The all new PlayStation Stars loyalty program (Stars are not NFTs)

The_Kopite

17 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

I've been stuck with Returnal not registering, been over 24 hours now and I've booted it up multiple times.

Does anyone have experience with the leveling up thing?

I don't think I saw anyone mention if you can buy four games and then earn trophies or farm up trophies and then buy the four games or if you're only allowed to do the conditions while you're at the specific level.

Yes you can. I got 3 games when I was level 2 and the progress shows 3/2 and when I reached level 3 it only requires 1 more game purchase and the trophies to level up

• Like 2

Hi everyone !

I’m struggling to understand this loyalty program tbh. Does winning trophies helps you getting points to buy games ? I got a PS5 a few days ago, and I’m holding on playing my new games in order to get loyalty points by winning Platinums and gold trophies. Is it working this way or am I completely wrong ? 
I’m based in Europe (so service won’t be available for me before 13th October) and don’t really care about digital collectibles. All I want is winning points to be able to buy Fifa 23 on a cheap lol. 
Thank you in advance for your answers, and have a great week-end !

Edit : I might add that I’m never buying digital games at full price, always on sale. Only games I’m buying day one at full price are Playstation first party titles, always physical copies, so that I can loan them to my friends.

Edited by duncanmcleod
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, duncanmcleod said:

Hi everyone !

I’m struggling to understand this loyalty program tbh. Does winning trophies helps you getting points to buy games ? I got a PS5 a few days ago, and I’m holding on playing my new games in order to get loyalty points by winning Platinums and gold trophies. Is it working this way or am I completely wrong ? 
I’m based in Europe (so service won’t be available for me before 13th October) and don’t really care about digital collectibles. All I want is winning points to be able to buy Fifa 23 on a cheap lol. 

Edit : I might add that I’m never buying digital games at full price, always on sale. Only games I’m buying day one at full price are Playstation first party titles, always physical copies, so that I can loan them to my friends.

Everything is insanely expensive, you're not getting crap from any normal means.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, duncanmcleod said:

Hi everyone !

You get points for buying games, not earning trophies. Even buying dirt cheap games count for points and leveling up. So if you have interest in indie games (since most don't have physical copies) those will count towards points and leveling up as well.

And buying games on sales counts. I feel like the "full game purchase" thing can be misleading, as you need to buy games at full price. Nope, any game counts, even those on sale.

Edited by hailurez
  • Like 2

MK11 didn't register for me over a day later. Having tried the other games yet. Played it via PSN+ streaming, hope I don't have to actually install the thing for it to count. Some people in discord were saying they didn't unlock until they synch'd the trophy list with the required games.

I wish you could earn at least 50 cents, even 25 would be fine, per platinum...

Challenges that require to obtain several platinums for a collectable would be nice too. Hope that they add at least this in the future

Edited by LorenzoLame
missing word

On 10/8/2022 at 11:21 AM, hailurez said:

Yeah, I mean, if they gave you 1 point per trophy earned I think that would of been better than solely relying on purchases for points. ?

I would agree, but only if they changed the requirements to be for Rare trophies or below (same as the current campaign level ups). Because otherwise Sony knows they would lose too much money from all the 2 minute plats out there.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2022 at 8:21 PM, hailurez said:

Yeah, I mean, if they gave you 1 point per trophy earned I think that would of been better than solely relying on purchases for points. ?

Ain’t happening, even with Rare trophies (<50% under Sony’s schematics) there’s too much stuff to exploit the system, netting a loss, it’s best you see this as a loyalty program rewarding digital acquisitions, rather than the previous US only system that rewarded people for getting trophies,  this one rewards you for buying, and the rare trophies are simply put, a theme, and an anti-bot measure.

Sony is aware that there are people spending money just for obtaining platinums, that’s quite enough for them, there is no reason to further put the spotlight on the trophy system by spending resources.

3 hours ago, farradono said:

Ain’t happening, even with Rare trophies (<50% under Sony’s schematics) there’s too much stuff to exploit the system, netting a loss, it’s best you see this as a loyalty program rewarding digital acquisitions, rather than the previous US only system that rewarded people for getting trophies,  this one rewards you for buying, and the rare trophies are simply put, a theme, and an anti-bot measure.

Sony is aware that there are people spending money just for obtaining platinums, that’s quite enough for them, there is no reason to further put the spotlight on the trophy system by spending resources.

That's something that I've been thinking about. Can you really call it an exploit though? Like, if you buy a 2 dollar or 1 dollar game with and easy 15 min plat, and the reward is just 50 or 25 cents worth of credit, can you really say you exploited the system? That you earned something? You even need to spend more money if you want to stack them with versions of other regions. It's still a loss.

The only way I can think of actually exploiting the system would be autopoping plats with cloud saves. And if that's a problem, they could just remove autopoping as a thing, right?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LorenzoLame said:

That's something that I've been thinking about. Can you really call it an exploit though? Like, if you buy a 2 dollar or 1 dollar game with and easy 15 min plat, and the reward is just 50 or 25 cents worth of credit, can you really say you exploited the system? That you earned something? You even need to spend more money if you want to stack them with versions of other regions. It's still a loss.

The only way I can think of actually exploiting the system would be autopoping plats with cloud saves. And if that's a problem, they could just remove autopoping as a thing, right?

You’re not bound to a single account, in this case.

If you have bought hundreds of games on your account, you can use them on multiple accounts in order to rack up trophies, you could realistically  create an “account for X game(s)” and from there, rack up points on something like 10+ different accounts in order to get what you want. And it’s not like Sony can ban you for that, multiple accounts are used by family members/friends usually, and your word about said accounts not being you, could not be disproved.

Autopopping and Cloud saves are features that entice people to buy a ps5 or psplus respectively, so removing them would  be at a loss. It is also not enough, take for example, Minecraft, there’s “trophy worlds” in these games, majority of said trophies also being rare, by Sony’s standards, just for them, you could net 200+ trophies in a hour or so by having the ps3 and ps4 version, you can also check the platinum speedruns of several games, done by major speedrunning communities in order to rack up trophies fast, it would  quickly turn up in someone being able to  get enough points to “buy” whatever game they desire, with nothing reaching Sony’s pockets, hell, it’s highly probable that some people would come up with trophy popping services, where you insert the game you want to buy and a burner account, and someone else will do a programmed “trophy path” for a reduced percentage of the game’s value (25 pounds in order to get the 50 pounds, random example), it would create a microeconomy were  Sony had no say in it.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, farradono said:

You’re not bound to a single account, in this case.

If you have bought hundreds of games on your account, you can use them on multiple accounts in order to rack up trophies, you could realistically  create an “account for X game(s)” and from there, rack up points on something like 10+ different accounts in order to get what you want. And it’s not like Sony can ban you for that, multiple accounts are used by family members/friends usually, and your word about said accounts not being you, could not be disproved.

Autopopping and Cloud saves are features that entice people to buy a ps5 or psplus respectively, so removing them would  be at a loss. It is also not enough, take for example, Minecraft, there’s “trophy worlds” in these games, majority of said trophies also being rare, by Sony’s standards, just for them, you could net 200+ trophies in a hour or so by having the ps3 and ps4 version, you can also check the platinum speedruns of several games, done by major speedrunning communities in order to rack up trophies fast, it would  quickly turn up in someone being able to  get enough points to “buy” whatever game they desire, with nothing reaching Sony’s pockets, hell, it’s highly probable that some people would come up with trophy popping services, where you insert the game you want to buy and a burner account, and someone else will do a programmed “trophy path” for a reduced percentage of the game’s value (25 pounds in order to get the 50 pounds, random example), it would create a microeconomy were  Sony had no say in it.

Oh. You're right, I haven't thought about that. What a shame really ? 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 2:12 PM, Big_Bobs_Beeper said:

Joined the Ps Stars thing and then played MK11 with a friend on Wednesday for like 3 hours. It is now Saturday and I still don't have the Warrior award thing unlocked. 

I think you have to play every game in that challenge to unlock the award. Just one way to get you to buy games you’ll never play, or join the higher PSN tiers. I’m not going to worry about challenges like that solely because I’m not going to boot up games, even if I already have them in my back log, and have my game completion rate go down. It’s already pretty low. Also, shitty money grab is shitty money grab. 

*EDIT* The 1994 challenge requires all games to be loaded. You only need to load one game for the fighter challenge. However, MK 11 did pop for me after two matches in VS against the computer. 

Edited by doGmaI_777
Challenge Update

On 10/10/2022 at 9:15 AM, doGmaI_777 said:

I think you have to play every game in that challenge to unlock the award. Just one way to get you to buy games you’ll never play, or join the higher PSN tiers. I’m not going to worry about challenges like that solely because I’m not going to boot up games, even if I already have them in my back log, and have my game completion rate go down. It’s already pretty low. Also, shitty money grab is shitty money grab. 

No. Just 1 game. I only played Tekken 7.

M8WClnW.png

• Like 1

I have two accounts, and Launched Fortnite on my secondary account, And I got a notification on my phone from PS App, from my main account that I earned the launch a PS4 Game quest on my main account. I don't know what happened, but it happened.

So I'm going to try launch MK on my secondary and see if register on both accounts