Mafia 4 Officially Announced by 2K Games

ziggypossum

As long as it’s better than Mafia 3 I’ll be happy. Mafia 3 was so god damn boring platinum wise. The story was really good but the gameplay was kinda bad. Having to do 2 playthroughs also sucked. It got repetitive really fast flipping or killing all those racket bosses was awfully tedious. 

Guess it’s good news they are using UE5 instead of whatever was used in Mafia 3. I remember everyone was shitting on the skyboxes in that game ?

• Like 1

Any game where you have to drive at less than 80mph, rarely use grenades and try not to have too many explosions on screen because it might crash and void a trophy, can absolutely jog on. This will be exactly the same. 

2 hours ago, Quink666 said:

As long as it’s better than Mafia 3 I’ll be happy. Mafia 3 was so god damn boring platinum wise. The story was really good but the gameplay was kinda bad. Having to do 2 playthroughs also sucked. It got repetitive really fast flipping or killing all those racket bosses was awfully tedious. 

Guess it’s good news they are using UE5 instead of whatever was used in Mafia 3. I remember everyone was shitting on the skyboxes in that game 1f600.png

Only 2 playthroughs? Try 11 and still not finished.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mafia 4 Is Set in Sicily, Following the Story of Don Salieri, As per Leak

According to a recent podcast by XboxEra, featuring Shpeshal Nick, a well-known insider who is mostly known for their Microsoft-related leaks, Mafia 4 is supposed to be a prequel to the original version of the franchise.

Based on the info provided by Nick, the game is supposed to cover the life of Don Salieri in Sicily and his rise to power in the late 19s and early 20s centuries.

It remains unknown whether Don Salieri himself would be the protagonist or not, but it already sounds interesting as we haven’t had any big-budget game depicting Sicily and the born of organized crime from its homeland.

https://www.dualshockers.com/mafia-4-is-set-in-sicily-following-the-story-of-don-salliery-as-per-leak/

Edited by ziggypossum
EDIT
  • Like 1

I love all the Mafia games, the only negative these games had for me was on the technical side, but with the remake of the first Mafia it looks like they fixed all their technical issues so it's only positives going forward now as far as I can see, and I liked Salieri in 1 so if it's more of him, hey, sonds great to me, day one buy

Edited by The Investigator
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Investigator said:

I love all the Mafia games, the only negative these games had for me was on the technical side, but with the remake of the first Mafia it looks like they fixed all their technical issues so it's only positives going forward now as far as I can see, and I liked Salieri in 1 so if it's more of him, hey, sonds great to me, day one buy

I just hope that these mistakes don't repeat since they are changing their engine now. They switched to UE5, they don't use the illusion engine anymore.

2 hours ago, westersburg said:

I just hope that these mistakes don't repeat since they are changing their engine now. They switched to UE5, they don't use the illusion engine anymore.

switching to Unreal Engine 5 is the best decision a developer can make, so that sounds better and better, the devs are clearly talented, their old ps2/ps3 era engines were holding them back, with UE5, anything is possible now

On 20.5.2022 at 11:14 AM, The Investigator said:

switching to Unreal Engine 5 is the best decision a developer can make, so that sounds better and better, the devs are clearly talented, their old ps2/ps3 era engines were holding them back, with UE5, anything is possible now

i honestly think UE5 has still to prove how good it can be in actual games. It has a lot of hype but the actual impressive tools cause horrible performance issues so far. Glad that there are still developers for example like guerilla and insomniac that stick to their own house engine. UE has some common issues that need to be fixed in the future.

44 minutes ago, westersburg said:

i honestly think UE5 has still to prove how good it can be in actual games. It has a lot of hype but the actual impressive tools cause horrible performance issues so far. Glad that there are still developers for example like guerilla and insomniac that stick to their own house engine. UE has some common issues that need to be fixed in the future.

just because a dev uses Unreal Engine 5, that doesn't mean they're at its mercy and will have to deal with all its flaws, they can swap in and out any feature they want and customize it any way they want, for example Days Gone, Unreal Engine 4 didn't even support 2 wheel vehicles when they were making that game, so they used tricks to make it work, because they are capable devs

the problem with the Mafia engine was that it was always behind the curve, but there is not a closer to top of the line game engine right now than Unreal 5

Fortnite already runs on UE5

Crystal Dynamics - Tomb Raider

CDProjekt Red - Witcher

Square Enix - Kingdom Hearts 4

The Coalition - next Gears game

Hangar 13- Mafia 4

we have top studios using Unreal 5 for their next games, Hangar13/Mafia 4 are not the only ones, Unreal 5 is the future, more and more studios will switch to it, it's the best out there

After the way they treated Mafia 3 - and all the bullshit I had to go through just to play and platinum it - I won't be buying this game ever.  If it drops on PS+, I'll only play it if all trophies work 100% without issue and the game is stable.  So I'll probably never play it.

Edited by Matto_lsi

On 21.5.2022 at 8:11 PM, The Investigator said:

just because a dev uses Unreal Engine 5, that doesn't mean they're at its mercy and will have to deal with all its flaws, they can swap in and out any feature they want and customize it any way they want, for example Days Gone, Unreal Engine 4 didn't even support 2 wheel vehicles when they were making that game, so they used tricks to make it work, because they are capable devs

the problem with the Mafia engine was that it was always behind the curve, but there is not a closer to top of the line game engine right now than Unreal 5

Fortnite already runs on UE5

Crystal Dynamics - Tomb Raider

CDProjekt Red - Witcher

Square Enix - Kingdom Hearts 4

The Coalition - next Gears game

Hangar 13- Mafia 4

we have top studios using Unreal 5 for their next games, Hangar13/Mafia 4 are not the only ones, Unreal 5 is the future, more and more studios will switch to it, it's the best out there

Guess we will see. Games so far haven't proven the superiority yet. The main reason people are switching to UE5 is due to ressources. Game developing has become more and more expensive and most studios just don't have the ressources any more to develop their own engine as it used to be in the past. As long as the games turn out good and we still get a big variety of games and gamedesign I don't care which engine is used for it.

Also Mafia DE used some impressive tech, including software raytracing. You might just want to check out the digital foundry video of that.

Edited by westersburg

1 hour ago, westersburg said:

Guess we will see. Games so far haven't proven the superiority yet. The main reason people are switching to UE5 is due to ressources. Game developing has become more and more expensive and most studios just don't have the ressources any more to develop their own engine as it used to be in the past. As long as the games turn out good and we still get a big variety of games and gamedesign I don't care which engine is used for it.

Also Mafia DE used some impressive tech, including software raytracing. You might just want to check out the digital foundry video of that.

I know the tech used in Mafia Remake, I said in my first reply that the only time they fixed their biggest problem, wich was their engine, was with Mafia DE, the reflections in Mafia DE are fine, but they are nothing compared to the reflections in the Matrix Unreal 5 demo, no engine comes close to Unreal 5 right now, we might get Decima 2 or something that can compete with Unreal 5 in the future, but right now UE5 is king

10 minutes ago, The Investigator said:

I know the tech used in Mafia Remake, I said in my first reply that the only time they fixed their biggest problem, wich was their engine, was with Mafia DE, the reflections in Mafia DE are fine, but they are nothing compared to the reflections in the Matrix Unreal 5 demo, no engine comes close to Unreal 5 right now, we might get Decima 2 or something that can compete with Unreal 5 in the future, but right now UE5 is king

Ok prasing Matrix right now is kinda foolish sorry. It just looks amazing and these are without a doubt the most impressive visuals we have ever seen so far. 

BUT it was just a tech demo not a whole game and MORE IMPORTANT: Performance was kinda ass not gonna lie. I would probably bet anything i have, that we won't see a game running fine on these visuals on a ps5. We are probably still 5+ years away from games looking like that. You actually have to pick current UE5 titles to make a proper comparison to other engines, for example the upcoming plague tale requiem or on xbox hellblade 2. These are without tools like lumen or nanite that make the UE5 that impressive, but these games will be probably capable of stable 60 fps performances on the other hand.

Edited by westersburg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, westersburg said:

Ok prasing Matrix right now is kinda foolish sorry. It just looks amazing and these are without a doubt the most impressive visuals we have ever seen so far. 

BUT it was just a tech demo not a whole game and MORE IMPORTANT: Performance was kinda ass not gonna lie. I would probably bet anything i have, that we won't see a game running fine on these visuals on a ps5. We are probably still 5+ years away from games looking like that. You actually have to pick current UE5 titles to make a proper comparison to other engines, for example the upcoming plague tale requiem or on xbox hellblade 2. These are without tools like lumen or nanite that make the UE5 that impressive, but these games will be probably capable of stable 60 fps performances on the other hand.

people said the same thing about the UE4 demo at the start of the PS4 gen, lots of games have surpassed it, it will happen the same this time

I have played the Matrix demo with my two hands and saw it with my two eyes, I know what I've seen, a huge city with unmatched levels of details from every angle, incredible draw distance and asset quality, perfect lighting and reflections

that wasn't a prerendered video at a conference running on a supercomputer, it was software running in real time in my home on my PS5 console on my TV

and it ran perfectly on my PS5

11 hours ago, The Investigator said:

people said the same thing about the UE4 demo at the start of the PS4 gen, lots of games have surpassed it, it will happen the same this time

I have played the Matrix demo with my two hands and saw it with my two eyes, I know what I've seen, a huge city with unmatched levels of details from every angle, incredible draw distance and asset quality, perfect lighting and reflections

that wasn't a prerendered video at a conference running on a supercomputer, it was software running in real time in my home on my PS5 console on my TV

and it ran perfectly on my PS5

You are probably one of these people who play in 30 fps modes on possible 60 fps games i guess then. 20-30 fps is incredibly far from perfect. That's ps3 performance which wasn't even good back in 2010. Every single dropped frame in a demo or game with 30 fps target is basically unacceptable by todays standards.

Even with better hardware the demo couldn't reach consistent 60 fps at 1440p resolution (for example a RTX 3090 + i9 12900k build). That ran between 50 and 60 fps and is a 3000+ euro setup meaning far superior than the hardware built in a ps5.

Final conclusion: UE5 has massive potential for the future but at the moment it's just a good engine and not anything other top tier engines can't achieve.

Edited by westersburg

41 minutes ago, westersburg said:

You are probably one of these people who play in 30 fps modes on possible 60 fps games i guess then. 20-30 fps is incredibly far from perfect. That's ps3 performance which wasn't even good back in 2010. Every single dropped frame in a demo or game with 30 fps target is basically unacceptable by todays standards.

Even with better hardware the demo couldn't reach consistent 60 fps at 1440p resolution (for example a RTX 3090 + i9 12900k build). That ran between 50 and 60 fps and is a 3000+ euro setup meaning far superior than the hardware built in a ps5.

Final conclusion: UE5 has massive potential for the future but at the moment it's just a good engine and not anything other top tier engines can't achieve.

just like the very vast majority of people and developers, I don't vastly downgrade my visual experience for a few milliseconds, there's a reason the default mode for games is the one it is and not the other ones

The Matrix demo runs 99% at locked fps on PS5, I don't care how it runs on other platforms, all it matters is that it runs perfect on mine

your opinion about today's standards on performance is not reflective of the vast majority's as proven by Elden Ring's critical and financial monumental success with both the longtime hardcore fans and the casual gamers despite having inconsistent performance no matter what platform you play it on

I bought my next gen console to play next gen games, made on next gen engines, for the next gen hardware, so I can experience next gen visuals, nothing less, nothing more

8 hours ago, The Investigator said:

your opinion about today's standards on performance is not reflective of the vast majority's as proven by Elden Ring's critical and financial monumental success with both the longtime hardcore fans and the casual gamers despite having inconsistent performance no matter what platform you play it on

Hate to break it to you, but "the vast majority" has a long and gloried history of having absolute dogshit taste. See: Candy Crush and shitty annual sports titles raking in the billions. Of course people who significantly invest into gaming have stronger opinions than the casual masses.

You also completely ignore that it's possible to both like a game overall while also not liking the fact that it barely runs on the hardware you play it on. No fucking shit, framerate dips aren't going to make people hate a game if it's overall a good one, but that does not equate to "inconsistent performance is good, actually!" or whatever it is you're trying to say with this.

5 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Hate to break it to you, but "the vast majority" has a long and gloried history of having absolute dogshit taste. See: Candy Crush and shitty annual sports titles raking in the billions. Of course people who significantly invest into gaming have stronger opinions than the casual masses.

What's wrong with Candy Crush?

Great little game I thought :dunno:

3 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

You also completely ignore that it's possible to both like a game overall while also not liking the fact that it barely runs on the hardware you play it on. No fucking shit, framerate dips aren't going to make people hate a game if it's overall a good one, but that does not equate to "inconsistent performance is good, actually!" or whatever it is you're trying to say with this.

I never said people "love" Elden Ring having performance issues, my point was in response to his point about such things being "unacceptable", to which I pointed out how it is proven that it is very acceptable, I'm no English teacher, but I'm pretty sure that is clear English right there, I'm not sure how that got lost on you

as for your opinion on the majority's opinion, again, you're taking it out of context and adding irrelevant arguments, the point of me mentioning the majority there was that he responded to me implying that I am part of some sort of fringe group of rare people, all I did was to point out that in fact, I am part of the majority, whatever you think of the majority is irrelevant to the conversation

you're being emotional and putting words into my mouth, if you want to argue with what you want me to say, do it in front of a mirror, if you want to debate with what I actually say, go ahead

• 3 months later...

6307f6d0bb11f20th-newspaper-full.jpg

https://mafiagame.com/news/mafia-20th-anniversary-developer-interview/

Mafia 4 Announced by 2K Games

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/mafia-4-game-2k-announcement/

2K Games and developer Hangar 13 have announced that a fourth mainline installment in the Mafia series is now in active development. 

Edited by ziggypossum
EDIT
  • Like 2