5/10 Difficulty

LDN-Legend

Compared to what? This is quite a long and tedious game tbh. The average player could easily get stuck at the first Eidolon which is like 1% into the game. Even after a massive grind and gaining access to the more open world stuff, the game has only just begun. Not saying it's overly hard but there's certainly a magnitude of obstacles and hurdles. Who thinks this game is more like a maybe even a 7? Consider the preparation, map reading, grinding, understanding of mechanics, making sure to obtain every item etc. 

1 minute ago, s68sc said:

If I'm being honest this game is more like a 3/10 than a 5/10, if you use a proper guide

Compared to what though? Isn't Spyro the dragon a 3/10? Difficulty is subjective imo, dedication and time/effort must play into it?

Edited by LDN-Legend
  • Like 1

It is something like a 5. I don't remember it being hard, just grindy. You have to look out for lots of stuff but it is not a difficulty factor. It was one of my first platinums ever and I couldn't really compare it to anything then. I just remember it being quite normal. Especially compared to older entries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gommes_ said:

It is something like a 5. I don't remember it being hard, just grindy. You have to look out for lots of stuff but it is not a difficulty factor. It was one of my first platinums ever and I couldn't really compare it to anything then. I just remember it being quite normal. Especially compared to older entries.

i know what you mean, the battles haven't been too crazy etc. But just the map reading and keeping track over such a long amount of time. i thought I'd bash this out in a 2 days tbh. It's been like 5 now pretty hardcore and still going lmfao. 

I finished this not so long ago and definitely not doable in 2 days imo. The treasure hunter trophy alone is a grind plus getting all the traps and ingots relying heavily on rng and thats without 5 starring all ceith missions. Took me maybe 2 weeks of going hardcore and skipping all cutscenes. All in all took me maybe 110 hours though some was afk when I got bored of farming. 

Still 5/10 is pretty reasonable. Just requires a guide but not so much skill dependent. Crash 2 is a 6/10 and it's not harder than that and Monster Hunter World is a 4/10 though takes 300+ hours.  

Edited by Hitman_Spinksy1
  • Like 1

The idea is that if you use the guide, the game will be moderately difficult which is probably true.

It's not really great to compare the difficulty rating with other games because it's not the same author and because difficulty is pretty arbitrary in nature.

I try to think of it more as a barometer of what to expect. 3 or lower I can expect it to be easy for the most part, 4-6 I can expect there to be a little challenge to moderately difficult, 7-9 I can expect it to be very difficult and challenging, and 10 is probably extremely difficult and unlikely to plat.

• Like 2

I got the platinum in this game twice, on both my PSN accounts and I found it easy, although very long. There were no difficult trophies, it just requires a lot of patience. The first time took me 135 hours and the second took me 75 hours, as I only got three trapezohedrons and then to get the remaining three I just dismantled weapons and genji gloves to make the rest rather than wasting time getting materials to get all 6 tier three weapons, which would take like 50 extra hours. 

It was my very first PS3 game and first platinum on my old account, so I rated it as an easy platinum

1 hour ago, LDN-Legend said:

i know what you mean, the battles haven't been too crazy etc. But just the map reading and keeping track over such a long amount of time. i thought I'd bash this out in a 2 days tbh. It's been like 5 now pretty hardcore and still going lmfao. 

Dude it's like a 70 hour plat if your experienced with the game and are lucky with drops on trapz & stuff. I know my first playthrough even with a guide was  close to 120 due to farming materials and platinum ingots

The game difficulty is imo is roughly a 5 its not hard or really challenging but just long and requires alot of farming crystarium points and materials. Some of the ceith stone missions can be bothersome as well.

4 hours ago, s68sc said:

If I'm being honest this game is more like a 3/10 than a 5/10, if you use a proper guide

I tend to agree with this, but then again I'm a long time FF fan (played FFXI too lol, let's talk about grinding). 5/10 seems like a fair assessment if a bit high. I can't really rate it higher unless there's obvious missables, necessity to play through multiple times etc. I don't recall any peril here that doesn't give you a do-over, more like just trial and error for the stone missions and of course grinding. Final gametime was 120h. 

4 hours ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

I don't believe there are any mainline final fantasy titles that you can just bash out in 2 days. Unless you use cheats on 7-8 but if you don't, you wouldn't platinum either in 2 days. Seems like your expectations weren't realistic, most FF games take a while to plat.

Thought I'd poke my head in and say with the Pixel Remasters, FF1 is officially now the quickest mainline Plat at around 10 hours. I know where you're coming from though.

Games were harder back in the day. 10 years ago game which was voted 5/10 will be getting 7/10 today. Games from the 90s which were moderately difficult will now be voted as 9/10 by today’s crybabies.

For FFXIII I agree with 5/10. Some small challenge and quite a grind. Simpler than FFX

Edited by vanslayder
  • Like 1

Thought I should come back and post an update now that it's finished. Took 72 hours and (1 week, 1 day). In hindsight, comparing to other FF games, the battles were not as challenging although more grindy. Keeping track of weapons and Gil for Treasure Hunter was a noteworthy one. I'd give it a 5.5 based on other rather FF's. Also was this game rated 70 hours when i created this topic? Now it's 90 hours and unsure if it recently changed?

@MythRaider1994, @s68sc, @Gommes_, @Iker_01, @Silver-I-Chariot, @Hitman_Spinksy1, @Deadly_Ha_Ha, @Beyondthegrave07, @NorthPaul93, @Lava_Yuki, @Vault-TecPhantom, @Ultraxian, @Ninjise, @grilled_cheez_3, @vanslayder

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, LDN-Legend said:

Thought I should come back and post an update now that it's finished. Took 72 hours and (1 week, 1 day). In hindsight, comparing to other FF games, the battles were not as challenging although more grindy. Keeping track of weapons and Gil for Treasure Hunter was a noteworthy one. I'd give it a 5.5 based on other rather FF's. Also was this game rated 70 hours when i created this topic? Now it's 90 hours and unsure if it recently changed?

@MythRaider1994, @s68sc, @Gommes_, @Iker_01, @Silver-I-Chariot, @Hitman_Spinksy1, @Deadly_Ha_Ha, @Beyondthegrave07, @NorthPaul93, @Lava_Yuki, @Vault-TecPhantom, @Ultraxian, @Ninjise, @grilled_cheez_3, @vanslayder

This game can be platinum in 30 hours if you know what you are doing, it took me 75h because I didn't skip anything 

Difficulty rarely tells you the whole story,  it's made up by a  single person. and can be either underestimated, or overestimated.

In the case of FF13, your real roadblock happens to be the Treasure Hunter trophy, due to some accessories being missable, a large amount of weapons and accessories to collect, and no in-game counter telling you what to miss, all of these three obstacles aren't factored in when deciding the game's difficulty.

7 hours ago, LDN-Legend said:

I think 70-75 hours is reasonable, unless you want to get all 6 tier three weapons for all characters at the same time without dismantling, which would require tons of trapezohedron grinding. But if you don't care about that (like me), and just make and then dismantle everything to get the remaining stuff, it halfs the platinum time with how crap the drop rates are in this. Having platinumed the game twice, the first where I got all 6 T3 weapons without dismantling anything, it took 135 hours simply due to turtle grinding, which was double of my dismantling playthrough of only 75 hours. That one trophy and how you go about it makes a huge difference to gameplay time. Of course, unless you are super luck and just have tons of trapezohedron drops

Also this game doesn't have any NG+ or super bosses to even use the tier 3 weapons on, so getting them was pretty pointless. 

• Like 1

This was my second platinum, I think. It's been about 13 years since, so my memory is super fuzzy. But I felt 5/10 is probably fair. 

Some of the Cie'th stone missions were tricky, and without a guide, it's definitely difficult to beat enemies like Adamantoise. But my everlasting memory of the game was just the epic grind for platinum ingots and trapezohedrons. 

The grind wasn't a difficult one though, once your team was specc'd right. I wouldn't have a problem with any middle-of-the-road score of between 4 and 6 out of 10 for this tbh.