DLC Question

ValeNort46

On 9/10/2022 at 1:59 PM, Richtoon said:

This don’t make any sense…. You can buy PS4 and PS5 version digital game together but not DLCs?! We have to buy each of DLC twice for both versions! 1f644.png

Yeah... it's weird. But it's weirder I can't find that version you talking about. I guess they replaced that version with the new premium version (GAME OF THE YEAR). In the end is just cheaper to wait for a sale and buy all the necesary packs for each trophy set, I guess...

1. That Hot Wheels Unleashed is cross-buy must be a new thing.
- While looking on the PS-App, no cross-buy version is shown.

- While looking at the PS store with a web browser, there is one cross-buy version listed (German/EU PS Store): https://store.playstation.com/de-de/product/EP4356-PPSA02325_00-HWUPSPLUS0000000

- This should be the version you get when obtaining the game with this month's (October 2022) PS+ essential, and it is a new thing that one of the three monthly titles is available for PS4 and PS5. Normally, you get two PS4 and one exclusive PS5 game with PS+ essential.
- But still, the PS4 disc version does not offer a PS5 digital upgrade download option.

2. DLCs are not cross-buy/cross-gen.

3. For the DLC trophies, you do not need to buy the season passes. Just buy the three normal DLCs, called Expansion packs.
* Batman Expansion

* Monster Trucks Expansion
* Looney Tunes Expansion
- The normal price of all expansion packs is 15€ per pack. With the current discount in the PS-Store (Until 02 November 2022) each expansion pack costs 9 Euro instead of 15 Euro. At this price it is worth buying the expansion packs now. If the discount on the DLCs is removed, it is better to buy the HOT WHEELS™ - GOTY Upgrade Pack for 45 Euro, instead spending a total price of 45 Euro for all three expansion packs. 

Edited by Geridian
Text

2 hours ago, Geridian said:

1. Hot Wheels Unleashed is not cross-buy. You must buy the PS4 and PS5 version separate. Also the PS4 disc version does not offer a PS5 digital upgrade download option.

2. Also the DLCs are not cross-buy/cross-gen.

3. For the DLC trophies, you do not need to buy the season passes. Just buy the three normal DLCs, called Expansion packs.

PS4/PS5 Hot Wheels Unleashed digital is cross-buy. It shows PS4/PS5 above game when you’re viewing at it on psn store. 

5 hours ago, Richtoon said:

PS4/PS5 Hot Wheels Unleashed digital is cross-buy. It shows PS4/PS5 above game when you’re viewing at it on psn store. 

This is definitely not true, when you look at the PS App store page.

- While looking at the PS store with a web browser, there is one cross-buy version listed (German/EU PS Store): https://store.playstation.com/de-de/product/EP4356-PPSA02325_00-HWUPSPLUS0000000

- This should be the version you get when obtaining the game with this month's (October 2022) PS+ essential, and it is a new thing that one of the three monthly titles is available for PS4 and PS5. Normally, you get two PS4 and one exclusive PS5 game with PS+ essential.
- But still, the PS4 disc version does not offer a PS5 digital upgrade download option.

Edited by Geridian
Text

Ok, so if I want to buy any expansion pack or a DLC it's better to do it from the app as they are listed separately (just checked) but for example I cannot buy the PS4 version of the web sore for some odd reason but I can buy a GOTY edition which is a PS4/5 cross buy... am I getting it right? Anyway, that sucks... I'll wait until this gets cheaper, much cheaper.

• 3 months later...
On 10/6/2022 at 3:23 AM, J-Isoniemi said:

Have to buy again I think.

You do.

On 10/11/2022 at 3:27 AM, J-Isoniemi said:

PS+ monthly (PS5) games usually include both PS4 and PS5 versions.

They do, so if you got it for PS Plus you get both versions, but the add-ons don't come like that. They're console specific.

Edited by Long-Ryde

On 11-10-2022 at 9:27 AM, J-Isoniemi said:

PS+ monthly (PS5) games usually include both PS4 and PS5 versions.

12 hours ago, Long-Ryde said:

They do, so if you got it for PS Plus you get both versions, but the add-ons don't come like that. They're console specific.

That's actually not usually the case. Especially in the beginning when the 'had to' add a new/recent PS5 game they often only included the PS5 version even if it was a cross-buy game. 
Some examples: Maquette, Wreckfest, Maneater, Operation Tango, Bugsnax, A Plague tale innocence, Overcooked all you can eat, Ghostrunner.
I would guess it's about 50-50 that a cross-buy game gives both versions with PSPlus.

But DLC is almost never included unless it's some ultimate edition like Control.

Edited by Kolm
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Kolm said:

That's actually not usually the case. Especially in the beginning when the 'had to' add a new/recent PS5 game they often only included the PS5 version even if it was a cross-buy game. 
Some examples: Maquette, Wreckfest, Maneater, Operation Tango, Bugsnax, A Plague tale innocence, Overcooked all you can eat, Ghostrunner.
I would guess it's about 50-50 that a cross-buy game gives both versions with PSPlus.

But DLC is almost never included unless it's some ultimate edition like Control.

I think I conflated monthly essential games with the addition of premium games. You're right though, they don't usually include both base game versions but there is a chance. 

DLC is almost never included, but in my experience, if you buy DLC on the PS5, you get the DLC for the PS4 version as well. My point was, that was not the case with this game. It was a surprise to me that I'd have to buy 2 iterations of a DLC because of the differing console versions.

On 10/10/2022 at 5:04 PM, Geridian said:

2. DLCs are not cross-buy/cross-gen.

* Batman Expansion

* Monster Trucks Expansion
* Looney Tunes Expansion
- The normal price of all expansion packs is 15€ per pack. With the current discount in the PS-Store (Until 02 November 2022) each expansion pack costs 9 Euro instead of 15 Euro. At this price it is worth buying the expansion packs now. If the discount on the DLCs is removed, it is better to buy the HOT WHEELS2122.png - GOTY Upgrade Pack for 45 Euro, instead spending a total price of 45 Euro for all three expansion packs. 

?. The game never was cross-buy between PS4 & PS5 until it was added as a PS Plus offer back in October.

As for the DLC Packs and trophies, I have stated this in all 3 of my DLC guides: PS4 & PS5 DLC is not cross-buy compatible, so you would need to buy the Exapnsion packs, Hot Wheels Passes, or the GOTY passes twice.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:58 AM, Sick_Martin said:

Ok, so if I want to buy any expansion pack or a DLC it's better to do it from the app as they are listed separately (just checked) but for example I cannot buy the PS4 version of the web sore for some odd reason but I can buy a GOTY edition which is a PS4/5 cross buy... am I getting it right? Anyway, that sucks... I'll wait until this gets cheaper, much cheaper.

The app is the better approach than the web store, considering it would only list the next gen content for the most part.

But the GOTY cross-buy is false. I looked on the App Store and the GOTY bundle is separate between PS4 & PS5 with no mentions of a cross-buy in their descriptions (still discounted to $18 as of right now until the 19th btw).

• Like 1