EA Origins not working

akdkiller

6 hours ago, ASILENTENIGMA said:

The specific Fuse discussion might be a lost cause.  However, the overall discussion is very important in the broader sense.  This discussion is about the exact type of attitude that allows the game companies to get away with their incredibly horrible consumer practices.  On one side, the gamers have no power whatsoever and no real outlet for their voice to be heard when a company clearly goes back on their agreement with the gamers.  On the other side, the game companies just do whatever they want and no regulatory agency to stop them.  As I've said before, video games are big business.  BIG business.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/23/video-game-revenues-in-2020-set-to-top-sports-movie-industries/

The estimate is 180 billion dollars last year, globally.  Bigger than sports AND movies combined.  Yet, game companies can just do whatever they want.  Launch a completely broken game, no problem.  Trophies that are glitched and are never fixed, no problem.  Take down servers without any notice given, no problem.  If other consumer products are broken, companies fix them either by choice or by force through a recall.  Xbox 360 ring a bell?  Games on the other hand, you don't need to worry about those.  Just keep gleefully paying the money to these gigantic corporations who basically just continue to screw you over and don't really seem to care that you are a customer.

I'm not going to issue false promises about never buying an EA game again.  However, I will limit my consumer practices as much as possible.  As long as Madden gets a physical release, I'll never buy from a traditional retailer.  I'll get my copy off eBay to make sure my money doesn't go to EA at all.  If there's a digital release, I will wait until it's under 10 dollars before I even think of buying it.  EA is, without a doubt, one of the worst game companies in existence, and I will try to severely limit my interaction with that company as much as possible moving forward.

The important part is the second half, not the first.  Regardless of what someone thinks about the start of that statement, no 30 days were given.  30 days weren't given and no notice was posted.  That is clear as day.  There is no ambiguity, there's no confusion, there's no lost in translation, etc.  EA 100% didn't follow their OWN rules on this.  This is a question of fairness.  People bought the game in good faith, and expect the publisher to also act in good faith.

Well said .

So if you get Ninja style trophy before the silent shutdown, the rest of the trophies can obtain in a split screen, yeah it will be harder but possible since the second controller with a different account than your main account will save your progress including the levels which is the most important thing . 

1 minute ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

I highly disagree. 

EA has fixed Bad Company multiple times already, EA has fixed Medal of Honor Warfighter and Medal of Honor, EA has fixed Dantes Inferno multiple times already, EA has fixed Crysis 2 after it was down for a year... 

Sure they fucked up here with Fuse. But look at Activision for example: They've shut down like 15 games or so at once recently without any notice beforehand (Wolfenstein, all Transformers, all James Bond....). So in my opinion Activision is a million times worse than EA. 

And while it is fine to discuss about to whole situation in general, I can't help but laugh if someone seriously asks on a niche forum like psnp how they can get EA into court lol

Activision did have a notice. Without solid dates, but they had a page dedicated to it. Even though most of these games were not only dead, but also bombs in financial terms.
https://support.activision.com/articles/legacy-activision-games

Battlefield getting fixed is obvious, since it's their cash cow, they know it has big following. And so does Medal of Honor, I suppose, just because multiplayer was handled by DICE. Dante's Inferno survival is a mystery to me, though. But I still gonna call EA on that, since they delisted DLCs in EU without notices (and same goes to Brutal Legend too).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ASILENTENIGMA said:

The specific Fuse discussion might be a lost cause.  However, the overall discussion is very important in the broader sense.  This discussion is about the exact type of attitude that allows the game companies to get away with their incredibly horrible consumer practices.  On one side, the gamers have no power whatsoever and no real outlet for their voice to be heard when a company clearly goes back on their agreement with the gamers.  

There have been much better subjects discussing this kind of behavior from game companies. Mainly loot boxes and releasing broken games. These cases are so grand, even governments are interfering with it. So don't miss the mark by thinking they are totally out of the loop by officials. 

But nobody gives a shit about this issue. Not even media outlets want to report on this controversial but very minor topic.

The only thing you can do is spam and boycot. Hopefully someone pick it up. 

12 hours ago, ASILENTENIGMA said:

The important part is the second half, not the first.  Regardless of what someone thinks about the start of that statement, no 30 days were given.  30 days weren't given and no notice was posted.  That is clear as day.  There is no ambiguity, there's no confusion, there's no lost in translation, etc.  EA 100% didn't follow their OWN rules on this.  This is a question of fairness.  People bought the game in good faith, and expect the publisher to also act in good faith.

That's what you and me (the customers) read as a statement. But that doesn't hold up in law when a neutral figure get to hear both sides. And with a team of lawyers and with the word 'may' even a dummy can get around it. Your way of interpretending the statement is not how the real world works. It's way to simple. 

But again you might find it bad consumer practices and for that you can complain by the BBB, spam and/or boycot EA. 

26 minutes ago, Samurai_SNAAAKE said:

Battlefield getting fixed is obvious, since it's their cash cow, they know it has big following. And so does Medal of Honor, I suppose, just because multiplayer was handled by DICE. Dante's Inferno survival is a mystery to me, though.

Easy answer: those bugged out and EA fixed them, it was not meant to be a shutdown like fuse is... 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

Lol 

So you want to tell me that shutting down all those games at once out of nowhere is perfectly fine, because they weren't successful financially and because they were marked as legacy titles? 

No, I'm gonna tell you to stop insinuating that Activision didn't gave at least a warning (and I checked, at least Wolf 2009 worked for a while after that). And in case of Fuse it didn't even clarify the situation 2 weeks after the fact. Don't you see the difference, should I really be spelling it out?

I don't care about the company, but all you do here is "hey, EA did a shitty thing, but look, others do shitty things too!" which is way more useless and laughable than any reply in this thread. So fucking what. How about we do something about it instead of comparing piss to shit to see what's worse?

34 minutes ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

EDIT: Also iIrc, most of those games were actually added to that legacy list AFTER the shutdown. 

So what if you fight the company about it and not waste time arguing that other company doing the same(ish) isn't as bad? Did you do it, did you bring that issue up somewhere in 2020 if you think it's worse? Like we here TRIED to give this issue attention everywhere, press, bloggers. Even if didn't help, we tried to do SOMETHING so it won't happen easy next time.

Or is it easier for you to go here and write about how laughable this thread is and how stupid the idea of a lawsuit is?
You can say all you want about how useless it all is, but it's no more useless than chiming in with nothing to add.

Edited by Samurai_SNAAAKE
  • Like 1

It’s very healthy if you R going to help , I don’t wanna read about companies $hit , Don’t really understand every other day you post your opinion oh ok there is nothing wrong with that but we R here to help & to resolve the problem. I think some players here , they have to be journalists & analysts 

in the first place . Big mouth full of $hits .

Edited by Hysteria

All companies don’t care about you ok ? We know & we knew that they care about money & they R talking $hit ! Thank you , give me something new that helps the situation for players who is stuck in there . 

Edited by Hysteria
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hysteria said:

All companies don’t care about you ok ? We know & we knew that they care about money & they R talking $hit ! Thank you , give me something new that helps the situation for players who is stuck in there . 

52 minutes ago, Hysteria said:

It’s very healthy if you R going to help , I don’t wanna read about companies $hit , Don’t really understand every other day you post your opinion oh ok there is nothing wrong with that but we R here to help & to resolve the problem. I think some players here , they have to be journalists & analysts 

Couldn’t have said it better myself ? Quite fine arguments you present here. It’ll be truly shocking if an EA employee reads your posts and dismisses them. Keep up the good fight, we’ll shut them down in no time. ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Darkette said:

Couldn’t have said it better myself 1f44c.png Quite fine arguments you present here. It’ll be truly shocking if an EA employee reads your posts and dismisses them. Keep up the good fight, we’ll shut them down in no time. 1f60e.png

Quite fun post ^^

3 hours ago, Potent_Delusions said:

You're either bending the situation to favour your argument or you don't know what you're talking about. All of the games that were added to that list were added AFTER the games had shut without warning. The 007 games, Guitar Hero's, and DJ Hero's received no warning whatsoever. The only exception was NASCAR 2011 and Wolfenstein, the latter shutting down a month or two after this was posted and the former still being up. 

Activision are way worse than EA; Activision have shut well over 15 titles without any warning (the 2020 batch that we're talking about, BO2 league play, Guitar Hero Smash Hits and Tony Hawk Shred in 2013), EA have shut down one title without warning (Fuse). You could claim that Monopoly Streets had a poor warning too as it was only posted in the game's forum on their website, not in their announcement list, but still....2 games as opposed to over 15. 

You tell that to Army of TWO: 40th day with removing mask servers and delisting DLC without any warning few months ago.
Tell that to Burnout Crash!, to Mass Effect: Infiltrator and other games EA removed outright without any warning at al in one huge sweep in 2015l?
https://toucharcade.com/2015/09/11/ea-quietly-removes-flight-control-real-racing-and-other-classics-from-the-app-store/
Or how about that warning about removing Need for Speeds from stores about an hour before removing them? 

But you know what? I'm not arguing that Activision is some great company. And it being better or worse is irrelevant, really.
I'm arguing that

1) EA has a dedicated big site for such announcements - it didn't bother updating it still.

2) EA has a statement in ToS about notification - yet they forgot to provide one

I have Wolfenstein 2009 box, by the way. And what does it say?
"Activision makes no guarantees regarding the availability of online play and may modify or discontinue servers in its discretion without notice". Same with DJ hero. And GoldenEye Reloaded. Look it up, look at the back of the box and read it.  That's why they gave no shits - because they can and they wrote it in ToS. So this thing

3 hours ago, Darkette said:

Activision didn’t give any warning whatsoever, Fuse isn’t some one in a million game that got shut without a warning. GH5, Metallica, Van Halen, DJ Hero 1 & 2. Wolfenstein shut a while after but it still didn’t get any warning iirc. It just shut and then appeared on that useless shutdown list. 

While true in terms of "it happens" is false in one simple term. Fuse WAS a different case and there's proof of it, right there, written on every single box of it. Because it can be taken somewhere with "hey, look, they breached the contract", while Activision did no such thing. 
I'm really sorry that you fought and you got ignored, but in cases of at least 3 games you lost even before a fight.

7 minutes ago, Samurai_SNAAAKE said:

While true in terms of "it happens" is false in one simple term. Fuse WAS a different case and there's proof of it, right there, written on every single box of it. Because it can be taken somewhere with "hey, look, they breached the contract", while Activision did no such thing. 
I'm really sorry that you fought and you got ignored, but in cases of at least 3 games you lost even before a fight.

That’s a fair enough reply, I didn’t actually check any of the Activison cases since I just assume they all say the same 30 day shit. Even Sony were announcing shutting Warhawk with hardly any notice until it was brought to their attention that it should actually be 90 days. Companies just won’t give a shit enough to abide by it unless they have to.

I would say It’s just common decency to let your fans know that one of their favourite games is about to be shut off forever. It wouldn’t hurt them to just give a heads up when they even have a page listing their terminated online services. 

• Like 4

Just now, Darkette said:

That’s a fair enough reply, I didn’t actually check any of the Activison cases since I just assume they all say the same 30 day shit. Even Sony were announcing shutting Warhawk with hardly any notice until it was brought to their attention that it should actually be 90 days. Companies just won’t give a shit enough to abide by it unless they have to.

I would say It’s just common decency to let your fans know that one of their favourite games is about to be shut off forever. It wouldn’t hurt them to just give a heads up when they even have a page listing their terminated online services. 

Yeah, it's a common decency, but it also gives people a way to at least fight it. So Activision is, well, "does the smart thing" (in terms of business): it either doesn't say anything (haven't found it on the box of Legends and QoS) or says outright that "yeah, we can do whatever we want and don't have to tell you".
EA didn't leave itself such freedom, at least back then.

So people saw what EA wrote plainly and just want to use it, simple as. I don't get how it's a "a completely hypothetical lawsuit".

7 hours ago, Hysteria said:

I have been following this thread from the beginning (was interested in playing FUSE) but its kinda ironic you say that while you have been the one spamming this thread multiple times a day for a few weeks now.

Anyway, how about we close this thread? It has long since run its course and not much of value has been posted in the last few pages. EA is shit, we know, lets move on.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

I highly disagree. 

EA has fixed Bad Company multiple times already, EA has fixed Medal of Honor Warfighter and Medal of Honor, EA has fixed Dantes Inferno multiple times already, EA has fixed Crysis 2 after it was down for a year... 

Sure they fucked up here with Fuse. But look at Activision for example: They've shut down like 15 games or so at once recently without any notice beforehand (Wolfenstein, all Transformers, all James Bond....). So in my opinion Activision is a million times worse than EA. 

That's okay.  We've forgotten in this society, and in the world, that it's perfectly alright to agree to disagree.  You can still have a good spirited discussion even though you may not see things the same.  If you go back to my post, this is what I said. "EA is, without a doubt, one of the worst game companies in existence..."  I said EA is one of the worst, not the absolute worst.  I don't view 5 minor victories as being worth much when you compare it to all the other horrible decisions and consumer practices that EA has exhibited and continues to exhibit.  However, you are absolutely right about Activision.  I swear it's an unofficial contest between those two as to which one can be the absolute worst gaming company and lower the bar even further in their race to the bottom.  I can understand the likes of Transformers and James Bond getting shut down, because now you dealing with a licensing issue with another intellectual property.  With that being said, and I will hold Activision's feet to the same fire as EA's, they need to issue proper notifications for the server closure as well.  That's what this whole discussion is about, at least for me.  I don't expect servers to stay up forever.  I also don't think Fuse is the greatest game ever created.  However, no notice was given despite the fact that EA had said in two different places that 30 days would be given.  Before Sony pulled a u-turn on the PS store closing, they gave a 90 day notice.  Rockstar gave 90 days notice for Max Payne 3 and LA Noire, and gave 6 months notice for GTA 5 on the PS3.  Again, this is about fairness.  Game companies have every right to shut down servers for whatever reason they deem necessary.  However, they should be required to notify their customers, the ones who spent money on a consumer product, when these servers are coming down.  If a government or a law could force these companies to issue notices like it, I would 100% support it.  Again, this is a 180 billion dollar global  industry, and these companies need to be forced to start acting in a consumer friendly manner.  Some entities like Rockstar and Sony decide to do the honorable thing, and let their customers know.  Others like EA and Acitivision don't treat us gamers with any amount of fairness.  In addition to the other anti-consumer practices they exhibit, they just shut servers without any warning whatsoever.  They just look at gamers as walking dollar signs and nothing more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bumperklever said:

There have been much better subjects discussing this kind of behavior from game companies. Mainly loot boxes and releasing broken games. These cases are so grand, even governments are interfering with it. So don't miss the mark by thinking they are totally out of the loop by officials. 

Governments are starting to notice, and that's good.  However, it's not enough right now and it vastly needs to improve in order to allow the consumer some measure of protection.  The only thing I've read about government intervention has been regarding loot boxes, no other issues.  Now, I could be wrong and missed something.  Regarding broken games, I can't help but think of Cyberpunk.  From what I remember it was the retailers and Sony that pulled that game, not anything government related.  Again, I could be wrong.  Just because governments are starting to get interested with loot boxes doesn't mean a whole lot to me.  Again, it's a start, but I would argue that officials are pretty much out the the loop and ignorant about the games industry.  Again, that's just me.

But nobody gives a shit about this issue. Not even media outlets want to report on this controversial but very minor topic.

That's the problem.  That's why gamers have no real voice.  Gamers can't do anything about it, the gaming media doesn't care, governments don't care, nobody cares, etc.  That's why these issues persist.  Nothing ever gets done and nothing ever changes.  That's why these game companies just keep doing whatever they want with no repercussions.   

That's what you and me (the customers) read as a statement. But that doesn't hold up in law when a neutral figure get to hear both sides. And with a team of lawyers and with the word 'may' even a dummy can get around it. Your way of interpretending the statement is not how the real world works. It's way to simple.

You're absolutely right.  That's why lawyers are horrible.  Of course this issue isn't going to a court.  I would love to see how a judge would interpret the 30 days, however.  The word may has nothing to do with the 30 days part.  It says 30 would be given and a notice would be posted.  I would hope a judge would see that and see how clear and simple that is to understand.  Again, probably not.  EA needs to do better and copy the Activision text from the back of the box that someone recently posted.  With wording like that you could probably do anything you wanted, lol.

Edited by ASILENTENIGMA

Incredible, people, why... We all should cooperate and try to put pressure on EA to put back the servers and give the 30 days grace before shutting them down for good, when they failed to keep on their policy and give a notice.

Instead, this whole thread has devolved into a battleground where people are arguing to each other.

Edited by MaxieM0us3
  • Like 2