Buying A Playstation 3 in 2022

Skullahh

3 hours ago, Janire1911 said:

Could've gotten cheaper ones too if I'd bought from a private seller but I'd rather pay a little extra so that I'll more likely get a good unit with warranty.

That was the right decision.  If you bought one off Ebay or wherever, and it stopped working after a month, you'd be screwed since you wouldn't have any kind of guarantee.  It's always worth paying a little bit more if it gives you that peace of mind that you wouldn't get from a private seller.

On 08/02/2022 at 4:26 PM, MonaSaxPayne said:

no way around it, new sealed PS3s are gonna be expensive

if u can afford it, you'll have peace of mind tho

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154810664121?epid=100299018&hash=item240b6f44b9:g:VfMAAOSwYh5h12Lj

Well yeah obviously sealed one's are expensive thats what I said. But handing over almost 2 grand for one is hilarious. No way I'd pay that much for what is essentially almost 20 year old hardware

On 1/29/2022 at 5:53 PM, arcanehornet_ said:

As for CFW, i’m pretty sure you can tell by going into System Settings and checking the console firmware version. But to be honest, you should factory reset the console as soon as you get it to eliminate all those potential issues in one fell swoop

tbf, if the PS3 was jailbroken, it's likely being sold due to being console banned. Factory reset won't do anything about that. 

But regardless, it's definitely worth getting a PS3 just to play all those games that never got ported/remastered to PS4/PS5, like Black Ops 1/2, World at War, Portal 1/2, God of War series, inFamous series, Prince of Persia series, Mirror's Edge, Arkham Origins, Ratchet series, Sly Cooper series, various LEGO games, Ultimate ninja Storm Revolution, etc. If PS5 offered PS3 backwards compatibility, then, yeah, no reason to buy one, but alas. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 2/2/2022 at 6:54 AM, Z1MZUM said:

The X and O are reversed though it doesn't matter in game. I'm using the One Piece Limited edition with a 1tb drive and its pretty much perfect. I also got the FF13 edition boxed, There's no doubt the Japanese gamers look after their gear and tbh was the main reason I bought from there.

I mean it was to celebrate the Console and I thought may as well do it now before they are ten times the cost.

Edit: I might add that I also have a Lim Edition MGS5 PS4 from Japan and never reversed the X and O back to western style

Hi I am also looking at a Japanese PS3 version. But I would like to clarify what you mean by the button layout in games.

While playing games, is the button layout reversed as well? for example in shooter games X is for jumping. Is it still X for jumping on the JP console?

Also I will add that I will mostly using EU disc version of games.

I am asking this because I have seen mixed answers.

14 hours ago, WhiteAndNerdy139 said:

Hi I am also looking at a Japanese PS3 version. But I would like to clarify what you mean by the button layout in games.

While playing games, is the button layout reversed as well? for example in shooter games X is for jumping. Is it still X for jumping on the JP console?

Also I will add that I will mostly using EU disc version of games.

I am asking this because I have seen mixed answers.

From my experience western games keep the classic X/O layout, only difference is when you save a game. So it is mainly the OS and Japanese titles that will reverse. There are a few exceptions but very few.

• 4 months later...

I’m surprised about the negative reception of the super slim on the first few pages here, especially on how it looks. I’ve had all three models and the super slim is my overall favourite. 

Obviously the original was the most stylish and pretty, but I’ve always thought the super slim was a vast improvement looks-wise over the first slim which was a really weird square-shape and looked squashed/flattened. Really basic/cheap looking too.

I also love the sliding lid of the super slim. So retro, and so handy that you can replace discs while the system is off. No more switching it off to remember you’ve left a disc in and needing to boot it up again. It reminds me of my PS one days.

I think it looks great vertical too on its chrome stand. Definitely better than the normal slim in that profile. But yeah, even if you don’t care about the aesthetics, the super slim just simply runs better: quieter, cooler, more power efficient, I think faster too, and they generally have larger HDDs (up to 500 GB). 

Edited by VeldinX

On 6/16/2023 at 3:40 AM, VeldinX said:

I’m surprised about the negative reception of the super slim on the first few pages here, especially on how it looks. I’ve had all three models and the super slim is my overall favourite. 

Obviously the original was the most stylish and pretty, but I’ve always thought the super slim was a vast improvement looks-wise over the first slim which was a really weird square-shape and looked squashed/flattened. Really basic/cheap looking too.

I also love the sliding lid of the super slim. So retro, and so handy that you can replace discs while the system is off. No more switching it off to remember you’ve left a disc in and needing to boot it up again. It reminds me of my PS one days.

I think it looks great vertical too on its chrome stand. Definitely better than the normal slim in that profile. But yeah, even if you don’t care about the aesthetics, the super slim just simply runs better: quieter, cooler, more power efficient, I think faster too, and they generally have larger HDDs (up to 500 GB). 

Yeah no...the Super Slim works perfectly fine, does it's job well. But it's one of the ugliest consoles I've ever seen. It also feels super cheap, and I was never a fan of the sliding door.