PS4 System update 10.00 deleted DLC for some games

Raidou Kuzunoha XIV

7 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

There has been numerous posts about 10.0 bugs on the ps4 subreddit. The most common ones I've seen is DLC disappearing, games needing to be reinstalled, bluetooth disconnected error, and safe mode boot loop

Yeah there seems to be a number of problems with it. Seen someone who was part of the beta mentioned these issues existed there as well, guess they didn't bother to fix them.

So far, it seems most people affected by DLC disappearing have external HDDs. May be worth trying disconnecting and reconnecting your external hard drive for anyone that has encountered this issue, it apparently fixed it for someone on reddit, but it didn't help me unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

I've just started checking my games and they were affected by this but I disconnected then reconnected my External Hard Drive and that seems to have fixed the problem.

I tried doing this again, but this time I unmounted it from the PS4 (from the settings menu), fully turned off the PS4, physically disconnected the external hard drive, turned the PS4 back on, then reconnected the hard drive. I mentioned in my OP how Dead Cells still wasn't showing it had DLC installed, and there didn't seem to be a way to redownload it (the PSN store just said it was already purchased). However, after doing this, it's now showing the installed add-ons when I click "options" and bring up "information" over the game. It still doesn't show any DLC when clicking down on the menu under the game tile, but I don't think it ever has for that game for some reason.

Anyway, it may be worth trying that if simply disconnecting and reconnecting the external HDD while the console is on doesn't work for anyone else.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

PS4 update 10.01 came out a few hours ago. Maybe it fixes the issue(?)

It did something alright, because my external Hard Drive had to rebuild itself after installing the update so I couldn't play anything for approx 10mins until it finished.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

PS4 update 10.01 came out a few hours ago. Maybe it fixes the issue(?)

I don't trust PS4 updates any more after the last one, so I decided to disconnect my external HDD before updating this time. After it updated and I plugged it back in, I checked a few games to make sure they still had DLC installed (they did). Didn't bother to check them all again 'cause that'd take forever, but I checked about 7-10 or so and they were all fine.

If someone else could confirm if it fixes it or not, that'd be great, but I'd still recommend people disconnect their external hard drives before updating, seeing as @HuntingFever has also had issues (could be unrelated to the update, but still may be best not to risk it).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

It did something alright, because my external Hard Drive had to rebuild itself after installing the update so I couldn't play anything for approx 10mins until it finished.

I don't use external HDD, but after installing a PS4 update, my PS4 does the rebuilding database thing too, and it only lasts a few seconds.

33 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

I don't use an external HDD, but after installing a PS4 update, my PS4 does the rebuilding database thing too, and it only lasts a few seconds.

This update did 2 rebuilds for me: The first is the normal brief one that happens on startup after every firmware update but the second was the one that normally only happens after an improper shutdown.

38 minutes ago, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

I don't trust PS4 updates any more after the last one, so I decided to disconnect my external HDD before updating this time. After it updated and I plugged it back in, I checked a few games to make sure they still had DLC installed (they did). Didn't bother to check them all again 'cause that'd take forever, but I checked about 7-10 or so and they were all fine.

If someone else could confirm if it fixes it or not, that'd be great, but I'd still recommend people disconnect their external hard drives before updating, seeing as @HuntingFever has also had issues (could be unrelated to the update, but still may be best not to risk it).

I wish I had disconnected my External Drives but in my haste I forgot :(.

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.
  • Like 2

On 9/8/2022 at 0:01 AM, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

TL;DR Version: DLC from your games on PS4 may have randomly "deleted" itself after the most recent update. Troubleshooting tips near the bottom of this wall

Original post: Posting this as more of a PSA than anything else.

As many of you likely know, the PS5 got a fairly major update today, and so did the PS4 - it received update 10.00, which mostly just changed some stuff with the internet browser and remote play, nothing particularly interesting.

However, I noticed a few people claiming since the update, DLC for some or all of their games was no longer showing as installed. Trying to start some games that had DLC would alert people that their save couldn't be loaded because DLC wasn't installed.

As someone who's never really had issues with system updates, I initially thought this was another case of a small minority of people being affected. But both me and my husband were also affected by this immediately after the update. I decided to go through my games just to check after hearing a few people had said issue - first 2 games seemed to still show the DLC being installed fine, even started up the game and the DLC proper for one of them just to make sure, and there were no issues.

Then I decided to check a game I'm currently playing (Shenmue 3) and... The DLC wasn't installed, despite being 100% sure it was installed previously. After going through the rest of my 300+ installed games, around 6 of them no longer had their DLC installed, despite having them installed previously. For my husband, about half of his games that had DLC no longer had them downloaded. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, some games I had DLC for which were still showing as installed for me, weren't for him and vice versa. There was DLC missing for both of us for games installed both on internal and external HDDs. I ended up having to redownload around 30 things, for him, over 100.

Strange thing is, I checked my storage space for my internal and external HDDs before and after the update, and they didn't change at all. You'd think if some DLC was deleted, I would have gained some extra space from that. Most of the DLC that was apparently no longer downloaded for me were just 1mb or so files for free/pre-order content mind you, but there was some larger DLC for one game, which, after "re-downloading", as it no longer showed as installed, my storage space still didn't change. Which makes me think this may be some kind of glitch, rather than DLC actually having being deleted. There seems to be some kind of discrepancy with the PS4 system not detecting the DLC is installed.

I've been checking to see if the DLC is indeed installed by clicking down on the D-pad over a game icon, going down to the PSN store section and clicking on the "your add-ons". There's a few games that also show if add-ons are installed by clicking options then clicking "information", then clicking "view" on "installed add-ons", if anything is there. Not all games show this, and worse still, some games like Dead Cells show no indication if DLC you've purchased is installed at all, so that's been fun.

Spent about an hour or so of my evening going through my games just to check if DLC was all still installed. Pretty damn annoying, never had this kind of issue with any previous update. Already tried rebooting it before re-downloading DLC to no avail. Experienced no other issues so far however, at least games themselves didn't get deleted. This whole thing reminded me how much I hate how the PS4 handles DLC, I found some "DLC" for games completely unrelated to each other under some games, like the Life is Strange episodes apparently being DLC for Sleeping Dogs.

Anyway, no idea what could have caused the issue, but just a heads up to check your own DLC if you're so inclined, especially if you notice any issues starting DLC in games you were sure you had downloaded the DLC for previously.

Edit (troubleshooting tips if you're facing this issue): If you have an external HDD, try (safely, via the settings menu) disconnecting it, and reconnecting it. This has solved the issue for some, especially those where the DLC/games were installed on the extended storage.

Failing that, try the same method, but TURN OFF your PS4 after you have disconnected the external HDD from settings. When it's off, remove your external HDD from its USB port on the PS4. Turn your PS4 back on, and when it's back on the dashboard, reconnect your external HDD and wait for it to read. This should hopefully fix any issues with DLC and/or updates showing they're no longer installed when they should be.

If you haven't updated yet, try disconnecting and physically removing the HDD (otherwise it may reconnect during the reboot process during installation) before updating the system, then reconnect it when it's done.

Restoring licenses is unlikely to help, but may be worth a shot if for some reason simply disconnecting and reconnecting your extended storage doesn't work (or you don't have an external storage device, though I've yet to hear reports of it affecting anyone that doesn't).

Hopefully Sony just issues another update to fix this, especially since this doesn't seem too uncommon an issue for people. But this is Sony we're talking about, so who knows... Not the first time they've released a system update that has broken things, there's been some that have broken a few games entirely in the past.

By delete I assume deleted from your HDD, right? Or is it that you can't access the DLC at all even though you purchased it? Or is it the worst case scenario where they deleted all the DLC from your purchase history because then there'd be a riot! I haven't had any issues with any system updates as of yet but I feel like it's only a matter of time before the large mass gets hit by some BS because Sony don't bother to fix it during the beta stage.

Edited by Xugoshi

1 hour ago, Xugoshi said:

By delete I assume deleted from your HDD, right? Or is it that you can't access the DLC at all even though you purchased it? Or is it the worst case scenario where they deleted all the DLC from your purchase history because then there'd be a riot! I haven't had any issues with any system updates as of yet but I feel like it's only a matter of time before the large mass gets hit by some BS because Sony don't bother to fix it during the beta stage.

The DLCs are still there but the games can't see them so depending on the game, they either refuse to load your saves at all or enter an infinite loadscreen when they try to, thus rendering certain titles completely unplayable. The fix is to disconnect your external hard drive, then plug it back in again so the OS rebuilds it and restores the DLC permissions.

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

The DLCs are still there but the games can't see them so depending on the game, they either refuse to load your saves at all or enter an infinite loadscreen when they try to, thus rendering certain titles completely unplayable. The fix is to disconnect your external hard drive, then plug it back in again so the OS rebuilds it and restore the DLC permissions.

Oh shit! I had that issue with some of my PS3 games! Sigh...at least there IS a solution this time around! Sony get your shit together!

1 hour ago, Xugoshi said:

@HuntingFever already answered this excellently, but I'll also just confirm that there were no issues with DLC not appearing in my purchase history - it was just an issue with the console not being able to detect the DLCs were actually installed (even though they were). Only seemed to affect games/DLC installed on the external hard drive.

• Like 2