Shadow of the Colossus : The Movie

lporiginalg

So when the Uncharted movie thread came up recently I thought to myself, meh. Then I asked myself what game franchises I'd like to see on the big screen and the first one that actually came to mind was Shadow of the Colossus. And since I'm currently playing that and watching youtube videos I just stumbled on this:

http://screenrant.com/josh-trank-talks-shadow-colossus-movie/

Sweet.

• Like 1

None, since literally EVERY movie made from a videogame has been terrible.

The Tomb Raider movies were watchable and I think it'd be pretty easy to make a great movie from a game if the directors and producers actually cared about the content instead of making a quick buck from fans. 

Parker

• Like 1

The Tomb Raider movies were watchable and I think it'd be pretty easy to make a great movie from a game if the directors and producers actually cared about the content instead of making a quick buck from fans. 

Parker

Exactly, and also depends how much content they take from the games or if they just use a certain part to create a story around it.

Parker

Dude.

C'mon.

I know you know what a good movie is. I mean - your avatar used to be Lord Clint of the Eastwood, so I mean no disrespect - but lets call a spade a spade here

The Tomb Raider films were garbage. They only seem watchable in comparison to the other even more garbage videogame movies because there was more money poured into them so they have the veneer or real movies - but a highly polished turd is still a turd.

• Like 2

So when the Uncharted movie thread came up recently I thought to myself, meh. Then I asked myself what game franchises I'd like to see on the big screen and the first one that actually came to mind was Shadow of the Colossus. And since I'm currently playing that and watching youtube videos I just stumbled on this:

http://screenrant.com/josh-trank-talks-shadow-colossus-movie/

Sweet.

Problem with a Shadow of the Colossus is that it basically boils down to a hero and his horse on a journey. We already had a movie like that, it was called The Neverending Story, to a certain point. Also, you got the guy journeying to kill 16 beasts. While that is awesome as a game concept, it's boring as a movie script. Nobody wants to sit through a movie that runs through the same basic story concept of begin journey, struggle, kill monster, 16 times with slight variations each time. So maybe you boil it down to the basic story elements you see in the cutscenes and have him kill one monster and then get corrupted? Makes for a short movie unless you start throwing in some things to punch up the story and fill it out. Now you got gamers mad because you added stuff that wasn't in the game. So you can't win either way. This is way movies based on games don't work. The whole concept of "levels" in games is basically telling the same story X number of times with variations and with an overarching story arch to tie it together. It makes for entertaining gameplay, but repetitive storytelling. Gamers will like it because we're used to story complementing gameplay, but gamers aren't the only ones that watch movies. This is why I'm not a big fan of game movies.

• Like 1

As a major fan of SotC, I would be both upset and happy.  I really hope they don't ruin that game by making a movie of it.  Some things should just be left alone or end on a good note.  

This,

Part of me really wants to see a movie adaptation of SotC, but the other part just knows they'd screw it up somehow. =/

Well at least it sounds like Trank really loves the source material, so I would think/hope he plans to stay true to it and make a film which is a visually stunning spectacle and not driven by dialogue or beat you over the head with the plot.

IMHO video game movies tend to suck (not All of them tho, Mario Bros and Mortal Kombat were both decent) because Hollywood looks for money making opportunities rather than story telling ones. Which is why we get movies like Uncharted, which ain't gonna be no Indiana Jones. But when the filmaker cares about the source material, good things can happen.

it was called The Neverending Story,

Heh it's funny you say that because I've seen the similarities between Wander and Atreyu but honestly apart from looking similar and having horses the similarities aren't really glaring. Honestly did anyone playing SotC come away thinking, wow what a rip off of Neverending Story?

Maybe not Neverending Story exactly now that I think about it, since Artax dies pretty early on, but you know what I mean. It's a story that's been told elsewhere before, Neverending Story just came immediately to mind because they both have a strong connection to their horse and the story at each's heart is to save a girl from doom. :P

I don't think SotC would make a good movie, the whole games was a solitary experience, no backstory, and a bunch of giant awesome beings you had to stab.

It's just you, your horse, and a creepy voice that sends you to kill things. The game itself it's kinde like a movie, no need to push it harder.

SotC will make a terrible movie.

It's just one man and his horse. The only Dialog would be Dormin and the guys on horses at the very end.

Not only does that make for a shitty film but it will just be exactly the same as the game, only non-interactive.

Adding more dialog will ruin the atmosphere of the game and cheapen the experience imo. They should just leave it alone and butcher some other franchise.

I think one of the reasons the ICO collection is considered so innovative and artistic is that it did such a great job of displaying how narrative doesn't have to be driven by dialogue.

I can think of some examples of critically acclaimed films that have already gone this way, Kubricks 2001, Quest for Fire, All Is Lost, heck even Wall-e - just to name a few.

The assumption that the plot needs to be explained to the audience with dialogue is exactly what is being challenged by these works.

Personally I really love the ICO collection for this very reason. That with almost no dialogue not only do I understand what is going on, while being free to fill in whatever blanks I personally choose to fill in, but that a strong emotional bond can be created with the characters without needing them to explain their motives or background to me. The stories are beautiful in their ageless simplicity, while a game like MGS4 that has hours and hours and hours of dialogue can just leave the audience being like "wait...wat?"

• 3 months later...

Although I hate pretty much every movie made from video games, because they suck. Wouldn't  mind seeing a Borderlands movie, as long as it was good and didn't **** allover the series... like the Resident Evil movies.. christ almighty they were dreadful

Although I hate pretty much every movie made from video games, because they suck. Wouldn't  mind seeing a Borderlands movie, as long as it was good and didn't **** allover the series... like the Resident Evil movies.. christ almighty they were dreadful

You should never ever watch a video game based movie as a video game based movie. These two should always be kept separately because 5 epic boss battles turn into one and thousands of enemies in every single level turn into one or two battle scenes. On the other hand they usually add needless drama or even characters (Resident Evil) or something else to boost the story telling on screen. It does not work. Period.

You should never ever watch a video game based movie as a video game based movie. These two should always be kept separately because 5 epic boss battles turn into one and thousands of enemies in every single level turn into one or two battle scenes. On the other hand they usually add needless drama or even characters (Resident Evil) or something else to boost the story telling on screen. It does not work. Period.

I understand that but they're bad. The RE films are awful and i've never played the games. Tomb Raider films were awful too.