Best and worse "new" games

Wade_VC

Best and Worse "new" games  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What "new" game will be the BEST overall game.

• Batman: Arkham City
    • Battlefeild 3
    • Uncharted 3
    • CoD: MW 3
    • The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
    • Other (please give game name)
  2. 2. What "new" game will be the WORSE overall game.

• Batman: Arkham City
    • Battlefeild 3
    • Uncharted 3
    • CoD: MW 3
    • The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
    • Other (please give game name)

With a flood of good to great games either just released or on the way, which one do you think will be the best game overall. Not neseccarily the biggest seller, but best as in overall gameplay and just plain awesomeness?

Also, which game do you think will fall flat and just be a over-hyped mess?

But can't really say anything because MW3 has not been released yet so.

Which is exactly why I asked: "which one do you think will be"

This way one can give their opinion based on various factors, not just if a game has been released or if one has actually played the game. A lot of folks read and follow reviews, as well as the development cycles of a game, have seen various videos or played BETA's, etc.

In regards to the "Fanboy" aspects, yeah, you will find that anywhere. Fortunately these types of obtuse morons are easy to spot.

Which is exactly why I asked: "which one do you think will be"

This way one can give their opinion based on various factors, not just if a game has been released or if one has actually played the game. A lot of folks read and follow reviews, as well as the development cycles of a game, have seen various videos or played BETA's, etc.

In regards to the "Fanboy" aspects, yeah, you will find that anywhere. Fortunately these types of obtuse morons are easy to spot.

Yer sorry dude I just don't get the question "which one do you think will be" when majority of those games have been released but point taken.

Cheers dude

I think Skyrim will be the best game this year. I guess because I'm a huge fan of RPG games. I know it's not out yet but it better be good seeing I spent 225$ on the collectors edition and the game guide. :shakefist:

I thought Batman would be up there but with a very short main story and some side missions ending abruptly ("Oh I'll check everything out tomorrow in the Batcave....") it wasn't as brilliant as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, I love the game but it wasn't what I thought. Also thought 'normal' mode was very easy. Or maybe I'm getting too good? :awesome:

In the 'worst' game for the year (or lately) I just chose Call of Duty. I honestly don't care about the series, nor do I care about FPS. Could be a good game but it's not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

Although I'm not getting Uncharted 3, I voted for it as the best because the Uncharted series seems to have a successful trend. Naughty Dog has it down.

The new Call of Duty gets my vote for "worst". I've never been a huge fan of the series, but it just seems like they don't advance or innovate much from their predecessors.

I think Skyrim will be the best game this year. I guess because I'm a huge fan of RPG games. I know it's not out yet but it better be good seeing I spent 225$ on the collectors edition and the game guide. :shakefist:

I too have a feeling that Skyrim will be the best of the lot, hands down. The videos and developer diaries I have seen thus far make it a stand out.

Although I am a fan of Battlefield (both series, Battlefield and Bad Co.), I was not overly impressed with the BETA. It wasn't true to the Battlefield franchise, nor is it similar to Bad Co., it is just kind of out there. Sadly, I think Battlefield will be the over-hyped game of them all; and this is coming from a fan.

As how I can't stand CoD, I will not give my opinion as it would be based 100% on bias.

From what I have seen, Uncharted 3 looks promising, but I still don't think it will be able to touch Skyrim as the leap from Unhcarted 1 to Uncharted 2 was huge, whereas Uncharted 3 may suffer from the atypical franchise familiarity; but I think it will come in a close second to Skyrim. From what I have seen, the leap from Oblivion to Skyrim will be as huge as the jump from Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 was.

Please note that I've only seen the trailers to most of these games and I'm basing my opinion on that.

Best game in my mind it a tie between Portal 2, Uncharted 3 and Arkham City but Uncharted 3 takes the cake. It's the complete package, even though I don't play the MP a lot. Portal 2 was short but a lot of fun. Arkham City was short and gritty but the combat was fun.

As for the worst, BF3 and MW3 look too much like every other Military FPS out there for me to really care about them. They both look stunning but they lack the story behind everything. Skyrim looks more appealing to me but it's missing something I cant put my finger on. I want to believe that it's well done and that I will like it but there's just something that makes me not want to play it.

But the worst "new" game would have to go to Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 later this month. Capcom should get arrested for selling this rip-off of a game. No new innovation, no story, but 12 new characters. 12 characters for retail price. No thank you.

i don't "hate" any game but i particularly don't like a whole lot of FPS games... so my #1 game for this wave is Skyrim and my least favorite would be one of the FPS games... although there are a ton of FPS lovers in the US... im the odd man out and i stand firm with my love for the Japanese style games (RPGs mostly)

• Like 1

My vote for the overall best game goes to Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. From what I have played so far the game is absolutely stellar The voice acting is phenomenal, the writing and story is wonderful, the controls are fantastic and nothing ever feels tacked on for the sake of trying to sell copies of the game. This is by far the best Uncharted game (in my opinion, of course) and I feel like it is certainly better than anything else that has released this year and looking at the games coming out, I think it has those beat as far as fun factor and playability as well.

My vote for worst game, as much as it pains me to type it, goes to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I think the game is going to be fantastic, don't get me wrong, but the engine is brand new and the developers don't exactly have a spotless record for making a bug free game. White having some bugs isn't a huge deal, when you are placed against games like Uncharted and CoD even the slightest of annoyances start to get more and more annoying. I'm still getting Skyrim on release day (my wife actually pre-ordered the Collector's Edition for me) but I have a nagging feeling that it will b the game that won't live up to it's hype.

Parker

• 2 weeks later...

The best overall game would be a tie for me. It would be between Uncharted 3 and Batman AC. It's really hard to tell which of the two are better to me, but atm U3 has a slight lead. MW3 and BF3 seem to fall back to the generic fps that are really popular right now and rely on that popularity for advancement. Honestly, MW3 seems more like dlc for MW2 to me and just isn't anything new. I may get around to playing them one day. Finally Skyrim. I wish I would've taken the opportunity to play Oblivion when I had the chance. Now I have no idea what the hype is about. One day I may try that too.

I have to agree with Kitty about the worst release being anything Capcom. Come up with something new please and stop with the cash grabs.

Best: Battlefield 3

It's the only new game I got from that list so I guess it's the only one I can talk about for 'Best'. The graphics, lighting and sound are superb. The campaign wasn't as short as some people say and was decent and had a solid story IMO. I really had fun on levels like 'Operation Guillotine', 'Kaffarov', 'Comrades' and a few others that I forgot the names of. There are 26 vehicles that have a lot of unlockables, tons of guns and tons of things that you can put on your guns that can literally transform your gun for any given situation. I.e you could take an M416 and put a PKS-07 (7x) scope, a bipod and a Heavy Barrel for sniping or you could put a Reflex sight, a foregrip and a suppressor for close quarters. The maps are enormous and there are a lot of different modes that you can play on. Co-op is pretty good too, it kinda has it's own story line with a little summary about the level before you choose it to play.

The game does have several bugs. I've experienced some moments where the sound just shits the bed and everything gets quiet as if everyone stopped fighting, but I could still hear my own footsteps and see vehicles driving by and buildings blowing up. I've also experienced some rubberbanding while playing the co-op with CodeNameMclovin. Rubberbanding is when you're moving and then you get flung forward or backward as if by a rubber band. I haven't really encountered any other flaws and the flaws I mentioned aren't gamebreakers. Overall, the game is fantastic and I'll be playing it for quite some time. 8/10

Worst: Modern Warfare 3

It may sound unfair since I don't have MW3 yet, but this is the one game that I've heard the most negative comments about from fans. I've heard a lot of people say that the campaign is nice, but that it's pretty much a copy and paste of MW2 while others say that it's a mixture between MW1 and MW2. terror has said that the graphics engine looks exactly the same on MW1 and MW2 and that all of the weapons pretty much sound the same. Some people say that the maps in the MP are really small and mostly consist of corridors with multiple routes which I guess was made to discourage camping. I heard that there still are people camping... a player will eventually find a good spot. Although there have been some negative comments, a majority of the comments I read were positive. Then again, that person actually enjoyed it or maybe they just like anything with COD stamped on it. Overall, I think this is the COD that has been hated on the most by hardcore fans... well at least that's how I see it.

I can't really put a score on this since I based this little review thingy on other peoples comments. I guess the only thing I can look forward to in MW2.5 is the Spec Ops since I really enjoyed it on MW2. ?/10

Best: Although UMvC3 isn't released yet, I am hyped for that game more than any in the poll. In the poll I have only played MW3 and Skyrim in PC. Both are solid games, but not good enough for me to get them on PS3 for trophies.

Worst: Uncharted 3. I haven't played this game, but I hate the previous 2 installments.

I think that some of the love for Oblivion was in the wow factor it had, for it's open world, that was really the first of it's kind- now that it doesn't have that, it won't live up to expectation.

Morrowind came before Oblivion, and had such an open world my little peanut brain at the time never had any idea where to go without a guide. If anything Oblivion got a lot of flack from Elder Scrolls fans for hand-holding too much.

The hype for Skyrim probably isn't/wasn't as much as the "open world" as it is the way they crammed 300+ hours of content and a heartily improved (albeit somewhat buggy) engine into the formula. Whether or not that's enough to make individuals GOTY lists, is in the eye of the beholder. :P You could argue Oblivion made similar improvements over Morrowind though and still won people over.

I'll say Skyrim is the best, followed very closely by Uncharted 3. Skyrim is just massive (both in terms of story and scale), gorgeous and barring some framerate issues... has very few real problems. The improvements from Oblivion are significant.

Worst, I'll say is Battlefield 3. Admittedly, I haven't played it outside of the beta but it's both the game that appeals to me the least, and I can't say I've heard great things about the console release. I think a lacking console release is clouded by "fanboys" talking it up and the barrage of gorgeous PC screenshots and gameplay videos. Not that the console release is bad, but again, I really haven't heard or seen anything great. For a game heralded as the Call of Duty killer and the next coming, I don't think 'good' is good enough.

Worst, I'll say is Battlefield 3. Admittedly, I haven't played it outside of the beta but it's both the game that appeals to me the least, and I can't say I've heard great things about the console release. I think a lacking console release is clouded by "fanboys" talking it up and the barrage of gorgeous PC screenshots and gameplay videos. Not that the console release is bad, but again, I really haven't heard or seen anything great. For a game heralded as the Call of Duty killer and the next coming, I don't think 'good' is good enough.

Although I haven't played either game, I haven't heard or read anything stellar about any of these two games to be honest. IMHO, "fanboys" and their pea-headed, narrow minded opinions do not and will never qualify as a sound or quality opinion or review. Those that I know who have played and play BF3 say it is fun and they enjoy it (same with CoD), but outside of that, neither camp of players who are honest in their opinions are giving either game a glowing "best game ever" type of review.

As a huge fan of Battlefield (both Bad Co. and Battlefield), I wasn't too impressed with the BETA of BF3, which kind of sucked as I had such high hopes for the game, but the BETA didn't show me much. Although I am a fan, I am far from a "fanboy", and I sure as hell ain't about to plunk down $60 on a game that is pretty much mediocre at best and declare it superior just because it carries the franchise name.

...but there are plenty of "sheeple" out there who do and will.