PC and abandoned to (re)play Broken Sword 2 xD Heard it was a commercial success but mneh, didn't catch me

MV5BNDU3YzJlOWItNjVjNy00MTQ5LTk5YjMtNzJlZDU1YzNlMGQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDEwMjgxNg@@._V1_.jpg

It's really rare to see you disliking a game this much xD but damn it looks like a true mess. That blood floating thing sounds hilarious, truly horror.

At least you got rid of it :D 

2 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I'm also inching closer and closer to finally having the online done for Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.... Once that's done. I'm tempted to have a little Assassin's Creedathon in here and review some of those games I've been putting off until I finished Brotherhood!

Assassin's Creedathon you say????

h60kwm.gif

I am so looking forward to that :D 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

with a controller finding the desired hotspots to interact with is a nightmare, as David controls, and moves like a person learning to play QWOP for the first time, it's bothersome at best.

I guess if the abundance of Bagpipes is any indicator of the low-hanging fruit they are leaning on with regards to Scottish stereotypes, it’s possible this is deliberate…

…they’re just leaning into the other famous thing about us - he’s drunk AF! ?

Oh man - that sounds like a belter!

Must admit, I never played any of the old Black Mirror games… but I suspect I would ha e done the same, and started with the reboot…

…I appreciate the signal to body-swerve it!

If only to avoid the cultural defamation of course… I can’t endorse a game that leans so hard into the bagpipes just to show my country’s character.

Cultural stereotyping is the worst…

…I’ll just bid you och-aye-the-noo, and get back to my Haggis and Buckfast platter while I’m still sober enough to find it on this tartan tablecloth.

Now where did I leave my sgian dubh? ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

I think I remember that cut scene. In all it was a forgettable experience. Speaking of the transition times, I remember times that the game would have you facing back towards the exit as you entered an area, so you will exit by accident, meaning another load screen, to turn around again to get back to where you were going, meaning another load screen. 

Agatha Knife is a funny game. You play as Agatha, who works in a butcher shop. You don't want the animals to fear you though, so you decide to make a new religion call Carnivorism, which teaches them not to fear death. 

Oh man.... Yep, so many times did I do that! I don't think I'd mind quite as much if they weren't so long.... and, well.... boring I suppose. At least gimme some flavour text or something? Just so that I don't have to start counting how many freckles I have on my arm!

Agatha Knife looks awesome dude! I just looked it up, I love some of those trophy icons too, those are nice... Massive thanks for the heads up by the way, I'll be getting that in a sale, OR just soon and slapping your name on it when I eventually get around to playing and reviewing it!

I hope you're up for a bit more Doctor Who discussion this week! I'm hoping to get part 2 of that list done, so you can let me know how iffy my picks for 10-6 are going to be ? as I'm planning to play some longer games, so I'll have more spare time in-between reviews to get that written up!

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

I wondered where I heard the name Black Mirror before(not the show)...it was a weird 2003-2004 Point& Click that I played on PC and abandoned to (re)play Broken Sword 2 xD Heard it was a commercial success but mneh, didn't catch me

MV5BNDU3YzJlOWItNjVjNy00MTQ5LTk5YjMtNzJlZDU1YzNlMGQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDEwMjgxNg@@._V1_.jpg

It's really rare to see you disliking a game this much xD but damn it looks like a true mess. That blood floating thing sounds hilarious, truly horror.

At least you got rid of it :D 

Well I would never argue with anyone that would abandon something to go and play the ALWAYS GLORIOUS (despite evil Satan Goat) Broken Sword 2! Man I love that game..... and oh boy oh boy did I not love Black Mirror. Which you have evidently found out for yourself now. That floating blood thing was so funny. I took a screenshot of it, but I didn't add it just in case someone was sick in the head enough to want to play the game after I tore it some new bum flaps!

I think it was just a mixture of all of the wasted potential, and my frustrations creeping in from playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood that just made me go hard at Black Mirror for just not being good enough (OR EVEN GOOD AT ALL) ..... Well and almost making me do this xD....

RsMU18e.gif

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

Assassin's Creedathon you say????

h60kwm.gif

I am so looking forward to that :D 

Haha! That's brilliant, I've never seen that before..

Yep, I was planning to write the review of Brotherhood then do Revelations, and then maybe go up to the point Desmonds story stops review-wise and then we take a break from them for a little bit coming back to them later. Bit like I left Yakuza hanging, around the point where I'm up to reviewing those (Yakuza 4).

I'm quite looking forward to writing them though, because I really like the series, but a lot of folks probably wouldn't know as the only one I've written about so far is a woefully short one I wrote of Assassin's Creed II when I was too paranoid about writing things too long.

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I guess if the abundance of Bagpipes is any indicator of the low-hanging fruit they are leaning on with regards to Scottish stereotypes, it’s possible this is deliberate…

…they’re just leaning into the other famous thing about us - he’s drunk AF! 1f602.png

Well.... I didn't want to say that ?

The weird thing is, I don't think they especially half arsed the research all that much. That old fella I sent you a screenshot of, he actually uses quite a lot of Scottish colloquialisms... Like "I kenned that" or "ya ken, Laddie" (alright that one is a little sterotype-ish). I think he even uses Ned's once or twice too. 

But they don't add those to the subtitles either, you either understand what they mean....  or they're a bit lost on you. In my case from watching practically all of Ken Loaches films in Scotland, where he insists upon the dialogue sounding as authentic as possible, so I got the gist of most of them.

So it's a little weird how they made more of an effort in some areas than others.  

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Oh man - that sounds like a belter!

Must admit, I never played any of the old Black Mirror games… but I suspect I would ha e done the same, and started with the reboot…

…I appreciate the signal to body-swerve it!

If only to avoid the cultural defamation of course… I can’t endorse a game that leans so hard into the bagpipes just to show my country’s character.

Cultural stereotyping is the worst…

…I’ll just bid you och-aye-the-noo, and get back to my Haggis and Buckfast platter while I’m still sober enough to find it on this tartan tablecloth.

Now where did I leave my sgian dubh? 1f914.png

My pleasure dude!

I was so hopeful that people were just dogging on the game unnecessarily, but no... unfortunately it just isn't very good...or particularly bad, but somehow it was a much more offensive experience than that mediocre Poirot game...

Hey I mean look at it one way... We've got the two front runners for the worst game I've played of the year so far when it comes to our Checklist awards season at the end of the year xD

This one is the ultimate case of "I played it, so no other human on the planet should have to ?"

I actually was going to write some long thing about toxic exoticism in Black Mirror, but I already gave the game a hard enough time, and who really wants to read about me applying various bits and pieces of advanced film theory to a shite game using Scottish stereotypes ?

Aye.... I ken what y're sayin laddie..... OH SHIT IT'S CONTAGIOUS RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN.....

Nah you go enjoy your Buckfast (one of my ex girlfriends was always trying to get me to drink that) wolf down your platter of Haggis, set your Tartan coloured alarm clock that plays bagpipes to wake you up....

and I'll, erm.... I'll throw my pitchfork at your dog to keep quiet, lend someone the key to my brand new combine harvester, and go and drink some cider on a bale of hay with no shoes and socks on, with a piece of straw in my mouth, giggling toothlessly at the sunset? That's mostly all of the west country farmer stereotypes (where my family are mainly from) all sewn up, right? ?

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Agatha Knife looks awesome dude! I just looked it up, I love some of those trophy icons too, those are nice... Massive thanks for the heads up by the way, I'll be getting that in a sale, OR just soon and slapping your name on it when I eventually get around to playing and reviewing it!

I hope you're up for a bit more Doctor Who discussion this week! I'm hoping to get part 2 of that list done, so you can let me know how iffy my picks for 10-6 are going to be 1f602.png as I'm planning to play some longer games, so I'll have more spare time in-between reviews to get that written up!

There are three games in the series. Both Agatha and MechaNika are pretty sweet point and clicks. Art style is on point, cool easter eggs and yah the trophy images are nice too. Game three changes it up, it is this challenging side scroll action game. Dont look at it until you play the other two first though. 

I am always down for some Doctor Who talk. First and fore most are you ready for another new doctor?

41 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

There are three games in the series. Both Agatha and MechaNika are pretty sweet point and clicks. Art style is on point, cool easter eggs and yah the trophy images are nice too. Game three changes it up, it is this challenging side scroll action game. Dont look at it until you play the other two first though. 

I am always down for some Doctor Who talk. First and fore most are you ready for another new doctor?

Oh they are part of a series too! Nice, I'll have to save them to my wishlist and keep a look out then! I did really like the look of the art-style for Agatha, so that's almost already a winner that one! Noted, I'll try and remember not to touch the third until I've played the other two!

I'm a bit on the fence about the "another new Doctor thing" especially as it looks like Tennant might end up possibly being 14 instead of reprising 10. I've got a sneaking suspicion that because he's wearing Tartan trousers, Tennant might actually get to play The Doctor with a Scottish accent, which would be cool.

I'm, not really fond of Jodie's era of the show, so personally I am about ready for a switch up - hence why she wound up at the bottom of my rankings, It isn't her fault. I just wish she'd been given better material to work with, she really deserved better. I'm also really worried Chibnall is going to kill off one of those classic companions that is coming back for the Centenary special later in the year. That would bum me out so much!

I am however, pretty excited to see how Ncuti Gatwa plays the part. He's completely new to me as an actor, as I've yet to see Sex Education, or anything else that he's been in. So I'm pretty excited to see the direction they go in with his Doctor. How about you? You read for the change up? 

8 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Oh they are part of a series too! Nice, I'll have to save them to my wishlist and keep a look out then! I did really like the look of the art-style for Agatha, so that's almost already a winner that one! Noted, I'll try and remember not to touch the third until I've played the other two!

I'm a bit on the fence about the "another new Doctor thing" especially as it looks like Tennant might end up possibly being 14 instead of reprising 10. I've got a sneaking suspicion that because he's wearing Tartan trousers, Tennant might actually get to play The Doctor with a Scottish accent, which would be cool.

I'm, not really fond of Jodie's era of the show, so personally I am about ready for a switch up - hence why she wound up at the bottom of my rankings, It isn't her fault. I just wish she'd been given better material to work with, she really deserved better. I'm also really worried Chibnall is going to kill off one of those classic companions that is coming back for the Centenary special later in the year. That would bum me out so much!

I am however, pretty excited to see how Ncuti Gatwa plays the part. He's completely new to me as an actor, as I've yet to see Sex Education, or anything else that he's been in. So I'm pretty excited to see the direction they go in with his Doctor. How about you? You read for the change up? 

As criminal as it is, I am behind this season or so. I have alot on my dvr still from new years. Yah know the only time of year bbc shows more than 6 episodes. By that I mean thoughout they show about 6 to 10 of the same episodes all year long. It drives me crazy. Well I have lots of issues with bbc anymore but it is the same with just about any channel on cable that they no longer show what should be in that channel. Bbc now is star trek, nature documentaries, and random American movies. I know the parent company is now amc but the programing seems lost. 

I heard the Tennet rumors but I took them with a grain of salt. As cool as it would be,   I think they will keep moving in new directions. He is the most popular Doctor though which is why he was added to the vr sequel. I am interested to see how the new season goes. I havnt looked into the big special though. I will have to look it up.

On 6/26/2022 at 3:10 PM, rjkclarke said:

I think we were literally having one of our long late night back and forths when I brought it actually, which is probably what tricked me into thinking you had it. We were definitely perusing the store I remember that much.

I mean with DLC and all, with the sale right now I ain't lookin at more than seven bucks or somethin like that...

I know! It sucks, right! 

That's sometimes the curse with Sports games, is that they can be incredibly fun to play if you're fond of the sport, but have a horrible trophy list, that will detract everyone but those that already like the sport. I know being a completionist is niche enough, but it's kind of a shame when that happens. If it didn't have such a shit trophy list I'd recommend picking it up, which I hate saying, I really do!

Upon a glance I noticed it said 'up the antenna' when I quite deliberately typed 'up the ante.' Spellcheck, more like Spellchump, amirite???

It's just a shame. Sports games in particular, but games with multiple modes in general without a trophy list including at least most modes do everyone a disservice. Particularly since in many trophy hunter spheres, if there's no trophy, they won't bother. You'd think the whole point was to encourage players to see as much of a game as possible! *insert dramatic sigh about the kids these days here*

You know the drill, dude! Just strike me on the nose a few times with a newspaper, that should snap me out of it!

???????????????

I got ammo fool, so you be nice to yourself. Don't be mean to my homie?

On 6/26/2022 at 3:28 PM, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #356

Lone Survivor (PS4)

L6adf63.png

First off, fantastic work! Secondly, you talk about sound design all you want. On a more general level, it's just interesting. As someone who's made music and has a bit of (layman, admittedly) experience with recording and editing software though, it's a real treat!

My inability to remember where I knew Jasper Byrne from was bugging me til I looked it up and saw he worked on the Hotline Miami soundtrack. Already interested!!

Looks like another game with your name on it in my backlog! Love the mental health approach, love the horror aspect, and well... if you AND Doc are going on about it, I feel I have little choice other than to give it a shot!

8 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #357

Black Mirror (PS4)

L6837a5.png

So as I'm sure you can guess, it's nice to be given a break and for once be convinced NOT to try a game out???

For a game to not even be able to get you, possibly the most warm-hearted video game enthusiast I know, to say a nice thing about its gameplay? It's officially erased from my memory, and as far as I know Black Mirror is an Arcade Fire song and nothing more.

Oh I’m not done digging this game out quite yet – this game performs worse than almost any other game that I’ve played on the PS4. Quite frankly it plays like a low budget PS2 game – not the charming kind either.

Because I know this is you really making a strong effort to be nice... ouch.

Now that my hot streak of awesome games has ended, it's time to get that going again! So time to fire up The Artful Escape soon and get that played, which I'm actually looking forward to!

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952b907c2af860d0862f

Best of luck too on your Assassin's Creed multiplayer.. you've been expressing the unpleasantness of it and I've been meaning to give you my sympathies! Just keep at it man, you got this?

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 8:43 PM, rjkclarke said:

Those games should be on lots of peoples to buy in the future list! Although one of my best friends played through Oxenfree recently and told me that the game had a recent patch that screwed a few trophies up, but I expect that'll be fixed soon.

Ah right. It's annoying when games get patched and then trophies become unobtainable or the requirements get fudged.

Haha! I said that pre-emptively it seems. What with me replying to this now, instead of when you sent it.

There's a half funny story though, apart from boring adult business, I got bitten by a False Widow Spider a couple of times, and I've had this weird pins and needles-ish wooly feeling in half of my hand, so typing pretty much anything was a no go, as it just felt weird. Otherwise I would have gotten back to you sooner. And got that Lone Survivor review finished, which I've just done. So I'll have to post that up shortly.

Haha well you're almost there. It's better than a lot of people!

I'm not sure that quite qualifies as being a half funny story lol Geez man, you got to take care. Surely you should have gotten that looked at?

I believe you just have to get a completion time of under 3 or 3 and a half hours overall in Resident Evil 5. It isn't as bad as it sounds though. As you can just replay certain levels really quickly to get your overall completion down.

Ouch - I've got no desire to play Dissidia Final Fantasy. That needlessly grindy trophy list makes me want to go and eat a pile of twigs. 1f602.png Good luck man! I hope you enjoy it though, because if it is anything like the PSP one you'll probably have fun with it.

(Typing this after having to hit my keyboard to get it to type....joy) That's a very good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Honestly the last few RE's have had their speedruns as being "Go for it in one go" pretty much, rather than being able to break it up with a chapter or level select and just working on that particular bit. That could help me out. 

I can't lie, it is needlessly grindy. 100%. The "In the Nick of Time" trophy especially is annoying as something that rhymes with wit. However at the same time, because it is FF and I've got into it I am having fun with it. Haven't even played the story mode yet. Just doing all the online stuff and then gonna give it a break for a while but potentially it is being lined up with my 350th platinum so we will see!

Never played the PSP ones but heard they were very good.

Give yourself as much of a break from it as you think you need! That was a huge undertaking with your Final Fantasy X guide. Even playing through the game takes a good long while, and that's without throwing trophies into the mix or all the extra stuff you put in there.

I'm going to try and record a Century break tomorrow (or soon at the very least) in Pool Nation to probably use in the guide. That should be easy enough, it's just making one where I'm not all over the place positionally, but that might actually be a better one to use, as it'll show the kind of shots you can pull off in that game to keep a break going. I'm hoping it turns out decently. We definitely got a very thorough understanding when we played the game for a good ten hours almost in one day.

Yeah indeed. I am doing. I've got a potential few lined up but need to get through all the online stuff I mentioned before in Dissidia in order to let myself concentrate on something else.

I think actually that yeah, recording a video that isn't perfect and shows that you can still achieve that Century break would be really beneficial. I would certainly feel that way. I was like that with my Sonic Colours Ultimate rival rish vids. They aren't perfect, I made mistakes yet still showed that leeway you have available and still succeed.

I'm sure your thorough understanding of the game will show through. Like I said, if either of you need a helping hand with anything in terms of the guide I am happy to help!

I like BOTH of the first two things!

And the last thing I DON'T LIKE AT ALL xD1f474.png

Sorted then! Go find them lol

Haha! well I've previously said that a lot of my family are from The West Country, so I felt the need to clarify it.... People do have some stereotypes about inbreeding and folks from that part of the country. One of my Great Uncles was quite literally a Goat farmer as well 1f602.png

I remember taking the GameGear for granted, in that I never wanted to play it very much because it didn't have Pokemon on it. My little child brain was like "I don't want to play Shinobi or Sonic, Where's Pikachu?

Well yes there are those stereotypes but there you go. Not something I subscribe to lol

Yeah sadly even though Sega had Sonic for the Game Gear, it never had that absolute sensational game like Pokemon with the younger audience to the extent that Pokemon became. A craze. 

On 6/26/2022 at 1:34 AM, YaManSmevz said:

And you better not forget it! Cuz if you mess with me... I'll stand in front of you while you repeatedly shoot and kill me.

Oh yes. And THEN who will look foolish, hmm??

Me obviously! hahaha

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/6/2022 at 0:10 AM, rjkclarke said:

Well whatever console they land on I'll definitely be playing them! I've been a bit out of the loop with the Persona games for such a long time now, so it's about time that changed really.

Nice to know it had good VA's in it, because yeah those can definitely be a bit hit and miss at times. I've come across some really good ones, and some that make my ears want to bleed and then never stop bleeding 1f602.png

Nope Wreckfest is Arenas and Crashing and Racing. I think if someone were to actually figure out some sort of a ratio for it, there is actually more racing in Wreckfest than there is those crashing events, and I did think it was a pretty good racer too. In fact we have a resident racing expert in the thread, and he liked it too! so definitely check out Wreckfest if you can!

Connor was indeed a massive fanny! He's about as interesting as a pile of rocks with a loosely adorned feather! I might be a little biased as I quite like the Assassin's Creed series, but I'd definitely say there's been some good protagonists after ACIII

I thought Edward Kennway was great in Black Flag, Arno from Unity was great so long as you play the game in French. In fact almost all of that game plays better in French, with subtitles on. Evie was great in Syndicate too. Don't discount ever going back to them, I still think there's some fun to be had with them. I haven't played any past Origins, so I can't speak on the ones that are Odyssey onwards.

Haha good point! I don't mind whether they do Kingdom Hearts 5 or 6 - I just want a little more progression, there is still ways to keep Sora and his crew fresh, I just don't think they're mining those possibilities as much as they could be. I hope I like KHIV though! There's no way that I won't play it eventually, I'm too deep into that universe to stop now.

I still haven't touched that KHIII DLC, I've heard it's really good it's just a really too offensively high price tag for me to pay for a DLC. If it ever drops in price substantially I'll definitely get it though!

I think I had a stopwatch going when I did my last Limbo run, and it was something like 53 minutes for me. And that was with 3 deaths. So it's definitely not as long as you think! You can do it! I'll look forward to reading your eventual write up about it in your thread!

I really need to get back to Dishonoured soon, thanks for the reminder!

I did go a bit long with that Pool review, but I do really love Pool and Snooker, so I had to put a bit more into that one. It's a great game with a bit of a rubbish trophy list unfortunately.

Definitely try out Vanishing of Ethan Carter if it's available to you! I really liked that, and it's pretty short too, hope you have a good time with it.

I loved Lone Survivor, I'm going to post the review of it once I've written this post, that's another one I'd definitely encourage you to go back to, I thought that was a really great game.

Well P3-4 on Ps4 and P5R i guess On Ps5 because we already have it :P Then when you'll play them if needed (I don't think so but still) ask me whatever! On P5 especially i can tell you everything! I'm curious about your thoughs then.

I Mean just play in japanese and you are fine. I guess you prefer english since you tell me this but i always think original language is always the best one. It would be strange and not as great playing Uncharted in Japanese despite loving the language for me for example ebcause i know the game is English where it's born.

AH i see, that's great news for wreckfest then, absolutely gonna check it out in the next months now that i have it!

I mean doing worst than a character with no personality at all is kinda hard i would say. But i don't like Pirate stuff that much and i don't like the new AC formula. So i'll pass the only one that catch my interest is Unity, the city and location looks great and everything too so, if as the rumors say, all the AC end up on the PSPlus i'll gladly play that one. The others nope. Glad to read you saying the Main for Unity is a good one i hope so then! 

Well they can keep it as fresh as they want by adding new enemies and stuff after all the universe in KH could be infinite, i just wanna see Kairi and Sora togheter come on it's been since 2006 that i'm waiting xD I just hope the star wars stuff isn't awful, i don't like the series so ugh. for me it's a D1 KH4 obviously instead :P 

It dropped half price 1-2 sales ago i think and 15 € (Or 10? Can't remember if it's the Deluxe or not that) it's absolutely a good price for it, it offers quite a lot and explains even more, the Final battle is brutal. Definitively keep an eye on sales because lately ti's going with other DLCs!

I see, then i guessit's faster than i remember Limbo! Good to know, if it was on the PSPlus i would play it streamed on my Ps4 xD Since it's not whenever i feel like going back on the Ps3 i'll surely downlod it to try and finish then!

Well good luck in Dishonored, i don't blame you for dragging it out, i HATE luck based stuff. 

Ah i see, i do enjoy some pool myself but yeah i know there aren't really easy ones around trophy wise.

Thanks! I'll have it on my console i'll try it out once i clear some other games on my list! 

Well congrats again for Lone survivor, yeah i know it's good i like dit, i have to go back for the different endings, i just Suck at reaching properly the different endings in the game i play, not only Lone Survivor, any kind of game with Mutiple endings requiring steps for them.

Sorry for the late reply but i was busy first and the went on a Trip, got back yesterday :P 

I see you played a LOT meanwhile, congrats onthe 5 Plat you got O.o I relaly have to get into AC Revelation to finish the tirlogy on Ps4 too! And Ape escape is on my next list too gonna start it this days :D

Edited by Sora9427
  • Like 1

Before I really get into this, sorry for the incredibly late replies everyone, I just kind of caught in a bit of a loop, where any free time I had I was practically spending all of it gaming, so I neglected this place just a little bit, sorry about that! Although I'm going to make an effort to catch up on reviews in the next couple of days. I've got a couple I need to finish, but I'm going to post the Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood one, once I've written these replies and given it a once over and a bit of a proof read.

On 29/06/2022 at 2:12 AM, kingofbattle8174 said:

As criminal as it is, I am behind this season or so. I have alot on my dvr still from new years. Yah know the only time of year bbc shows more than 6 episodes. By that I mean thoughout they show about 6 to 10 of the same episodes all year long. It drives me crazy. Well I have lots of issues with bbc anymore but it is the same with just about any channel on cable that they no longer show what should be in that channel. Bbc now is star trek, nature documentaries, and random American movies. I know the parent company is now amc but the programing seems lost. 

I heard the Tennet rumors but I took them with a grain of salt. As cool as it would be,   I think they will keep moving in new directions. He is the most popular Doctor though which is why he was added to the vr sequel. I am interested to see how the new season goes. I havnt looked into the big special though. I will have to look it up.

That's a pain that, it's not even particularly viable for you to be able to watch the show at all!

It seems really silly, when Doctor Who has actually garnered quite a popular following in the US since its revival, and even before that it had a bit of a cult following too. So the idea of them not putting it out on television in a way that people can easily keep up to date with it seems massively stupid!

On the upcoming specials though - Doctor Who is in a weird place right now, where I'm somehow more excited for next years specials, than I actually am for Jodie Whittaker's final 90 minute "extravaganza" that she's getting at the end of this year. Which should be exciting, but I'm just worried it'll be terrible.

On 29/06/2022 at 6:30 AM, YaManSmevz said:

I mean with DLC and all, with the sale right now I ain't lookin at more than seven bucks or somethin like that...

Well if you see Aragami on sale, and you decide to hit purchase, it's definitely an option for a bit of co-op goodness!

Upon a glance I noticed it said 'up the antenna' when I quite deliberately typed 'up the ante.' Spellcheck, more like Spellchump, amirite???

It's just a shame. Sports games in particular, but games with multiple modes in general without a trophy list including at least most modes do everyone a disservice. Particularly since in many trophy hunter spheres, if there's no trophy, they won't bother. You'd think the whole point was to encourage players to see as much of a game as possible! *insert dramatic sigh about the kids these days here*

Aaaaaaay I see what you did there ?

It is a shame though, obviously the people that like the sport will play it, but I don't think it would encourage those that don't, and somehow picked up the game, to then learn more about the sport, or potentially generate an interest.

Sometimes I think developers underrate the ability trophies have to generate interest in certain areas, even if ours is a pretty niche hobby.

Spellcheck is so weird, as is autocorrect. Like if I'm messaging one of my friends, and his brothers name comes up it always defaults to Ethanol instead of his actual name ?

First off, fantastic work! Secondly, you talk about sound design all you want. On a more general level, it's just interesting. As someone who's made music and has a bit of (layman, admittedly) experience with recording and editing software though, it's a real treat!

My inability to remember where I knew Jasper Byrne from was bugging me til I looked it up and saw he worked on the Hotline Miami soundtrack. Already interested!!

Looks like another game with your name on it in my backlog! Love the mental health approach, love the horror aspect, and well... if you AND Doc are going on about it, I feel I have little choice other than to give it a shot!

Thanks a lot man! I appreciate it as always.

I've gotta get and comment on your own recent horror trip, I loved your Soma review, I just don't think I had any rep points at the time when I read it, so I'll have to jump in and more officially tell you how awesome it was!

I totally think you'd have a great time with Lone Survivor though - it's got some big love from Doc and I, and it's just an overall great experience!

I only found out as I was reading up a few things for the review that Jasper Byrne was involved with Hotline Miami, he's a talented dude! So it definitely explains why you enjoyed that soundtrack as much as you did!

So as I'm sure you can guess, it's nice to be given a break and for once be convinced NOT to try a game out1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png

For a game to not even be able to get you, possibly the most warm-hearted video game enthusiast I know, to say a nice thing about its gameplay? It's officially erased from my memory, and as far as I know Black Mirror is an Arcade Fire song and nothing more.

Then I did a good job then! Because I would not want anybody else to have to experience that game if they could otherwise avoid it! It's one of those cases where sometimes what you hear about a game being bad, really is the case. I just had to find that out the hard way haha!

Definitely stay away from that craptastic adventure! It shall remain an Arcade Fire song, and an awesome TV Show available through Netflix ?

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952b907c2af860d0862f

Best of luck too on your Assassin's Creed multiplayer.. you've been expressing the unpleasantness of it and I've been meaning to give you my sympathies! Just keep at it man, you got this1f44a.png

Yes, it was definitely frustrating, but thankfully, as of right now, I need two more multiplayer trophies across all of the PS3 Assassin's Creed games, and I'm all done! So it'll be nice to FINALLY have those knocked out. Now I can feel even more comfortable about reviewing the ones I was missing DLC for.

I also need to actually write that The Artful Escape review now too, which I'm quite looking forward to writing, as I have got nothing by positive things to say about that one!

On 29/06/2022 at 6:38 AM, The_Kopite said:

I'm not sure that quite qualifies as being a half funny story lol Geez man, you got to take care. Surely you should have gotten that looked at?

It's kind of ironic, that I'm responding to you telling me not to worry about a late reply, a week and a half later.... what a tit!

But nah, I should be fine, I get bitten by Spiders a lot, they really seem to like me for some reason, so I'm kind of just used to it at this point! I don't like it, but if you can avoid getting tagged by a false widow do it, because they really can mess you up for a good day or two, their venom makes you feel really odd. But maybe I'm particularly susceptible to it?

(Typing this after having to hit my keyboard to get it to type....joy) That's a very good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Honestly the last few RE's have had their speedruns as being "Go for it in one go" pretty much, rather than being able to break it up with a chapter or level select and just working on that particular bit. That could help me out. 

That probably will help you out in Resident Evil 5! Just because you can skip the crappy vehicle levels entirely, as you can't really speed those up, and replaying them is not exactly fun either.

I think it's really awesome of them to allow you to get the Infinite Rocket Launcher, so long as your overall time is under 3 and a half hours. It'll be a lot easier to whittle down than you think, especially when you get yourself an infinite Magnum, or an L.Hawk.

I can't lie, it is needlessly grindy. 100%. The "In the Nick of Time" trophy especially is annoying as something that rhymes with wit. However at the same time, because it is FF and I've got into it I am having fun with it. Haven't even played the story mode yet. Just doing all the online stuff and then gonna give it a break for a while but potentially it is being lined up with my 350th platinum so we will see!

Never played the PSP ones but heard they were very good.

Eurgh, Online grinding yaaaaaaaaaaaaay, said not me ever!

I'm glad you're enjoying it though, certainly enough to select it as a milestone, not sure I could hold off for 80 games to platinum something I'm enjoying, but that's the one part of me that's impatient gaming wise. It was a real struggle to not start Nier Replicant, before I hit 349 Platinum's.

I expect you'll end up enjoying it even more once you actually get into the story modes a bit more, which I assume is what you're probably looking forward to the most with it!

Yeah indeed. I am doing. I've got a potential few lined up but need to get through all the online stuff I mentioned before in Dissidia in order to let myself concentrate on something else.

I think actually that yeah, recording a video that isn't perfect and shows that you can still achieve that Century break would be really beneficial. I would certainly feel that way. I was like that with my Sonic Colours Ultimate rival rish vids. They aren't perfect, I made mistakes yet still showed that leeway you have available and still succeed.

I'm sure your thorough understanding of the game will show through. Like I said, if either of you need a helping hand with anything in terms of the guide I am happy to help!

I still have yet to actually record any videos, I got super sidetracked playing loads of other games haha! One of these days I'll sit down and actually make the effort to do it. I doubt it will even take long.

Thanks, I appreciate that by the way, I'm sure I'll probably shoot a few questions your way about formatting and stuff, that I'm pretty in the dark about once I actually come to write the guide haha ?

Well yes there are those stereotypes but there you go. Not something I subscribe to lol

Yeah sadly even though Sega had Sonic for the Game Gear, it never had that absolute sensational game like Pokemon with the younger audience to the extent that Pokemon became. A craze.

Good! Although I wouldn't blame you, it's one of those prevalent stereotypes, like the silly one about welsh people and four legged woolly creatures. Completely baseless, well probably anyway. None of my family down that way are inbred I know that much :lol:

WHY DIDN'T MARBLE MADNESS ON THE GAME GEAR TAKE OFF LIKE POKEMON?

I think you did kind of hit the nail on the head there, it didn't really have anything on it to really make it a must have console for a young audience to actually want to play, and that's a bit of a shame really!

10 hours ago, Sora9427 said:

Well P3-4 on Ps4 and P5R i guess On Ps5 because we already have it :P Then when you'll play them if needed (I don't think so but still) ask me whatever! On P5 especially i can tell you everything! I'm curious about your thoughs then.

I Mean just play in japanese and you are fine. I guess you prefer english since you tell me this but i always think original language is always the best one. It would be strange and not as great playing Uncharted in Japanese despite loving the language for me for example ebcause i know the game is English where it's born.

I'd probably play in Japanese to be honest, if there's English subs available.  If it's the more authentic and better sounding alternative. Some of the Japanese VA's in the Tales of' series are much better than the English versions.

And I would never in a million years play the English dubs of Yakuza, I've heard some of the recent ones, and whilst they're fine enough, they kind of just feel so wrong!

I'm sure once I do get to play Persona 4 you'll be able to read my probably novel length post about it, once I'm done ?

AH i see, that's great news for wreckfest then, absolutely gonna check it out in the next months now that i have it!

Please do! I'll look forward to checking out what you think of it, as modern racers go, I thought it was a pretty decent and unique one, so I hope you like it!

I mean doing worst than a character with no personality at all is kinda hard i would say. But i don't like Pirate stuff that much and i don't like the new AC formula. So i'll pass the only one that catch my interest is Unity, the city and location looks great and everything too so, if as the rumors say, all the AC end up on the PSPlus i'll gladly play that one. The others nope. Glad to read you saying the Main for Unity is a good one i hope so then! 

Funny you mention, games in their native language actually!

If you're going to play Assassin's Creed Unity, I thoroughly recommend you play it in French. The English version is fine, it just makes Arno seem like a bit of a wet fish, in French he's a little different, and it really does make Unity a more authentic experience in French, with appropriate subtitles of course,  I thought.

You'll definitely have the benefit of playing Unity, now that its been patched to within an inch of its life. I've only ever played the fixed version of it, and I've always rather enjoyed it for what it was. If you can play alongside a friend, then its even better!

Well they can keep it as fresh as they want by adding new enemies and stuff after all the universe in KH could be infinite, i just wanna see Kairi and Sora togheter come on it's been since 2006 that i'm waiting xD I just hope the star wars stuff isn't awful, i don't like the series so ugh. for me it's a D1 KH4 obviously instead :P 

It dropped half price 1-2 sales ago i think and 15 € (Or 10? Can't remember if it's the Deluxe or not that) it's absolutely a good price for it, it offers quite a lot and explains even more, the Final battle is brutal. Definitively keep an eye on sales because lately ti's going with other DLCs!

I must have missed that, I'd be tempted to pay half price for it, so if I see it again I might have to hit purchase. One of these days I ought to get around to Melody of Memories, but I'm pretty useless at rhythm games, so I'm dreading it ?

I really like Star Wars, but I don't think it will mesh well with Kingdom Hearts. I think the only way to make it work really is for it to be in one of the child friendly IP's like The Clone Wars series, or something like that, anything else might be a bit jarring. I'd be well up for having like Darth Vader as a cameo boss like Sephiroth was, or something like that, so that would be cool at least!

I'd love to say KH4 wouldn't be a day one purchase for me, but I said that about KH3, and got that one day one, so I'm sure I will too haha!

I see, then i guessit's faster than i remember Limbo! Good to know, if it was on the PSPlus i would play it streamed on my Ps4 xD Since it's not whenever i feel like going back on the Ps3 i'll surely downlod it to try and finish then!

Absolutely! if  you get the itch to dust off your PS3, give Limbo another go, I'm sure you'd probably have a great time with it!

Well good luck in Dishonored, i don't blame you for dragging it out, i HATE luck based stuff. 

Thank you! I've gotten mostly all of the luck based stuff done now! I've just gone off to play a load of different games and left it sitting there unfinished! Oooops!

Well congrats again for Lone survivor, yeah i know it's good i like dit, i have to go back for the different endings, i just Suck at reaching properly the different endings in the game i play, not only Lone Survivor, any kind of game with Mutiple endings requiring steps for them.

I know that feeling all too well - I sometimes just try and push through and do them anyway, because immediately the minute you've done one, you're like.... "oh do I have to really go back and do those again, but ever so slightly differently"

Sorry for the late reply but i was busy first and the went on a Trip, got back yesterday :P 

I see you played a LOT meanwhile, congrats onthe 5 Plat you got O.o I relaly have to get into AC Revelation to finish the tirlogy on Ps4 too! And Ape escape is on my next list too gonna start it this days :D

No need to apologise at all! I have been away from the thread for the last two weeks pretty much anyway, so I'm the one that should be apologising to everyone else really haha!

Hope you had a good trip though!

I did play quite a lot in the meantime, got quite a bit of gaming in when I could, now I've got the problem of having a few reviews to catch up on!

You should totally go back for Revelations, it's really good. I'm planning to replay it soon in preparation for the review, and get that last piece of DLC finished.

You're going to have a good time with Ape Escape as well I think, that is a great time! Pretty quick platinum too, but really very fun and light hearted!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Before I really get into this, sorry for the incredibly late replies everyone, I just kind of caught in a bit of a loop, where any free time I had I was practically spending all of it gaming, so I neglected this place just a little bit, sorry about that!

I feel that! Read these and was like nice, I'll have to respond later on! But then I looked in the mirror and saw this:

smh-kanye-west.gif

Really freaked me out. Turns out the wife said Kanye West three times and it had nothing to do with me at all, but the spirit of the whole thing wasn't lost on me. I don't wanna end up leaving another word avalanche because I missed six reviews!!

Well if you see Aragami on sale, and you decide to hit purchase, it's definitely an option for a bit of co-op goodness!

Looks like I'm pokin my head back in the store?

It is a shame though, obviously the people that like the sport will play it, but I don't think it would encourage those that don't, and somehow picked up the game, to then learn more about the sport, or potentially generate an interest.

Sometimes I think developers underrate the ability trophies have to generate interest in certain areas, even if ours is a pretty niche hobby.

Exactly! It's like a microcosm of trophy lists in general, I confess to being one of those players who have shied away from a potential game because of a shitty trophy list. Something I wouldn't have cared about before I picked up this hobby...

I tell ya. Trophy hunting is like a dirt that won't come off once it's come into contact with your skin. And believe me, I have scrubbed?

Spellcheck is so weird, as is autocorrect. Like if I'm messaging one of my friends, and his brothers name comes up it always defaults to Ethanol instead of his actual name 1f602.png

Funny how it never seems to work when it would help though! Can't tell you how many gibberish jumbled of letters have made it past spellcheck and made me feel like an illiterate with fat fingers. Good job spellcheck, CLEARLY what I meant was "mothrrfuxker," not the popular curse word that you've seen me use countless times in the past. Give yourself a raise.

EDIT: Okay, that one was fair game, I meant jumbles but that's probably less of an actual word than 'jumbled.' Guess I am an illiterate with fat fingers.. touché, spellcheck.

I've gotta get and comment on your own recent horror trip, I loved your Soma review, I just don't think I had any rep points at the time when I read it, so I'll have to jump in and more officially tell you how awesome it was!

I totally think you'd have a great time with Lone Survivor though - it's got some big love from Doc and I, and it's just an overall great experience!

Thanks a lot my dude! No worries on that. I liked that game quite a bit and was hoping writing that one would be a springboard into the other reviews I gotta get crackin on... sadly, that has not been the case just yet?

Sounds like I've got little choice, on the list it goes!

I only found out as I was reading up a few things for the review that Jasper Byrne was involved with Hotline Miami, he's a talented dude! So it definitely explains why you enjoyed that soundtrack as much as you did!

I believe he curated that soundtrack along with his own additions, but I could be mistaken. Either way, it's an absolute banger. Speaking of banger soundtracks, Transistor?? Goddamn.

Then I did a good job then! Because I would not want anybody else to have to experience that game if they could otherwise avoid it! It's one of those cases where sometimes what you hear about a game being bad, really is the case. I just had to find that out the hard way haha!

That you did! Bro if you of all people are spitting bile at a game, it is truly one to run away from at top speed. If you played '82 ET, phobia and all you'd probably still find more nice things to say about that one than Black Mirror!

Yes, it was definitely frustrating, but thankfully, as of right now, I need two more multiplayer trophies across all of the PS3 Assassin's Creed games, and I'm all done! So it'll be nice to FINALLY have those knocked out. Now I can feel even more comfortable about reviewing the ones I was missing DLC for.

Frustrating no doubt, but that's quite the feather in your cap now! I applaud your patience and determination, man. That's no easy feat, especially now that those servers are um... likely not the most pleasant places to be.

I also need to actually write that The Artful Escape review now too, which I'm quite looking forward to writing, as I have got nothing by positive things to say about that one!

?????????????

16 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #358 +100%

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS3)

Lca6af8.png

First of all, congrats! I know this has been a labour of love (you deserve the U on this one) and I'm so pleased to see all your patience paying off, especially given that this is clearly a game you've wanted to see through to completion for so long now!

That sounds like a whirlwind of an experience, man! Also I bought the Ezio Trilogy a long while back because I played maybe ten minutes of AC2 on the 360... looks like I'ma have to dive into that after all! You do a wonderful job (as you always do) of highlighting a game's strong suits. I've been curious about this franchise for yeeaaaaars but so far my wallet has spent more time with it than I have! You make me want to change that.

fd8363c4-04ac-407f-8649-35cce835f625_tex

Also glad to hear you got a friend out of the deal! Boosting can surprise you sometimes, man. You love to see it.

As always, stupendous work my dude. Huge props for tackling this guy and getting that proverbial monkey off your back. Excited for you to finish off these games for good!

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 3

On 12/07/2022 at 2:35 AM, rjkclarke said:

An Entire Decade Went By, Before I Earned My Latest Platinum!

Well, this is my kinda pace! Ain’t nothing wrong with that haha! ?

Honestly though mate, I’m glad you’ve smashed this one out of the backlog once and for all!

You made a great new friend and got to write a fantastically-epic review! We all win here ?

This is Assassins Creed as I remember it (at it’s best too imo) - the last game in the franchise that I played was actually Revelations which unfortunately I never got to finish. I had this mad issue where during a sequence, where you’re being dragged by a horse / horse and cart irrc - every time I tried to complete the sequence my controller would disconnect. Weird right? No matter what I tried (uninstall / reinstall / wired controller) nothing worked. This was actually one of the first games I ever purchased digitally as well, at full price I’ll add! So yeah, that was my last venture into the AC games ?

Back on track: I massively agree with you and much prefer the older games. I’m not really sure what Assassins Creed is trying to be in the present day but whatever it is, it’s not for me personally. 

The take home for me here - I wish I had played the DLC back in the day! Sounds like it truly made a great game even better, and that’s always what DLC should be. Additional content that adds to the overall game and provides a rich experience with fun new elements to explore. 

Lastly, I’ll say that it’s fucking outrageous that you had issues boosting because you’re not French. I’m sorry you had to endure that dude. Those people missed out on hanging out with a great person and honestly, fuck those people! 

• Like 2

On 12/07/2022 at 7:05 PM, YaManSmevz said:

I feel that! Read these and was like nice, I'll have to respond later on! But then I looked in the mirror and saw this:

smh-kanye-west.gif

Really freaked me out. Turns out the wife said Kanye West three times and it had nothing to do with me at all, but the spirit of the whole thing wasn't lost on me. I don't wanna end up leaving another word avalanche because I missed six reviews!!

It happens! I'm in danger of doing that myself in your thread soon I think.... I'll definitely hop in tomorrow though, because you've been writing some real awesome stuff in there (well, like you always do) so it's about time I head on back in!

I might have given myself a lot of bad luck if he'd appeared in my mirror ?

Looks like I'm pokin my head back in the store1f609.png

Looks like you already hit purchase ? Awesome!!

Exactly! It's like a microcosm of trophy lists in general, I confess to being one of those players who have shied away from a potential game because of a shitty trophy list. Something I wouldn't have cared about before I picked up this hobby...

I tell ya. Trophy hunting is like a dirt that won't come off once it's come into contact with your skin. And believe me, I have scrubbed1f62d.png

I try not to do that myself - but I'd be a big fat dirty liar, if I said I hadn't swerved one or two games because they had a terrible trophy list. Sometimes you just can't stop common sense taking over and making you do an ultra sharp U-Turn.

That is a pretty damn good analogy man, even if it is an annoyingly sobering one too :lol:

EDIT: Okay, that one was fair game, I meant jumbles but that's probably less of an actual word than 'jumbled.' Guess I am an illiterate with fat fingers.. touché, spellcheck.

Haha! To me, jumbles just sounds like the name of a really fat really useless clown, who only does adult parties, and his one signature pieces is pulling his pockets out of his clown trousers, unzipping his flies and showing everyone "The Elephant with the smallest trunk in the world, but the biggest ears"

And that's why sometimes people shouldn't be encouraged to say their thoughts out loud :dunno:?

But erm... SPELLCHECK BAD, AUTOCORRECT BAD,,, Right?

I believe he curated that soundtrack along with his own additions, but I could be mistaken. Either way, it's an absolute banger. Speaking of banger soundtracks, Transistor?? Goddamn.

Oh man that soundtrack is so good. That "I will always, always find you....." from Ashley Barrett pretty much broke me a little the first time I heard it, and that whole "I love you Red" from the sword midway through the game! Man I love that game so much, you've got a treat in store whenever you play Bastion too, and now you've reminded me I haven't played Pyre yet ?

I am going to play Hotline Miami at some point, so I look forward to hearing it, Jasper Byrne is a talented fella!

That you did! Bro if you of all people are spitting bile at a game, it is truly one to run away from at top speed. If you played '82 ET, phobia and all you'd probably still find more nice things to say about that one than Black Mirror!

I think I would as well. :facepalm:

I'd be like, "I actually ended up appreciating this game immensely because it helped me conquer my TOTALLY NOT IRRATIONAL fear of E.T."

Frustrating no doubt, but that's quite the feather in your cap now! I applaud your patience and determination, man. That's no easy feat, especially now that those servers are um... likely not the most pleasant places to be.

It definitely feels good,  and as of two nights ago, I've gotten all of the multiplayer for Assassin's Creed games that I want to play (because I won't be stacking any). It is a very freeing feeling that's for sure!

To answer your comment that was a  row of smiley happy faces, I just finished The Artful Escape review, going to give it a quick glance over and then post it up real soon, writing about it was such a nice reminder of how powerful that game really was.

First of all, congrats! I know this has been a labour of love (you deserve the U on this one) and I'm so pleased to see all your patience paying off, especially given that this is clearly a game you've wanted to see through to completion for so long now!

That sounds like a whirlwind of an experience, man! Also I bought the Ezio Trilogy a long while back because I played maybe ten minutes of AC2 on the 360... looks like I'ma have to dive into that after all! You do a wonderful job (as you always do) of highlighting a game's strong suits. I've been curious about this franchise for yeeaaaaars but so far my wallet has spent more time with it than I have! You make me want to change that.

fd8363c4-04ac-407f-8649-35cce835f625_tex

Also glad to hear you got a friend out of the deal! Boosting can surprise you sometimes, man. You love to see it.

As always, stupendous work my dude. Huge props for tackling this guy and getting that proverbial monkey off your back. Excited for you to finish off these games for good!

Thanks so much man!

I definitely have been chasing this one down for quite a while, it's funny in a way how I ended up pulling the trigger on it before even the servers were announced to be closing. I would have had an easier time grouping up 6 people right about now, but it is what it is. It's thankfully done now.

You should definitely dive on in with the Ezio trilogy, if you think you're up for it! It's a really great quality trilogy that one, with not a single bad game in it, or one that's any less than very good (in my opinion) and each one is very good for slightly different reasons I think. You'll also miss out on the online shenanigans. Which is a shame in a way, as I genuinely enjoyed the online multiplayer back in the day, but now it's like constantly standing on a plug socket or some Lego with bare feet. 

You know what, the platinum in Brotherhood is nice and all, but I think finding an absolutely awesome friend out of it is what I'll end up remembering the most, and I think that's what I'm probably most grateful for, ultimately. Any amount of shitty online is worth suffering through that for, it really is.

On 13/07/2022 at 10:51 AM, KindaSabbath said:

Well, this is my kinda pace! Ain’t nothing wrong with that haha! 1f44a.png

Honestly though mate, I’m glad you’ve smashed this one out of the backlog once and for all!

You made a great new friend and got to write a fantastically-epic review! We all win here 1f44c.png

Thanks Sabbath.... Also, it's is awesome to see you back posting more on the regular, although it isn't like we haven't spoken recently, it just might look like it to the wider PSNP world haha.

Your kinda pace indeed!! ? ? I think that's kinda cool though. A Long ass completion, usually has a fairly interesting story to go alongside it doesn't it? I like seeing weirdly long completions all over peoples profiles.

Exactly, who is going to complain about making an awesome new friend, and then getting to write a definitely too long review (see I corrected you there :lol:). Especially when it's kind of opened the door for me being more comfortable about writing about the others I deliberately skipped over now too! 

This is Assassins Creed as I remember it (at it’s best too imo) - the last game in the franchise that I played was actually Revelations which unfortunately I never got to finish. I had this mad issue where during a sequence, where you’re being dragged by a horse / horse and cart irrc - every time I tried to complete the sequence my controller would disconnect. Weird right? No matter what I tried (uninstall / reinstall / wired controller) nothing worked. This was actually one of the first games I ever purchased digitally as well, at full price I’ll add! So yeah, that was my last venture into the AC games 1f602.png

Back on track: I massively agree with you and much prefer the older games. I’m not really sure what Assassins Creed is trying to be in the present day but whatever it is, it’s not for me personally. 

The take home for me here - I wish I had played the DLC back in the day! Sounds like it truly made a great game even better, and that’s always what DLC should be. Additional content that adds to the overall game and provides a rich experience with fun new elements to explore. 

Oh shit man! What an absolutely bizarre glitch! That must have stung a bit.... I'm not surprised you kind of ran away from the series at that point. It's a shame, because I think Revelations is really good on a gameplay and a story level. I think the way Ezio controls ever so slightly differently, and has to adapt because he's older is an incredibly cool and nuanced touch that I really liked!

So I hope you end up getting to actually play through all of it with the Ezio collection, might be a nice little nostalgia trip, and a few healthy ones of those never hurt anyone! You can smash it out in style the Sabbath way! With some constraints like playing it one handed whilst making a cheesecake ?

Oh actually, I did something you'd have done this afternoon, and I went back and did the bits of Brotherhood that aren't required for 100%. A True 100% if you will, and I'll edit something into the review about them, because one of them adds a whole lot of richness to Ezio as a character, and I think it's a shame the trophies didn't encourage you to do it!

Lastly, I’ll say that it’s fucking outrageous that you had issues boosting because you’re not French. I’m sorry you had to endure that dude. Those people missed out on hanging out with a great person and honestly, fuck those people! 

Fuck those people indeed! I appreciate that dude! 

My awesome friend told them off in French anyway..... So I guess they got told off for being absolute cockwombles in their own language, so hopefully they felt like complete arses, but I really doubt it!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #359

The Artful Escape (PS4)

L738464.png

C8rD.gif

Fantastic! An RJK review is always a joy, but this one had me grinning wide for the entire time. So glad that you enjoyed this game as much as you did and that you gave it your solid write-up treatment. Just good shit wall to wall, man!

I wish I had more to say, you already said it all. And beautifully, might I add! I'm right there with you in hoping that as many peeps as possible play this one, it's such a deeply affecting piece of art.

Oh, and thanks for the shout!

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

It happens! I'm in danger of doing that myself in your thread soon I think.... I'll definitely hop in tomorrow though, because you've been writing some real awesome stuff in there (well, like you always do) so it's about time I head on back in!

Thanks bro! Haha there's no need for worry. You've always been way better about that than me, I fall behind way more often than I'd care to say?

Haha! To me, jumbles just sounds like the name of a really fat really useless clown, who only does adult parties, and his one signature pieces is pulling his pockets out of his clown trousers, unzipping his flies and showing everyone "The Elephant with the smallest trunk in the world, but the biggest ears"

And that's why sometimes people shouldn't be encouraged to say their thoughts out loud :dunno:1f602.png

Hahaha nice?

Now that I think of it, my first thought is an adult setting too - for me what comes to mind is a super clumsy stripper who trips all over the place and is constantly like "oops.. oh gosh, I'm so sorry... oh no, I hope that comes out."

"AND NOW COMIN OUT TO THE STAGE, JUMBLES! YESSIR GENTLEMEN SHE I- ..OOOHH, AW THAT LOOKED LIKE IT HURT.. BOUNCERS, CHECK ON HER, WILL YA?"

Oh man that soundtrack is so good. That "I will always, always find you....." from Ashley Barrett pretty much broke me a little the first time I heard it, and that whole "I love you Red" from the sword midway through the game! Man I love that game so much, you've got a treat in store whenever you play Bastion too, and now you've reminded me I haven't played Pyre yet 1f602.png

I am going to play Hotline Miami at some point, so I look forward to hearing it, Jasper Byrne is a talented fella!

I need to get to writing about that one, Transistor is so stupidly well put together. And agreed, that song at the end hit me hard, it was one of those where you hear it and can't help stopping what you're doing and just ingesting the song whole in awe. Brilliantly written and performed track man, and the perfect ending.

Bastion and Pyre definitely got shot up the list, and while I know it will be a difficult one, Hotline Miami 2 is another candidate as well. Eager for you to get into HM1, that one is a fuckin trip!

I'd be like, "I actually ended up appreciating this game immensely because it helped me conquer my TOTALLY NOT IRRATIONAL fear of E.T."

I would read that review just for that aspect, I think that its historical significance would take a backseat?

"How I Learned to Stop Worrying About E.T. and oh God get him away GET HIM AWAY," coming soon to a PSN thread near you!

You should definitely dive on in with the Ezio trilogy, if you think you're up for it! It's a really great quality trilogy that one, with not a single bad game in it, or one that's any less than very good (in my opinion) and each one is very good for slightly different reasons I think. You'll also miss out on the online shenanigans. Which is a shame in a way, as I genuinely enjoyed the online multiplayer back in the day, but now it's like constantly standing on a plug socket or some Lego with bare feet. 

I may have to do that. I've always been down for those early ones, but I gotta be honest, those newer ones don't appeal to me at all. Actually made me glad to see you reference that in the review, made me think all the more that these ones may in fact be for me after all!

You know what, the platinum in Brotherhood is nice and all, but I think finding an absolutely awesome friend out of it is what I'll end up remembering the most, and I think that's what I'm probably most grateful for, ultimately. Any amount of shitty online is worth suffering through that for, it really is.

Real talk!

• Like 2

Awesome review of The Artful Escape, I'll definitely put it on my list as one to check out. But after reading this it got me wondering, have you ever played Sayonara Wild Hearts? It's another one by Annapurna Interactive, and your review of Artful Escape sounded very similar to my experience with that game. I think you may like this one too ?

• Like 2

Fantastic Artful Escape review mate!

It's really gratifying seeing this game getting to more people, and becoming the cult classic I am almost certain it is destined to be!

It's funny reading this one right now, as I've been furiously typing up another review over the past week, for a game I am convinced should be sold in a double-pack called something like "The Power of Art" pack - Chicory!

Reading this one, I am more convinced than ever that you need to play Chicory - the things in The Artful Escape that so spoke to you (and me) are exactly the things that I think would connect you to Chicory in the super-glue-like way I did ? It does it with visual art, while The Artful Escape concentrates on music, but both are such pointed and astute discussions of the perils, trials and glory of putting your expression out in the world!

In fact, funny that dear @Heather342 should also mention the third game that could be added to that pack to make it a triple - Sayonara Wild Hearts!

If The Artful Escape, Sayonara Wild Hearts, and Chicory were ever put into a Triple Pack, it could just as easily be called "Buy This Pack RJKClarke!" as it could "The Power of Creativity Extravaganza" ?

• Like 4

On 7/12/2022 at 1:03 AM, rjkclarke said:

It's kind of ironic, that I'm responding to you telling me not to worry about a late reply, a week and a half later.... what a tit!

But nah, I should be fine, I get bitten by Spiders a lot, they really seem to like me for some reason, so I'm kind of just used to it at this point! I don't like it, but if you can avoid getting tagged by a false widow do it, because they really can mess you up for a good day or two, their venom makes you feel really odd. But maybe I'm particularly susceptible to it?

Just a bit ironic yes but who doesn't love a bit of irony every now and again?

Maybe so. I'd be more annoyed at the fact you haven't turned into Spiderman yet tbh lol

That probably will help you out in Resident Evil 5! Just because you can skip the crappy vehicle levels entirely, as you can't really speed those up, and replaying them is not exactly fun either.

I think it's really awesome of them to allow you to get the Infinite Rocket Launcher, so long as your overall time is under 3 and a half hours. It'll be a lot easier to whittle down than you think, especially when you get yourself an infinite Magnum, or an L.Hawk.

Yes indeed, sounds more positive the more I think about it!

Yeah any infinite ammo in a Resident Evil game definitely helps the experience and speedrunning of course!

Eurgh, Online grinding yaaaaaaaaaaaaay, said not me ever!

I'm glad you're enjoying it though, certainly enough to select it as a milestone, not sure I could hold off for 80 games to platinum something I'm enjoying, but that's the one part of me that's impatient gaming wise. It was a real struggle to not start Nier Replicant, before I hit 349 Platinum's.

I expect you'll end up enjoying it even more once you actually get into the story modes a bit more, which I assume is what you're probably looking forward to the most with it!

No I agree with you 100 percent but apart from one match a day for the next few days in order to get a title for playing a match 30 days in a row (Need 50 titles for a trophy) then I'll be done with the online - already got all the online trophies so great to get that out of the way and will be able to give it a much needed break. Definitely got it locked in for my 350th platinum. Would be the rarest FF plat I'll probably ever get lol

Yeah of course everyone is different. I get where you are coming from and sometimes I get annoyed with how I have it set up but then eventually I get into the groove I need and it all (hopefully) falls into place!

Yeah absolutely! You know me, love my single player games so really intruiged by how the story will play out, especially when I've never experienced one like this before. Firstly I'll have to get my 300th platinum milestone - FFVII Remake. I'll get an autopop PS5 plat bonus there like RE2R, and then I'll be able to play the Intermission DLC which I've been looking forward to for ages as well!

I still have yet to actually record any videos, I got super sidetracked playing loads of other games haha! One of these days I'll sit down and actually make the effort to do it. I doubt it will even take long.

Thanks, I appreciate that by the way, I'm sure I'll probably shoot a few questions your way about formatting and stuff, that I'm pretty in the dark about once I actually come to write the guide haha 1f602.png

I doubt it will for a master of the potting such as yourself!

Yeah no worries. Happy to help! I'll take a credit somewhere in the guide thanks lol joking

Good! Although I wouldn't blame you, it's one of those prevalent stereotypes, like the silly one about welsh people and four legged woolly creatures. Completely baseless, well probably anyway. None of my family down that way are inbred I know that much :lol:

WHY DIDN'T MARBLE MADNESS ON THE GAME GEAR TAKE OFF LIKE POKEMON?

I think you did kind of hit the nail on the head there, it didn't really have anything on it to really make it a must have console for a young audience to actually want to play, and that's a bit of a shame really!

Marble Madness! That could have been the rival to Pokemon and taken the handheld crown! Maybe it happened in another universe lol

Yes indeed, stereotypes sadly are very damaging.

Sega really had some great tech and great games, but sadly they had too many decisions they got wrong like creating the Sega CD and 32X, not having a proper Sonic game on the Saturn etc etc. but certainly the Game Gear with the tech and potential it had compared to the Game Boy was a massive missed opportunity. Sony are quite like Sega in a lot of ways. 

• Like 1

Catching up to this thread a hundred years later...big congrats for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood! I've heard horrors about boosting that game, I too interacted way too much with Ubisoft servers and let's say potatoes form a better peer2peer connection than whatever they have there.

However that "French business" xD ... goddamn, Rome really didn't want to be conquered this time.

Other than the online yes, the game is great, I think that's still my favorite AC game to this day, however the PS4 version is recommended since it's purely single player!

Best of luck with AC Revelation's "Lost Archives DLC", that Impress Warren Vidic trophy will be fun, I promise you xD 

Also good luck with Valhalla :awesome:you know why lol!

• Like 4

On 12/7/2022 at 2:03 AM, rjkclarke said:

I'd probably play in Japanese to be honest, if there's English subs available.  If it's the more authentic and better sounding alternative. Some of the Japanese VA's in the Tales of' series are much better than the English versions.

And I would never in a million years play the English dubs of Yakuza, I've heard some of the recent ones, and whilst they're fine enough, they kind of just feel so wrong!

I'm sure once I do get to play Persona 4 you'll be able to read my probably novel length post about it, once I'm done 1f602.png

Please do! I'll look forward to checking out what you think of it, as modern racers go, I thought it was a pretty decent and unique one, so I hope you like it!

Funny you mention, games in their native language actually!

If you're going to play Assassin's Creed Unity, I thoroughly recommend you play it in French. The English version is fine, it just makes Arno seem like a bit of a wet fish, in French he's a little different, and it really does make Unity a more authentic experience in French, with appropriate subtitles of course,  I thought.

You'll definitely have the benefit of playing Unity, now that its been patched to within an inch of its life. I've only ever played the fixed version of it, and I've always rather enjoyed it for what it was. If you can play alongside a friend, then its even better!

I must have missed that, I'd be tempted to pay half price for it, so if I see it again I might have to hit purchase. One of these days I ought to get around to Melody of Memories, but I'm pretty useless at rhythm games, so I'm dreading it 1f602.png

I really like Star Wars, but I don't think it will mesh well with Kingdom Hearts. I think the only way to make it work really is for it to be in one of the child friendly IP's like The Clone Wars series, or something like that, anything else might be a bit jarring. I'd be well up for having like Darth Vader as a cameo boss like Sephiroth was, or something like that, so that would be cool at least!

I'd love to say KH4 wouldn't be a day one purchase for me, but I said that about KH3, and got that one day one, so I'm sure I will too haha!

Absolutely! if  you get the itch to dust off your PS3, give Limbo another go, I'm sure you'd probably have a great time with it!

Thank you! I've gotten mostly all of the luck based stuff done now! I've just gone off to play a load of different games and left it sitting there unfinished! Oooops!

I know that feeling all too well - I sometimes just try and push through and do them anyway, because immediately the minute you've done one, you're like.... "oh do I have to really go back and do those again, but ever so slightly differently"

No need to apologise at all! I have been away from the thread for the last two weeks pretty much anyway, so I'm the one that should be apologising to everyone else really haha!

Hope you had a good trip though!

I did play quite a lot in the meantime, got quite a bit of gaming in when I could, now I've got the problem of having a few reviews to catch up on!

You should totally go back for Revelations, it's really good. I'm planning to replay it soon in preparation for the review, and get that last piece of DLC finished.

You're going to have a good time with Ape Escape as well I think, that is a great time! Pretty quick platinum too, but really very fun and light hearted!

Sorry for my really late reply, almost 2 weeks! I've been into gaming mode last week and back to work this one but here i am, gonna try egtting back to my weekly routine! 

I'm happy to know you are one of the Sane persons that prefer the Original Version of Japanese games rather than the english one just because it's his language, i see waaay too many people like that, it's stupid it's just logic, The opposite it's true of course Uncharted or GoW are better in English than japanese it's just their native language.

Ah Yakuza has even English dub now? Didn't even know or wanna know how it is xD 

Oh i wanna 3 50k each post about P4 When you play it :awesome: 

Well, i got GT7 too so i guess now i have 2 Racing games :P And gues si'll play the Ps5 version of Wreckfest at this point, gonna try it out maybe in the coming months!

I see, well i guess it's indeed a good point, i Love the Ezio trilogy in my Language because it's the setting language! So i guess that's true for here too, if it's possible to choose french language and EN (Or IT it's not the Text language that bothers me in my language) text i'll definitively do that! And yeah Unity catchs my interest, the only AC that does, glad to hear now it's in a much better state too! I'll play it alone not having anybody when i'll do you'll see ^_^

Indeed, try checking when there are DLCs sales it usually goes. And well Melody of Meomroy shouldn't be an hard Rhytm game so don't worry even if you're not great at the genre you could plat it no doubt :D 

I Mean i guess sit could work with the Gummiship and stuff but Meh. I don't like space stuff be it star wars trek or whatever so for me the hope is to not see neither Star wars nor superheroes! 

Ah Nostalgia Power always comes back in the end xD Personally as Said no matter what if i can it's D1 KH4 probably the only Blind D1 i can say alreayd i'll get whatever.

Yeah limbo is indeed a great short game, i'll try get back into it, i even have Inside to play.

I see you are still bored to gettign back to dishonored, i understand :awesome: 

Oh don't worry it happens to be away after all! I mean look at me i did the same as you now so this time i'm the one to apologize :P 

I Have to Play Revelations on the Trilogy on Ps4, alreayd played it years ago on Ps3, You remind me of the DLC yeah i coudl get it on Ps3 now actually to 100%.

Well thanks but change of programs i guess :P 

I'll delay Ape escape for a little first Comes Stray on the Genre sinc ei was waiting for it, probably after that Ape escape! 

I see meanwhile you wrote about the Artful Escape, it loooks interesting, being ont he Plus i'll add it in my library! And Congrats on RDR surely one of the most boring and annoying 100% to get out there! 

• Like 1