Alone In The Dark [March 20th, 2024]

ziggypossum

Get the original trilogy on GOG for a paltry 6 bucks to see early roots of the survival horror genre. They set the standard for games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill. Just stay away from the films, they are very bad.

The new title is expected to be revealed at the THQ Nordic showcase later today

Edited by NMErickson

Probably one of the most mistreated franchises in gaming history.

If it's true that Pieces Interactive is developing this - based on their experience and the types of game they've made in the past, i'm not sure how this is going to turn out. I'm cautiously optimistic. But they have no experience with the genre or gameplay it brings, so who knows how this will turn out.

The last time an attempt was made to reboot this franchise in this way - we got Alone in the Dark: Inferno back in 2008. And that developer (Eden Games) had a similar profile to Pieces.

I would love to see Alone in the Dark achieve glory as an IP. But I can't help but feel that this could just be another Alone in the Dark:Illumination which killed the franchise for a second time prior to THQ picking it up.

• Like 2

Gameplay sneak peek

Also, there will be a playable teaser at Gamescom 2022 called “Grace in the Dark”.

It features Grace from Alone in the Dark 2 as the protagonist and takes place before the main game.

Whether it releases outside of the event remains to be seen so stay tuned.

• Like 1

On 13/8/2022 at 11:28 AM, ziggypossum said:

Gameplay sneak peek

That's interesting, the kidnap of Grace Saunders is the focus of the plot of Alone in the dark 2. So is not only a remake of the first game, perhaps they combine the plot of the first three games?

Edited by ASMODAIOS344

• 2 weeks later...

I’m cautiously (as cautious as I get, anyway) excited for this one; I loved the original trilogy (though Jack in the Dark can eff right off) and greatly enjoyed New Nightmare. I’m also in that poor, mistreated minority who actually found some enjoyment in 5/2008/Inferno (mostly the Inferno version thanks to the tweaks made to it, but regardless of which version, I thought there were some interesting concepts and plot beats in play, even if they weren’t executed the best.) ?I also usually trust THQ Nordic to put out a good product, regardless of who the developer is… but, then again, the reviews of Saint’s Row (2022) aren’t lookin’ so hot, so…

I don’t know how I feel about Carnby’s design for this one, though. Looks like a dude trying to fit in at a Victorian/Steampunk cosplay convention with a severe budget and lack of imagination. It’s early yet, so perhaps they’ll tweak it some, give it a bit of personality.

Still, overall, I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt. Assuming nothing truly horrible about the game pops up, I’ll likely hit the preorder button as soon as PSN lets me.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

QK1yJ6z.jpg

Alone in the Dark launches October 25; free playable Prologue now available

Reboot stars famous actors Jodie Comer and David Harbour

The Alone in the Dark reboot will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, and PC via Steam and GOG on October 25 for $59.99 / £49.99 / €59.99, publisher THQ Nordic and developer Pieces Interactive announced. Digital pre-orders are available now.

Alone in the Dark: Prologue, a free playable prologue that sets up the atmosphere without any spoilers to the main story, is available now for all platforms (PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, Steam).

THQ Nordic also announced that Alone in the Dark protagonists Emily Harwood and Edward Carnby will be portrayed by famous actors Jodie Comer (Killing Eve, Free Guy) and David Harbour (Stranger Things, Black Widow), respectively. Each actor will lend their voice, appearance, and acting skills to their character. Players will experience a different take on the same story depending on which character they choose.

Alone in the Dark Prologue

Alone in the Dark Prologue is an atmospheric Playable Teaser for the upcoming re-imagination of Alone in the Dark – the game which gave birth to the survival horror genre.

One of Derceto’s residents, Jeremy Hartwood, has been acting strange lately. He asks Grace to do one simple thing – help him deliver a letter to his niece, Emily Hartwood. She seems to be the only one capable of understanding the otherworldly horrors plaguing Jeremy’s mind.
Grace agrees and embarks on a short yet memorable trip through a wing of Derceto Manor, invaded by a presence which appears to have emerged from the dark depths of the Bayou…

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4389-PPSA08240_00-AITDDEMOBUNDLE00

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP4389-PPSA08135_00-AITDDEMOBUNDLE00

https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/product/JP2880-PPSA08241_00-AITDDEMOBUNDLE00

Pre-order the Digital Deluxe Edition for access to bonus content, including the Derceto 1992 Costume Pack for both Edward and Emily, the Vintage Horror Filter Pack, and director’s commentary, when the game releases on October 25th.

Want to get a short glimpse of the horrors that await you in the full game? The Prologue to Alone in the Dark is now playable for free.

ptG1JpB.png