Trophy thoughts: a smooth horror walking simulator

aimeraya

I've been waiting for this title for some time. The trophy set looks like really smooth. But it's still disappointing that PS4 and PS5 versions have been censored. 

News link: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/horror-game-martha-is-dead-will-be-censored-on-playstation-platforms/

"In a statement posted to Twitter, the team claimed that the Xbox and PC versions of the game would be unaffected. However exactly, which content has been removed from PlayStation platforms was not disclosed.

“Martha is Dead is a narrative adventure recommended for adult audiences only, with play consisting of potentially discomforting scenes and themes that may distress some players.”

The statement continues: “It is with regret that we have had to modify the experience on the PS5 and PS4 versions with some elements no longer playable."

Edited by aimeraya

If someone remembers the thing about that infamous scene - it wasn't deleted. The difference is that on Xbox and PC it's a QTE, on PS it's a cutscene. I don't know any other comparisons (don't really plan to watch a let's play rn), but well, some people expected worse stuff to happen, so, yay!

11 hours ago, turniplord said:

I'm not sure why the publisher hasn't come out and clarified the situation better - I can't talk about the game until later on today, but what I can say is a lot of YouTubers and sites have blown the situation way out of the water without having even played the game or seen what's changed.

I hate it when people read a single tweet and twist it to fit their own clickbait agenda

Welcome to the 21st Century. It's all any1 does nowadays. Take something they heard/read n run 46 blocks with it while twisting the twisting the narrative. I totally agree with u that the devs should of clarified the situation more but honestly even if they did we would probably still be having this conversation because ppl are...ppl?‍♀️

• Like 3

11 hours ago, turniplord said:

I'm not sure why the publisher hasn't come out and clarified the situation better - I can't talk about the game until later on today, but what I can say is a lot of YouTubers and sites have blown the situation way out of the water without having even played the game or seen what's changed.

I hate it when people read a single tweet and twist it to fit their own clickbait agenda

That's the biggest reason for all of the shit show we've been seeing these last 10 years or so.  It's all about the money *ehem* clicks.  Gotta laugh at those dudes getting angry over this issue a while ago LMAO!

Edited by milanbarca82

8 hours ago, Biscoito18 said:

Beautiful trophies arts, lots of gold and silver and a Platinum with a unique title. I'm very pleased.

Yes! They look similar to Tarot Card art. I guess that could be a hint of what the game is about.

Edit: The trophy names are indeed based off of Tarot Cards.

Edited by the_real_culture
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MsVelvet said:

Welcome to the 21st Century. It's all any1 does nowadays. Take something they heard/read n run 46 blocks with it while twisting the twisting the narrative. I totally agree with u that the devs should of clarified the situation more but honestly even if they did we would probably still be having this conversation because ppl are...ppl?‍♀️

It's for publicity, many people didn't knew about the game (like me), and we got introduced to the game. People reading the news could've thought "well, if it's censored I won't support it on PS, maybe on Xbox or PC", but then they see that the censore only applies to interactivity, so now they might be reconsidering and perhaps even purchasing the game.

If the devs would put it bluntly about what's the censorship about, it would make less buzz, all the channels turning the eyes to the game did help in long-turn.

https://www.gamepur.com/guides/martha-is-dead-playstation-censorship-explained

This explains what's been edited for the Playstation versions. Be warned it's a little spoilery.

TL;DR: There's a few gorey scenes that, while they still exist in the Playstation versions, will be non-interactive (they still retain their QTE sequences on Xbox and PC). The only thing that seems to have been outright removed is some dialogue. There is however, also a censored mode where you can cut out the aforementioned non-interactive scenes entirely, if you so choose. This does not exist on other platforms.

• Like 2

Here is what Sony will hold your hand through if you choose the PS version of the game. (Spoilers, obviously)

Spoiler
  • The face peeling scene is no longer interactive
  • The scene whereby Giulia cuts open Martha’s womb is no longer interactive
  • Option has been added to skip the censored scenes while they are playing
  • Disclaimer text at the start of the game has been updated. It is now more sensitive, clearer and includes the warning of miscarriage references
  • The Safe In Our World message which appears at the end providing a link where help can be found now also appears after the disclaimer at the start (all platforms)
  • Any mention of masturbation has been totally removed during The Church chapter as VO and text

And an optional, more censored version, if you choose to toggle it in options:

Spoiler
  • The face peeling scene is skipped. The scene returns when Giulia is holding Martha’s skin
  • The womb cutting scene is skipped
  • The direct miscarriage scene is skipped
  • Hanging scene is removed and the camera has a blur effect when focusing on the baby

From VGC

I am so glad we are safe from harm. Thank you, Sony.

• Like 1

Soooooooooo, about the trophy thoughts... It seems there's a big focus on the collectables (photos, diary pages, telephone calls, newspapers) and some locations that I'm not sure whether they're missable or unmissable. One full walkthrough I saw on YT was almost 6 hours long, so this shouldn't be a hard plat, just depends how annoying the collectables will be.

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, Maverick6146 said:

I am more interested to see the dialogs that got removed and was wondering how "offensive" they really are.

As of the scene mentioned everywhere I am OK one way or another. I would hate that QTE though. (Still hate that finger manipulation part in Heavy Rain)

As far as I'm aware, it's one piece of dialogue in the final scenes where she talks about

Spoiler

masturbating so hard she begins to bleed