Tidus discussion

BossChad1216

Tidus can be annoying, but at the same time he is just meant to be a kid who is caught up in the middle of alot of adult themes. He has a fair bit of character progression, even though the voice actor + writing doesn't do a very good job of showing how he went from cocky kid to an adult with principles.

Auron is my favourite character - he should have been the main character - his character story would have worked just fine in place of Tidus' :)

• Like 1

I totally agree with the theory that if you remove Tidus & Seymour from the game it actually gets even better. Seymour was a pretty bad sub-villain as far as plots go - kill father--> marry Yuna--> get glory passively. His only real use was to help the story along and get the group from Luca to Macalania.

Don't get me wrong - FFX is one of my favourites in the franchise :) I just think if you removed Tidus and made Auron the main character, you wouldn't even need Seymour in there as Aurons story and motivations alone would be enough.

i really like Tidus, maybe is the voice acting and been the first final fantasy with it, got really weird sometimes, other than that, final fantasy X still and will always be my favorite game of all time and the best FF obviously

And by the way Crisis core is so much better than VII, Zack is a lot better than Cloud, Sephiroth is awesome, trough.

Edited by Marcelo
  • Like 4

Vaan was worse. I can at least remember Tidus. Vaan was one of the most forgettable, boring FF characters I ever saw. Take him out of XII...and the game hardly changes.

Tidus' daddy issues are a little annoying - but they mattered at least :lol: .

Also...why do people think Cloud is a brooding kind of character? He's really not - at least not in VII. He's actually fairly upbeat - he's kind of a dick early on, though. Advent Children made him that brooding, emo kinda guy. He was like another Vincent or something.

• Like 1

Vaan was worse. I can at least remember Tidus. Vaan was one of the most forgettable, boring FF characters I ever saw. Take him out of XII...and the game hardly changes.

Tidus' daddy issues are a little annoying - but they mattered at least :lol: .

Also...why do people think Cloud is a brooding kind of character? He's really not - at least not in VII. He's actually fairly upbeat - he's kind of a dick early on, though. Advent Children made him that brooding, emo kinda guy. He was like another Vincent or something.

You should replay VII, Cloud is absolutely brooding and emo in the game, especially once he's actually Cloud. The first part of the game, Cloud is a selfish dick, not upbeat. For a couple hours, when you're with Aeris and he's still pretending he's Zack, he's not too emo, but he's still not upbeat, he's still kind of a dick. Anyway, once he remembers he's Cloud(remember the wheelchair zombie thing?), that's when he becomes all emo and starts brooding. Which is right when he stops pretending he's Zack and starts acting like Cloud.

You're right about Vaan though, he's pretty forgettable and boring, but that was the point of him. The events and people around him were supposed to be far more important and interesting than he was. He even talks about how he's basically just along for the ride. They were trying to make it different from past FF games. Where instead of centering the game on a certain character, they centered the game on the world.

• Like 1

You should replay VII, Cloud is absolutely brooding and emo in the game, especially once he's actually Cloud. The first part of the game, Cloud is a selfish dick, not upbeat. For a couple hours, when you're with Aeris and he's still pretending he's Zack, he's not too emo, but he's still not upbeat, he's still kind of a dick. Anyway, once he remembers he's Cloud(remember the wheelchair zombie thing?), that's when he becomes all emo and starts brooding. Which is right when he stops pretending he's Zack and starts acting like Cloud.

I already said that early on he was kind of a dick. The only reason he was even in AVALANCHE was because of Tifa, and the money.

Cloud is a young, fairly upbeat person. When he starts "acting emo" - it's because a hell of a lot has happened to him. He lost people he cared for immensely ( Aerith/Aeris, and realized Zack was actually dead ), became paralyzed after falling into the Lifestream, lost his mind essentially ( Scratch that..his entire damned psyche collapsed ), and realized he wasn't who he thought he was. He also blamed himself for those people's deaths.

What a wuss for having a literal mental breakdown.

That's not being "emo" - that's completely normal behavior. He had reason to act that way. It wasn't just "Oh, I'm me now, let me act all moody." People throw that word around, and I don't think they even know what it means. Just because someone is depressed, doesn't make them "emo" [Technically a person can't *be* an "emo", but that's another subject entirely.] Generally - the "emo" people tend to act the way they do purely for attention - it's why it gets a negative connotation. That's not the kind of character Cloud was.

He also wasn't negative all the time. He was actually fairly positive.

He's fairly human. Yeah, he was a bit brooding - but you would be too after everything he went through ( realizing that most of your life has been a delusional lie? Feeling like people died because you were to weak to save them? ). It's not like he was that way for the entire game. Like I said, it wasn't until Advent Children that he truly started acting the way people try to describe him - and even then, it's only in the first half of the movie, and he still has reason to [Despite seemingly being over his guilt by the end of 7, he still blames himself - which is revealed in the novella "Case of Tifa"].

At most, Cloud was a hothead - he was an angry kid after certain events transpired with Tifa in their childhood. But "emo"? By no stretch of the imagination does that fit. He was understandably emotional, not "emo". He didn't whine about his problems, he didn't seek attention - in no way is he really the modern stigma of what constitutes an "emo" hero. You pity him because he deserves pity, not because he wants you to pity him.

• Like 2

I already said that early on he was kind of a dick. The only reason he was even in AVALANCHE was because of Tifa, and the money.

Cloud is a young, fairly upbeat person. When he starts "acting emo" - it's because a hell of a lot has happened to him. He lost people he cared for immensely ( Aerith/Aeris, and realized Zack was actually dead ), became paralyzed after falling into the Lifestream, lost his mind essentially ( Scratch that..his entire damned psyche collapsed ), and realized he wasn't who he thought he was. He also blamed himself for those people's deaths.

What a wuss for having a literal mental breakdown.

That's not being "emo" - that's completely normal behavior. He had reason to act that way. It wasn't just "Oh, I'm me now, let me act all moody." People throw that word around, and I don't think they even know what it means. Just because someone is depressed, doesn't make them "emo" [Technically a person can't *be* an "emo", but that's another subject entirely.] Generally - the "emo" people tend to act the way they do purely for attention - it's why it gets a negative connotation. That's not the kind of character Cloud was.

He also wasn't negative all the time. He was actually fairly positive.

He's fairly human. Yeah, he was a bit brooding - but you would be too after everything he went through ( realizing that most of your life has been a delusional lie? Feeling like people died because you were to weak to save them? ). It's not like he was that way for the entire game. Like I said, it wasn't until Advent Children that he truly started acting the way people try to describe him - and even then, it's only in the first half of the movie, and he still has reason to [Despite seemingly being over his guilt by the end of 7, he still blames himself - which is revealed in the novella "Case of Tifa"].

At most, Cloud was a hothead - he was an angry kid after certain events transpired with Tifa in their childhood. But "emo"? By no stretch of the imagination does that fit. He was understandably emotional, not "emo". He didn't whine about his problems, he didn't seek attention - in no way is he really the modern stigma of what constitutes an "emo" hero. You pity him because he deserves pity, not because he wants you to pity him.

All I see is, "you're right, he is, and here's why," because fun fact, emo is short for emotional. Just because it's a word that gets misused by people seaking attention, doesn't mean that's the only definition of the word.

Awful things happen to Tidus, and he has his little spurts of emotions, but he doesn't dwell on them and brood for the entire game. Hell, he lost everything he'd ever known, including his mother and any friends he may have had, but he accepted it instead of cried about it.

Edited by ExHaseo

• 1 month later...

Im a big fan of the series, but since FFVII a lot of the main characters have been emo douchebags. (The only exception being FFIX - the characters in that game are great)

Its depressing, but it must be what sells, as square has stuck with it.

• 7 months later...

Sephiroth>Tidus>Cloud

Tidus has his shit together, unlike Cloud who was a dick and an emo brooder. Sephiroth crushes both of them regardless of whatever Deus Ex machina that led to Cloud winning in FF7.

In short, I felt Tidus was a bit of a whiner at times. At other times he actually serves as a important story device, as I always thought that Tidus was Yuna's inspiration and gave the group ideas about the Yevon being wrong. As Lulu aptly said, "You are really from a world without Sin, are you?", Tidus' new perspective pushed the group in different directions and had them thinking about things they didn't before. Yuna once mentioned that when she was growing up, she didn't think too much about why machina was wrong, just that the Yevon teachings said so, it wasn't until later with Tidus' influence that she started to doubt the teachings, even completely rejecting it in the end. And the biggest gripe I got was that it was difficult to note the change in Tidus from the beginning to the end with his seemingly poorly written character development.

• 2 months later...

Tidus can be annoying, but at the same time he is just meant to be a kid who is caught up in the middle of alot of adult themes. He has a fair bit of character progression, even though the voice actor + writing doesn't do a very good job of showing how he went from cocky kid to an adult with principles.

Auron is my favourite character - he should have been the main character - his character story would have worked just fine in place of Tidus' :)

This right here, although the voice acting did seem bad the replay on the remastered. Kinda sounded like a little cry baby sometimes with a very high pitch voice, but he is a kid none the less. Although his constant denying of things is silly, but some of it can be taken as being an optimist. IE: We can try to save Yuna! That is why I hate when people bash on FFXIII's Hope so hard, he was looks like he would be alot younger than Tidus and he should be a cry baby in that situation, even some of the older characters break. Plus he becomes a stronger person through the game, not to mention where his character is taken in FFXIII-2 and LR:FFXII.