Gateway games

LancashireLad87

Nice topic! I think I have some recommendations also:

Fighting games - an interesting game for newcomers in the genre is Fighting EX Layer. Trophy wise, this is a very simple game, which requires only some online matches and several basic achievements with each character.

What's interesting about this game is that it has 2 gameplay modes: Classic mode (same as Street Fighter) and Progressive Mode. Progressive mode simplifies all the controls, aka instead of doing a quarter circle punch for a fireball, you just press forward punch. I found it to be super intuitive and newcomer friendly.

Also the Gougi system is super fun, where you get some passive buffs if you accomplish various achievements during the fight (such as blocking 10 attacks giving you extra special meter)

In terms of anime fighting games, I also recommend Under Night In-Birth,any iteration. Cool characters, sick music, solid tutorial and easy trophy list :) 

Hack & Slash - You can't go wrong with PS3/PS4's God of War, the original series, not the 2018 game. All that matters is to know that Kratos is angry, he wants to kill the gods and you can combo them for 400 SAVAGE combos. The gameplay is quick, brutal and not DMC4 levels of punishing :D 

RPG - This will be a weird entry, but the best user-friendly RPG's these days are Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey. Awesome setting, likable characters with a strong story, easy to understand mechanics, tons of items. It's the perfect entry in this genre.

Will complete with more once I get more ideas :D 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Nice topic! I think I have some recommendations also:

Fighting games - an interesting game for newcomers in the genre is Fighting EX Layer. Trophy wise, this is a very simple game, which requires only some online matches and several basic achievements with each character.

What's interesting about this game is that it has 2 gameplay modes: Classic mode (same as Street Fighter) and Progressive Mode. Progressive mode simplifies all the controls, aka instead of doing a quarter circle punch for a fireball, you just press forward punch. I found it to be super intuitive and newcomer friendly.

Also the Gougi system is super fun, where you get some passive buffs if you accomplish various achievements during the fight (such as blocking 10 attacks giving you extra special meter)

In terms of anime fighting games, I also recommend Under Night In-Birth,any iteration. Cool characters, sick music, solid tutorial and easy trophy list :) 

Hack & Slash - You can't go wrong with PS3/PS4's God of War, the original series, not the 2018 game. All that matters is to know that Kratos is angry, he wants to kill the gods and you can combo them for 400 SAVAGE combos. The gameplay is quick, brutal and not DMC4 levels of punishing :D 

RPG - This will be a weird entry, but the best user-friendly RPG's these days are Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey. Awesome setting, likable characters with a strong story, easy to understand mechanics, tons of items. It's the perfect entry in this genre.

Will complete with more once I get more ideas :D 

Thanks for the recommendations I will add them to the list! As for God of War some of the Challenges of Olympus are pretty annoying. 

1 minute ago, LancashireLad87 said:

Thanks for the recommendations I will add them to the list! As for God of War some of the Challenges of Olympus are pretty annoying. 

Yes true, the original God of War can be quite ass at certain sections, but it gets better with the next games. I felt that it starts slowly in teaching the player the basics and then gradually upping the difficulty without being too much of a pain. The stupid Hades level not included.

Problem with Hack n Slash...the only "alternative" would be Diablo 3 tbh xD 

8 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Yes true, the original God of War can be quite ass at certain sections, but it gets better with the next games. I felt that it starts slowly in teaching the player the basics and then gradually upping the difficulty without being too much of a pain. The stupid Hades level not included.

Problem with Hack n Slash...the only "alternative" would be Diablo 3 tbh xD 

Diablo is more of a dungeon crawler than a slasher. I heard Dante's Inferno is quite easy for the genre other than that the only other slasher I'm aware of would be something like Dynasty Warriors. Never heard of Fighting EX Layer, I'm going to look at some gameplay later tonight!

Edited by LancashireLad87

This is a cool topic, and I need time to have a proper think about some game I would recommend - but I did want to quickly add -

I think another couple of genres that sometimes seems impenetrable to some, and can require a ‘gateway game’ are:

Rogue-likes, and Adventure (point-and-click) games.

• Like 1

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

This is a cool topic, and I need time to have a proper think about some game I would recommend - but I did want to quickly add -

I think another couple of genres that sometimes seems impenetrable to some, and can require a ‘gateway game’ are:

Rogue-likes, and Adventure (point-and-click) games.

Thanks, I always forget something must be my old age haha

8 minutes ago, LancashireLad87 said:

Thanks, I always forget something must be my old age haha

I feel "Shooters" needs to be broken own into separate categories. Lumping any games with shootings mechanic together isn't advisable if this thread is to have longevity. FPS and twin-stick are worlds apart in terms of gameplay. You could even make the argument for a separate listing for third-person shooters.

For gateway RPGs - Child of Light, Transistor, Costume Quest, Cosmic Star Heroine, Dark Cloud

Edited by Helyx
  • Like 1

Just now, Helyx said:

I feel "Shooters" needs to be broken own into separate categories. Lumping any games with shootings mechanic together isn't advisable if this thread is to have longevity. FPS and twin-stick are worlds apart in terms of gameplay. You could even make the argument for a separate listing for third-person shooters.

Good point, I was thinking of doing the same for racing games since they differ drastically. 

• Like 1

Cool topic OP. Does this list include games which are easier to platinum in the genres, or just far easier to play than others in the specific genre regardless of trophies? 

I'd be interested personally in some areas like Shooters and Racing, two genres I haven't played in a crazy long time and kinda feeling the itch to do so. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Cool topic OP. Does this list include games which are easier to platinum in the genres, or just far easier to play than others in the specific genre regardless of trophies? 

I'd be interested personally in some areas like Shooters and Racing, two genres I haven't played in a crazy long time and kinda feeling the itch to do so. 

Since this site is mainly trophy orientated I would have said just trophies but if you would like me to add games that lack trophies which can get you into a certain genre I'm sure we can accommodate for that. Games like Heavenly Sword would be an option for hack and slash, since these games wouldn't affect a gamers completion rate should they fail to complete it. 

Edited by LancashireLad87

1 minute ago, LancashireLad87 said:

Since this site is mainly trophy orientated I would have said just trophies but if you would like me to add games that lack trophies which can get you into a certain genre I'm sure we can accommodate for that.

Ah ok, was just wondering. Probably for the better to stick to easier trophy games to get into as the majority of us are trophy hunters!

1 minute ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Ah ok, was just wondering. Probably for the better to stick to easier trophy games to get into as the majority of us are trophy hunters!

True but I've added Heavenly Sword for Hack and Slash for the PS3, since why the heck not!

• Like 1

This is a great topic with a lot of potential to be useful to the community. Good job!

Some genres, like the 2D Fighter, I've been forced kicking and screaming into the deep end due to choices made 10 years ago, but I still have time to dip my toes properly into other genres. One genre that I would love to slowly get better at would be the Japanese "shmup" and/or bullet hell. I have games I would eventually like to tackle like Mamorukun Curse!, but going into something that difficult right away seems like way too much, so a list of the gateway plats for the genre would be lovely. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

This is a great topic with a lot of potential to be useful to the community. Good job!

Some genres, like the 2D Fighter, I've been forced kicking and screaming into the deep end due to choices made 10 years ago, but I still have time to dip my toes properly into other genres. One genre that I would love to slowly get better at would be the Japanese "shmup" and/or bullet hell. I have games I would eventually like to tackle like Mamorukun Curse!, but going into something that difficult right away seems like way too much, so a list of the gateway plats for the genre would be lovely. 

I knew I forgot Shmup games thanks for reminding me! Yes I know exactly what you mean like starting Blazblue Continuum Shift without knowing what all the terminology means and being able to execute special moves ^^

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Great idea for a thread! As someone who has always wanted to try both fighting and driving/racing games, i'm definitely going to use this for inspiration!

Thanks man, hopefully you find another genre that peaks your interest that you may have otherwise overlooked.

Great topic OP!

For hack and slash, the Senran Kagura games are very easy so they're a great place to start (except for people who don't like fanservice-heavy games).

Borderlands 1 is a great intro to first-person shooters, and the entire thing can be done in co-op.

Nickelodeon Kart Racers (1) is a pretty simple kart racer.

WRC 3 (Vita version) is considered by many to be a very easy non-kart racing game. I'm awful at this genre and I managed to get the plat (with difficulty).

Edited by yuber1234
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, yuber1234 said:

Great topic OP!

For hack and slash, the Senran Kagura games are very easy so they're a great place to start (except for people who don't like fanservice-heavy games).

Borderlands 1 is a great intro to first-person shooters, and the entire thing can be done in co-op.

Nickelodeon Kart Racers (1) is a pretty simple kart racer.

WRC 3 is considered by many to be a very easy non-kart racing game. I'm awful at this genre and I managed to get the plat (with difficulty).

Thanks for the suggestions I will add them tomorrow when I get home from work as my fingers can no longer type haha. I actually thought of this topic a few months ago but never got round to talking about it.

• Like 1

So, I was thinking about puzzle games (a personal favourite):

I think there are really 3 discrete genres within puzzle games that would have their own ‘gateway games’: 3D FIrst Person, 2D Puzzle Platform, & ‘Pure’.

Obviously, with Puzzlers, you want the gateway to be fun, but not so brutally challanging as to put people off, so with that in mind, these would be my picks:

(in each case, these aren’t from ‘best’ to ‘worst’ but rather, in order of ‘on-ramp’ - i.e. a person new to the genre should, IMO, start with 1, then 2, then 3)

3D First Person:

1. The Turing Test

2. Superliminal

3. Portal 2

2D Puzzle Platformer:

1. Limbo

2. Hue

3. Teslagrad

Pure:

1. The Witness (i know this could be considered 3D First person, but really, the actual puzzles are more ‘pure puzzle’)

2. Chime Sharp

3. Lumines

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

PS3 2D fighting you could add Phantom Breaker Extra which has a simplified special move system, easy single player & only about about 50 matches for the online (will have to be boosted). It's Japanese only but was very cheap last time I checked. Blazblue Calamity Trigger is very easy as well but takes a lot more time than Phantom Breaker.

PS4 2D Fighting has Nitroplus Blasterz: Heroines Infinite Duel, Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition & Million Arthur Arcana Blood all of which can be done in an afternoon.

PS3 Shmup has a whopping 4 games to choose from in the retail space. Under Defeat HD has 2 stacks & is by far the easiest, with the most challenging part of the trophy set requiring the player to go through a whopping 2 stages without dying. IIRC the game is expensive now which is the only downside. Caladrius Blaze is quite easy too but has a very fiddly trophy revolving around using every weapon at every power level which can be a nightmare to keep track of. Ketsui & Mamoru can both be cheesed with a turbo controller but I'll leave them out since without one they're demanding.

PS4 Shmup I'd recommend Ghost Blade HD for an easy life all round & if someone wanted a game to get used to Danmaku shooters I'd recommend Score Rush Extend & Psyvariar Delta. Score rush lets you change the bullet colour & outline so visibility is never an issue & the speed of the bullets is chill & never overbearing. Psyvariar's whole system revolves around grazing/getting close to bullets which is why I think it's a good training/gateway game. Also want to add all the M2 shot triggers games. Angerforce Reloaded, Cotton Reboot & Game Tengoku Cruisin Mix deserve a mention too & probably a bunch of other stuff but that'll do for now, I'm going to go get ready for work.

• Like 1

I'd actually highly disagree with putting down Dark Cloud as a gateway to RPGs.  Played it last year and hated it so much that if that had been my first RPG, I'd probably never have played another.  It's got too many strange mechanics that are not typical of RPGs to really be a good gateway game and the gameplay gets very tedious and boring and made a roughly 20 hour plat feel more like it took over 40 hours because of how much it just dragged.

I'd suggest something more like Trials of Mana or Cat Quest for action RPGs at least.  Both are pretty short and not too difficult to get the plat in while being reflective enough of the typical style of action RPGs.

I'd also highly recommend splitting RPG up into at minimum action RPG and turn based RPG because both are very different styles of gameplay.  Western and Japanese also wouldn't be a bad idea to split as well since western devs do make RPGs in a different style than Japanese devs and it's not just a difference in graphics style.  Western RPGs tend to be more open world and Japanese RPGs tend to be more linear.  Both have their pros and cons and the styles will suit some and not others.  Definitely know many who hate JRPGs but love western RPGs and many who love JRPGs and hate western RPGs and then there are people who like both.  The styles are different enough that one gateway for all RPGs doesn't quite reflect the various styles when one style might turn some people away from the genre when they could potentially enjoy other styles in the genre.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

I'd also highly recommend splitting RPG up into at minimum action RPG and turn based RPG because both are very different styles of gameplay.  Western and Japanese also wouldn't be a bad idea to split as well since western devs do make RPGs in a different style than Japanese devs and it's not just a difference in graphics style.  Western RPGs tend to be more open world and Japanese RPGs tend to be more linear.  Both have their pros and cons and the styles will suit some and not others.  Definitely know many who hate JRPGs but love western RPGs and many who love JRPGs and hate western RPGs and then there are people who like both.  The styles are different enough that one gateway for all RPGs doesn't quite reflect the various styles when one style might turn some people away from the genre when they could potentially enjoy other styles in the genre.

That's a good point - I'd say the gateway game leading to something like Fallout 3 or Alpha Protocol would be markedly different to those leading to something like Final Fantasy or Tales of.

I'd say there is a decent argument for Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch as a gateway to jpgs - in the sense that it has a lot of the basic tropes of the genre, but it is couched in a self-contained story, and has the Ghibli art that will be very familiar and welcoming to new players - and isn't so difficult as to put people off.

For Western RPGs, I'd probably tell someone to just begin at something like The Outer Worlds - has a lot of RPG stuff, but is heavy on humour (which is always a good driver for someone not too sure of the mechanics,) and gives a good flavour of the Bethesda / Obsidian style RPG, but without the sheer, impenetrable size (or the litany of off-putting bugs)

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1