A Telltale's Game of Thrones title? Yes please!

Arkthur

Source

IGN has learned from multiple sources that Telltale Games is developing a game based on George R.R. Martin’s Game of Thrones.

It’s worth noting that, while “Game of Thrones” is the title of HBO’s series based on Martin’s books, the series itself is actually known as A Song of Ice and Fire, and the first book is titled Game of Thrones. It’s currently unclear what title Telltale will be using for its game, and whether the storyline will be based on the show, books, or something entirely new.

We reached out to Telltale and received the following statement from Steve Allison, SVP of Publishing:

“We get these sorts of rumors about what we could be working on next cropping up all the time. Officially we have no comment.”

Telltale has a long history of licensed properties, ranging from Jurassic Park to Back to the Future and, more recently, The Walking Dead and Fables. In October, Telltale CEO Dan Connors said that Telltale “can’t wait” to announce its upcoming projects, and noted that it’s working on licenses that “definitely fall into our dream IP scenario.” Interestingly, Martin’s Game of Thrones books famously tell the story from a different character’s point of view in each chapter, a strategy Telltale recently tried out in The Walking Dead’s 400 Days DLC.

Telltale’s Game of Thrones game joins other recent Game of Thrones projects including browser-based MMO Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms from Bigpoint, the Game of Thrones RPG from Atlus, and strategy title Game of Thrones: Genesis from Focus Home Interactive.

Beyond Game of Thrones, Telltale is currently working on the second episode of The Wolf Among Us as well as a follow-up season to The Walking Dead.

I would've preffered an Invincible title, but more Game of Thrones is always a good thing. :D

Interesting. im not exactly a big fan of game of thrones because i struggle to keep up with the story and everytime i learn a characters name they end up dying the next episode,

but id gladly buy a telltale version, theyve proved they can tell a story well.

might be a bit hard for them though with the other game of thrones game on ps3, it even takes on the 'choose what you say' and 'your actions have consequences' themes.

I really don't like Game of Thrones, it is extremely boring for me but Telltale took the Walking Dead (which is frankly quite boring now too) and made it an amazing game so they could do the same thing here. I'll be interested in seeing some reviews when it releases. 

Parker

Interesting. I've been reading the book series since the first book hit the shelves (1996 and I was 16), but I've been completely unable to get through a single episode of the TV series without lapsing into a snickering fit at how silly everyone sounds. That's the double-edged sword that is epic fantasy, what sounds totally rad on paper is outright silly when said aloud. We'll see how this turns out.

• Like 1

Interesting.  I actually thought the Game of Thrones game from EA was decent, but I couldn't get past some of the fights.  They were really inconsistent, one in the middle of a chapter would be hard as nails, then another at the end of the chapter would be easy.  Shouldn't it be the other way around? The actual story was good though.

Interesting. im not exactly a big fan of game of thrones because i struggle to keep up with the story and everytime i learn a characters name they end up dying the next episode,

but id gladly buy a telltale version, theyve proved they can tell a story well.

might be a bit hard for them though with the other game of thrones game on ps3, it even takes on the 'choose what you say' and 'your actions have consequences' themes.

But isn't that game like, really bad? I always hear bad things about it. Never played it myself though.

I can only imagine they will base it on the books, so they don't have to make the characters look too realistic or similar to their live counterparts. And of course, the nude scenes xD

But isn't that game like, really bad? I always hear bad things about it. Never played it myself though.

I can only imagine they will base it on the books, so they don't have to make the characters look too realistic or similar to their live counterparts. And of course, the nude scenes xD

i played it and i cant say it was really enjoyable but i thought it was mainly because i wasnt a big fan of game of thrones and my negative feelings about the show was poisoning my opinion of the game. but if its a general opinion i guess it wasnt

it did have some good aspects and whatnot but for some reason it wasnt very enjoyable.

its actually kinda like dragon age origins if youve ever played, but somehow they went wrong with it.

i played it and i cant say it was really enjoyable but i thought it was mainly because i wasnt a big fan of game of thrones and my negative feelings about the show was poisoning my opinion of the game. but if its a general opinion i guess it wasnt

it did have some good aspects and whatnot but for some reason it wasnt very enjoyable.

its actually kinda like dragon age origins if youve ever played, but somehow they went wrong with it.

I loved Origins but sadly I never made it all the way through the second Dragon Age.  Nearly, but not quite.  And I guess I didn't love it enough to feel badly that I did not see the story ALL the way to the end.

As for the main topic:  I have not read any of the books and therefore have not yet watched any of the episodes on TV.  That's just kind of how it works for me.  But rarely have the time to read a full series right now.  So a title based on Game of Thrones (and or the book series itself) doesn't do much for me really.  However, I may still attempt playing the game as I've enjoyed Telltale titles.  If they write it like they did with The Walking Dead where it takes place within the world of the graphic novel and TV series yet involves only it's own characters and storyline which are independent of the other canon then I could be on board.  In fact, it might create more of an interest in finding the time for the book series and/or the TV series by letting me into their world the first time but without ruining plot points of the books/show.

This is one of those series I never really got caught up to. Interested me at first and then I fell off. Thought that Walking Dead game was kind of boring, even with the "Omg dat GOTY story." hype, I just didn't find it that great. It'll be interesting to see how Telltale handles something like this, especially if they focus on both gameplay and the story.

I loved Origins but sadly I never made it all the way through the second Dragon Age.  Nearly, but not quite.  And I guess I didn't love it enough to feel badly that I did not see the story ALL the way to the end.

As for the main topic:  I have not read any of the books and therefore have not yet watched any of the episodes on TV.  That's just kind of how it works for me.  But rarely have the time to read a full series right now.  So a title based on Game of Thrones (and or the book series itself) doesn't do much for me really.  However, I may still attempt playing the game as I've enjoyed Telltale titles.  If they write it like they did with The Walking Dead where it takes place within the world of the graphic novel and TV series yet involves only it's own characters and storyline which are independent of the other canon then I could be on board.  In fact, it might create more of an interest in finding the time for the book series and/or the TV series by letting me into their world the first time but without ruining plot points of the books/show.

i actually find myself in that exact same boat this minute, im late to the series and im in about act 2 of the second one and im kinda just getting bored. i do like the story and i do like the new graphics but i still find myself not wanting to continue, i hope acquisition is better.

as for on topic: i dont know if the game would actually be like the walking dead to be honest, the way the story gets told is across several families and there fight for the throne or something along those lines so it might not be produced with a singular character sort of deal that they had in the walking dead. but i know the existing game did so it could probably go either way.

Whether you like the Game of Thrones TV show or not (I personally do) this should still be good news.

Telltale have done some great things with other licences, and thier games are almost always good.

The Walking Dead was great, and that is based on a very bad comic and a horrible piece-of-shit TV show, so I think that the enjoyment of the source material is not a requirement to liking Telltale games.