Goodbye to Uncle Phil and The Shredder :(

Dr_Mayus

So it was reported that the actor James Avery passed away :(. I always loved Uncle Phil and of course the Shredder. Just thought I would pass this on.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/01/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/james-avery-obit/

(CNN) -- Actor James Avery, who played the beloved Uncle Phil on the hit 1990s sitcom "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," died Tuesday, his publicist confirmed. He was 65.

His "Fresh Prince" co-star Alfonso Ribeiro tweeted news of Avery's passing.

"I'm deeply saddened to say that James Avery has passed away," Riberio tweeted. "He was a second father to me. I will miss him greatly.

A classically trained actor and poet, Avery grew up in Atlantic City, New Jersey, where he was raised by a single mother. He served in the Navy during the Vietnam War and first appeared onscreen as a dancer in an uncredited role in the 1980 film "The Blues Brothers."

According to IMDb, after he served in the military, Avery moved to San Diego, California, where he began writing TV scripts and poetry for PBS.

"I knew I loved the arts," Avery said in an interview for the show "Unscripted." "I knew I wanted to be a writer, but the theater was something I had been involved in before."

Avery appeared in multiple TV shows and movies including as the voice of Shredder in the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." But his most famous role was as Phillip Banks, the stern but loving uncle to Will Smith's character on "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air."

• Like 1

Read this earlier and couldn't help but feel kinda down. Fresh Prince was one of those shows almost ANYBODY had seen at least once in their lifetime and Uncle Phil was an awesome character. R.I.P.

I think it is one of the few shows that if you begin singing the theme in a group there will be at least 1 person who will know the words :)

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

Shame...Fresh Prince was one of those shows in the 90s where you liked everyone in the cast.  R.I.P. Uncle Phil  :(

Damn shame. Wonder what happened since 65 isn't super old.

Strange a different news story said he was 68  :unsure:

It was stated that he died from complications of open heart surgery.

Edited by Starrk_01