Don't support this.

GMVehox

11 minutes ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

Please define "exploited" as you've used it here.

It looks to me like the gamers know what they're buying and the game makers know what they're selling. All I see are consenting adults willingly engaged in free market transactions.

It's like the gaming equivalent of smoking. Sure it's all consensual, but doesn't really make it good, does it?

2 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

So what exactly is pointless about what she’s doing? 

Because since these games have existed, leaderboards have lost all meaning. Now it's just a leaderboard of 'who can spend 50c the fastest'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

I lift my finger then set it down on top of the X button and apply pressure to stroke the hedgehog.

I do the exact same thing to make Ezio parkour across rooftops.

It's not a question of *how* I'm doing it. The only difference is what pictures someone else programmed to appear on my screen when I do it.

You also conveniently ignored my question. It was: What are you playing that's so dang complicated? You say I'm comparing Shakespear to EL James. What's so special about your button pushing that makes it analogous to "Shakespeare"?

So winning an MMA contest is absolutely the same as winning a pillow fight with your toddler sister since they are both martial arts contests is what your saying?

• Like 1

Just now, willmill97 said:

It's like the gaming equivalent of smoking. Sure it's all consensual, but doesn't really make it good, does it?

We could play this game all day dude. Let's say an airline pilot is a smoker and hasn't had a cigarette in hours. He had a lousy night's sleep on the couch and in the morning, his wife served him with divorce papers. Then he got a speeding ticket and a flat tire on the way to work. Then the airline told him he had to take a pay cut. And now he's supposed to fly you to Cleveland.

In that situation, letting the pilot smoke would be incredibly healthy for everybody involved.

or how about this....

Let's say someone has down syndrome and is physically handicapped too. They can't do much more than "just push X". This person obviously has no social life or job, so they spend all their time playing EZPZ games and racking up trophies. But they have fun, and it's a way for them to get involved in gaming. Would you have a problem if that person outranked you on the leaderboard??

The point is, you can't be making these blanket statements about "exploitation" and "addiction" with nothing to back it up. You don't know why any single individual chooses the games they do, or why they choose trophy hunting over traditional gaming. You seem to be using those terms solely to demonize the people you're competing with. As I said originally, this says alot more about you than it does about them.

You seem to believe that "your way" of gaming is the right way, and that your accomplishments deserve more recognition than  you've gotten. In a game of "internet points" that is truly bizarre.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

Because since these games have existed, leaderboards have lost all meaning. Now it's just a leaderboard of 'who can spend 50c the fastest'

They have not. They have the same meaning they’ve had since day 1. Get the most points 

U will always be higher than someone who has less time to play and less money to spend than u do 

3 hours ago, Alayaes said:

I fully support these games existing. I believe it's a handy tool to separate the sick from the healthy. If you consistently buy games like these, chances are that your hobby is slowly creeping into unhealthy territories. These titles exist as somewhat of an at-home mental health test——use it as a tool for personal reflection. Maybe that's why they make you stroke the hedgehog 2,500 times; it gives you plenty of time to contemplate what it is that you're doing with your life.

However, I don't support these games making it to the front page of new trophies, though I'm sure that system is automated. It completely clogs up the list of new games and washes out the ones that, subjectively, actually matter.

I am laughing so hard here…at this thread not just this comment. I can’t believe there’s going to be some people looking forward to stroking a virtual hedgehog 2000 times for a platinum…by pressing a button for each stroke.

Like…I even see that as cheating. Because it’s not even a game. Even my 9 month nephew can even get this platinum.

Edited by Starlighthed211

19 minutes ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

Please define "exploited" as you've used it here.

It looks to me like the gamers know what they're buying and the game makers know what they're selling. All I see are consenting adults willingly engaged in free market transactions.

This thread made you amazingly active for a profile that has been dormant for seven months.

11 minutes ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

We could play this game all day dude. Let's say an airline pilot is a smoker and hasn't had a cigarette in hours. He had a lousy night's sleep on the couch and in the morning, his wife served him with divorce papers. Then he got a speeding ticket and a flat tire on the way to work. Then the airline told him he had to take a pay cut. And now he's supposed to fly you to Cleveland.

In that situation, letting the pilot smoke would be incredibly healthy for everybody involved.

or how about this....

Let's say someone has down syndrome and is physically handicapped too. They can't do much more than "just push X". This person obviously has no social life or job, so they spend all their time playing EZPZ games and racking up trophies. But they have fun, and it's a way for them to get involved in gaming. Would you have a problem if that person outranked you on the leaderboard??

The point is, you can't be making these blanket statements about "exploitation" and "addiction" with nothing to back it up. You don't know why any single individual chooses the games they do, or why they choose trophy hunting over traditional gaming. You seem to be using those terms solely to demonize the people you're competing with. As I said originally, this says alot more about you than it does about them.

You seem to believe that "your way" of gaming is the right way, and that your accomplishments deserve more recognition than  you've gotten. In a game of "internet points" that is truly bizarre.

I admire your creativity with this, I really do. You're right, we could be at this all day, but I'm going to head off now and enjoy some real games while you defend paying to hold x for 5 minutes. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

Yeah, you're not the first to say so.

however you could be the first to explain *why* you feel that way, rather than just mocking the post.

Let's hear it.

It's because not all plats are made equally man. Are you seriously arguing that the quality of a game is simultaneously completely relative? A game that's actually a challenge and by extension its platinum vs. these piece of shit shovelware games and their plats, they are NOT comparable. You make it sound like because two people push the same buttons on the controller that their accomplishment is the same. What I'M saying is, that is so cartoonishly ridiculous that you cannot POSSIBLY be serious. I can run down the street but I didn't do what someone who just ran a marathon did despite us both running somewhere. 

• Like 1

Just now, Starlighthed211 said:

Pressing X for Ezio to jump a billion times isn’t going to get you the platinum.

Please man, this shouldn’t be up for debate.

Ok, I admit you have to do a little more than "press x". But I'm not exaggerating all that much.

You hold L1 and X at the same time while pressing a direction. That is literally all it takes to make Ezio navigate to any point on the map, conquer any obstacle, climb, jump, run, and basically do anything except fight.

When it's time to fight you hold L1 and repeatedly press square. You'll be next to invincible and eventually your enemies will die or give up.

performing actions is simple too. You wait until the screen flashes the words "Press Circle now" and then you press circle.

You all make it sound like your fingers are performing a ballet on  your controller. get over yourselves.

2 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

You make it sound like because two people push the same buttons on the controller that their accomplishment is the same. What I'M saying is, that is so cartoonishly ridiculous that you cannot POSSIBLY be serious. I can run down the street but I didn't do what someone who just ran a marathon did despite us both running somewhere. 

You're totally missing the point, and you've revealed your own screwball thinking in the process.

You're comparing your accomplishments against someone else's in the context of a competition that only exists in your mind. That's 100x more "unhealthy" than anything the plat-addicts are doing.

9 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

She already acknowledged that she wants to climb the leaderboard. The leaderboard has always been based on points. U climb the leaderboard by getting the most points in the shortest amount of time. This has nothing to do with how much “fun” the game is.. or how high /low quality said games are… nothing to do with how difficult/easy they are… or how ultra rare/common they are. 

She wants to climb the leaderboard so she plays games that accomplish that. AND she enjoys them too. So what exactly is pointless about what she’s doing? 

While the leaderboard is point driven, you conveniently fail to mention that the leaderboard was very different back in time.

Most games were an automatic time investment, whereas that component is now possible to basically ignore completely.

People that have been invested in the leaderboards from the start is basically pissed upon daily as this allows to continue unhindered - there is literally no standard anymore, and your example is highlighting that fact.

Yet again I must remind you: Sly made an arrangement of how DLC is calculated, and so in principle any further changes shouldn't be an issue.

Why that isn't happening, probably is a clue to why nobody takes the leaderboard seriously any longer, but also that the site is on the decline as well - considering that one of the main positives about PSNP when the site launched by was namely the leaderboard, I don't think that's an overstatement.

2 minutes ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

You're totally missing the point, and you've revealed your own screwball thinking in the process.

You're comparing your accomplishments against someone else's in the context of a competition that only exists in your mind. That's 100x more "unhealthy" than anything the plat-addicts are doing.

Whoa man so sorry I'm missing your grand point that everyone here is disagreeing with even though I seriously doubt I am. Why don't you please enlighten me

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Whoa man so sorry I'm missing your grand point that everyone here is disagreeing with even though I seriously doubt I am. Why don't you please enlighten me

I just did.

You can't win a game that nobody is playing. You can't lose either.

Sony set up the trophy system with the point values and trophy requirements. Everybody was given the exact same set of rules for the game. If you want to win that game, then go compete according to the rules. If you believe the game is somehow denigrated, or less satisfying because of what is allowed under the rules, then DON'T PLAY!

You clearly want the rules to change to accommodate your own vision of what you think the game should be. That isn't happening, so your alternative is to mock, insult, and denigrate all the other people who are playing by the rules.

that's not a good way to be

Edited by GraniteBeast603

2 minutes ago, Nebnit said:

I can't. Your AC2 analogy shattered my core belief about gaming, and pherhaps life itself. I need time to reassess what I've thought was right and wrong in the last 26 years, since I first played Dyna Blaster. How much time, I don't know yet.

I can't get over how true this is

@GraniteBeast603 right except I don't put value in the LB and I would wager just about no one in this thread arguing to not support these games does either. You made a patently absurd point about AC2 and ezpz games, are obviously unable to sell it, and are now making claims unrelated to anything having been discussed in lieu of that AC2 point

• Like 1