Good shmup games for a beginner?

Thedah

Gleylancer and Gynoug: both have a rewind function, which make them easy to complete.

Game Tengoku CruisinMix Special and Cotton Reboot: cute em ups with selectable difficult settings.

Shikhondo Soul Eater: short, korean bullet hell shooter. Easy to get through but the platinum has some harder trophies (1cc and 2 player ones).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's a PS2 game, but one to try is Gigawing Generations. GWG is a Japanese import and it's also had an European release. You have a reflect force shield and there's a point-blank mechanic. Killed enemies give you a base value up to 10M depending on distance. It may look a little hard at first, but it's not so bad once you get down which bullet patterns to use the shield against. I'd rate the difficulty on this one a medium. It's not cheap, going for $120 or more on eBay. This needs a PS4 release badly.

Capcom also has the first Giga Wing (CPS-II) game in their Arcade Stadium for a couple dollars. It's another good choice.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tons of great suggestions here. I'd add:

AngerForce: Reloaded is an easy and fun one. If I remember correctly, it also has permanent upgrades to purchase, which helps with giving a sense of progression.

Black Paradox is a pretty neat vaporwave-type side-scroller, where you can unlock some boosts to help with further runs. It's no super easy, but not terribly hard either? (In other words, I'm not amazing at shoot'em ups, and I have the plat)

Shikhondo: Soul Eater isn't too bad to finish, but getting the No Continue trophies, as with most other games of this type, is what pushes the platinum to UR.

Last, I just started Space Moth: Lunar Edition. Hard to say just how tough it will be but... ah, who am I kidding, looks like that one will be tough as nails too.

• Like 1

On 2022-01-07 at 0:08 PM, Vergil said:

Low

Soldner X2, R-Type Dimensions, Under defeat HD, Caladrius Blaze, Battle Garegga, Dangun Feveron , Ketsui.

Medium

Ghost Blade, Raiden V, Astebreed, 

Hard

Jamestown+ , Raystorm HD , Mamorukun curse, 

Soldner X , Darius Burst , Ikaruga, Raiden IV , Rival megagun, Fast striker, Sine Mora , Deathsmiles. 

Also i would suggest Rive and Assault android cactus, Cuphead and my personal favorite Hardcorps uprising. 

Not traditional shmups, but mixed with platforming.  

Im gonna add a few. 

Psyvariar Delta, Sorcer Striker, Rolling Gunner, Eschatos , Shikhondo Soul Eater. Sol Cresta.

The ps4 library is quite big for shmups actually. 

Edited by Vergil
  • Like 3