DrBloodmoney's Super Scientific Ranking of Games!

DrBloodmoney

The Surge was a great game but being able to get back more scrap than you had dropped, providing your time limit was above a certain amount, somewhat breaks the game. I don’t mind admitting I abused this mechanic which meant I could use all the best cores as soon as I got them making the difficulty pretty much trivial. Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the game even if it was a very short game (though I did do 2 full playthroughs instead of backing up my save to get the second endingon my first playthrough).

I would also like to nominate Middle-Earth: Shadow Of Mordor as it’s one of the best and most entertaining gaming experiences I’ve ever had (at least it was after I started playing more stealthily since going in swords blazing kept getting me killed).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FilmFanatic said:

The Surge was a great game but being able to get back more scrap than you had dropped, providing your time limit was above a certain amount, somewhat breaks the game. I don’t mind admitting I abused this mechanic which meant I could use all the best cores as soon as I got them making the difficulty pretty much trivial. Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the game even if it was a very short game (though I did do 2 full playthroughs instead of backing up my save to get the second endingon my first playthrough).

Ha - I didn't know that was a thing - I can't say I ever noticed it happening - was it something that was patched out eventually maybe?

1 hour ago, FilmFanatic said:

I would also like to nominate Middle-Earth: Shadow Of Mordor as it’s one of the best and most entertaining gaming experiences I’ve ever had (at least it was after I started playing more stealthily since going in swords blazing kept getting me killed).

Marked for priority with your name ?

31 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Ha - I didn't know that was a thing - I can't say I ever noticed it happening - was it something that was patched out eventually maybe?

Marked for priority with your name 1f44d.png

No it’s a game mechanic. If you had at least 5 minutes (I think it was) on your timer you’d get an extra 50% scrap on top of what you dropped. In fact the easiest place to do it was right at the start of the game. It starts off slow but builds up pretty once you get into the hundreds of thousands of scrap. Not sure if that mechanic is in the second game but if it is I won’t abuse it again lol.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

No it’s a game mechanic. If you had at least 5 minutes (I think it was) on your timer you’d get an extra 50% scrap on top of what you dropped. In fact the easiest place to do it was right at the start of the game. It starts off slow but builds up pretty once you get into the hundreds of thousands of scrap. Not sure if that mechanic is in the second game but if it is I won’t abuse it again lol.

TBH, you probably wouldn't need to abuse anything in the second game - it is a much less difficult game overall - they introduce a 'directional blocking' mechanic to the fighting, which is actually a pretty cool and fun mechanic to use, but it does have a tendency to trivialise boss fights a bit, as once you learn their patterns, you can pretty much no-hit them, as perfect directional blocks not only negate all incoming damage, but stun bosses after a certain number in a row.

The second one is a good game, but not quite as good as the first one  - I enjoyed it, but it's much less memorable - I remember much more of the first one off the top of my head, even though I played it 3 years prior!

I liked Andromeda. I went into it with extremely low expectations so ended up being pleasantly surprised. I think the comparison with Dragon Age: Inquisition is fair, but I personally much preferred Andromeda. My only major beef with ME:A was that many of the locations you explore already have stuff from the original universe in them. There wasn't that feeling that you are the first person ever to have visited an area and in a game about exploration, that lack of a feeling of exploration was an issue.

I thought you gave a very fair review of Skyrim. The game in't perfect but it just has so much replayability value and is so huge both in terms of map size and in terms of content that it deserves to place fairly high.

I'm looking forward to your Shadow of Mordor analysis because I hate this game and I'm curious to read if there is something I've missed. The 'swamping' style of combat is just something that stresses the hell out of me. In real life, even something as banal as multiple requests to do the washing up will get me sweaty and bothered so I really can't cope with dozens of orcs appearing our of the woodwork every time I stop to pick my nose or admire the view! Anyway, I'm sure after your expert analysis it'll all become clear to me and I'll be able to go back and clear this monstrosity from my backlog!! 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

I liked Andromeda. I went into it with extremely low expectations so ended up being pleasantly surprised. I think the comparison with Dragon Age: Inquisition is fair, but I personally much preferred Andromeda. My only major beef with ME:A was that many of the locations you explore already have stuff from the original universe in them. There wasn't that feeling that you are the first person ever to have visited an area and in a game about exploration, that lack of a feeling of exploration was an issue.

Yeah - they definitely cheat their own premise a bit by having Sara get revived several years later than the first batch.

I can understand why - they obviously felt they needed some kind of ‘established’ colony world stuff to work with and some ‘pre-existing’ conflicts they could use as mission kick-offs… but you’re absolutely right - it completely destroys the one thing Andromeda could have had that the original trilogy couldn’t - a feeling of genuine ‘pioneering’.

From a narrative point of view, I can’t really see what they should have done different from the Andromeda Initiative point of view - but if there were a couple more indigenous races that would have gone a long way to disguising it better - they could have minimised how much it felt like colonisation had already happened in the Pathfinder’s absence, and allowed much more genuine ‘wonder and discovery’ - which were absolutely the highlights of the game… there just wasn’t enough of them.

I thought you gave a very fair review of Skyrim. The game in't perfect but it just has so much replayability value and is so huge both in terms of map size and in terms of content that it deserves to place fairly high.

Yeah - It’s still a great game for sure (lord knows, I’ve spent at least 200 hours in it!) - but I do think Fallout just fundamentally has more avenues that they are able to take missions - and a much deeper well from with to draw lore.

Skyrim requires a massive buy-in to a very specific lore without any ‘real-world’ entrypoint, whereas Fallout always has that “what was happening before all this” aspect to add extra flavour to everything around you.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Having trouble deciding whether Demon's Souls for PS5 should be reviewed and ranked separately from the original PS3 version that has already been placed - like I did with Shadow of the Colossus.

Points in favour:

• The game is a remarkable upgrade visually
  • The frame rate improvements are a fairly big change for the better - and do affect gameplay to some extent.
  • Like Shadow of the Colossus, this is inarguably the 'correct' version for people to play now, and it wholly surpasses the already excellent original game.

Points against:

• The original already ranked very high, as even the frame rate issues were not as big a detriment as Shadow of the Colossus' were.
  • There are fewer material changes than Shadow of the Colossus (control scheme / correction of actual errors in the original etc.)
  • The different placements would likely be more marginal

Any thoughts from the gallery?

My complete and honest advice would be YES review it and rank it separately. 

Reasons why, besides the ones you mentioned:

• Different studio - how did they manage to hold up in comparison to FromSoftware
  • New audio tracks - is the new Maiden Astraea OST better than the old one? Want your input here xD 
  • Online (if you managed to invade, praise Umbasa)
  • Atmosphere in this new one compared to the old one - Tower of Latria baby, you know you love that level!

And so on and so forth - The masses(me - i am fat ok?) DEMAND a review ?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

I say review it and see if the upgrades change it’s position. Then again I’ve platted all 4 lists so maybe my opinions biased :P

1 minute ago, Copanele said:

My complete and honest advice would be YES review it and rank it separately. 

Reasons why, besides the ones you mentioned:

• Different studio - how did they manage to hold up in comparison to FromSoftware
  • New audio tracks - is the new Maiden Astraea OST better than the old one? Want your input here xD 
  • Online (if you managed to invade, praise Umbasa)
  • Atmosphere in this new one compared to the old one - Tower of Latria baby, you know you love that level!

And so on and so forth - The masses(me - i am fat ok?) DEMAND a review 1f602.png

Good points - maybe the way I'll do it is to just do a sort of 'changes' mini review...

along the lines of:

"No longer hear the same scream over and over in the Prison of Latria - 0/10 :jaymon:"

?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Good points - maybe the way I'll do it is to just do a sort of 'changes' mini review...

along the lines of:

"No longer hear the same scream over and over in the Prison of Latria - 0/10 :jaymon:"

1f602.png

They removed the "HRNNNHHHHHAHHHH" diarrhea yell of Lord Rydell? BLASPHEMY!

0/10 no Umbasa for the game 

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Copanele said:

They removed the "HRNNNHHHHHAHHHH" diarrhea yell of Lord Rydell? BLASPHEMY!

0/10 no Umbasa for the game 

they did - and it shows just how engrained that sound was from the original that Ms Bloodmoney (Who, upon my playing the game, and her hearing the Maiden say "touch the demon inside me" whipped her head around and proclaimed "Uh, that bitch again - I though you finished this game ages ago!") saw me enter the prison, and actually said "Is that guy still whining in here?" ?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Any thoughts from the gallery?

Having never played the game, I think a review that highlights what is different from the main game would kind of neat, especially when it comes to which version I should eventually get around too.  Though it looks like you've already answered that, I am interested to know what I will miss playing a newer version vs. the old.

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

they did - and it shows just how engrained that sound was from the original that Ms Bloodmoney (Who, upon my playing the game, and her hearing the Maiden say "touch the demon inside me" whipped her head around and proclaimed "Uh, that bitch again - I though you finished this game ages ago!") saw me enter the prison, and actually said "Is that guy still whining in here?" 1f602.png

A bit off topic, but the snark on Ms. Bloodmoney is great and sounds hilarious ??

• Like 1

Just now, Together_Comic said:

Having never played the game, I think a review that highlights what is different from the main game would kind of neat, especially when it comes to which version I should eventually get around too.  Though it looks like you've already answered that, I am interested to know what I will miss playing a newer version vs. the old.

I must admit - I haven't finished the first cycle of the new version yet - I'm maybe 15ish hours in and taking my time - but I have explored a fair amount of the game, and from what I've seen, I personally think it is categorically the version to play now - Bluepoint have really maintained their crown, in terms of being able to make some aetsthetic and minor stylistic changes, but without losing any of the greatness of the game.

Just now, Together_Comic said:

A bit off topic, but the snark on Ms. Bloodmoney is great and sounds hilarious 1f602.png1f602.png

She does outdo herself sometimes!

It always cracks me up how - since she hears much more of the games I play than actually sees them, given that she likes to sit with me and faff about on her iPad - she comes to identify certain games purely by whatever sound most annoys her in them ? 

to this day, she still calls Dishonoured "Enhanced Eyes", calls Heavy Rain "The Jason! game" and when I was playing The Last of Us II , she didn't really care about that game, but immediately recognised - when you come across the girl playing the Vita - that it was Hotline Miami she was playing purely based on the soundtrack playing ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Here, the visuals are a massive step forward, but everything else takes a back seat to them, ands results in a short game with little to no replay value. 

Wow! Crazy to see A Rift Apart ranked so poorly. I can see why after reading your review though. Reading it reminded me a lot of inFamous Second Son, a massive step up visually but ultimately failed to surpass the quality of the first two entries.

Funny seeing Sniper Ghost Warrior being reviewed as well. Man, it’s multiplayer was an absolute abomination! I’m playing through the second one now, I think it’ll be the last ‘Sniper’ game I ever play. ? Once you’ve played one, you’ve kind of played them all!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GraniteSnake said:

Wow! Crazy to see A Rift Apart ranked so poorly. I can see why after reading your review though. Reading it reminded me a lot of inFamous Second Son, a massive step up visually but ultimately failed to surpass the quality of the first two entries.

Yeah - it's not a terrible game by any stretch - I just think it is destined to be completely forgotten once visuals generally catch up to the point that it isn't a stand-out on that front. 

In it's favour though - I will say - I'd love Rivet to stick around and be in more games, as I liked her as a character - and in a better narrative, I think she could really be an asset!

Funny seeing Sniper Ghost Warrior being reviewed as well. Man, it’s multiplayer was an absolute abomination! I’m playing through the second one now, I think it’ll be the last ‘Sniper’ game I ever play. 1f602.png Once you’ve played one, you’ve kind of played them all!

You know - this one killed any desire for me to check out more sniper games - though I have heard that the other franchise - Sniper Elite is a little more varied, and a little less... fucking awful ?

That MP though - jeebus. What a pile of mince!

I literally cannot believe that there was a time I was willing to grind that out just for a platinum - those days are long gone now!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on Prince of Persia (2008) above, as I finished the trilogy a few months back and have had this one sitting at the top of my PS3 backlog for awhile. The cell shaded graphics and the redesigned platforming look really unique, and after reading your thoughts on the game I’m pretty much sold on making it one of my next PS3 platinums.

I think this is my first time popping in here and I must say I am very impressed with the eloquence and depth to your reviews and thoughts on your games. I think many of these so called “professional” video game critics and reviewers could take a page from your book. Glancing at your list here I can see there are dozens of games that I either haven’t played, or which have collecting dust in my backlog for some time. I will certainly be skimming through and looking for your rankings on some of them to help me figure out which ones I should be prioritizing or hunting down copies of.

Keep up the good scientific work, Doctor. ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dieselmanchild said:

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on Prince of Persia (2008) above, as I finished the trilogy a few months back and have had this one sitting at the top of my PS3 backlog for awhile. The cell shaded graphics and the redesigned platforming look really unique, and after reading your thoughts on the game I’m pretty much sold on making it one of my next PS3 platinums.

I think this is my first time popping in here and I must say I am very impressed with the eloquence and depth to your reviews and thoughts on your games. I think many of these so called “professional” video game critics and reviewers could take a page from your book. Glancing at your list here I can see there are dozens of games that I either haven’t played, or which have collecting dust in my backlog for some time. I will certainly be skimming through and looking for your rankings on some of them to help me figure out which ones I should be prioritizing or hunting down copies of.

Keep up the good scientific work, Doctor. 1f44d.png

Thank you very much mate - that’s very nice of you to say ?

On Prince of Persia - yeah, a very peculiar game that one - but one I definitely enjoyed - certainly more than the general consensus on it anyways!

(I’m just waiting for @Copanele to come in and denounce the science forever as a result of that opinion? ?)

Though - I do wonder how much people actually disliked it at the time, vs, it being pure reaction to the (genuinely disgusting) separation of the end of the game for seperate ‘DLC’ sale - it’s maybe the most egregious example of that practice ever done, outside of maybe Asura’s Wrath, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the bad taste it left in people’s mouths just soured them to every aspect of the game by association!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It is a fascinating system, and one that I am baffled has not ben adopted by more games post- Shadow of Mordor. It takes what is a mechanically sound, fun, but never narratively or aesthetically astounding game, and turns it into a blisteringly fun, exciting, variable and - most importantly - personal - emergent-story-based combat game.

I'm pretty sure that the Nemesis system has been patented so other games (outside of WB Games), literally can't use it. There was a big hullaballoo some time ago about it. 

Nothing that I had played this time, but either way, great reviews as always.  Sad to see that Into the Nexus was pretty forgettable. With that in mind, I feel a bit more justified in waiting on an upgrading to the PS5 yet though (not that I imagine that I would have a lot of choice in that regard ?).  None of the new games seem to be absolute must plays yet.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

I'm pretty sure that the Nemesis system has been patented so other games (outside of WB Games), literally can't use it. There was a big hullaballoo some time ago about it. 

Man - what a sucky move if that’s the case - and absolutely ridiculous considering the game that birthed it got where it is by making use of a very clearly influenced combat mechanic from another studio!

16 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

Nothing that I had played this time, but either way, great reviews as always.  Sad to see that Into the Nexus was pretty forgettable. With that in mind, I feel a bit more justified in waiting on an upgrading to the PS5 yet though (not that I imagine that I would have a lot of choice in that regard 1f602.png).  None of the new games seem to be absolute must plays yet.  

Haha - see? Rift Apart is so forgettable that you forgot it’s name in the time it took to type this response!

??

• Like 1

On Prince of Persia - yeah, a very peculiar game that one - but one I definitely enjoyed - certainly more than the general consensus on it anyways!

(I’m just waiting for @Copanele to come in and denounce the science forever as a result of that opinion1f631.png 1f602.png)

Actually, I did not dislike the game! Other than the Prince being the dudebro who does "hey baberella" jokes and cracks some Monster energy drinks with his trusted friend the donkey, game had a lot of charm. Especially Elika who goddamn if she wasn't one of the better written females in videogames.

Agreed with the scientific paper fully, game had beautiful visuals, fun platforming and horrible DLC (yes, Asura's Wrath was WAY worse. Played it and my god Capcom had some utterly scumbag - ish practices.)

About the difficulty xD I found it to be a huge minus from my point of view, but I also agree with you. That's because you LOVE puzzles and I LOVE Action based games, which is a matter of taste :D So yeah, the fact that I couldn't die kinda made me approach the game in a "brute force" kind of way, applying a solution until it worked. Baboon applies hammer to problem until solution.

So yeah, great scientific report as usual. No complaints there. Also big thumbs up for Bloodborne. Good game, but you can't Powerstance helicopter slash Laurence like in DS2 ?.

Now...to push the science further beyond...I have a request: Far Cry Primal. I had a sort of divisive opinion as in, I actually enjoyed that game. Curious to see your take on that one :D 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Actually, I did not dislike the game! Other than the Prince being the dudebro who does "hey baberella" jokes and cracks some Monster energy drinks with his trusted friend the donkey, game had a lot of charm. Especially Elika who goddamn if she wasn't one of the better written females in videogames.

haha - I think that just shows what a weird legacy that game has - I guess I just assumed that you being a big fan of the Sands of Time trilogy, you would have baulked at the 2008 one - glad I was wrong!

Agreed with the scientific paper fully, game had beautiful visuals, fun platforming and horrible DLC (yes, Asura's Wrath was WAY worse. Played it and my god Capcom had some utterly scumbag - ish practices.)

About the difficulty xD I found it to be a huge minus from my point of view, but I also agree with you. That's because you LOVE puzzles and I LOVE Action based games, which is a matter of taste :D So yeah, the fact that I couldn't die kinda made me approach the game in a "brute force" kind of way, applying a solution until it worked. Baboon applies hammer to problem until solution.

That’s actually a really good point, and one I hadn’t considered - by removing a lot of the combat, and the threat aspect, they sort of did turn PoP into what is effectively a 3D spacial puzzle game!  

That completely makes sense why it clicked better with me than others - Puzzlers are pretty much the one genre I have consistently loved right back to when I was a kid - (full disclosure - when considering whether to do a trophy checklist at all, I had considered doing Puzzle games exclusively - this was almost DrBloodmoney’s Puzzle Extravaganza!)

It also, I guess, accounts for some of why I feel a bit out of step with the popular consensus  - Puzzlers are, afterall, never as popular as character action games!

So yeah, great scientific report as usual. No complaints there. Also big thumbs up for Bloodborne. Good game, but you can't Powerstance helicopter slash Laurence like in DS2 ?.

I really do hope that FROM revisits the Lovecraftian, Eldrich stuff at some point. Doesn’t have to be Bloodborne 2 (though that would do nicely!) but in some capacity - it’s such a good fit for their brand of fear-based-games

Now...to push the science further beyond...I have a request: Far Cry Primal. I had a sort of divisive opinion as in, I actually enjoyed that game. Curious to see your take on that one :D 

Oh - interesting - good call - I have a hunch you and I might be more in step with that one than you think actually…

I’ll mark it down with your name, though I think I’ll need to get at least Far Cry 3 done first as a baseline - so I’ll put a marker down on that one too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Though - I do wonder how much people actually disliked it at the time, vs, it being pure reaction to the (genuinely disgusting) separation of the end of the game for seperate ‘DLC’ sale - it’s maybe the most egregious example of that practice ever done, outside of maybe Asura’s Wrath, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the bad taste it left in people’s mouths just soured them to every aspect of the game by association!

I’ve never even heard of something like that before, and wouldn’t have believed a company would dare pull some shit like that if you hadn’t told me. I can see how this would cause a lot of people to oppose the game simply out of protest against that kind of shady business.

I’d wager the rest of the dislike for this game stems mostly from the fact it’s so drastically different than previous Prince of Persia games. Most people are resistant to change, especially when you’re taking a beloved franchise/character or whatever and completely reinventing it. 

It’s a risky proposition, and based on many of the examples I’ve seen this often doesn’t go over well at all. Take the DmC: Devil May Cry remake for example - that game was largely hated on and mercilessly criticized by fans of DMC, even though it’s actually a pretty fantastic hack-n-slash action game with a really interesting spin on the DMC universe. I have no attachment to the franchise and it’s characters so I went in with zero expectations. After playing through it myself, I was genuinely shocked to know how despised it is amongst fans because it ended up being a pretty fucking awesome game.

30 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Actually, I did not dislike the game! Other than the Prince being the dudebro who does "hey baberella" jokes and cracks some Monster energy drinks with his trusted friend the donkey, game had a lot of charm.

This made me laugh. The poor prince has definitely gone through some disturbing personality changes throughout the series. The funniest one so far was when he went all dark and emo in Warrior Within. He kinda came across as the type of dude who wears black eyeliner and sits in his room all day smoking weed and listening to funeral doom metal.

It’s had to imagine him any edgier than that. Can’t wait to see what they did with him in this one. ?

30 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Hey good idea.. I second this request! I just picked up Far Cry Primal in a sale a couple weeks back and was planning on playing it pretty soon. My brother says it’s one of the best Far Cry games and I’m interested to know if this is scientifically accurate?

• Like 2