Buying A Playstation 3 in 2022

Skullahh

I've been thinking about buying a ps3. Mainly to play some older titles and for the novelty of just having it in my possession. However my biggest gripe, aside from sealed one's costing over a grand on eBay and what not is buying a used one that's been refurbished. I'm going to sound paranoid with what I'm about to say but is it safe to add my already existing PSN account to a pre-owned ps3? As in, is it possible for someone to tamper with the hardware that could potentially put my account at risk of anything malicious?

20 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

If you pick up a refurbished or 2nd hand PS3, just do a factory reset. There aren’t any hardware mods so if someone did install custom firmware, a factory reset or official firmware update will get you back on original firmware and you’ll have nothing to worry about. 

There's 1 hardware mod, but it's for using a 65nm or 40nm RSX instead of the 90nm on the phats

I highly recommend getting, just factory reset and create a new user to login to your account, bought mine from eBay on September 2021, been having a blast with and caught up on so many games that i didn't play back in the day.

Just 1 word of caution, never ever buy the original fat PS3's, always look for a good slim version, even the super slims aren't good and as a bonus you get to play your PS1 discs too which is always nice.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

There's 1 hardware mod, but it's for using a 65nm or 40nm RSX instead of the 90nm on the phats

Yup, that’s not going to have anything to do with cfw so it’s only adding confusion explaining it to someone who isn’t asking about that though. 

1 hour ago, arcanehornet_ said:

Two things you should be cautious about is custom firmware (CFW) and pre-existing accounts on the console.

You can make blank users on PS3 without signing into PSN. So the previous owner could very well have earned trophies on a blank account like that. What you should do is make a brand new user and sign into your PSN there.

I made the mistake of signing into PSN on a pre-existing user on the console..and a bunch of random trophies got synced to my account. 
Thankfully not a lot of them, I hid all those games from my profile. But still trophies I can never get truly rid of. Be careful.

As for CFW, i’m pretty sure you can tell by going into System Settings and checking the console firmware version. But to be honest, you should factory reset the console as soon as you get it to eliminate all those potential issues in one fell swoop.

I probably wouldn't make the mistake of signing into psn on an already existing account. I would honestly try and distant my account from everything as far as possible. But yes I see a lot of people replying to this thread with the same solution of just factory reset to avoid modded firmware. Which I didnt think it was that simple but I guess it must be. Thank you for replying.

• Like 2

I'd say it isn't a problem if you delete the original profile and create a new one. I don't know if it helps, but my PSP was always modded and there were "illegal" games inside (I didn't know since I was a child). I logged in with my account last year and nothing happened, and I used the same profile since PSP doesn't allow you to create profiles.

• Like 1

First off, it’s absolutely worth buying a PS3 in 2022. In fact I think there has never been a better time to buy one. You can pick up a newer model Slim/Super Slim for dirt cheap if you buy used or refurbished (I bought mine for $80 CAD like 4 years ago, along with some controllers and games), and used PS3 games are dirt cheap these days. I have a couple hundred games I’ve purchased in the last few years from Craigslist, Pawn Shops, Ma & Pa game stores etc. and usually pay anywhere between $2-10 for a game on average. You can often find huge bundles of games on places like E-bay too being sold for a few dollars each.

PS3 gaming is plentiful, and cheap! ?

If you buy a used console online it’s very unlikely that you’d purchase one with CFW or that has been tampered with (they are usually advertised as having CFW if this is the case as some people actively seek modded consoles out), and even more unlikely that something would happen to your account.

However, if you’re worried and want peace of mind, I’d recommend buying a refurbished one from a game shop rather than going the Craigslist/E-Bay route. I’m sure your city has several used video game stores like mine does. You might pay a few more bucks, but these refurbished consoles come with the benefit of having been cleaned, wiped, tested out, and usually come with a controller or two and maybe even a couple games, not to mention a warranty in case the console/controller is faulty or something happens.

Go for it bro!

• Like 4

Just buy one from a shop, CEX is a good place to buy as they test the consoles. If you buy anywhere else its unlikely the person would wouldn't say it has CFW as it sells for more. Also i would go for the Super Slim, very quiet.

I've mostly played PS3 past few months, i just enjoy it a lot more. I hate PS4, lots of good games but absolute garbage hardware imo. PS4 put me off buying a PS5. Every time i use my PS4 my first thought is does my controller still work or is it another broken one.. put a game in.. is the fan going to go nuts!... Check forums to see if the game is riddled with issues... Last time i went to use my PS4 Pro the game i wanted to play had an update.. after waiting for it to download it started the ridiculous copying, then after 20min i turned it off and haven't turned it back on since. 

PS3. Same controller for 12yrs. Fan always silent. I can't remember the last time i had an issue with a game/unobtainable trophies (other than offline servers) I put a game in, if it has an update its downloaded and installed in 30sec. 

Sorry for the rant, but for me PS3 = Happy Gaming. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

Just buy one from a shop, CEX is a good place to buy as they test the consoles. If you buy anywhere else its unlikely the person would wouldn't say it has CFW as it sells for more. Also i would go for the Super Slim, very quiet.

I've mostly played PS3 past few months, i just enjoy it a lot more. I hate PS4, lots of good games but absolute garbage hardware imo. PS4 put me off buying a PS5. Every time i use my PS4 my first thought is does my controller still work or is it another broken one.. put a game in.. is the fan going to go nuts!... Check forums to see if the game is riddled with issues... Last time i went to use my PS4 Pro the game i wanted to play had an update.. after waiting for it to download it started the ridiculous copying, then after 20min i turned it off and haven't turned it back on since. 

PS3. Same controller for 12yrs. Fan always silent. I can't remember the last time i had an issue with a game/unobtainable trophies (other than offline servers) I put a game in, if it has an update its downloaded and installed in 30sec. 

Sorry for the rant, but for me PS3 = Happy Gaming. 

I was looking at the regular slims. The super slim looks a bit weird in my opinion but at the same time if its quieter than I'm kinda stumped. 

Yeah the ps4 is known to have an awful console design when talking technically. I avoid physical copies of games of it because whenever I put them in they also seem to make the console louder. 

3 hours ago, Skullahh said:

I was looking at the regular slims. The super slim looks a bit weird in my opinion but at the same time if its quieter than I'm kinda stumped.

In my personal experience there are loud super slims and quiet regular slims. Generally speaking, yes the super slim is quieter, but I wouldn't 100% write that in stone.

I have one of each, and IMO the super slim is definitely the ugliest. I don't love the top loader either. Ugly & hard to dust, but one thing you don't have to worry about is stuck discs!

Main reason I'm commenting is I wanted to recommend that you get a solid state drive (SSD) for whatever PS3 you decide to go with. My super slim runs so much cooler & quieter with one. By most accounts it's a good way to increase your systems lifespan.

• Like 1

I just want a goddamn PS3 controller that's the REAL thing. Sooooooo many counterfeit fake PS3 controllers out there. Amazon.com has been facing some serious problems with counterfeit products, something that we've all had to deal with these past couple years.

A word of warning to anybody reading this, do not buy from third party sellers, especially on Amazon. I bought a PS3 controller years ago from a third party seller. Looked and seemed like the real thing. But once I put my hands around the controller and started using the buttons, I knew it was a fake.

There's a definite difference between a fake and real PS3 controller.

The fake controller feels off. Buttons do not feel quite right. The analog sticks aren't nearly as good, don't support as many directional movements, and I believe the buttons X, Circle, Square and Triangle all register one real command.

The real controller feels a lot more comfortable on the hands. Buttons feel slick and responsive. Analog sticks feel smoother and the edges aren't so damn sharp. It supports more directional movements and holding/tapping the buttons do different commands.

I'm going to have to test out Metal Gear Solid 2 because many of the button commands do different things depending on whether you hold or simply tap the buttons. The fake controller is not good for this, based on what I read from other people and in reviews.

Also, the fake controller has a considerably shorter battery life, just to let you guys know.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Skullahh said:

Yeah the ps4 is known to have an awful console design when talking technically. I avoid physical copies of games of it because whenever I put them in they also seem to make the console louder. 

I've had a few Slims and they were all loud and ran very hot! I have 3 Super Slims and they are very quiet and run cool. Good thing about a Slim is if you plan to take it apart to clean and repaste its very easy to take apart, Super Slim is also easy though. 

I have all the models, and my recommendation is to buy a slim model. my least favorite was the super slim, it's just too noisy when running discs and gets very hot.

the fat died a decade ago, the super slim about 2 years ago and the slim is in great condition. i can't see myself without a ps3, there are simply too many good games to ignore. titles I missed like dead space trilogy, alone in the dark, Sillent Hill, mgs etc.

1 hour ago, kevao97 said:

I have all the models, and my recommendation is to buy a slim model. my least favorite was the super slim, it's just too noisy when running discs and gets very hot.

the fat died a decade ago, the super slim about 2 years ago and the slim is in great condition. i can't see myself without a ps3, there are simply too many good games to ignore. titles I missed like dead space trilogy, alone in the dark, Sillent Hill, mgs etc.

You must've got unlucky, something isn't right if a Super Slim gets hot. Sounds like a dodgy power supply or bad ventilation. They only have a 32nm Cell and a 28nm RSX. Super Slims dying is very rare. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

You must've got unlucky, something isn't right if a Super Slim gets hot. Sounds like a dodgy power supply or bad ventilation. They only have a 32nm Cell and a 28nm RSX. Super Slims dying is very rare. 

he didn't exactly die, I'll clarify. but he has a hyperventilation problem. as soon as i turn it on it will hyperventilate in an extremely noisy manner and if i persist the console will automatically shut down. I was no longer able to play discs either, only digital. he is still "partially alive", but I would need to restore his health and I don't have the tech knowledge or money for that right now.

I've had this console since 2012, it lasted about 8 years without any major problem, the issue of the discs that I mentioned is more a design aesthetic issue, I don't like the disc being on top of the console and producing that noise, the slim is 100 % silent

Edited by kevao97
add info