Buying A Playstation 3 in 2022

Skullahh

As someone who still plays PS3 regularly, I...think that a purchase now is a bad idea. It would be one thing if you could find games for relatively cheap, but physicals are costly, and the PSN store hasn't been updated in years, and the games are absurdly priced.

(I know people are discussing CFW, but that's out of my knowledge space, and the terribly priced games alone is reason enough to nix a purchase.)

Edited by starcrunch061

Don't bother looking for a new one, because it's far too much money.

Go for a Slim or Super Slim. If you want a Phat, be careful. They are more prone to hardware failure. 

Registering your PSN account to a PS3 is very annoying, and you wanna make sure you stay signed in. 

You have to remove saved credit card info from your PSN account in order to buy things on the PS3 Store. It doesn't matter how much is in your wallet, it will keep giving an error message that it needs to authenticate a credit card.

A PS3 still has tons of uses but be prepared for many hiccups and annoyances. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Skullahh said:

I was looking at the regular slims. The super slim looks a bit weird in my opinion but at the same time if its quieter than I'm kinda stumped. 

There are pros and cons for both. The biggest flaw with the design and aesthetic of the Super Slim is the sliding plastic lid that covers the disc drive. It’s just a thin piece of plastic that looks and feels incredibly cheap and flimsy. It’s an ugly design that doesn’t even compare to the sleek and sturdy design of the Slim.

However, if you don’t care so much about looks then there are numerous benefits. The top loader does allow immediate access to the disc drive for easy cleaning/repairs, the HDD usually has more space by default (mine is 500GB), and the machine runs cool and very quiet compared to the other PS3 slim models. As long as you keep it in a well ventilated place, you will hardly even know it’s running, and even after hours of play time it hardly heats up at all or makes a peep. It’s looks like shit, but performs very well.

I love the Slim model, but for me the Super Slim was a no brainer due to the increase hard drive space and the performance. I have never regretted my purchase.

• Like 3

I still use my PS3 to play games that didn't make it to the remake/remaster zone and it's a great experience if you're looking for great stories (a lot of hidden gems). My only advice is look out for PS3 controllers they are super rare and very hard to come by.

• Like 1

A few days ago, I was browsing around the internet for a playstation 4/5 on my country's biggest online retailers and while I was able to find few ps5 units and also some ps4 units, all heavily overpriced (More than the usual in my country). Then funnily enough, when searching for ps4/ps5, suddenly I was getting a lot of new/used ps3 listings for sale, something that never happened before. And strangely enough, the prices were very good, especially for new units of ps3 (Super slim models), that after currency conversion goes for about U$260.00, which okay, isn't cheap, but at the same it isn't that expensive for a brand new console that is 2 generations old.

I think this is happening, specifically in my country, because of the PS4/PS5 units shortage around the world, sellers started to push more their playstation 3 units since they have much else in playstation console department to sell. Still, very interesting to see this fenomena.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

As someone who still plays PS3 regularly, I...think that a purchase now is a bad idea. It would be one thing if you could find games for relatively cheap, but physicals are costly, and the PSN store hasn't been updated in years, and the games are absurdly priced.

(I know people are discussing CFW, but that's out of my knowledge space, and the terribly priced games alone is reason enough to nix a purchase.)

I dont think costly games would turn me off from buying a PS3. As for one, there are some games on the Playstation 3 that I cant play anywhere else. Also physical copies are really cheap at least where I've been looking. In under 35 ish dollars I was able to find Far Cry 3, Metal Gear's 2, 3 and 4, and Red Dead Redemption. Thats a pretty sweet deal at least in my opinion. However yeah I plan to avoid digital copies. Mainly due to the fact I'd like to start a little collection of my favourite titles. But yeah I wouldn't mind paying a little extra if its something I really really want.

• Like 1

I'd say go for it before they end up cutting the PS3 off for good.

I just recently back in December bought a clean used 320gb PS3 Slim off of eBay for like $150 and a handful of awesome physical games as well for another $50ish. A lot of PS3 games are relatively cheap on eBay if you buy used unless you're trying to find some of the gems of that era which are kinda ridiculously priced, but that's to be expected with legacy consoles at this point. 

13 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

I bought 2 Limited Editions recently from Japan, Both in excellent condition.

In both cases I replaced the HDD's completely just to be sure

Yeah I was looking at the final fantasy lightening edition. The one that’s white and pink. Very nice looking console but the Japanese exclusive thing kinda throws me off because I’ve heard over there button mapping on the controller is slightly different. Which is a shame because I really like the look of that FF limited edition console. 

10 hours ago, Skullahh said:

Yeah I was looking at the final fantasy lightening edition. The one that’s white and pink. Very nice looking console but the Japanese exclusive thing kinda throws me off because I’ve heard over there button mapping on the controller is slightly different. Which is a shame because I really like the look of that FF limited edition console. 

The X and O are reversed though it doesn't matter in game. I'm using the One Piece Limited edition with a 1tb drive and its pretty much perfect. I also got the FF13 edition boxed, There's no doubt the Japanese gamers look after their gear and tbh was the main reason I bought from there.

I mean it was to celebrate the Console and I thought may as well do it now before they are ten times the cost.

Edit: I might add that I also have a Lim Edition MGS5 PS4 from Japan and never reversed the X and O back to western style

Edited by Z1MZUM

21 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

The X and O are reversed though it doesn't matter in game. I'm using the One Piece Limited edition with a 1tb drive and its pretty much perfect. I also got the FF13 edition boxed, There's no doubt the Japanese gamers look after their gear and tbh was the main reason I bought from there.

I mean it was to celebrate the Console and I thought may as well do it now before they are ten times the cost.

Edit: I might add that I also have a Lim Edition MGS5 PS4 from Japan and never reversed the X and O back to western style

I see, so the reversed button's are only for the homescreen. I could handle that though it would take some getting used to and probably throw me for a loop when switching between the ps4 and ps3. If I ever have the money and I see one of those Final Fantasy edition consoles I might pick it up. Thank You for letting me know

Edited by Skullahh
  • Like 1

I've too been really interested in getting a PS3, I've never owned one before. I found an online retailer here in Finland that still has a few new 12GB Super Slims in stock though I'm not sure I'd like to pay 340€ for one of those. I do have an extra 250GB SSD that I'm not using that I could chuck in there but then I'd also need to get an HDD bracket. Used PS3s seem to vary between 50 - 170€ depending on the model and whether or not it includes a controller and all the original cables.

There's still a few things I'd like know before I pull the trigger though:

1. I assume the majority of PS3 at this time have either a dead or dying CMOS battery and replacing it is a hassle since you pretty much have to disassemble the entire console but as far as I understand this shouldn't be a problem as long as you connect to PSN every time you boot the console?

2. I read a while ago that PS3 consoles were randomly getting banned because of stolen/cracked hardware IDs, is this still a problem and can this lead to any problems with my account? I absolutely will not do anything that would put my account in danger of being banned.

Edited by Janire1911

3 minutes ago, Janire1911 said:

There's still a few things I'd like know before I pull the trigger though:

1. I assume the majority of PS3 at this time have either a dead or dying CMOS battery and replacing it is a hassle since you pretty much have to disassemble the entire console but as far as I understand this shouldn't be a problem as long as you connect to PSN every time you boot the console?

2. I read a while ago that PS3 consoles were randomly getting banned because of stolen/cracked hardware IDs, is this still a problem and can this lead to any problems with my account? I absolutely will not do anything that would put my account in danger of being banned.

1. No, the majority of PS3s don’t have a dead cmos battery. If you look at batteries as dying the second they start being used, then sure, they’re all dying, but those batteries consistently go 20+ years at a time. I’ve got too many 20-25 year old pc motherboards with the same batteries still working today. They should be replaced as needed, and generally should be expected to have at least a 10 year lifespan, but for the great majority of PS3 owners, the batteries are fine. If you connect to PSN any time you get a prompt to set the date and time at boot on a PS3, this alleviates the problem of missing timestamps. 
2. That issue seems to have been widely overblown. Lots of those people claiming bans seem to have their consoles unbanned over time and there haven’t been any predictable patterns around the alleged issue. Also, they were allegedly console bans, not account bans, meaning the accounts weren’t affected, the consoles just couldn’t get on PSN for a period of time. The story looks like complete speculation to try to explain some allegations. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

1. No, the majority of PS3s don’t have a dead cmos battery. If you look at batteries as dying the second they start being used, then sure, they’re all dying, but those batteries consistently go 20+ years at a time. I’ve got too many 20-25 year old pc motherboards with the same batteries still working today. They should be replaced as needed, and generally should be expected to have at least a 10 year lifespan, but for the great majority of PS3 owners, the batteries are fine. If you connect to PSN any time you get a prompt to set the date and time at boot on a PS3, this alleviates the problem of missing timestamps. 
2. That issue seems to have been widely overblown. Lots of those people claiming bans seem to have their consoles unbanned over time and there haven’t been any predictable patterns around the alleged issue. Also, they were allegedly console bans, not account bans, meaning the accounts weren’t affected, the consoles just couldn’t get on PSN for a period of time. The story looks like complete speculation to try to explain some allegations. 

Thanks for the answers. The CMOS battery issue wouldn't be that big of an issue anyway but good to know that you probably won't have to deal with it. What worried me more was the console banning issue and if it could lead to any sort account bans, from what I read I got the impression that it was a widespread issue that affected a large portion of PS3 users.

51 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

That issue seems to have been widely overblown. Lots of those people claiming bans seem to have their consoles unbanned over time and there haven’t been any predictable patterns around the alleged issue. Also, they were allegedly console bans, not account bans, meaning the accounts weren’t affected, the consoles just couldn’t get on PSN for a period of time. The story looks like complete speculation to try to explain some allegations. 

Wasn't overblown whatsoever. Its a widespread issue that is still happening. 

Edited by GUDGER666

3 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

Wasn't overblown whatsoever. Its a widespread issue that is still happening. 

Is the risk of your console getting banned smaller if you don't play any online games with it, you'd just connect it to possibly buy games on the store and to sync trophies?

11 minutes ago, Janire1911 said:

Is the risk of your console getting banned smaller if you don't play any online games with it, you'd just connect it to possibly buy games on the store and to sync trophies?

There is no collected data to make a factual risk assessment in the manner you’re asking. It’s all

been completely speculated. 

I wouldn't buy now (I am assuming you have PS4 or PS5) and wait for at least 2-3 months until we hear more about the new PSN service (Spartacus). There is huge chance that it may be something similar to Xbox Game Pass and including lots of old PS3 games that could be played on newer consoles.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:37 AM, Janire1911 said:

I don't think so tbh, Just replace the HDD or factory reset if second hand. If it's brand new then no problem.

I think the PS3 hacks are under control now and I've been playing edf online for weeks with a bit of old school COD here and there. Allot of hackers in COD but there always was and always will be.

An actual PS3 would be far better then some gamepass like service.

On 1/29/2022 at 4:21 PM, Skullahh said:

I've been thinking about buying a ps3. Mainly to play some older titles and for the novelty of just having it in my possession. However my biggest gripe, aside from sealed one's costing over a grand on eBay and what not is buying a used one that's been refurbished.

no way around it, new sealed PS3s are gonna be expensive

if u can afford it, you'll have peace of mind tho

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154810664121?epid=100299018&hash=item240b6f44b9:g:VfMAAOSwYh5h12Lj

• Like 1

Can only write something from my PoV:

I live in Germany.

Bought a used PS3 SuperSlim (with 500 GB HDD included) 2 or 3 years ago from Gamestop.

Had one year of warranty included and paid 80€.

HDMI cable and USB cable was included, but no DS3.

The controllers are sold separately (used DS3 and new 3rd party) but was no problem for me since I had (and still have) enough DS3 already at home.

The console I mentioned is still working good. No issues.?

I recommend to everyone who needs a PS3 to search for a shop like Gamestop, where used consoles are at least checked and cleaned before they are sold. 

Also for games: Buy them used, at shops like Gamestop or visit flee markets. ?

And if somebody wants to go the CFW way: Just do not temper with trophies, because this will result in nothing good ?.

Last, but not least: Stay away from profiles, which are found on consoles which got no factory reset before they went to sell (this can happen when you buy a console from private sellers): Sometimes the trophies earned by these profiles ar cheated. So just do a factory reset and you should be fine.

Edited by Geridian
Info
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 4:37 PM, Janire1911 said:

There's nothing you can do to stop it, once someone uses your ID you will get the banned message when you try sign in. Imo Sony knows what happened and are covering it up. All i can say is sync your trophies and backup your saves before you sign out. 

On 2/6/2022 at 5:07 PM, Tirmata said:

I wouldn't buy now (I am assuming you have PS4 or PS5) and wait for at least 2-3 months until we hear more about the new PSN service (Spartacus). There is huge chance that it may be something similar to Xbox Game Pass and including lots of old PS3 games that could be played on newer consoles.

But that would be streaming only, and streaming sucks!

I decided to go for it and bought a used Super Slim 12GB that includes a DS3 and all the cables for 99€, hopefully I'll get it before the weekend. Could've gotten cheaper ones too if I'd bought from a private seller but I'd rather pay a little extra so that I'll more likely get a good unit with warranty.

• Like 2