Thoughts on Google+

parker-94

Google has begun to roll-out invitations to test their upcoming social network, "The Google+ Project".

Has anyone got their hands on an invite? I've been invited, but can't actually sign-up yet since they've had so many registrations that they're now over capacity.

I'm really interested in it, personally. Facebook really doesn't hold my interest any more, the only reason I haven't deactivated my account is because it's handy to get a notification on my phone (through the Facebook app) when I get sent a message.

The "Hangout" feature is interesting, I can't wait to give that a try. I like how Google are really pushing things this time, their previous attempt with Google Buzz was laughable at best, but with this they're really onto something - a number of great features, and integration across all Google products (apparently the G+ notification bar is displayed across Google - whether you're searching, checking email or looking at maps).

What are your thoughts on the project (whether you have an account or not)? http://www.google.com/+

I have it and have tossed out a few invites. I'm out of them for now though, (still unclear how they work.)

I like it a lot, the circles thing is nice, but my favorite feature is Sparks. I am hearing so much new dubstep because of it :)

I'm a big fan of social media marketing, and Google+ will have business profiles in the future, so I want to stay on top of it for when they do so I can become familiar with how they work. Will it replace Facebook? Probably. But not for a bit.

Ah really? Sparks was actually the thing I was least interested in - I thought "Hangout" and "Huddle" would be the biggest "pull" factors, but given your example, I can see how "Sparks" would be pretty awesome..

I think Google+ will appeal more to the Twitter crowd, rather than the Facebook crowd though - the userbases seem to differ slightly, and Google+ seems more tailored towards the "Twitter" bunch.

• 5 weeks later...

Eh. Haven't really been paying much attention to the hype surrounding Google's project. Think I'll probably just stick with Facebook until Google+ gets a lot bigger.

Yeah, I'll probably do the same. I haven't received an invite yet, but even if I got on Google+, none of my friends would have it so it would be pointless for me to have it. :P Social networking sites are only cool if your friends have it, otherwise it's worthless for you to be on it. I'll stick to facebook until this becomes a lot bigger with friends.

im a steer clear of google + becuz this sense of information sharing is getting really outta hand

if you only knew how much they make off of whats your favorite book, where you went to school, etc

i know the conspiracy nuts were always talking about how big brother watches over us

but were in the age were we watch over each other so either way its happening

So what do you use?

Honestly, I quit Facebook nearly 3 years ago when I realised how lax the security was, In my opinion despite the "improvements" its as bad as it was then, if not worse. I've proven this to several friends over the years who have since quit as well. Since my departure form facebook, its become more about being a popularity contest than anything else.

I completely despise people who use social media tools to tell us they had a coffee with their breakfast, or to air dirty laundry in public. within hours of being on Google +, I found it to be far too intrusive by default, and already most people were using it to tell us how they like their eggs.

I wont deny that many people will love it and that it will become the new facebook, it just isnt for me, along with most popular social media tools.

Honestly, I quit Facebook nearly 3 years ago when I realised how lax the security was, In my opinion despite the "improvements" its as bad as it was then, if not worse. I've proven this to several friends over the years who have since quit as well. Since my departure form facebook, its become more about being a popularity contest than anything else.

I completely despise people who use social media tools to tell us they had a coffee with their breakfast, or to air dirty laundry in public. within hours of being on Google +, I found it to be far too intrusive by default, and already most people were using it to tell us how they like their eggs.

I wont deny that many people will love it and that it will become the new facebook, it just isnt for me, along with most popular social media tools.

In my opinion, if you're one of those people who don't like all the pointless things about social networking, then I don't see why you can't just use it solely for talking to your friends. My close friends all made Google + accounts for the intent of only using it to talk to each other. Just put in our e-mail and a picture and left it at that. If people happen to see that information, then we won't really care.

In my opinion, if you're one of those people who don't like all the pointless things about social networking, then I don't see why you can't just use it solely for talking to your friends. My close friends all made Google + accounts for the intent of only using it to talk to each other. Just put in our e-mail and a picture and left it at that. If people happen to see that information, then we won't really care.

Well see, I suppose that's my other problem with it. Far too many people rely on it as a way to stay in contact with their friends, and forget that some people dont have facebook/twitter/google+ open all day. (I'm here instead.) What ever happened to meeting people down the boozer or just having a chat on the phone, without arranging it on facebook first?

I dont know about you or others, but how often are you in a pub, and you overhear "So and so said on facebook..." for me its a lot. maybe it's a generation thing, in the sameway that my grandparents had issues with VCR's, maybe i'm the same with social media.

Well see, I suppose that's my other problem with it. Far too many people rely on it as a way to stay in contact with their friends, and forget that some people dont have facebook/twitter/google+ open all day. (I'm here instead.) What ever happened to meeting people down the boozer or just having a chat on the phone, without arranging it on facebook first?

I dont know about you or others, but how often are you in a pub, and you overhear "So and so said on facebook..." for me its a lot. maybe it's a generation thing, in the sameway that my grandparents had issues with VCR's, maybe i'm the same with social media.

I see what you're saying, but you can make use of it differently than other people. My first means of making plans will always be over the phone through a text or call, but if I happen to be on Facebook while a friend of mine is on, it would be more convenient to IM them there. It's a free service, as opposed to cell phone plans that may have minute/texting restrictions. Eh, to each their own.

I see what you're saying, but you can make use of it differently than other people. My first means of making plans will always be over the phone through a text or call, but if I happen to be on Facebook while a friend of mine is on, it would be more convenient to IM them there. It's a free service, as opposed to cell phone plans that may have minute/texting restrictions. Eh, to each their own.

Well then IMO, you are actually using it in the 'right' way, unlike many many others.

• 4 months later...

No desire to try it myself.

Although I do have a FB account, other than a few little things I like to check, I am not into the whole Social Networking thing. I mean seriously, what kind of fuck-nut has 100, 200, 300+ "friends"?

Seems to me the more popular "Social Networking" is becoming, the less social people are becoming. Forget using the telephone or....Holy God, actually visiting a friend or two. Now it is all about FB messages, twitter and other non-social forms of communication.

I have several real-life friends who are on my FB, and rarely do we use FB to communicate. We actually get together for a lunch, dinner, a few drinks or just visit. THAT is what a friend is....NOT some anonymous boob you meet on FB.

i have a facebook, and its getting really bad. i got an invitation to google +, but the thing thats keeping me from making an account and abandoning my friends, is that most of my friends probably wont move to google + until a much later time :(

but thanks for the awful facebook updates, people will eventually move to google +. its like if facebook said "HEY, NOW THAT GOOGLE + IS COMING OUT LETS FUCK EVERYTHING UP AND MAKE PEOPLE WANT TO MOVE OVER SO WE LOSE MONEY AND MEMBERS"

Like others I won't be getting this. I do see how some people use and enjoy the social networking sites but I suppose i'm getting old by saying that people I've lost touch with is for a reason, people I know in the real world I see and interact with personally and although I post here and have a friends list on PSN i'm not really one for virtual friends, that said my friends list is made up of people I met here (and other trophy sites) and I enjoy the odd MP with them. Contradicting myself see, another sign of age..

• 4 months later...

I don't really care about Facebook or Google +. I only got Facebook because everyone I knew was bugging me to get one, then when I did, noone wanted to talk to me, they'd make maybe one post when I first signed up, then nothing. Some friends :shakefist: I don't really use it for talking to people anymore, since noone really talks to me on it. I have about 36-37 friends, and I don't really care about having more...I can't understand how the hell some people have hundreds and thousands of friends, it's insane.

I got invited for the beta of Google +, but just ditched that after I saw it was practically the same as Facebook, which didn't have much use in the first place. I still prefer calling/texting to contact people.