All-new PlayStation Plus launches in June with 700+ games and more value than ever

I think with the new plans the only thing I'm wondering is if there will be a cheap upgrade option for those of us with just ps plus already.

For example personally I never saw the benefit of subscribing to PSNow as I own a number of the titles I would use the service for already. Further there's a number of titles that are kinda one and done with me. So I always enjoyed instead just subbing for a month here and there. Play the couple games I wanted top just for that month then forget it exists until something new pops up.

But this brings up the thing I currently prepaid my psplus during one of the sales so I have three years. If I now tack on a month of what was old PSNow do I get that month first plus psplus time added to my normal. Do I get a discount? Does it start right away then switch back or what?

I only wonder this because on Xbox side of things almost everyone uses either Ultimate or just Game Pass by itself. But strangely Sony has decided to so an all or nothing approach which I also must admit is confusing I feel for players too who are more offline focused and have no interest in ps plus. (Rare but have a couple friends like this.)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

Yea and if you really think about how netflix has ruined the movie industry from the quantity and quality of movies and Amazon the price point now it costs 6.99 to rent b class movies where as it used to cost 3.99 at blockbuster for top hollywood productions.  Not to mention amazon has a game loaded on a server for download blockbuster used to have to employee thousands of people and maintain about 1000 store fronts across the country.  The movies star is disappearing from existence.  Where are todays's 20 million a film actors?  don't got to pay them that much anymore people seem to be just as content sitting at home binge watching some b class series full of a bunch of actors you never heard of.  

Same thing is going to happen to gaming.  the quality of the games will be effected when they all realize people will settle for crap if you give it to them at a price point they can afford and they don't have to go outside their home and interact with people god forbid.  It's already happening if you think about it.  

I still think of gaming and movies as basically apples and oranges. Can't really compare the two as merely parallel unless we're talking about games becoming more like movies.

Call me biased, but I still think the 1980s - 2000s era in Hollywood cinema was vastly superior. There were a lot of bad movies, some were even horrendous, but at least they tried to provide genuine entertainment for everyone.

I recently watched The Sandlot (1993) and Cool Runnings (1993), made by different production companies and having quite the contrast in casting. But they had charm and a sense of class. Today's films tend to be gross and overindulge in one's fears. I feel like every couple films or so I'm watching either some pretentious Hipster garbage or some low budget, low effort film made by some snot nosed Millennials.

I'm probably going to be called old and given the Grandpa Simpson meme, but give me the old Power Rangers TV show or the first Toy Story movie over the bulk of crap that passes as entertainment today. Rumble in the Bronx with Jackie Chan I've probably watched some 20 odd times, and it's still highly entertaining. Can't have stunt artists anymore, too risky and too dangerous. Just crank out the next Marvel or DC superhero movie that was taken completely off of a comic book and put onto the big screen. All CGI, and completely manufactured.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:15 PM, KyuTrophies said:

We are so far past the point of this being really true.

The RPCS3 team have got their emulator running really well and on hardware far less powerful than a PS5.

If they can do it, Sony sure as hell can.

Everytime someone says 'oh the cell processor is far too complex to emulate' it just gives Sony a pass to not do the work.

Thank you. This.

On 4/5/2022 at 4:45 PM, Jelly Soup said:

These Plus and Gamepass type services all have the same issues Netflix and Prime have. A million choices at a cheap price means you'll pay for access all million options and use maybe ten or so. It's easy to say 'such and such is a service problem' when the problem is also the customer.

Eh, speak for yourself. I've played a fuckton of games off of PS Now. But even if you do play only ten games off the service, depending on the game those ten games can easily justify years of PS Now on their own. For instance, since Shadow Warrior 3 launched on PS Now, I'm able to play a game that would otherwise cost me 50$. Even if you account for the fact that I'd probably wait for a 25$ or below sale, that's still a few months of PS Now covered with a single game.

I mean, yeah, the average consumer is probably only going to download a game or two a month from PS Now and never really get their money's worth, but is it really fair to criticize a service based on people being lazy? The same problems exist with people pretending only AAA games exist and then complaining that there aren't any games for them to play, when the problem is just that they haven't bothered to look.

On 4/5/2022 at 4:16 PM, steel6burgh said:

Same thing is going to happen to gaming.  the quality of the games will be effected when they all realize people will settle for crap if you give it to them at a price point they can afford and they don't have to go outside their home and interact with people god forbid.  It's already happening if you think about it.  

This is a confusing sentiment from you, seeing as how your list is filled with indie games and other small releases. Surely you don't think CoD and annual sports games are the pinnacle of gaming? There's already much bigger issues affecting games (always online / live service games that don't exist after a few years, predatory microtransactions, etc) than subscription services.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Eh, speak for yourself. I've played a fuckton of games off of PS Now. But even if you do play only ten games off the service, depending on the game those ten games can easily justify years of PS Now on their own. For instance, since Shadow Warrior 3 launched on PS Now, I'm able to play a game that would otherwise cost me 50$. Even if you account for the fact that I'd probably wait for a 25$ or below sale, that's still a few months of PS Now covered with a single game.

I mean, yeah, the average consumer is probably only going to download a game or two a month from PS Now and never really get their money's worth, but is it really fair to criticize a service based on people being lazy? The same problems exist with people pretending only AAA games exist and then complaining that there aren't any games for them to play, when the problem is just that they haven't bothered to look.

This is a confusing sentiment from you, seeing as how your list is filled with indie games and other small releases. Surely you don't think CoD and annual sports games are the pinnacle of gaming? There's already much bigger issues affecting games (always online / live service games that don't exist after a few years, predatory microtransactions, etc) than subscription services.

shouldn't be confusing Never did i say small games and indie games were of poor quality did I?  I was merely suggesting games will end up like Netflix exclusives over time they will be ok but lacking the delivery of games prior to streaming services.  Same thing with movies, even the indie movies were of better quality before netflix game along.  This is just my opinion a lot of people seem to love all the netflix exclusives.  I just find most of them poorly written and lacking the same entertainment value the movie industry had 80's though early 00's.  a lot of it seems to be the movies industry can't tell good story anymore as well.  But never did i say indie games today are lacking quality, some of the best game i played were indies.  I don't think they will stay good if the gaming industry goes to a cheap streaming service though.  If we are going to stream everything for $15.00 a month and that is truly the way of the future, common sense would tell you quality will eventually be lessened.

Edited by steel6burgh

• 2 weeks later...

We now know when the service is going to launch.

As detailed on PlayStation.Blog, Asia markets (excluding Japan) will be the first to get the new service as it is currently targeting May 23, 2022. Japan will be next on June 1, followed by the Americas on June 13, and then finally Europe on June 22.

Cloud streaming will also be available in Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Republic of Cyprus, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia.

With just a month to go till the service launches, it shouldn't be long now till Sony announces all the games that will be available through the Extra and Premium tiers.

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs

Update: We’re making fantastic progress with our launch efforts and I wanted to update you on the
latest. We’re rolling out our new offering for PlayStation Plus a little earlier in select markets in Asia,
followed by Japan. Here is a look at our updated regional rollout schedule.

• Asia markets (excluding Japan) – targeting May 23, 2022
  • Japan – targeting June 1, 2022
  • Americas – targeting June 13, 2022
  • Europe – targeting June 22, 2022

Additionally, we’re also expanding our cloud streaming access to the following locations for a total
of 30 markets with cloud streaming access**. The following markets will also offer the Premium tier
from PlayStation Plus at launch: Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Malta, Poland,
Republic of Cyprus, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/03/29/all-new-playstation-plus-launches-in-june-with-700-games-and-more-value-than-ever/

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ziggypossum said:

Update: We’re making fantastic progress with our launch efforts and I wanted to update you on the
latest. We’re rolling out our new offering for PlayStation Plus a little earlier in select markets in Asia,
followed by Japan. Here is a look at our updated regional rollout schedule.

• Asia markets (excluding Japan) – targeting May 23, 2022
  • Japan – targeting June 1, 2022
  • Americas – targeting June 13, 2022
  • Europe – targeting June 22, 2022

Additionally, we’re also expanding our cloud streaming access to the following locations for a total
of 30 markets with cloud streaming access**. The following markets will also offer the Premium tier
from PlayStation Plus at launch: Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Malta, Poland,
Republic of Cyprus, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/03/29/all-new-playstation-plus-launches-in-june-with-700-games-and-more-value-than-ever/

Does this mean that we can play ps3 games as well from the ps now library? Ps now isn't available here

20 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

Does this mean that we can play ps3 games as well from the ps now library? Ps now isn't available here

You will have access to the entire PS3 library once Premium releases. Will the PS3 games be the same as the Now library? We don't know, but it's fair to assume it will

Edited by maiathewinners