DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

L5d1a3d.png

The Witness

Holy smokes, man... This was one passionate, interesting write-up! ? I know you liked the game, I just had no idea how much!

Personally, I'm not as big on puzzle games as you seem to be. Regardless, The Witness took me by surprise as well. It is a game I played blind from start to end (because where is the fun in solving puzzles if you look up solutions..), and throroughly enjoyed my time with it. 

However, towards the end, I started feeling more and more irritated... I have mentioned this before, but your metapher above makes total and perfect sense. However, there are two outcomes to building a game like that: 

You can either maintain your excitement for the next puzzle throughout the entire game, or you can grow tired of the lack of positive feedback. In my case, for the most part I was just happy to unlock more and more puzzles, learn about the new puzzle types, and even just walk around in the island. 

But at some point, small details started to bother me. The boat being so slow. The platforms (in the labyrinth section) moving so slowly. And what I felt was the most "insulting", if you want to call it that, were the special rewards. I would have been somewhat fine with no rewards at all. But instead, the reward for solving the secret puzzles (with the notes) are those philosophical videos. I... couldn't believe it ? 

So yeah, let's say I had my ups and downs with the game. Regardless, it is one that definitely managed to... play with my mood. That's not something a lot of games achieve! :)  

Again, fantastic write-up... I really mean it! 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Holy smokes, man... This was one passionate, interesting write-up! 1f633.png I know you liked the game, I just had no idea how much!

I have to admit, - when @grayhammmer put in The Witness as a request, I was like "Uh oh... here we go..." ?

I've known that the Witness had an effect on my that is very unusual in gaming, but it wasn't until now that I've been forced to actually try and articulate exactly what that was - and this one took a lot longer to write than almost any other write up so far ?

Personally, I'm not as big on puzzle games as you seem to be. Regardless, The Witness took me by surprise as well. It is a game I played blind from start to end (because where is the fun in solving puzzles if you look up solutions..), and throroughly enjoyed my time with it. 

However, towards the end, I started feeling more and more irritated... I have mentioned this before, but your metapher above makes total and perfect sense. However, there are two outcomes to building a game like that: 

You can either maintain your excitement for the next puzzle throughout the entire game, or you can grow tired of the lack of positive feedback. In my case, for the most part I was just happy to unlock more and more puzzles, learn about the new puzzle types, and even just walk around in the island. 

I do understand that notion - to be honest, the boat in particular did feel slow to me too - but that was before the "moment" happened for me.

I must admit, I think the particular time that I got the "Moment" - you know the one - was probably perfect and added to the game immeasurably.

I came to it late.

It was just as the game as I understood it was just past cresting - I thought I had an understanding of it, and had built and built to a peak of enjoyment, and was just beginning to taper off in my appreciation - and them it happened.

Basically, that moment was the puzzle-game, intellectual equivalent of hitting the second jump of a double jump at the absolute apex of the first one - it was perfectly timed, and catapulted me high enough to reach the highest 'platform' of appreciation - and it only built from there.

Once I had that realisation that the island was more than it seemed, I must have spent another full 30 hours just walking around it marvelling - and part of that new understanding was the realisation that the game is telling me : "Slow down, Step Back, Don't Rush - Trust Us."

That's part of why this...

But at some point, small details started to bother me. The boat being so slow. The platforms (in the labyrinth section) moving so slowly. And what I felt was the most "insulting", if you want to call it that, were the special rewards. I would have been somewhat fine with no rewards at all. But instead, the reward for solving the secret puzzles (with the notes) are those philosophical videos. I... couldn't believe it 1f602.png 

...didn't bother me - I actually loved it.

Part of that is, of course, that those videos and lectures are certainly something I would have watched anyways - I am a sucker for that kind of philosophical musing, and would certainly have watched them all if they were just TED talks served up to me on YouTube.

I can understand they hold less appeal to other folks who don't share my tastes, but the fact that the game is asking you to slow down to the point of actually stopping - for a good long while - and watching a lecture actually added to the game for me - in a way that almost any other game would have made me tune out if it did the same thing - (After all, I'm the guy who complained vehemently about over-long MGS cutscenes ?)

So yeah, let's say I had my ups and downs with the game. Regardless, it is one that definitely managed to... play with my mood. That's not something a lot of games achieve! :)  

Again, fantastic write-up... I really mean it! 

I appreciate that mate! ☺️

I know the game can't be for everyone (no game can) - but despite the difficulty in articulating what I love about this one, I am glad I got to put that down on paper (well, e-paper I guess ?)

I do know I'm not likely to change anyone's mind who played it when it came out and didn't love it, but I've seen so many people dismiss the game as "just a bunch of easy puzzles", and that kills me.

The Witness is maybe the only game that makes me get genuinely angry when I see people complaining that the "Challenge" at the end is too hard, and fishing for someone to Shareplay it - then looking at their trophies and realising - they just followed a walkthrough or looked up a symbol key. They not only missed an incredible experience, but they did it by debasing one of my favourite enrtries in a medium I love ??

Imagine deliberately missing out on such a profound lesson and toolset for life?! How Dare They!?!?! ?

I had to put across the point of view of someone who was actually profoundly moved and affected by the game.

I genuinely do think of it during my work life, or parenting life, and think the lessons burned deep enough to slightly alter my outlook generally - that has to count for something!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

What a wonderful love letter to the Witness that was... That sounds like a tremendous experience. Another one I really should have played by now, but just never quite have yet. Great stuff all around man!! Thoroughly enjoyed that.

That was an interesting take on Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - what an unnecessary addition to an already fairly well bookended trilogy. I don't want to be that guy that makes some pedantic point or anything, but.............  ? If memory serves me correct, which maybe it doesn't ?- I believe Forgotten Sands is actually set between the first and the second game in the Sands of time trilogy, so Two Thrones ending does at least remain the definitive end point. It doesn't get cancelled out by Forgotten Sands.

So Forgotten Sands is around the time when The Prince discovered Linkin Park, eyeliner and wallet chains. Setting it in between Sands of Time and Warrior Within, does at least give a little more credence to why The Prince might have gotten slightly darker and more jaded going into Warrior Within, when you factor in what transpires in Forgotten Sands - but ultimately did it need to exist? Probably not. I would have preferred a sequel to the 2008 one. Although if I hadn't replayed it last year, I don't think I'd ever have expected to say that.

It was awesome seeing you give some love to the vid comic bits in Ratchet 3 - I really dug those too, I see that get quite a lot of hate directed at it. I always found them a pretty decent change in gameplay. I really enjoyed the last one specifically, the one with the rising goop? Water? Lava whatever it was. Some of Quark and Nefarious' dialogue in that really made me laugh.

Awesome stuff as ever!!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

What a wonderful love letter to the Witness that was... That sounds like a tremendous experience. Another one I really should have played by now, but just never quite have yet. Great stuff all around man!! Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Oh, it's a real treat  - certainly one worth setting some time aside for though- I was lucky in a way, I was excited for it anyway (I was a big fan of Braid, so was on board for whatever JB did next) but it happened to come out the day MsBloodmoney went away with my (at the time) infant son for a week with the grandparents, so I had the house to myself for a week.

By the time I was done, the place looked like a mad serial killers lair - it was covered in post-it notes, wacky diagrams, symbols, empty pizza boxes - if anyone had peeks through the window they probably would have called the cops - or homeland security ?

That was an interesting take on Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - what an unnecessary addition to an already fairly well bookended trilogy. I don't want to be that guy that makes some pedantic point or anything, but.............  1f606.png If memory serves me correct, which maybe it doesn't 1f914.png- I believe Forgotten Sands is actually set between the first and the second game in the Sands of time trilogy, so Two Thrones ending does at least remain the definitive end point. It doesn't get cancelled out by Forgotten Sands.

God, is that true? That totally slipped past me - I didn't even realise that was what they were doing :facepalm:

So Forgotten Sands is around the time when The Prince discovered Linkin Park, eyeliner and wallet chains. Setting it in between Sands of Time and Warrior Within, does at least give a little more credence to why The Prince might have gotten slightly darker and more jaded going into Warrior Within, when you factor in what transpires in Forgotten Sands - but ultimately did it need to exist? Probably not. I would have preferred a sequel to the 2008 one. Although if I hadn't replayed it last year, I don't think I'd ever have expected to say that.

TBH, that actually raises more questions for me than it answers though - if that's the case, then it seems strange they did so little to really tie it back into the timeline - though I guess that means the game is actually set in a time already shown to have been erased? Way to make your game have no stakes! ?

Wait... should the Dahaka not be chasing him in this one then? Did I just forget something? I can't recall him being featured in The Forgotten Sands - though I may have.... forgotten?

It was awesome seeing you give some love to the vid comic bits in Ratchet 3 - I really dug those too, I see that get quite a lot of hate directed at it. I always found them a pretty decent change in gameplay. I really enjoyed the last one specifically, the one with the rising goop? Water? Lava whatever it was. Some of Quark and Nefarious' dialogue in that really made me laugh.

Is that true? That seems odd to me - I really liked those sections - yeah, they were definitely a little less finessed than the main game, but I've always liked when primarily 3D games put some 2D iseciton in to breakout up - I remember El Shaddai doing that really well. Mostly though, the overblown narration of Quarks heroics really made me laugh at times - I love that kind of Zapp Brannigan stuff they do with him, and those sections were among the best of that I recall from the ones I've played! 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

By the time I was done, the place looked like a mad serial killers lair - it was covered in post-it notes, wacky diagrams, symbols, empty pizza boxes - if anyone had peeks through the window they probably would have called the cops - or homeland security 

Haha!! That's brilliant - That sounds  a little like when I spent virtually a week in the house on my own playing The Witcher 3 for close to 10 hours a day... I think I ate my own weight in Pizza that week. ?

Less mystery, intrigue and puzzle solving involved in The Witcher though, so no post it notes for me. Needed more room for the extra pizza boxes anyway.

The Witness definitely seems like something I need to dive head first into, in the future though.

I should have added that was a nice write up of Enigmatis 3 as well - I don't think I've played one of the Artifex Mundi series up to this point, that's quite hit the heights that the Enigmatis trilogy did. From my limited experiences of them, It tends to be, one series has one really standout entry, then some decent to middling ones. Whereas Enigmatis, I found, I really enjoyed all 3 of them - probably helped I'm a sucker for those, less than stellar Sherlock Holmes titles.

God, is that true? That totally slipped past me - I didn't even realise that was what they were doing :facepalm:

I just checked to make sure - so  that tonight I wouldn't end up cooking at gas mark egg on my face, ?  it is indeed the case. As you pointed out though it does raise way more questions than answers.

TBH, that actually raises more questions for me than it answers though - if that's the case, then it seems strange they did so little to really tie it back into the timeline - though I guess that means the game is actually set in a time already shown to have been erased? Way to make your game have no stakes! 1f602.png

Wait... should the Dahaka not be chasing him in this one then? Did I just forget something? I can't recall him being featured in The Forgotten Sands - though I may have.... forgotten?

I guess they gave themselves a little bit of wiggle room - apparently it is set somewhere in the seven years between Sands and Warrior Within. I mean, if I had to choose I'd rather that, than have it set after Two Thrones, because that does rather undermine the rest of the trilogy, if it happened after.

I thought the same thing about the Dahaka when I played it years ago - I had assumed the Dahaka had been chasing him during all of the time between Sands and Warrior Within, so before playing Forgotten Sands I wholly expected him to pop up at some point and chase you during that game. Funnily enough, that could have made for some really great sections, changing water into ice in  quick succession,  to try and get away from him and the like.

Is that true? That seems odd to me - I really liked those sections - yeah, they were definitely a little less finessed than the main game, but I've always liked when primarily 3D games put some 2D iseciton in to breakout up - I remember El Shaddai doing that really well. Mostly though, the overblown narration of Quarks heroics really made me laugh at times - I love that kind of App Brannigan stuff they do with him, and those sections were among the best of that I recall from the ones I've played! 

It is - although I've probably seen more people complain about the difficulty than anything. I  Thought that was a bit of a head scratcher myself, as apart from collecting all the tokens in one run, nothing about that seemed difficult. Then again, difficulty is subjective isn't it.

The narration is precisely why it never bothered me if I failed a section, because it was genuinely very funny, even if I'd heard it plenty of times. That's a great comparison there to Zapp Brannigan haha! ?

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Ah, The Witness... this game also had a big impact on my life as a gamer... obtaining the plat was the catalyst for the last five or six years now of my life with the hobby of trophy hunting.

P.S. the trophy guide is ok.

I never realised you were the one to make that!

Man… 

… now I feel a little bad for constantly telling people to never use a guide for that game, no matter what?

I saw you made very liberal use of the spoiler function though - for which I wholeheartedly salute you - and to be fair, it’s a really well put together guide! Congrats!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I should have added that was a nice write up of Enigmatis 3 as well - I don't think I've played one of the Artifex Mundi series up to this point, that's quite hit the heights that the Enigmatis trilogy did. From my limited experiences of them, It tends to be, one series has one really standout entry, then some decent to middling ones. Whereas Enigmatis, I found, I really enjoyed all 3 of them - probably helped I'm a sucker for those, less than stellar Sherlock Holmes titles.

Thanks for that man - Yeah, I've certainly chewed through quite a few of the Artifex Mundi fare at this point (the PS ones on this list are only the half of it - I played a lot of these on iPad too - where I still think they are actually a lot better suited... bu, y'know, trophies yo ?) - and the Enigmatis ones are definitely stand out in the pack.

It's funny you mention a penchant for those Frogware Sherlock Holmes games actually - they don't have a lot of crossover on the surface, but there defiantly seems to be a some overlap in the Venn Diagram somewhere, as I've notice those are popular among a lot of the same crowd for some reason.

Certainly, a lot of fans of Artifex Mundi are fans of the those too.

Anecdotally, I've noticed a lot of folks who like both of those seem to be the ones who grew up loving either Gabriel Knight (the old Sierra Noir-Detective Adventure games) or - and especially - the Nancy Drew PC games.

I guess they appeal to those willing to prioritise good, solid puzzle and 'detective work' type gameplay over visuals, maybe? Or at least, those who can laugh at the stilted visuals and dialogue, but still be along for the ride, and not feel taken out of it by those aspects!

Certainly Artifex Mundi (and those Nancy Drew games) were never going to win any awards for their visuals (aside from a gaming-razzie ?) , but they're games that have a very satisfying, simple loop - like doing a crossword or a sudoku or a picross or something of that ilk. 

Actually, those Frogware Sherlock Holmes games are similar (albeit with a toe dipped a little more in the 'big game' pool) - though if anything, that actually seems to hurt them a little.

I maintain that if something with the style and visuals of, say, an LA Noire had exactly the same core gameplay as those games, they would be considered great - it's just the budgetary and technical and visual stuff that keeps them in the 'B-Game' category - but because they look to be in the same category as bigger budget games, they suffer from a 'small fish in a big pool' situation, whereas Artifex Mundi don't. No one is judging Artifex Mundi stuff in comparison to AAA, so they get to exist on their own merits, within their own specific category, but the Frogware stuff wanders into the big-game-turf, and gets beaten to a pulp ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

I guess they appeal to those willing to prioritise good, solid puzzle and 'detective work' type gameplay over visuals, maybe?

I always read all of the things you put in the batches, even if it's something I've not played. I  struggle to put it all under one big blanket statement. Especially so, if there's so many interesting points you made about the games, that I'm either curious about, or want to have a little mini discussion about. That's why that Enigmatis 3 thing might have seemed a bit tacked on

That's certainly the thing that got me hooked on those kind of games, and very much still is the case. In fact if I remember right, the PC exclusive Sherlock titles.  The ones pre Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper at least, those probably had even more in common with Artifex Mundi titles than the latter ones tended to. Even visually.

Don't worry by the way, I'm replying to the whole thing - I just wanted to pluck something out that won't take up a huge amount of space. Great point by the way.. It's really interesting to look at the Artifex Mundi titles in that context, I guess it's something I'd never really thought about.

I'm definitely going to be playing more Artifex Mundi titles, because I usually find them really enjoyable, apart from one of the Eventide games I didn't quite get on with. But I played it after a really long day at work, in one sitting - which admittedly was probably not the smartest time to play it.

I don't think the visuals in Artifex Mundi games are all that bad (or is it more, I've just gotten used to them)  - although, you could definitely make the argument that for games released on the PS4, they arguably definitely aren't up to snuff. I think, like you alluded to, people just tend to live with them in favour of a satisfying gameplay loop.

There's a few times where the limited visuals work as a strength, I think it works really well in My Brother Rabbit - even if parts of that game don't quite hit the heights that they perhaps wanted to. Some of it visually is incredibly cleverly done, if anything it benefited from not having a lot of cutscenes - as it allowed them to put some very specific attention to detail in some of the backdrops in the areas.

I think you're completely right about the fact that if that same gameplay was implemented in a title with a bigger budget, it would probably be much more lauded critically. I think over ambition might be Frogwares problem to an extent - or at the very least; if not ambition, a very deliberate desire to be considered amongst the big hitters, and ultimately it does end up hurting the product a little bit.

Personally, I think them trying to modernise the gameplay in their recent Sherlock Holmes titles have hurt them a little bit too. I can certainly understand why they did that, but some of the elements end up feeling a bit tacked on, instead of just organic game evolution. I'm so curious to see how well Frogwares handles an open world detective game in The Sinking City  - so I'll probably play that soon. I might have dug out Frogwares over ambition a bit, but I always love to see when developers are so obviously trying, even if it doesn't always hit the heights they'd like it too.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

I've played games like Gradius or Prince of Persia. I think I've understood them... they're about girls, right?

I'm not the biggest puzzle person, but I do believe you've guided me into the arms of The Witness.

You're so romantic!

Gotta say I get a real kick out of your second and third generation reviews. I share your fascination of video game history, and if anybody ever knocked on your door saying "we need a curator for our video game museum, can you help us??" all I can tell you is to pack the fam and go wherever they tell you without a second's thought. You're dead on about the music too, although amusingly enough I went to YouTube and an ad started playing, and for a split second I thought "this is from '85??"

Me? Me dumb. You smart. Good words?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

I'm not the biggest puzzle person, but I do believe you've guided me into the arms of The Witness.

Oh man - I can’t tell you how happy it makes me to think I could have encouraged someone to give it a go! ☺️

One thing I’ll advise you - actually, I’ll implore you! - if you are planning on diving in - don’t read anything more about it. Don’t research, don’t look up trophies or anything (for what it’s worth, it’s a simple trophy list - just playing the game is enough to plat) - just try and avoid all related media before you do.

Try as hard as you can to go in and play blind - it’s worth it!

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

You're dead on about the music too, although amusingly enough I went to YouTube and an ad started playing, and for a split second I thought "this is from '85??"

Tha Gradius soundtrack is off the hook, right!?

I remembered it being good, but going back for a blast of it really brought in focus how close it gets to some of that classic 16-bit stuff - a little less nuanced since the sound chip was obviously less advanced - but it shows there were some great composers of digital music working in the medium even back then!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Oh man - I can’t tell you how happy it makes me to think I could have encouraged someone to give it a go! 263a.png

One thing I’ll advise you - actually, I’ll implore you! - if you are planning on diving in - don’t read anything more about it. Don’t research, don’t look up trophies or anything (for what it’s worth, it’s a simple trophy list - just playing the game is enough to plat) - just try and avoid all related media before you do.

Try as hard as you can to go in and play blind - it’s worth it!

I'm not the brightest fella but I'm definitely down to give it a shot! Honestly the developers of the games in your top 30 need to send you PR packages so you can give them write-ups to sell their new games. You've made so many games I wouldn't normally think of as my taste sound utterly tantalizing. Like... a puzzle game?? How the hell did you make me want to do that??

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Tha Gradius soundtrack is off the hook, right!?

I remembered it being good, but going back for a blast of it really brought in focus how close it gets to some of that classic 16-bit stuff - a little less nuanced since the sound chip was obviously less advanced - but it shows there were some great composers of digital music working in the medium even back then!

It really does sound startlingly sharp, it's on par with the heights of the NES (for some reason I'm reminded of my near lifelong love of the original Batman game soundtrack). As much as music in games has progressed, the games from back then with solid soundtracks absolutely still hold their own. After all, chiptune didn't become its own genre for nuffin!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Like... a puzzle game?? How the hell did you make me want to do that??

@DrBloodmoney can you do a write up if a JRPG and make one of those sound good? It's funny how most people will absolutely not have a well-rounded game collection. If Smevz doesn't play many puzzle games, then my equivalent is JRPGs.

Smevz, have you played Portal 1 or 2? Or Return of the Obra Dinn? Those would be other must-play puzzlers to dip your toe into the genre.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

@DrBloodmoney can you do a write up if a JRPG and make one of those sound good? It's funny how most people will absolutely not have a well-rounded game collection. If Smevz doesn't play many puzzle games, then my equivalent is JRPGs.

Hmmm, well... 

... certainly I grew up on a far few jpgs - I'd certainly have ranked Chronotrigger, FFVI,  Illusion of Gaia and Earthbound among my favourite games of the 16-bit era, but I must admit, my experience with the genre's a little lacking on the more modern stuff. Certainly, for that genre, your main men on the Trophy Checklist side would certainly be @rjkclarke, @The_Kopite, @Baker & a few others, whos knowledge of the other big JRPG series leaves mine in the dust.

...having said that - I do have some eligible.

Theres already a Final Fantasy XIII review up in Batch 9 - and of the ones not already ranked, the few ones I have S-Ranked (and are therefore eligible) I can see off the bat would be:

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VII Remake (not really a traditional JRG - more of a Character Action game really)

Final Fantasy X HD

Final Fantasy XIII-2

I Am Setsuna

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

Persona 4 Golden

Persona 5 Royal

Ys: Memories of Celceta

Cosmic Star Heroine

Child of Light (a bit of a stretch)

Cat Quest (a bit of a stretch)

So, I guess take your pick and I'll add one to the Priority Ranking! ☺️?

Smevz, have you played Portal 1 or 2? Or Return of the Obra Dinn? Those would be other must-play puzzlers to dip your toe into the genre.

Absolutely - all great games!

Portal 2 in particular could be a good "gateway drug" to puzzle games, especially for those more used to narrative focussed games? 

It has an incredibly funny and engaging story to go along with the puzzle element. Obviously, it's best to play Portal first - which would mean hunting down a copy of The Orange box on PS3 - though I think it's probably easier to just download steam - Portal would probably run on basically any system at this point, and it's only a couple of hours long

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

I did play Portal 2, that was a lot of fun! A friend and I played that with a few times. I'd be lying if I said I got terribly far but I enjoyed what I played. As I recall, the good Doctor gave Obra Dinn quite a glowing review... crap. Am I a closet puzzle lover and never knew it??

....probably not. But no sense in missing out on good games!

46 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

... certainly I grew up on a far few jpgs - I'd certainly have ranked Chronotrigger, FFVI,  Illusion of Gaia and Earthbound among my favourite games of the 16-bit era, but I must admit, my experience with the genre's a little lacking on the more modern stuff.

Same. My expertise fizzles out pretty quickly after about 1995?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

I will probably five P5 and FFVII and IX (the PS1 versions) a go over the next couple of years. If you could add P5R to your list I'd be greatful to hear your take please :)

Absolutely my good man - flagging with your name right now ??

That one might be a longer one, so may save it for a batch or two, but should be in the next couple ?

EDIT - actually, I think I will really need to do Persona 4 Golden before I do Persona 5 Royal, just to have some context to work from, so I will flag that one with your name too - just to get the ball rolling!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

I like how the bottom four games have fared so poorly that even a non-game was able to best them. Weirdly makes me wish Sneak King was eligible for ranking?

Your description of Knee Deep grabbed me a bit; the concept of a play within a game structure sounds really interesting (not to mention that I loved all three movies you referenced, whether the game itself took those sorts of creative liberties or not), and I've been thinking about giving said genre another chance. I might have to take a look. In the very least a passing glance!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I like how the bottom four games have fared so poorly that even a non-game was able to best them. Weirdly makes me wish Sneak King was eligible for ranking1f602.png

it's true, the formulae is sound:

No Game + Cats > No Game > Space Overlords

?

2 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Your description of Knee Deep grabbed me a bit; the concept of a play within a game structure sounds really interesting (not to mention that I loved all three movies you referenced, whether the game itself took those sorts of creative liberties or not), and I've been thinking about giving said genre another chance. I might have to take a look. In the very least a passing glance!

Hey - I'm actually very glad to hear that!

Knee Deep is an odd one that kinda falls between the cracks - it's hard to recommend on quality, as it is fine, but not stand-out, but also hard to recommend on "Oh, this is so bad it's good" because, well, it isn't bad. It's fine.

What it is, though, is really peculiar - and actually, "really peculiar" is worth recommending too - it's just not a metric most folks value until they see it!

I'd say, go in knowing what you are in for - something that doesn't always work perfectly, or stand out on quality, but it has some really strange ideas, and those carry a fairy standard game a few notches further than it would otherwise

• Like 2