Is this game any good at all?

It isn't as good as Asylum or City but it is still a very enjoyable singleplayer experience, and many people say that the story in Origins is the best in the series but the gameplay tweaks don't make it quite as nice to play as the previous titles. 

The multiplayer is apparently terrible but I have no personal experience with that. 

Parker

• Like 1

I liked it just a little bit less than the other two, still a pretty good game though (Apart from MP) You should give it a go. One of the only problems I had with it was the map and how the buildings were all located differently compared to City, there was also a small glitch that showed that I had a collectable to find even though I had already picked it up.

I didn't think it was as good as Asylum or City, but it was still fun and had the same combat experience as the other two since they have the same mechanics. Story-wise I personally thought it was alright and thought the other two were better, but that's just a personal thing. I never bothered with the multiplayer but I hear it's really hard to find games with enough players.

• 3 weeks later...

I just played it for the second time about 2 weeks ago. The fighting it not as polished as Asylum or City, I think the story is pretty good, I doesn't really slow down much whish is one problem I have with City. If you looking for a Batman game to tide you over until Arkham Knight it is a good one. And there is a new story DLC coming later next month that is about the first time Batman goes up against Mr. Freeze.

freedom452.png

• 4 weeks later...

It's strange. After City I thought that this was going to be amazing, simply due to the trailers. But after playing it I saw it had a couple of very big flaws. Lack of places to grapple onto was one of the main ones. The lack of freedom of movement from both that and the quite constrictive map (never felt as free or as flowing and open as City did).

The biggest problem though was the combat. They removed Batmans ability to cancel his own attacks in favour of a counter. I didn't know this and just thought that the game was glitchy. It took ages to get used to the new way of playing.

Strangely enough, Deathstroke in the challenge maps plays almost exactly like Batman in City, so it was a deliberate effort to make Batman not as good in this one (I imagine to relect that he wasn't yet the awesome machine he would become).

Once I got used to the combat system and movement I have to say that Origins is one of the best Arkham games, never as good as City, but then that was one fo the best games ever made. It is better than Asylum though. I play Origins regularly and am still going after those thousand medals. I almost never go back to Asylum.

I say get it.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I find the game fun and great, the story is compelling and the bosses are fun. The problems I have with the gameplay for me, were the bugs and glitches I experience at times. I had to sometime quit the game and play from the last checkpoint. So strange that happened to me, even the good moments I was playing, that happened.

Thus with that being said, I have not tried the multiplayer or experience it yet for myself... So I can't give opinion on that but from hearing of people, they have told me that the trophies are annoying and multiplayer isn't that good.

It's definitely not as good as the first two but it was a good try, considering it was made by a different studio. The story had some really cool parts, but other parts felt like it was trying to copy certain scenes from asylum and city. The multiplayer isn't the best and can be very annoying when it freezes, but it is fun. In the end I feel like the company didn't try as hard as they could've when making the game, but it was a decent attempt.

• 4 months later...

I don't get what the problem is. I played this on Xbox and recently got it for ps3. It is amazing. Ignore all these negative reviews this game is great. As you can tell I am a massive arkham fan. Get this game you won't be dissapointed, the single player is great. You may have heard a lot of negative reviews about the multiplayer, the only problem I ever had was now and then I would disconnect/freeze but I really enjoyed the mp. I just finished with the trophies in multiplayer and I found it really really fun. I will definitely be going back to the mp. GET THIS GAME!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would declare it an almost identical experience to Arkham City, with a less interesting storyline and several more glitches.

I would score the game somewhere in between City and Asylum. It's easily a great game/must have but, if you've done the other two, it's just more of the same and there's a possibility that you might get tired of it.

EDIT: After playing through the game 3 times and doing every challenge, I'd like to add that this game is a bit of a glitchy mess. Too many time during the challenges, enemies would morph through the floors and get stuck in the walls. It's to the point now when I can almost recreate at will the ability to do a takedown on someone that isn't even standing near me.

I've also come to the conclusion that the programmers have purposely programmed the AI to avoid instances where they present themselves in a manner that allows you to perform the specific takedowns needed for the challenges. On more than 10 occasions, I sat on a perch and watched for 20 minutes as the AI circled in ridiculous patterns and never once walked near a wall, or grate, or vent, or under a vantage point.

One of the most noticeable differences between Origins and City is that Gotham contains about 30% less points at which you can use your grapple gun and the grappling has a fraction of the intuition that City had. I'd be willing to say that on no less than 100 times, I've jumped from the highest point in the city, started gliding and managed to touch the street before finding a grapple point (and that was only if I rotated the camera and looked directly at the exact point to grapple to; which is hard considering the right thumb is already being used for holding the :cross: and can't rotate the right stick).

I'm about to start the mp and we've all heard horror stories about that too. I'm gonna have to alter my original score of "between Asylum and City" to now being a tie or less than Asylum. The absence of the same dev team shows loud and clear but, it's still full of Batman serving up justice and stuff.

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 2