No longer able to log into PSN on PS3

kmosesltd

6 minutes ago, kmosesltd said:

No the parental controls are turned off.

If your account was made underage as part of a family account setup, idk maybe your not allowed to login without the main account its attached to?? Though this is probably not the issue at all. I remember reading something about that. But you havent answered if your account is 18+ so im just assuming.

About the time issue: PS3 and PSVita do not automatically adjust for daylight saving time like most modern electronic devices. You have to select your timezone and if it's the time of the year with daylight saving on, then you have to enable the checkbox for daylight saving. You can just leave automatic time sync on, it's usually better anyway.
For me daylight saving time (or summertime as we call it) is ending this weekend so I'll have to uncheck the daylight saving box myself to get it back to the correct time.

---

Just for clarification: It sounds as if you're always generating a new device password when logging into the PS3?

If so: That's not how it's supposed to work.
You have to generate 1 device password for 1 console and from then on, you use that password to login on that console. You can just check the checkbox 'remember password' to save the hassle of typing it in every time.
If you have a second console, you have to generate a second device password for that second console. (console can be PS3 and PSVita as they both work the same for the passwords).

If you always generated a new password then my guess is that you have a lot of device passwords in your account and I guess Sony put some sort of limit on that amount.

Where you make device passwords, you should also be able to see how many device passwords are in your account. You won't see the actual password but only the date + time the password was created. You also have the option to delete those passwords.

So if you have a lot of them in your account: Try deleting them all and then start from scratch with creating 1 single device password that you enter on your PS3 and check the box to save the password. You don't need to check the box to automatically login if you don't want to, only the box to remember the password.

Now you wonder: Why all the hassle with logging in with a device password instead of my normal account password => PS3/PSVita is old and can't send a password to the server in a way that is secure enough by today standards. They can't upgrade this security because the consoles are not strong enough to generate the required level of security to be safe by today standards. But they don't want to risk people losing their whole account because they entered their account password on an old and insecure system and device passwords was the next best thing to use.

---

21 minutes ago, LadyGallethX3 said:

If your account was made underage as part of a family account setup, idk maybe your not allowed to login without the main account its attached to?? Though this is probably not the issue at all. I remember reading something about that. But you havent answered if your account is 18+ so im just assuming.

You're thinking of the issue where a sub account from an underage person couldn't be changed to a main account once they turned 18. So you had people of 21 still having to go through the main account to add funds to the sub account. This problem was finally fixed a few years ago. It's now possible to turn a sub account into a main account once you're 18 (if you entered the right birthday that is).

I don't think that's the issue here as they could login fine for a long time and it being a sub account shouldn't change much about being able to login or not.

For clarification: By Sony's rules: If underage people want a PSN account, then the parent/guardian has to make a main account for the parent/guardian and then from that main account they have to make a sub account for the underage person to use. The sub account has all sorts of restrictions like when it comes to adding funds, it can only be done through the main account (or maybe with prepaid PSN cards?).

Edited by Kolm
  • Like 1

I had the same issue yesterday. I have 2 PS3 and 2 Vitas. All of which had their saved passwords erased from my consoles. I tried creating new ones, but none of the passwords that were generated worked. The password system makes no sense to me. In the past, when I logged in using these passwords, they always say unused. So when revoking them, I don't know which console i'm revoking. I hate it. Anyway, no OP, you're not the only one having this problem. I haven't tried logging in today but will stay tuned here if it continues to be a problem. On PS4, everything seems okay. 

15 hours ago, maisie666 said:

The ps3 2fa process wont work unless 2fa is enabled on Primary console.  It ll just give an error message when you enter the offered password on ps3.

So after disabling the two factor authorization it still didn't work. 

14 hours ago, NuckleWill said:

Try this:

- Backup your saves;

- Delete your console user and create a new one;

I did that already, it was the last thing I did before coming to this forum, actually I went one step further and did a complete hard factory restore of my PS3

14 hours ago, LadyGallethX3 said:

My account is not 18+ ... I don't have any limitations on my account. 

14 hours ago, POMARANCZA123PL said:

Disable 2FW and see if it's gonna work. If it wont, then we know it's 100% on Sony's PS3 servers side. You did say that your ALT works, so it's not an outrage.

Yea I tried that, it's still not working. I read on that reddit post that someone shared on the first page that Sony suggested contact the ISP to get ports created or port forwarding or something?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kmosesltd said:

Yea I tried that, it's still not working. I read on that reddit post that someone shared on the first page that Sony suggested contact the ISP to get ports created or port forwarding or something?

This is not applicable as your alt account can still login fine. If that would be needed, no account would be able to login, probably not even on PS4/PS5.

Check my suggestion about the amount of device passwords, I'm curious to know as well :) 

1 hour ago, Kolm said:

This is not applicable as your alt account can still login fine. If that would be needed, no account would be able to login, probably not even on PS4/PS5.

Check my suggestion about the amount of device passwords, I'm curious to know as well :) 

I only have one device password active right now and it's the one I'm trying to use on my PS3. 

I've had this problem previously and found that changing the automatic updates from off to on (or vice versa) resolves it. Don't ask me how or why, I'm not going to pretend I understand it, but it's been a pretty simple fix. You can always change automatic updates back to your preferred settings as soon as you're back online.

I did have a separate problem logging in for about a week, which turned out to be an issue between Virgin Media (my ISP) and Sony.

• Like 2

Previously posted here to say I too was having this problem. To recap really quickly: Started having this problem on Thursday, where my 2 PS3s and my 2 Vitas were signed out with there saved passwords erased. Tried generating new passwords for them using the Playstation website, but none of the passwords generated worked. Tried a couple of the suggestions mentioned here but still couldn't sign in. No problems signing in on PS4.

Solution: After searching Reddit, I came across a post saying to change your main PSN password. After changing my main password, generating a new password for my PS3 worked first try.

Guessing the PS3 required a password changed but the firmware has no way of displaying that with the new requirements? IDK. Anyway, hope this helps someone here who is having the same issue.

Update 1: Still can't sign in to either of my Vitas. Sigh...

Update 2: Vita sign-ins now DO work. I just had to wait a couple days after password change I guess for this console.

To clarify, I was not getting an error code when attempting to sign in, so maybe the issue I was having was different than the OP. I was getting the "go to Playstation website to generate passwords" pop-up, even though I was using the passwords given there.

Edited by NeoRaidenX
Update
  • Like 2

When this device password update came out I have had problems with certain accounts on certain consoles and I have no idea how to fix them, it's so annoying yet so obvious that Sony are doing everything they can to kill the PS3 off and make it, so we simply cannot be arsed to jump through hoops to get things working. Conclusion it might not ever fix itself, but I found disabling 2FA and putting it back on some accounts worked again, but it was temporary, and it's only PS3 and Vita having the problems, obviously.

46 minutes ago, NeoRaidenX said:

Previously posted here to say I too was having this problem. To recap really quickly: Started having this problem on Thursday, where my 2 PS3s and my 2 Vitas were signed out with there saved passwords erased. Tried generating new passwords for them using the Playstation website, but none of the passwords generated worked. Tried a couple of the suggestions mentioned here but still couldn't sign in. No problems signing in on PS4.

Solution: After searching Reddit, I came across a post saying to change your main PSN password. After changing my main password, generating a new password for my PS3 worked first try.

Guessing the PS3 required a password changed but the firmware has no way of displaying that with the new requirements? IDK. Anyway, hope this helps someone here who is having the same issue.

Edit: Still can't sign in to either of my Vitas. Sigh...

Not worked to me.....

12 minutes ago, TheRetroManiac said:

When this device password update came out I have had problems with certain accounts on certain consoles and I have no idea how to fix them, it's so annoying yet so obvious that Sony are doing everything they can to kill the PS3 off and make it, so we simply cannot be arsed to jump through hoops to get things working. Conclusion it might not ever fix itself, but I found disabling 2FA and putting it back on some accounts worked again, but it was temporary, and it's only PS3 and Vita having the problems, obviously.

Nada......

I think its the latest firmware. Since 4.89 loads of people reporting issues. Main issues I've seen is controllers stop connecting, people can't sign in and the text showing twice. I've had the issue signing in but enabling 2step always solved it, non official controllers have to be re synced if i have auto controller off enabled, and I've had the double text. It's like because they had to keep the store open they thought right we will just slowly make the console unusable. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 5:17 PM, GuigaBlack93 said:

Sup dude? I had the same in the last Wednesday, did u try log in another ps3?

I haven't yet too.

Yea I called my brother who lives 400 kms away from me in Southern Ontario (I live in Northern Ontario) and he tried logging into my PSN on his PS3 and it wouldn't let him :(

3 hours ago, NeoRaidenX said:

Edit: Still can't sign in to either of my Vitas. Sigh...

I tried the password change, I even had Sony on the phone when I did it and it still didn't work. Mind you Sony on the phone was like "So sorry but we don't provide support for the PS3 anymore so you last option is to send your PS3 in for repair to see if we can fix it here"... 

On 10/29/2022 at 2:16 PM, Ashande said:

A couple of weeks ago I spent several hours tearing my hair out because my PS3 wouldn’t connect either. Generated new device passwords, messed with the 2FA options, nothing, nada. I don’t recall the specific error message I was getting, so uncertain if it was the same one or not, but one thing finally fixed the issue and I haven’t seen anyone mention it here, so… worth trying?

Under Settings -> Network Settings, there’s an option marked “Media Server Connection.” It defaults to “Enabled.” Flip it to “Disabled,” log out and then try logging back in. Like I said, I don’t know/remember if my error message was the same as yours, but it’s a “can’t hurt to try” Hail Mary at this point.

Good luck.

I just went and tried this and still no luck. Still getting the same error message. 

• Like 1

For anyone else who is experiencing this issue, do you also notice the time go back by one hour when attempting to log in? If this behaviour is consistent with everyone who's experiencing the problem, I do wonder if it's somehow related to DST. Maybe try manually setting your clock back an hour? This is really a shot in the dark as I don't think having the wrong time should really affect login and it does seem like it's something specific with your account, but worth a try at this point.

One other thing you can try maybe is delete some friends from you list if you have a lot on your list. Again this normally shouldn't really affect logging in but you never know and it's worth a shot.

Aside from that, no idea. Clearly it's affecting a lot of people but not everyone, so if we can determine some constants between the affected users, might help with figuring out a solution to this problem (timezone, amount of friends, age of account, etc.)

Edited by TheRedMaverick
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, TheRedMaverick said:

For anyone else who is experiencing this issue, do you also notice the time go back by one hour when attempting to log in? If this behaviour is consistent with everyone who's experiencing the problem, I do wonder if it's somehow related to DST. Maybe try manually setting your clock back an hour? This is really a shot in the dark as I don't think having the wrong time should really affect login and it does seem like it's something specific with your account, but worth a try at this point.

One other thing you can try maybe is delete some friends from you list if you have a lot on your list. Again this normally shouldn't really affect logging in but you never know and it's worth a shot.

Aside from that, no idea. Clearly it's affecting a lot of people but not everyone, so if we can determine some constants between the affected users, might help with figuring out a solution to this problem (timezone, amount of friends, age of account, etc.)

I have exactly 29 friends on my PSN.

I have my time and date set to not be automatic because right now the DST is incorrect because where I live we have DST starting later than what the PS3 thinks (poor programing I guess)

My timezone is EST in Ontario, Canada