Sony Passes Another Milestone, 5 Million PS4 Sales

Parker

Sony originally wanted to sell 5 million PlayStation 4 systems by the end of March, well they've done it already and the system hasn't even launched in Japan yet.

Sony PlayStation 4 sales are currently sitting at over 5.3 million, ahead of the console's launch in Japan.

The company announced the figure this morning ahead of the Japanese launch due to take place on February 22. Seeing as Sony had previously announced it wanted to sell 5 million PS4 consoles by the end of the financial year on March 31, it's currently significantly ahead of schedule.

This number looks set to swell pretty rapidly as of next week too, as early indicators suggest that the PS4 will sell out as soon as it launches in Japan.

Previously, Sony announced that 2.1 million consoles had been sold globally as of early December, one million of which were sold in 24 hours. Following launch, PS4 became the fastest-selling console in UK history. The last update we had on sales figures was at the start of January, where the figure was sitting at 4.2 million.

The last update we received on Xbox One sales revealed 3 million units had been sold to consumers by the end of last year, though 3.9 million have been shipped to retailers.

Source: IGN

I don't care what console you're a fan of, the sales charge of the PS4 has been amazing and the system hasn't even released in its home country yet. I think this just proves that gamers want their system to be a gaming system first and foremost and the other crap needs to take a backseat to the games. 

Good job Sony, you deserve this.  B)

Parker

• Like 3

i don't really care much for the sales this console or that did, the ps4 is my next ge...err current gen i am going with after the ps3. i bought my ps3 around the times where haters used to say it have no games and got a watered down ports coming from the 360 etc and never regret anything at all, now i am very proud that i'm a ps3 owner and glad that i picked it over the 360, so the same thing gonna happen with the ps4 for me. 

Wow, they reached their milestone a month earlier than anticipated and it isn't even out in Japan yet...... sales will SOAR after that, they might even reach 7 million before March! 

The XBO is doing awesome too, this generation is aiming to be fantastic ^^

Can you imagine how they would be doing if they actually had some nice exclusives out for it?

Have a PS4, its still in the box, too busy with PS3 and Vita to care . . .

Probably about the same since the damn thing is still sold out everywhere!  :lol:

Parker

Not a bad result given the PS4 hasn't been widely available at retail unless pre-ordered and is yet to launch in its home territory.

On a related note, I saw my first PS4s on store shelves yesterday. If you're an Aussie and have missed out to date, it looks like a new shipment has hit our fair shores.