Don't listen to the reviews!!!

Titanomachy_75

If you had a good time, that's great .

My experience:

It's a buggy, average game, at best, for 70 dollars. 

Great graphics, on PS5, but everything else has been done better before. 

It's not scary, its story is boring, enemies are dull, dodge mechanic is poorly implemented and we can go on and on. 

• Like 2

I love it i knew as soon as i read the op's original post that he was in for a rough time.  Everyone would come along and tell him how he wasn't looking at it correctly.  Or give him shit for voicing his opinion in a way they didn't agree with and so on.  So I dropped in to read the comments and it didn't disappoint.   

5 minutes ago, PotrikBerger said:

Dude, what is it with these regular aggressive posts? Are you ok?

I don’t know you from Adam, but your name sticks in my mind like a sore thumb because every other post I read from you seems to just be a mess of dull-witted aggression which rarely says anything beyond informing the world (yet again!) you are a superior human being, with much more money and are better at gaming etc etc (major yawn) accompanied by some dig or insult. This guy above just offers his opinion and instead of entering into an intelligent debate, you immediately seem to go to acting like my 6 year old and suggest he leave the site? I mean you just don’t appear to ever offer up engaging conversation, insightful observations, clever wit or intelligent debate. It’s just insecure drivel that has a nasty and aggressive tone. Seems completely the opposite of what this site is about and can make uncomfortable reading at times.

Why not not do yourself (and everybody else) a favour and take a day off.

Who's Adam? What's with your rant? are you AJ? 

1 minute ago, steel6burgh said:

I love it i knew as soon as i read the op's original post that he was in for a rough time.  Everyone would come along and tell him how he wasn't looking at it correctly.  Or give him shit for voicing his opinion in a way they didn't agree with and so on.  So I dropped in to read the comments and it didn't disappoint.   

lol yeah, nobody can have opinions here. Its either everything modern is trash, or games are good or decent but you're in the wrong for supporting bad practices lol.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

Who's Adam? What's with your rant? are you AJ? 

lol yeah, nobody can have opinions here. Its either everything modern is trash, or games are good or decent but you're in the wrong for supporting bad practices lol.

yeah I knew AJ was going to have a post about how modern games suck.  He's 30 going on 95.   Reminds me of story's grandpa use to tell 30 years ago before he died.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, steel6burgh said:

yeah I knew AJ was going to have a post about how modern games suck.  He's 30 going on 95.   Reminds me of story's grandpa use to tell 30 years ago

My grandpa is dead but at least he adapted to modern technology and was using laptops before he went. Wasn't stuck in the past.

71 on meta, 6.8 on user side. It is still a GOOD game. 

Edited by Infected Elite
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 11:49 PM, knicksrulez220 said:

This is one of those games that needed to get in the mid 80s or higher on metacritic to really succeed.

New studio, making a new IP, for a linear game with limited replay value. $70 is too much money to take a chance on something with these mixed reviews for me. Had this game reviewed better I would have hopped on Day 1. Now I will wait for a sale and very likely get the Dead Space remake Day 1.

You're not wrong but it is a shame that the new IP ends up being a disappointment and so we all put our money towards something that we've already played before.

The remake does look good and I'll almost certainly buy it (althought not at £70) but I take issue with studios forgoing risk with new and innovative ideas and instead saying "well you know you'll like it because you've already played it right?".

• Like 2

It got some mixed reviews but why are we acting like a 70% average on metacritic is terrible? I'd rate it somewhere  around a 7 to 7.5/10, had a good time although I agree that it wasn't great but not every game has to be. They definitely have a solid foundation to work with if they ever decide to make a sequel and i hope they do as there's potential so long as they flesh things out. My main criticisms are that the game has almost no horror elements whatsoever despite being a survival horror, theres not much tension as far as survival goes due to the sheer amount of supplies given to you, the story is serviceable but it definitely left a lot to be desired along with the characters, the checkpoints can be somewhat of an annoyance if you're one to explore optional areas and it just felt way too easy even on the hardest difficulty as your main character is damn near a tank once upgraded. It's not the masterpiece or resurrection of sci-fi horror people have been hoping for but still an enjoyable experience. 

I'm convinced majority here shitting on the game are the same ones that couldnt figure out how to dodge or had a hard time on maximum difficulty so they had to resort to glitching lol. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BrandedBerserk said:

theres not much tension as far as survival goes due to the sheer amount of supplies given to you

But even if you were given 0 supplies, you'd be fine anyway as combat is melee focused. Every enemy encounter can be beaten without using any supplies and without getting hit. This completely destroyed any tension the game was trying to create for me because I knew I'd be okay no matter what.

• Like 1

This game was a huge disappointment for me. Combat was hard to get used to. Story was lackluster. But the biggest letdown was the STUPID and frustrating boss fights. One hit kills on lowest difficulty and for some reason Jacob turns into a slug and cant run during the boss fights. I have not beat the last boss and gave out of frustration. The fights are very CHEAP!!!!  Overall I give it a 5 out of 10. Think the game had GREAT potential but overall failed finished product. One last note the checkpoints SUCK. So many time get put in a bad spot with little to no health and respawn in another bad spot and die.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

If you're so unhappy about everything just leave the site. You won't have to read so much that upsets you or copy and paste the same answers over and over. 

As much as i didn't like the game as listed above, hopefully it gets a sequel so they can expand and go further with ideas based off what the fans and players have said.

Leave the site… lol. All they said was how they didn’t like the game, again a difference of opinion but apparently we can’t post in here unless we agree with the OP.

They definitely didn’t seem upset. Clearly communicating their difference of opinion. But okay ?

I just platinumed the game.  Graphics 10/10, Sound 9/10, story 4/10, and Gameplay 5/10.   I would say I overall had a ok time with this game.  The tanky enemies and the getting one shot throughout the game got old quick. If they made a sequel I hope they would listen to feed back and make the gameplay better. I would definitely say catch this game on sale for half off.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DragonKing_V said:

I just platinumed the game.  Graphics 10/10, Sound 9/10, story 4/10, and Gameplay 5/10.   I would say I overall had a ok time with this game.  The tanky enemies and the getting one shot throughout the game got old quick. If they made a sequel I hope they would listen to feed back and make the gameplay better. I would definitely say catch this game on sale for half off.  

I feel the same but for me the combat was awesome I loved it 10/10 for me and for the story I can see where people can hate it or love it ... But I will just say this have people looked at stories lately from Hollywood! lol I mean lord of the rings amazon? Star wars? IF this one is bad then those and much much more from Hollywood must be from a trash bin! So, naw the story was fine better then 95% of the stuff coming from hollywood!  

Edited by Titanomachy_75
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ChibsSoA said:

Nah, our standards are fine. There are two sides to the coin. You may have gotten too hung up on nonsense and couldn't see the forest through the trees. It was a fantastic game if you played it on max security and took your time and really took it all in. If we're being hyperbolic, I bet a lot of people sped through it on casual to trivialize the combat, and a lot are just (either intentionally or not) bandwagoning bad reviews from other versions of the game that ran poorly.

The atmosphere was great. The story picked up really well in the second half of the game, and especially at the end. The two main characters had great growth. Combat was very unique and performed flawlessly if you knew what you were doing. If you messed up in a fight, it was on you, not the game. 

Opinions can vary but insinuating people's standards are low because they enjoyed it is wrong.

Your time stamps show you glitched the max security trophy, so your experience was definitely not the same as someone playing on max security where the game is a lot more tense. Horror games typically have no pressure on low difficulties and that's their main appeal and selling point. I truly feel like the developer intended max security to be the defining experience and anything below was just included for lesser skilled gamers. It had the perfect balance of being fair while still being challenging. No offense to anyone who did play on casual, but you cannot tell me it's the same when you're ending fights half as fast, getting hit half as hard, and have a lot more supplies laid at your feet to just blaze through the game with.

Funny how you bothered to dive into my profile to see what I did with this game. I actually played it in Maximum Security, most of the game. So while you try to create a false narrative of “that’s why I didn’t like it”, I never said the game was hard either.

You create a fallacy by saying the only way to play this game was on hardest And to appreciate it. A game should stand on its own legs without the difficult supporting it. 

I play 90% of my games on hardest, even if there’s no trophy associated with it. It creates challenges and stretches out games that make it feel good. Maximum Security was the opposite of “creating a challenge”. There was no challenge. Just frustrations. Wiggle a stick back and fourth. So invigorating. And the combat completely falls apart when there’s multiples enemies on the screen. No exploration (no map even), the most droll combat, a story that was made 100 times by other sci-fi movies while forcing us to like characters that literally had 0 character progression. You said amazing but HOW?! The side character is a complete bitch from the beginning til the last 90%, then you’re supposed to care? Not sure how I’m supposed to feel connected to characters with only 30 minutes total of actual dialogue and exchanges?

Poor mans dead space. They did it better then and should’ve just went a different direction. 

Good graphics is the only thing this game had. Big whoop.

TLDR to others: Pick it up in bargain bin and it won’t be insulting with its $70 price tag. You won’t feel so cheated and the sting of a sub par game with a price tag to justify the product.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zeep_Xanflorp92 said:

Funny how you bothered to dive into my profile to see what I did with this game. I actually played it in Maximum Security, most of the game. So while you try to create a false narrative of “that’s why I didn’t like it”, I never said the game was hard either.

You create a fallacy by saying the only way to play this game was on hardest And to appreciate it. A game should stand on its own legs without the difficult supporting it. 

I play 90% of my games on hardest, even if there’s no trophy associated with it. It creates challenges and stretches out games that make it feel good. Maximum Security was the opposite of “creating a challenge”. There was no challenge. Just frustrations. Wiggle a stick back and fourth. So invigorating. And the combat completely falls apart when there’s multiples enemies on the screen. No exploration (no map even), the most droll combat, a story that was made 100 times by other sci-fi movies while forcing us to like characters that literally had 0 character progression. You said amazing but HOW?! The side character is a complete bitch from the beginning til the last 90%, then you’re supposed to care? Not sure how I’m supposed to feel connected to characters with only 30 minutes total of actual dialogue and exchanges?

Poor mans dead space. They did it better then and should’ve just went a different direction. 

Good graphics is the only thing this game had. Big whoop.

TLDR to others: Pick it up in bargain bin and it won’t be insulting with its $70 price tag. You won’t feel so cheated and the sting of a sub par game with a price tag to justify the product.

Cool story bro. I too start games on the hardest difficulty and lower the difficulty at some point even though I feel they are not difficult. Really?

TLDR to others: form your own opinion and don't listen to anyone in this topic, metacritic or anywhere else. Most of these guys played it on baby difficulty and complained it wasn't tense

Edited by ChibsSoA
  • Like 1

Just now, Vulpine9Tails said:

I'm mostly not playing it because of the $90 price tag here in Canada. It's short and not generally my cup of tea but I am interested. I have my name down for a library copy but not expecting my turn until about this time next year lol.

This is a very fair argument and one I share. The game is too short for $70.

However, that shouldn't affect the score a game should get. Length is irrelevant on the quality of something IMO. Otherwise people's scores would change if it were free or price dropped which is illogical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vulpine9Tails said:

I'm mostly not playing it because of the $90 price tag here in Canada. It's short and not generally my cup of tea but I am interested. I have my name down for a library copy but not expecting my turn until about this time next year lol.

or buy it, beat it that day, go get your refund. lol. Thats what i did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChibsSoA said:

Cool story bro. I too start games on the hardest difficulty and lower the difficulty at some point even though I feel they are not difficult. Really?

TLDR to others: form your own opinion and don't listen to anyone in this topic, metacritic or anywhere else. Most of these guys played it on baby difficulty and complained it wasn't tense

Lmao and all you have to rebuddle is “cool story bro” 

clown ? no one said it wasn’t tense. It’s just a bad game. I bolded some of your ridiculous statements, not gonna waste my time any more with this.

Gaming expectations are going down the tubes. Hence why we get the same sports games every year, half baked games that take years to properly fix and implement the original vision. But you do you guy.

Even said how price shouldn’t dictate score or is irrelevant? So you go to a 5 star restaurant and pay $200 for a plate, you don’t have sort of expectation, or hoping that the price is JUSTIFIED? We do this daily. But okay make less sense than before ??

Edited by Zeep_Xanflorp92

3 hours ago, ChibsSoA said:

I note that you discarded the majority of their other (perfectly legitimate) complaints with nothing but a “cool story, bro,” and then double down with ad hominem attacks (“baby difficulty.”) Will you do the same to me, I wonder? Are my concerns or issues with the game more valid because I did Max Security? Further, you (like many of those giving the game a positive recommendation) glossed over the question regarding what about the story was so great (I believe your claim is that it really picks up in the second half; what about it provided that sudden boost?) I’ve already provided my opinion on the story, how it was dull, generic, one-note, cliche and sometimes nonsensical, that it never took any time to give actual worldbuilding and that the characters (barring Faris) were dull performances with poor interactions and motivations (and the less said about what Jacob knows about his cargo, the better), but all you provide as rebuttal is “it’s good.”

To have any kind of meaningful dialogue, all sides need to be able to articulate their viewpoint and how they came to it, and preferably do it in a way that doesn’t amount to “yeah, well, that guy sucks so his opinion doesn’t count.” I know, I know, insert Black Panther “We don’t do that here” GIF.

Regarding the game being tense or not, I’d say there’s a difference between “tense,” as in a feeling of dread, apprehension and fear about whether to proceed or not, and “frustrating and irritating,” as in when the game spawns in a Two Head and a pair of Spitters and the last time you recall seeing the “checkpoint saved” message was two cutscenes, a shop visit and six enemies ago, when you roll your eyes and say “Cool. Gonna get to do all that again.” Alien: Isolation is tense. Dead Space is tense. Silent Hill 2 is tense. Each of those games had moments where I’d come to a hallway or door or intersection, feeling palpable dread and isolation, worrying about which way to go or if I have the resources to push through or not, expertly timed moments when the xenomorph slithered across my path or an unseen necromorph was lying in wait or where I could hear the great knife being drug down the corridor and knew he was waiting for me. Callisto did not provide that experience. Callisto offered the occasional jumpscare (usually heavily telegraphed), and basic mathematical evaluation (“there’s <x> enemies, two grinders, a vantage point there and I have <x> batteries/ammo and the last checkpoint was <x> seconds ago. Is picking up the shiny in the corner worth it?”) based on how annoying it would be if I lost that fight. Again, all of that is aside from the technical issues, when the game decides things just don’t work, which only compound the already existing flaws.

Lastly, I actually agree that an opinion should be formed based on personal experience whenever possible (which is the reason there are a lot of games I absolutely despise with 100% trophy/achievements in my lists.) But given that games cost money, poking a bit to see if something is in your wheelhouse or not is not a bad thing, which is where being able to articulate your reasons for thinking a thing is good or bad come in. Just saying it’s good with vague statements, then insulting anyone who disagrees with your viewpoint and discarding their point-by-point lists of why they disagree with you isn’t helping anyone. Further, if you genuinely believe that, then they are free to utterly ignore your posts, as well.

But that’s just my $0.02. If you think the game is that great, by all means. Enjoy. But that means other people have the option to not enjoy it.

Edited by Ashande
Missed word
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ashande said:

I note that you discarded the majority of their other (perfectly legitimate) complaints with nothing but a “cool story, bro,” and then double down with ad hominem attacks (“baby difficulty.”) Will you do the same to me, I wonder? Are my concerns or issues with the game more valid because I did Max Security? Further, you (lithose giving the game a positive recommendation) glossed over the question regarding what about the story was so great (I believe your claim is that it really picks up in the second half; what about it provided that sudden boost?) I’ve already provided my opinion on the story, how it was dull, generic, one-note, cliche and sometimes nonsensical, that it never took any time to give actual worldbuilding and that the characters (barring Faris) were dull performances with poor interactions and motivations (and the less said about what Jacob knows about his cargo, the better), but all you provide as rebuttal is “it’s good.”

Regarding the game being tense or not, I’d say there’s a difference between “tense,” as in a feeling of dread, apprehension and fear about whether to proceed or not, and “frustrating and irritating,” as in when the game spawns in a Two Head and a pair of Spitters and the last time you recall seeing the “checkpoint saved” message was two cutscenes, a shop visit and six enemies ago, when you roll your eyes and say “Cool. Gonna get to do all that again.” Alien: Isolation is tense. Dead Space is tense. Silent Hill 2 is tense.

Just saying it’s good with vague statements, then insulting anyone who disagrees with your viewpoint and discarding their point-by-point lists of why they disagree with you isn’t helping anyone. Further, if you genuinely believe that, then they are free to utterly ignore your posts, as well.

Im glad you also saw right through his baiting and lack of follow through with any intellectual or tangible response.

He literally said nothing, threw out attacks then doubled down. Even tried mocking me with the TLDR. Pretty childish.

I 100% agree with everything you’ve said, this game has very little to offer when it comes to a horror/survival game, if we can even call it that.

Edited by Zeep_Xanflorp92

4 hours ago, Ashande said:

I note that you discarded the majority of their other (perfectly legitimate) complaints with nothing but a “cool story, bro,” and then double down with ad hominem attacks (“baby difficulty.”) Will you do the same to me, I wonder? Are my concerns or issues with the game more valid because I did Max Security? Further, you (like many of those giving the game a positive recommendation) glossed over the question regarding what about the story was so great (I believe your claim is that it really picks up in the second half; what about it provided that sudden boost?) I’ve already provided my opinion on the story, how it was dull, generic, one-note, cliche and sometimes nonsensical, that it never took any time to give actual worldbuilding and that the characters (barring Faris) were dull performances with poor interactions and motivations (and the less said about what Jacob knows about his cargo, the better), but all you provide as rebuttal is “it’s good.”

To have any kind of meaningful dialogue, all sides need to be able to articulate their viewpoint and how they came to it, and preferably do it in a way that doesn’t amount to “yeah, well, that guy sucks so his opinion doesn’t count.” I know, I know, insert Black Panther “We don’t do that here” GIF.

Regarding the game being tense or not, I’d say there’s a difference between “tense,” as in a feeling of dread, apprehension and fear about whether to proceed or not, and “frustrating and irritating,” as in when the game spawns in a Two Head and a pair of Spitters and the last time you recall seeing the “checkpoint saved” message was two cutscenes, a shop visit and six enemies ago, when you roll your eyes and say “Cool. Gonna get to do all that again.” Alien: Isolation is tense. Dead Space is tense. Silent Hill 2 is tense. Each of those games had moments where I’d come to a hallway or door or intersection, feeling palpable dread and isolation, worrying about which way to go or if I have the resources to push through or not, expertly timed moments when the xenomorph slithered across my path or an unseen necromorph was lying in wait or where I could hear the great knife being drug down the corridor and knew he was waiting for me. Callisto did not provide that experience. Callisto offered the occasional jumpscare (usually heavily telegraphed), and basic mathematical evaluation (“there’s <x> enemies, two grinders, a vantage point there and I have <x> batteries/ammo and the last checkpoint was <x> seconds ago. Is picking up the shiny in the corner worth it?”) based on how annoying it would be if I lost that fight. Again, all of that is aside from the technical issues, when the game decides things just don’t work, which only compound the already existing flaws.

Lastly, I actually agree that an opinion should be formed based on personal experience whenever possible (which is the reason there are a lot of games I absolutely despise with 100% trophy/achievements in my lists.) But given that games cost money, poking a bit to see if something is in your wheelhouse or not is not a bad thing, which is where being able to articulate your reasons for thinking a thing is good or bad come in. Just saying it’s good with vague statements, then insulting anyone who disagrees with your viewpoint and discarding their point-by-point lists of why they disagree with you isn’t helping anyone. Further, if you genuinely believe that, then they are free to utterly ignore your posts, as well.

But that’s just my $0.02. If you think the game is that great, by all means. Enjoy. But that means other people have the option to not enjoy it.

First of all, I'm not going to get into story specifics because that's spoiler territory. If you didn't like the story, that's fine. There's nothing to explain, it's pretty surface level. Some people are going to like it and some are not. I do not have to justify why I enjoyed the story, it's subjective.

I'm also not going to counter argue every single point anyone makes. You can take my opinion as my review of the game, it's not on me to discredit anyone else's stance. I am simply giving my own stance.

Secondly, whether you played on max difficulty or not, your opinion is your opinion. My argument to those who did not enjoy the game and also played on casual was that they did not get the same experience, and didn't play the game to it's full potential (which is how we should be judging games). How do you think Elden Ring would have fared if there was an "easy mode" where people could steamroll it? You got the same experience as me on maximum, you are still allowed to not like it. You also presume/project a lot here. I never once said that my opinion matters over anyone else's. I quite literally said that people should not listen to anyone in this topic and form their own opinions, and that includes myself. My entire post was a counter argument to give an opposing stance to prove there was vast subjectivity when it came to this game being good or bad. A majority saying its bad doesn't factually make it bad. A minority saying it was good doesn't make it factually good.

Your problem is you either shared his opinion and got offended at it being challenged, or just jumped the gun because you didn't like the tone. My posts were defenses to the notion that people's standards are bad if they enjoyed it. The "cool story bro" can equate to "yeah right" because I wasn't buying his (clear) lie. If you didn't like the tone, oh well. I didn't like his tone in the first place to insinuate that I must have shit taste because I enjoyed it. Also the things you say about tenseness, that's again, very subjective. I found this game to be just as tense as silent hill 2, which I had recently replayed and found myself with plenty of manual save locations every few minutes. But again, nothing you said there was factual, just your own personal opinion. A lot of your criticisms in paragraph 3 are literally describing Silent Hill 2 and Dead Space.

I still stand by everything I said - that many out there are bandwagon hating and many are hating on a game they either felt cheated on price/length, or played it on easy and weren't challenged at all. That doesn't mean that EVERYONE who didn't like it fits that bill. You are quite literally just doing the exact thing he did, and trying to argue that if you enjoyed the game your standards must be low (because you're implying it didn't meet your standards). Or just generalizing/presuming and acting like I was saying my opinion was fact when I literally never said anything of the sort.

I don't care if people enjoyed it or hated it. I care that people are judging a survival horror for its combat and lack of difficulty after having played it on its easiest difficulty. If you didn't like it after playing it on maximum, that's a perfectly valid opinion. You can at least judge it, IMO, to the fullest potential. For survival horror games, they are meant to be played on harder difficulties historically. Resident Evil's, Dead Space, Silent Hill, etc. are wildly different games on casual. The survival aspect is lost if you're handfed items, and the horror element is lost if you're plowing through. If people played it on maximum and still hated it, all the power to them. But people cannot speed through a game on easy and then complain combat was boring or that it never felt like anything was at stake.

If you feel it's overpriced for the length, or too short, I share your sentiment. But we do not determine the quality of a movie based on its length, or the quality of a piece of artwork based on its price. I felt it was somewhat easy on maximum security, so yeah, anything less to me is going to be "baby mode" because anything easier just seems like barely any difficulty. I'm not judging anyone if they want to play on "baby mode", but it is objectively a much easier time. My mention of that was to just say that certain people played the game a certain way and that onlookers should factor that into their opinion when looking at topics like this on a recommend/stay away kind of basis. Survival horrors typically only include easier modes to be more accessible to those who can't stomach a more tense and difficult (again, subjective) experience.

Judge it for what it is at its best potential, stop comparing it to other games and stop letting cost or lack of getting your money's worth factor into the experience when you are judging it. You can be salty at those things but those things should not factor into a review of the game itself.

Again, my entire post was to show that it is not factual that this is a "bad game". People can form their own opinion, but opinions will never be fact. And we should not be claiming that people's standards are low if they enjoyed something a lot unless it was objectively shit, which this was absolutely not. I never once crapped on someone's opinion of it being a (in their opinion) bad game. Not once. All I did was say some are judging it through a watered down version of what the developer intended (so that they could get their platinum faster/easier). And if you still hated it after playing the intended difficulty, you're allowed to hate it

Edited by ChibsSoA
  • Like 2