Is it as bad as the Review Scores indicate?

Kal-El457

7 hours ago, Bykovsky7 said:

If there would be 71/100 and green rating, then was it a good game?

Green starts at 75 not 70, 71 would not make it a good game. I would asume a mediocre game, nothing to special, nothing to bad.

But that al depends on the person playing and his expectations as wel. I never looked at this game before and tought "damn this looks amazing!!"

Basicly for now the game is where I expected it to be based on what I saw beforehand, but I would have liked to be wrong, sadly I was not.

The worst part is that it takes too long for the game to open up and let you roam around. The intro and "childhood" sequences are kind of a drag. 

I chose the Commando class and, as was mentioned, the starting melee weapon makes combat feel like there is little impact to your hits. I got the Kronkfist (I believe it's called) and that gave the melee a bit more weight. 

I am looking forward to playing more (on Series X BTW) since I believe I have gotten past the "tutorials" and won't be stopped every few steps for a cutscene. 

2 hours ago, anotherfangirl said:

Everytime SkillUp doesn't like something I know I'm going to like the game. He didn’t recommend Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and The Last of Us 2 and for me both games were the best games 2020. So after watching his Biomutant Review I'm pretty sure I'll like it (I pre-ordered it anyway).

I've started to turn against ACG as well. There's been enough games in recent memory that weren't knock outs, but i really enjoyed them. 

ah THQ and Reddit for the win

Reddit:

Screenshot_20210526-010223_Reddit.jpg

THQ:

Screenshot_20210526-010250_Reddit.jpg

THQ has a great point lmao.

Edited by Infected Elite
  • Like 4

I personally enjoyed it. Doesnt take itself too serious and isn't gonna be the best game you may play, but it certainly won't be the worse.

The small team of devs have done a decent job with this and whilst it's not standing alongside, Horizon, Fallout and Creed as examples, this is no ratalaika!!

If you like rpg, third person open world games, then try it as its fun to play, however like the subjectiveness of reviews and you agree with them in that the game isn't good then don't entertain it!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BlitzkriegHottie said:

Wait, they're actually using Ubisoft as a good example? 

That has to be satire, no one is that deluded. Specially the "taking risks" part, lol. 

They take risks in many of their games and sure their games are not masterpieces but so many are entertaining and the sheer mass of games they bring out is mind boggling. Last year alone they launched a new IP Immoratls Fenyx Rising which is taking a risk, Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Watch Dogs Legion which is another risk.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ashbo said:

I personally enjoyed it. Doesnt take itself too serious and isn't gonna be the best game you may play, but it certainly won't be the worse.

The small team of devs have done a decent job with this and whilst it's not standing alongside, Horizon, Fallout and Creed as examples, this is no ratalaika!!

If you like rpg, third person open world games, then try it as its fun to play, however like the subjectiveness of reviews and you agree with them in that the game isn't good then don't entertain it!

i still haven't started but i feel ill really enjoy it. I just hope they get a chance at a sequel, reason being most small games (or teams), basically throw what they can into the first game hoping something sticks. Where as the 2nd game they tend to have a bigger team by then or budget and can BUILD on what people liked/didnt like, etc. I feel most games the 2nd go round is generally better.

Hopefully it gets a sequel. I 

1 minute ago, MAXTHUNDER said:

Last year alone they launched a new IP Immoratls Fenyx Rising which is taking a risk, Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Watch Dogs Legion which is another risk.

weren't these all weeks apart as well?

Watch Dogs Legion:

ps4  Oct 29/ ps5 Nov 12 digital, 24 physical.

Immortals Fenyx Rising:

Dec 3

Valhalla

Nov 10/Nov 12.

so 3 games between Oct 29 to Dec 3. Essentially 1 month and a week. Almost unheard of

I'm about 8hrs in.

I'm enjoying it.  Made a op auto rifle. And switching between quarter staff and some crazy 500dmg 2h I crafted up.

The crafting system is very interesting make all kinds o silly gear.

I've only knocked out the first outpost.

I do like that the psionic powers are akin to being a Jedi or sith lol requiring light or dark side points/levels to unlock. Wish there was Abit more of that 

I've explored a huge chunk of the map. And cleared about 3% of the story.

Also seems like mutipule playthru to see all possible endings as game hints at joining x faction will change your endgame goal.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, anotherfangirl said:

Everytime SkillUp doesn't like something I know I'm going to like the game. He didn’t recommend Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and The Last of Us 2 and for me both games were the best games 2020. So after watching his Biomutant Review I'm pretty sure I'll like it (I pre-ordered it anyway).

I don’t know about that. One of the reasons I think he’s a good reviewer is that he’s thoughtful about why he likes or dislikes something. Last of Us 2 is not a flawless masterpiece and his criticism wasn’t unfair. AC Valhalla was enjoyable to me because of the gameplay loop and because it scratches the completionist itch for me, but it’s a great game surrounded by a LOT of bloated content.

Biomutant’s criticism highlights some big red flags for me:

- poor game sound design that makes the gameplay empty and not impactful (it’s been described by several people already in this thread)

- a world that is very empty and lifeless. The one place that offers “life” is the narrator and it sounds like it’s an annoying experience and people turn him off.

-I was expecting a world of quirky characters and lore. NPCs are not voiced, the narrator “translates” over them and their text is generic

- gameplay loop looks poor. SkillUp had an example of needing to get an item to progress in a quest, which led him to another NPC that needed a favour, which led to another NPC to do something else, which ping ponged him across the map three times for a mundane thing like climbing rocks that takes 5 seconds to do and so on…That doesn’t seem fun to me. But if the world had life, NPCs had character, and the gameplay felt solid, then I could somewhat tolerate the poor story or quest design.

People have different tastes and different tolerance levels. For me these are big red flags that will suck the joy out of playing this game. And I think you’d be selling yourself short to generalize a reviewer’s efficacy based on whether they like or dislike something. It’s more about “why” they thought a game mechanic is good or bad. That’s just me. I do hope you enjoy the game.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TerminalPhoenix said:

I don’t know about that. One of the reasons I think he’s a good reviewer is that he’s thoughtful about why he likes or dislikes something. Last of Us 2 is not a flawless masterpiece and his criticism wasn’t unfair. AC Valhalla was enjoyable to me because of the gameplay loop and because it scratches the completionist itch for me, but it’s a great game surrounded by a LOT of bloated content.

Biomutant’s criticism highlights some big red flags for me:

- poor game sound design that makes the gameplay empty and not impactful (it’s been described by several people already in this thread)

- a world that is very empty and lifeless. The one place that offers “life” is the narrator and it sounds like it’s an annoying experience and people turn him off.

-I was expecting a world of quirky characters and lore. NPCs are not voiced, the narrator “translates” over them and their text is generic

- gameplay loop looks poor. SkillUp had an example of needing to get an item to progress in a quest, which led him to another NPC that needed a favour, which led to another NPC to do something else, which ping ponged him across the map three times for a mundane thing like climbing rocks that takes 5 seconds to do and so on…That doesn’t seem fun to me. But if the world had life, NPCs had character, and the gameplay felt solid, then I could somewhat tolerate the poor story or quest design.

People have different tastes and different tolerance levels. For me these are big red flags that will suck the joy out of playing this game. And I think you’d be selling yourself short to generalize a reviewer’s efficacy based on whether they like or dislike something. It’s more about “why” they thought a game mechanic is good or bad. That’s just me. I do hope you enjoy the game.

I didn't say he is a bad reviewer, I like his detailed and long reviews, that's why I subscribed to him a long time ago.

I just almost never agree with him on the games he dislikes, we have a totally different taste - but that's been a great help so far, because of his “negative” reviews I know which games to try.

I'm glad his review helped you as well, now you don't have to spend money for a game you probably wouldn't have liked (because of the red flags you mentioned).

• Like 1

Ive been playing for a few days and I can see where a lot of criticism is coming from but I still think it's a good game. Just good, though. 

You can skip the narrator's voice and just read the NPC text by hitting X before they start speaking. Just make sure to time it right or you'll skip the dialogue.

Only bother talking to townspeople with "!" above their head, the rest say nothing.

I feel like there is just too much to do in this game and especially at the beginning it's overwhelming. Too many mechanics and too many instances of stopping the game for a cutscene or tutorial.

Combat is not very fun for me. Like Ghost of Tsushima, there is no lock on but plenty of enemies attacking at once. It's basically random which enemy you'll swing or shoot at. They also tank your moves so you could be combo-ing them and they'll just swing and hit you anyway. I put the difficulty on easy once I realized that there wasn't much strategy involved in combat, it's more like a battle of attrition. It also seems like my special combos aren't giving me credit to activate the special moves (Wung Fu, I think?) I wouldn't care except that I need to kill 50 enemies with it. It also doesn't last long enough so you can't kill a basic enemy at full health with it.

The performance is lacking. Running through empty areas has a janky feeling. Turning the camera too quick is also janky. 

It probably sounds like I hate the entire game but I don't. It has so many things to do, if they were just spaced better and introduced slower it wouldn't seem so overwhelming. 

Oh, it DOES piss me off that there's a trophy for the Ki Spark ability but you need to be level 15 Light Side to activate it. I was trying to play the whole game as a big jerk but now I can't.

I believe "diamond in the rough" is a fitting expression here. Booting up Biomutant, you're greeted with:

- Sub-par modeling

- Poorly paced story

- Button mash combat

- Clunky narration

Get through those opening hours, make it to the main game world, fiddle around in settings a bit, and if you haven't already bump the difficulty to Hard and buy a few combos. Suddenly:

- Colorful and varied environments

- A dark and eccentric story filled with lots of fun and unique characters

- Fluid combo-heavy combat that rewards ingenuity, with tons of enemy and boss variety

- Narration long sinced turned off

- Still buggy af though 

The ability to fix most of the game's glaring faults through its settings, and the genuine joy that the open world brings once you get to it, turns the game into the most genuinely fun experience I've had in years. That being said, it does not excuse its faults. No game should have to be tweaked in settings to be enjoyable, and those first few hours really are a dreadful slog. Biomutant lands at this weird point of being such a pure joy to play once you get invested, but so rough around the edges that it's impossible to fault anyone for dropping it after a few hours.

Truly, I think the big patch that's coming will make it my personal Game of the Year, and anyone who gets into it post-patch will be able to see the love that the game's had put into it and appreciate it for what it's done right. However, in its current unpolished state, I feel like a 70-ish average is more than fair.